• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Grief.exe

Just got an email from Dirty Bomb giving me Fragger and 50K credits for free, as a thank you for being a valued player/customer.

"As a reward for your loyalty, Nexon would like to offer you the hard-hitting Mercenary, FRAGGER and 50,000 IN-GAME CREDITS FOR FREE.
Get your $20 of in game value with the code below."

Pretty cool.

That's a good deal!

Kade

Just got an email from Dirty Bomb giving me Fragger and 50K credits for free, as a thank you for being a valued player/customer.

"As a reward for your loyalty, Nexon would like to offer you the hard-hitting Mercenary, FRAGGER and 50,000 IN-GAME CREDITS FOR FREE.
Get your $20 of in game value with the code below."

Pretty cool.

I hope I get that email.

I played in the beta (or alpha maybe?) and have the ultimate starter pack so maybe that influenced it somehow? I went ahead and bought Phantom to have fun with his OPness before he's inevitably nerfed, he's really fun to play.

I participated in testing since alpha around march 2013 (got mah legendary founder pack with pride) and I have the ultimate starter pack (which also includes fragger doesn't it?) and I didn't get any free 50k credits
cry.gif

I don't really care, although I wouldn't turn away free credits.

sleepykyo

Player count seems to have leveled off the past two weeks, hope there's not a huge player drop coming.

I just uninstalled the games after deciding I can't stand Phantom. Like I don't think he is as strong as Vasili but I'm sick of stealth unit being tankier than most of my squad. I'm especially not fond of playing public games with multiple Phantoms in either team. So I'm pretty much done until he gets nerfed into oblivion.

I just uninstalled the games after deciding I can't stand Phantom. Like I don't think he is as strong as Vasili but I'm sick of stealth unit being tankier than most of my squad. I'm especially not fond of playing public games with multiple Phantoms in either team. So I'm pretty much done until he gets nerfed into oblivion.

Get on with six friends, have everyone play Phantom. It's a fantastic way to make friends.

The way people get so upset when you kill them with Phantom is more fun than actually playing with Phantom, it reminds me of the old Akimbo 1887 days of MW2, people just absolutely lose their minds when you use him.

Firebrand

Is the Blishlok supposed to be a good gun? Firing rate feels almost like a semi-automatic. Gonna have to try to get that KEK card on my Bushwhacker.

Firebrand

Maybe eventually, but it's not right now. SMG hierarchy is probably KEK>Crotz>SMG9>Blish>Hoch
Hmm, I see. But the Hoch feels pretty nice to fire at least. Anyway I lucked out and crafted a KEK card with Lock-On, feels a lot better.

I played in the beta (or alpha maybe?) and have the ultimate starter pack so maybe that influenced it somehow? I went ahead and bought Phantom to have fun with his OPness before he's inevitably nerfed, he's really fun to play.
I was in some Alpha while it required a Nexon account, don't think I got for anything it for it. I only played like 10 mins though so I probably don't deserve it. :p

I was in some Alpha while it required a Nexon account, don't think I got for anything it for it. I only played like 10 mins though so I probably don't deserve it. :p

The email is kind of weird it's titled "Get Your Dirty Bomb Starter Pack!" (which I already own), and the wording is weird to. Valued Player, check out the game we are calling you a valued player at, and enjoy this free code for being loyal to the game we are telling you to play!

Firebrand

Nah, didn't get anything, guessing you need to have spent some money on Nexon stuff. Maybe should have used up those NX points I had for some mysterious reason. :p

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
is there a way to message sony and this developer to get them talking about brining this game to consoles/ps4? I love the look of this game and tired of every fps out there currently on consoles, minus planet side 2 that is also f2p and on ps4

TVexperto

I played this game for many hours over the last week but I dont know .... I think I expected something more from the developers of Enemy Territory.

The matches I played had no real "team" feeling like in ET and something just feels of, I dont know if its the small maps oder something else.

HelloMeow

is there a way to message sony and this developer to get them talking about brining this game to consoles/ps4? I love the look of this game and tired of every fps out there currently on consoles, minus planet side 2 that is also f2p and on ps4

This game will be bad without a mouse/keyboard or massive aim assist.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
This game will be bad without a mouse/keyboard or massive aim assist.

dont see how just crank up the sensitivity and learn how to play the game with what you have, also aim assist for a fast paced game like this would be better without aim assist

NIN90

dont see how just crank up the sensitivity and learn how to play the game with what you have, also aim assist for a fast paced game like this would be better without aim assist

It just wouldn't work. This game requires consistent, precise aiming for headshots. It's already hard enough to do with a mouse given the fast paced nature of the game.

Firebrand

I don't think I'd say this, but there needs to be some automatic team balancing in non-ranked games, particularly stopwatch as much as it sucks being moved on your second round. Would obviously have to be weighted on time since join and contribution rather than being just random.

I don't mind playing through a round or two to completion even if we're getting completely stomped, but when the enemy are twice as many and camping your spawn... yeah, I think I'll just leave too if they refuse to balance it out. Those "Win" missions don't help I suppose.

I've played a little bit of this lately and it's pretty decent, but the F2P stuff is kind of gross.
It is a little, but as far as F2P games go the grind isn't too bad. Just note that they throw a lot of credits at you at the start so spend them carefully and consider that the 30K mercs are in the Starter bundle. The price of the mercs in real money is a bit high though, I could consider dropping €5 on a merc I'm interested in but not €10.

mkenyon

Banned
They have stated there is absolutely zero interest in this. The team is too small to put any effort into a port, as they'd have to make dramatic changes to the game to make it playable on console. Merc balance would have to be totally different.

It is a little, but as far as F2P games go the grind isn't too bad. Just note that they throw a lot of credits at you at the start so spend them carefully and consider that the 30K mercs are in the Starter bundle. The price of the mercs in real money is a bit high though, I could consider dropping €5 on a merc I'm interested in but not €10.

The bundles they sell in their store are that price I believe (can't say for euro). I think they are $15usd for 3 so 5 a pop but you can't quite choose exactly what you want.

Kade

I don't think I've ever seen a team shuffle vote go through. Should just be automatic on the Nexon/quick play public servers.

I don't think I've ever seen a team shuffle vote go through. Should just be automatic on the Nexon/quick play public servers.

From what I understand, it does shuffle but based on past performance. It just doesn't do it right before the round begins, so if people switch teams or leave teams after the shuffle, it ends up not being balanced often.

So if people stop leaving after every single match... then matches become more balanced.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Disagree strongly. It took me ~12 hours game-time to get 50K credits during Double Credits last week. If that's "double credits" I can't imagine how the grind is without that 200 base credit round end.

Grind for characters is too damn high, and they give you a bunch of cards for characters you can't even use because you haven't unlocked them yet. :|

In any case: Don't care much for Extraction or whatever that one-life to live mode is. Makes Phantom a little too good to knock entire teams out and feels like it goes against the "class based" nature of the game.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, Extraction is fucking awful. Every time they add it back in, everyone hates it, then they try bringing it back again.

What the fuck SD? I know you've put time into it, but just know when to let something die. Put your effort into more maps or something instead.

Firebrand

Disagree strongly. It took me ~12 hours game-time to get 50K credits during Double Credits last week. If that's "double credits" I can't imagine how the grind is without that 200 base credit round end.

Grind for characters is too damn high, and they give you a bunch of cards for characters you can't even use because you haven't unlocked them yet. :|
It's still a substantial amount of hours, yeah. :p But that's probably still generous compared to some other F2P games. Hell, last time I played Battlefield 2 I estimated I had to play 50 hours just to get another weapon unlock, hah. I think it does hurt the game a bit that you can't pick good counters and interesting team combinations as freely.

Not feeling Extraction either, without interesting objectives and secondary objectives, why even play Dirty Bomb? Probably won't help the playerbase either to split them across too many modes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's still a substantial amount of hours, yeah. :p But that's probably still generous compared to some other F2P games. Hell, last time I played Battlefield 2 I estimated I had to play 50 hours just to get another weapon unlock, hah. I think it does hurt the game a bit that you can't pick good counters and interesting team combinations as freely.

BF2 doesn't extremely gimp you though. Those 50 to the next unlock doesn't mean much when you can answer with the default guns.

Here, you're restricted to two starting classes and whatever rotates. You see so many phantoms that you want to try it yourself or attempt to counter the one on the other team? Too bad, you have to grind for 12+ hours before you can do that for each character.

I really hope Street Fighter 5's attempt at doing this isn't as grindy as Dirty Bomb's or Leagues. Terrible terrible system to stop people from being able to use any character as they see fit in an attempt of inflating gametime.

BF2 doesn't extremely gimp you though. Those 50 to the next unlock doesn't mean much when you can answer with the default guns.

Here, you're restricted to two starting classes and whatever rotates. You see so many phantoms that you want to try it yourself or attempt to counter the one on the other team? Too bad, you have to grind for 12+ hours before you can do that for each character.

I really hope Street Fighter 5's attempt at doing this isn't as grindy as Dirty Bomb's or Leagues. Terrible terrible system to stop people from being able to use any character as they see fit in an attempt of inflating gametime.

Huh? I have almost every merc unlocked but I play the default one all the time because skyhammer can kill and deal with everyone, including phantom.

Plus just about anyone has the opportunity to get fragger for free, whether by giveaways or by using the free credits you get from leveling up. And fragger is much stronger than phantom.

ArcLyte

Played this for a few hours yesterday... and all i really got out of it was an intense urge to:

A. Uninstall it
B. Play TF2

Played this for a few hours yesterday... and all i really got out of it was an intense urge to:

A. Uninstall it
B. Play TF2

I think in terms of shooting and movement, the games are not even comparable. TF2 never even remotely held my interest like DB.

On a separate note, since blacklight retribution is supposed to get some big update on the 22nd, I decided to try that out again. And oh boy... that game... movement is about 100x worse than DB and shooting is eratic and terrible ever since they changed like 2 years after release.

Xyber

Any good tips for a new player?
Started playing it yesterday and i like it.

Give ammo to everyone you see whether they ask for it or not whenever you pick a class with ammo.
Pick a class based on what the team needs, not always just what you want to play.
Play the objective.

NIN90

NuKERxyz

Thank you all for helping!
Loving Arty and Skyhammer so far, btw what happens in rank play? Im almost level 5, so im curious. Got great games cause teams where playing for the objective and i like the flow of the match.

Tabby

Thank you all for helping!
Loving Arty and Skyhammer so far, btw what happens in rank play? Im almost level 5, so im curious. Got great games cause teams where playing for the objective and i like the flow of the match.

5 v 5 stopwatch mode.

I've only played it once and our team were all under level 7s while being matched with a team full of level 13s+. We got rekt.

Kade

Fine Tuning Update

General Gameplay
Reduced the amount of kick when receiving damage, to compensate for the recent update to view-kick functionality
Players will now only spawn in game after choosing a Merc, once a map is loaded
Deployables are now easier to place in tighter spaces

Fletcher
Reclaiming a Sticky Bomb now only returns 50% of the cooldown

Fragger
Fixed bug where pressing '4' could cause a Frag Grenade to be thrown
Phantom

Phantom's health has been lowered to 110hp (from 120hp)
Refractive Armor maximum recharge time increased to 10s (from 6s)
Taking damage that exceeds remaining Refractive Armor energy will now also eat into health
Heartbeat Sensor detection no longer disables Refractive Armor, but will still spot Phantom
Refractive Armor no longer prevents gas damage from eating into health
Refractive Armor is now slightly more visible when Phantom is moving
Cloaking/de-cloaking audio is now more audible to other players

Sparks
REVIVR now deals the correct amount of damage to objectives
REVIVR battery now begins draining immediately, rather than when minimum charge is reached
Increased the rate at which the REVIVR battery is depleted while charging shots by 10%
Enemy REVIVR shots are now seen as orange in-game

Ranged Weapons
K-121 Machine Gun - Reduced spread and recoil by ~5%
PDP-70 Automatic Sniper Rifle - This will no longer insta-gib players if it kills with a headshot
KEK-10 SMG - Bullet spread now increases ~7% faster than before while firing
Crotzni SMG - Bullet spread now increases ~10% faster than before while firing

Melee Weapons
Added a turn-speed-limit for melee attacks to prevent exploits and to reward initial aim
This will be fine-tuned based on player feedback and metrics
Cricket Bat - Reduced run speed when equipped by 2.5%
Katana - Reduced run speed when equipped by 2.5%
Katana - Secondary attacks now deal damage for a shorter period of time

Augments
Chopper Augment melee damage bonus reduced to +15% (down from +20%)
Lock-On Augment now correctly reduces Turret lock-on times
Steady Augment now correctly adds health to all deployables
Flying Pig Augment now correctly negates all fall damage

Game Improvements
General
Reworked the in-game Mission system
XP Mission values updated so Game Mode and Support are now quicker to complete
Removed 'Win X Matches' missions as they were incentivizing unbalanced matches
Added new missions for Competitive Matches, the Execution Game Mode and Secondary Objectives
Updated Merc missions to be based around earning the appropriate XP type instead of playing 'X' matches
Clamped a number of video settings to address exploits, such as completely disabling particle effects
Updated the auto-detect settings when the game is first run to apply more appropriate graphics presets (High, Med, Low)
Updated the Competitive Matchmaking algorithm so it spends more time searching for players of closer skill-ratings

User Interface
Added Steam related options to the right click drop down panel on the scoreboard
Updates to the Spectator HUD:
Minimap now increases in size and shows all players with the correct team colors
Chat has been moved to the top left and players names are also correctly colored
Objective HUD is now positioned in the centre

Visual Effects
Improved the visual effects when Phantom is shot while his Refractive Armor is active
Updated the effects when a player is revived with defibs/REVIVR
Updated the REVIVR firing and impact effects
Improved the Katana trail effects
Made the Orbital Strike effects a little more impressive
Updated Skyhammer's Airstrike explosion effects

Audio
Added new firing audio for the Blishlok SMG
Tweaked footstep audio volume and falloff to make them more audible
Improved the mix for all weapon audio, including slightly quieter surface impacts
Frag Grenade bounces are now slightly louder when in range
Added exertion audio for Sparks when she is incapacitated or killed
Added glass sounds for large and medium windows
Notable Bug Fixes
Fixed bug where players could be stuck after being revived
Fix for players sometimes not seeing the MM ranking in the game overview screen
Optimized UI code to aid Minimap performance
Removed the silencer from the Selbstadt .40 Pistol icon
Fixed several issues with Mounted Gun audio

-- Team Dirty Bomb --

Neol

Added a turn-speed-limit for melee attacks to prevent exploits and to reward initial aim

rip beyblade

I say those phantom nerfs are pretty fair. Still see him wreck in low level pub servers but from reading this its gonna make it way harder to just run in and right click enemies especially with the cloak and secondary katana attack tweaks.

Also those gun nerfs are pretty fair too. Crotzni and kek-10 are too good atm and a good vassili with a pdp is annoying to deal with.

NIN90

They increased the topKEK spread by 7% (which is fair) but also increased the Crotzni's by 10%.

My head is full of fuck.

Top Bottom