• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Kade

Haven't played since Phantom was added because of work but based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I'm in for a real treat in pubs tonight.

Maffis

I dont care that phantom is OP now. The game is in beta and he Will get nerfed eventually. What i dont like is an invisibility mechanic in such a fast paced game. It just ruins the feel when you now have to constantly slow down just to check your back. I dont like the Spy in TF2 either, but at least hes easy to kill when spotted now after the latest nerf to dead ringer.

Spookie

Another problem with the hero-style monetization is it kneecaps them from making huge changes when something is hugely wrong with balance (not saying that's the case here).

Yeah the buying of heroes is fucking bollocks. I've had teams which were incredibly successful because of the dynamic we had with the various characters working with their abilities. Paywalling them makes the game feel incredibly stale, incredibly quickly. I'm already feeling the pull of CS:GO and Dota 2 again.

Edit: annnnnd I'm done! Sick to death of having to grind to buy cards to be competitive and then buy heroes on top of that. Phantom was the cherry on top. If they ever review the monetisation to make it less like League of Bullshit I may come back.

I just had a game where our whole team rushed right on Underground, opened that door, and then rushed left, opened that door, and then tried to plant the main C4. Literally, the most coordination I've ever seen a group of randoms have was directed at doing the most idiotic strategy you could ever possibly do.

Just started playing tonight, and had a blast. The movement and gunplay both feel really great, and the secondary abilities for the various classes were fun to manage. The L4D approach to online multiplayer is also nice.

Unfortunate that the game's f2p.

NIN90

Just started playing tonight, and had a blast. The movement and gunplay both feel really great, and the secondary abilities for the various classes were fun to manage. The L4D approach to online multiplayer is also nice.

It'd be dead within weeks if it wasn't. That's just the nature of FPS on PC these days.

squall23

It'd be dead within weeks if it wasn't. That's just the nature of FPS on PC these days.
Well, it's not like there aren't better ways of doing F2P. I'd love if all the characters were free, but only Valve can do that and still profit from it I presume. I mean, it's what I fully expect if a TF3 were to ever happen.

Moobabe

I don't get this...

So you had a great a time, thought the game played really well but are turned off because it's not costing you any money?

Ok

Ok so I've been playing quite a bit, loving it, particularly the Medic.. however is there some unwritten rules to playing one? I've been vote kicked a few times now while on Medic.
(Haven't actually been removed from the match since the vote screen sits usually with only 2-3 people voting and it times out).

But I don't troll or run in head first and get killed... I stay behind and revive people, do my best to lay out med packs, (I prefer to play Sparks).

I guess my question is do you have any tips for playing Medic? do you always try to revive people?, is it ok to let people just die if it's clearly un safe? like someone who just constantly gets instantly downed again once revived, it just seems I get voted out for doing nothing other that trying my best, it's kinda sucked a bit of fun out of it for me.

I just tell myself people rage when loosing and blame the monk/medic :)

What will probably happen with the Phantom is they'll either nerf him or create an all new character from the ground up that directly counters him.

Phantom isn't even worth creating a character to directly counter. Simple team play counters him very well. But aside from that, we already have vasilli disabling his stealth/armor mechanic by using a sensor grenade. And in the near future we'll have another recon class that has infrared vision ability that will also help spot him.

There is a fourth recon merc that hasn't been talked about much, but I'm not sure how her ability interacts with phantom's cloaking but I wouldn't be surprised if you can spot phantom while using it. I'm actually not sure how aimee (maybe spelled wrong) changed since the last time I played her so she could have changed a lot.

In terms of phantom's balance, well, he is only 10 units faster than skyhammer but he has a smg so he should be faster regardless. 10 units being 400 vs 410. So like 2-3% faster than skyhammer.

I think people are really exaggerating the strength of phantom based on the way they feel about phantom when they die to him. Some weapon balancing is still needed imo, but not in a way that makes phantom weak but in a way that makes smg9 in particular slightly stronger imo.

Been playing this game for 2 hours and really liking it. 2 quick questions.

1) I have 29,000 credits already in 2 hours. Does it always unlock this fast? If so mercs costing as much as they do doesn't seem that bad.

2) Which merc should i buy first.

I don't get this...

So you had a great a time, thought the game played really well but are turned off because it's not costing you any money?

Ok

You can't understand that he'd rather just pay 20-50 euros for the game than have to deal with shitty f2p mechanics?

Älg

1) I have 29,000 credits already in 2 hours. Does it always unlock this fast? If so mercs costing as much as they do doesn't seem that bad.

Basically no. I've been playing for about 5 hours now, and after the inital influx of cash it really slows down. it seems to me as if you'll have to play for a loooong time if you want to buy mercs using in-game cash only.

There is a difference between what is really overpowered and what stops people having fun.

Sniping is clearly overpowered in this game but mostly you will not meet people who are good enough to take full advantage of this since you need a high level of aim or third party assistance.

But Phantom players with relatively low skill can go on large kill streaks in public games. But more importantly with client side hit detection and the way the odd way shield absorbs damage it can just feel that the game is broken. You don't feel that you were outplayed as much as the game is jank. This sort of thing can be make or break in terms of how players see a game. It's done damage to the perception of bigger name shooters like Battlefield.

Haven't played since Phantom was added because of work but based on what I'm reading here and elsewhere, I'm in for a real treat in pubs tonight.

Phantom has completely ruined casual.

In better news, it got me to start playing competitive and as expected, this game is soooo much better in competitive.

The onboarding process in this game is very generous and lets you quickly unlock some stuff so that you can unlock a merc that is suitable for your favourite play-style. When I started playing I earned enough credits to unlock 2 mercs on my first day. Past that the well has run real dry.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Here's info to what you get over the first 10 levels.

Code:
2 	? 	 	12,000 Credits + Loadout Case
3 	? 	 	Loadout Case
4 	? 	 	12,000 Credits + Loadout Case
5 	54,500 	 	Unlocks Competitive Mode
6 	126,500 	Unlocks grouping with friends
7 	300,000 	Loadout Case
8 	558,000 	Loadout Case
9 	903,500 	Loadout Case
10 	1,302,000 	Loadout Case

I like Proxy. She's a good objective based merc. She's on free rotation right now. I'd play all the free mercs and see. If none of them grab you wait for the next rotation.

.. and have a worthless game in 5 weeks because it's dead? I'd rather have an active F2P game with mild unlocks like in this game.

There have been games that do both. F2P, but have a 'buy everything relevant for a sane amount of money' option.

Smite seems to be doing fine.

Smite is free to play and you can dump a huge amount of cash into the cash shop with "gambling" purchases and everything. The only thing over the Dirty Bomb model is that the starter pack purchase gives you all the characters existing and unreleased. The character re skins in Dirty Bomb are also very minor. They don't change the appearance of characters much for what you pay for which makes the game have less of a sort of tacky free to play aesthetic where you have half the mercs dressed up as santa claus or giant blueberries or whatever. But it also means that there is not much money that will be made from cosmetics over new merc sales which is more of a problem for fairness.

Smite is also that particular company's third attempt (after abandoning two other games, one of which also had a "Buy Once" model). They just finally happened upon the right game at the right time.

Grief.exe

https://twitter.com/DirtyBomb/status/620639406144163840?s=15

Fletcher, *Fragger, and Arty?

CJz0P6iVAAAvE14.jpg

That character already exists
wN4RglO.jpg

I love that char, too bad medics in pubs are shit and Sawbonez is nowhere to be seen. Most of the time I end up playing Saw instead of what I really wanna play.
Phantom is getting a nerf regardless though, he's way too forgiving, even baddies can do decently with him and were they playing any other merc they'd get stomped into the ground.

Also, funny, every rotation following a merc release had said merc in it except for this one, except for Phantom. *tips tinfoil fedora*

I love that char, too bad medics in pubs are shit and Sawbonez is nowhere to be seen. Most of the time I end up playing Saw instead of what I really wanna play.
Phantom is getting a nerf regardless though, he's way too forgiving, even baddies can do decently with him and were they playing any other merc they'd get stomped into the ground.

Also, funny, every rotation following a merc release had said merc in it except for this one, except for Phantom. *tips tinfoil fedora*

I'm pretty sure they've always had like a full week or two before they go into free rotation.

I think if bad players are doing decent with him, they aren't as bad as you think. That said, using the sword isn't the highest skill thing in the game and SD already knows that. They said as much on stream. I don't think that is a good reason to nerf. Against good players, they'll still do pretty poorly. Only against other bad players will they do well.

I actually don't think he is that forgiving. If you miss a melee attack, you'll probably lose that fight even against 1 hittable opponents. Against 2 shot opponents, you need to take them by surprise or at a weak moment to take them out with melee.

I think he'll be tweaked, but not likely nerfed. Nerfing him too much at this point will make him worthless. He isn't even near top dog or anything like that.

Grief.exe

I feel forced into playing Bonez as that makes the most dramatic contribution to the team.

Most Pub games either don't have medics, or those playing medics have no intention of playing the class effectively.

I feel forced into playing Bonez as that makes the most dramatic contribution to the team.

Most Pub games either don't have medics, or those playing medics have no intention of playing the class effectively.

I think people still need to learn how to medic. Too often medics want to front line play. There is a medic that is somewhat better suited for frontline play, phoenix, but still a medic is most valuable in just poking damage while healing and reviving.

Phoenix is probably my favorite medic. I'll be getting him day 1. When phoenix comes out, people best learn his silhouette well cause you really want to gib those guys, or be prepared for when they self-revive.

Firebrand

Which is the best medic for supporting Rhino? I thought it'd be Aura since Sawbonez healing is cancelled by damage, but maybe not?

Got Fragger (free), Bushwhacker, Proxy and Sawbonez unlocked now. I think the credit gain rate is pretty generous for an F2P title, I've played about 40 hours. Phoenix looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want another medic at the moment. Turtle maybe if he should drop soon, but otherwise I think I'll go with Kira or Rhino. Thoughts on those? Bit skeptical to burst rifles still, but might suit Kira better than Fragger.

Moobabe

You can't understand that he'd rather just pay 20-50 euros for the game than have to deal with shitty f2p mechanics?

What's shitty about it? You play the game (which he openly enjoys) and earn credits (for free) which he can then buy characters or loadouts with.

OR you can spend money.

.. and have a worthless game in 5 weeks because it's dead? I'd rather have an active F2P game with mild unlocks like in this game.

And this. After Brink there's no way people would have dropped "20-50 euros" on a Splash Damage game.

Which is the best medic for supporting Rhino? I thought it'd be Aura since Sawbonez healing is cancelled by damage, but maybe not?

Got Fragger (free), Bushwhacker, Proxy and Sawbonez unlocked now. I think the credit gain rate is pretty generous for an F2P title, I've played about 40 hours. Phoenix looks interesting, but I'm not sure I want another medic at the moment. Turtle maybe if he should drop soon, but otherwise I think I'll go with Kira or Rhino. Thoughts on those? Bit skeptical to burst rifles still, but might suit Kira better than Fragger.

Ideally you want a Sawbonez with the potent packs augment (luckily it's in both of his best loadout cards) and maybe the revive augment.
An Aura that has her station on chokepoints/closed spaces also helps but as soon as there's Fraggers/Naders on the enemy team that know what they're doing you're gonna have a hard time. Don't know about Sparks, I haven't got the chance to play with a good one yet.

If I were you I'd save those credits until they announce the next merc, with Fragger/Bush/Sawbonez you already got a pretty solid squad.

Grief.exe

If I were you I'd save those credits until they announce the next merc, with Fragger/Bush/Sawbonez you already got a pretty solid squad.

Three of the best mercs in the game and they all offer different roles.

This is my same setup too, though I never play Fragger as I'm generally forced into playing Bonez.

Took a break from competitive these last two days, had a lot of fun on normal servers last night. Tried to play today, and had the most rage inducing teams I could possibly get. Back to competitive.

Took a break from competitive these last two days, had a lot of fun on normal servers last night. Tried to play today, and had the most rage inducing teams I could possibly get. Back to competitive.

Is it much different in competitive for you? If so, what is your rank?

Most of the time when I do ranked, while I get more co-operative teams on average, they are still relatively low levels facing other low levels. While that doesn't speak towards their individual skill, I feel like unless I am facing a premade team, it is the same degree of experience/skill players very often. And then when you do face a premade team (for some reason I seem to face them f8 guys way more often than I'd like), there is only a remote chance to win from the very beginning.

Is it much different in competitive for you? If so, what is your rank?

Most of the time when I do ranked, while I get more co-operative teams on average, they are still relatively low levels facing other low levels. While that doesn't speak towards their individual skill, I feel like unless I am facing a premade team, it is the same degree of experience/skill players very often. And then when you do face a premade team (for some reason I seem to face them f8 guys way more often than I'd like), there is only a remote chance to win from the very beginning.

Gold 2. I usually play with friends though. Competitive isn't some completely different land as far as skill goes, but people are more willing to communicate and less apt to do things that make no sense at all.

Gold 2. I usually play with friends though. Competitive isn't some completely different land as far as skill goes, but people are more willing to communicate and less apt to do things that make no sense at all.

Well, I have a completely different experience than you then. Cause I am finding the same level 5-7s in competitive that I am in casual (hell, sometimes I find higher levels just in casual/sever browser). And I'm gold 1. I haven't played ranked in a couple days though, I'll probably hop in tonight.

Playing with friends is almost like cheating for me. I think I have a 100% winrate except vs established teams or teams with hackers. I'd probably be a higher rank than I am now if I just stuck with it tbh.

edit:
First match... everyone is level 7 or lower and everyone is unranked. I go 65-20, carrying the hell out of my team and only winning by a few minutes because my team basically had no clue how to play the map. In fact, I'd wager I've had many better teams in casual.

edit:
Only on the fourth match... the fourth fucking match did it finally seem like a ranked match. My team was full of guys who clearly were still new at the game, but at least they were ranked. Unfortunately though, I am nearly positive the other team had a wall hacker, having perfectly cooked grenades each time I round the corner is not just blind luck or perfect timing with spawn waves.

You can probably see how frustrating it was. Match one... clueless teammates. Match two... clueless teammates. Match three... entirely clueless, but also matched vs a team on a laggy server (this should not be still happening in match making, everyone on the server was 80+ ping), match four wasn't entirely worthless teammates and was the only semi-worth it match.

1/4 matches... that was like an hour of gameplay that was just the worst. At least in casual play I don't care even if my team is outnumbered and outgunned. In ranked, I want to care... just doesn't seem worth ever going in solo I guess (I feel like it used to be fine to).

Tieske

Neo Member
Shotguns are OP in close range, as they should be.

Shotguns are honestly just garbage. For every merc who has access to shotguns, you have an alternative option that is pretty much better. Aura & Proxy have smg loadouts which are straight upgrades, fletcher uses the empire 9 as his primary and rhino is his minigun anyway

They have a niche up to 2 metres, but you can't hardly call that a niche. You're just limiting yourself playing shotty as a primary

Not to mention you cant even use a shotty properly now because of the godawful aimpunch. Baddies gonna bad

You can probably see how frustrating it was. Match one... clueless teammates. Match two... clueless teammates. Match three... entirely clueless, but also matched vs a team on a laggy server (this should not be still happening in match making, everyone on the server was 80+ ping), match four wasn't entirely worthless teammates and was the only semi-worth it match.

1/4 matches... that was like an hour of gameplay that was just the worst. At least in casual play I don't care even if my team is outnumbered and outgunned. In ranked, I want to care... just doesn't seem worth ever going in solo I guess (I feel like it used to be fine to).

I don't usually go in alone, since when I'm not playing with friends I'm on Hearthstone, but even I don't have that much bad luck. Maybe the game just hates you. :p

Does anyone even want Execution mode?

I think it is good thing to have some more variety. I'd like to see a domination type map, but if they do something like that it is probably far off.

These 1 stage maps take much less time to develop and balance so I don't think it takes too much away from developing the objective maps. Most of them are re-used assets, a lot looking like assets discarded from previous versions of objective maps like last week's was the fourth objective they removed from trainyard (the bomb location was that center area opening but there was only one).

Just got an email from Dirty Bomb giving me Fragger and 50K credits for free, as a thank you for being a valued player/customer.

"As a reward for your loyalty, Nexon would like to offer you the hard-hitting Mercenary, FRAGGER and 50,000 IN-GAME CREDITS FOR FREE.
Get your $20 of in game value with the code below."

Pretty cool.

Top Bottom