• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

exclusive dirty bomb screenshot after the update

graybox.jpg

review and interview: http://www.themarysue.com/dirty-bomb-review-interview/

^ so did you upgrade your PC? Last time you said you got 20-40 fps
Forgot about this thread, yeah I did.
Got an i5 4690 k and a gtx 970 now
Though the game doesn't seem to actually use my gpu, I have the same fps with the new one as I did with the old hd6870, my gpu is just idling at 20-30 percent:\

I'm not sure why as I'm not cpu limited at all either (cpu sits at 40 percent ish on each core)

At least now it's playable (70-100 fps) with the new cpu while before it wasn't (20-40 fps)

:( Going down hard.

VvlSwRO.png

What's this all about?
Did something happen in the game? I haven't played in a few days

Tabby

Forgot about this thread, yeah I did.
Got an i5 4690 k and a gtx 970 now
Though the game doesn't seem to actually use my gpu, I have the same fps with the new one as I did with the old hd6870, my gpu is just idling at 20-30 percent:\

I'm not sure why as I'm not cpu limited at all either (cpu sits at 40 percent ish on each core)

At least now it's playable (70-100 fps) with the new cpu while before it wasn't (20-40 fps)

What's this all about?
Did something happen in the game? I haven't played in a few days

If I had to guess I'd say a mixture of increase in hackers/cheats, release of Phantom lead people away and some fans feel there hasn't been enough development in the game since CB.

If I had to guess I'd say a mixture of increase in hackers/cheats, release of Phantom lead people away and some fans feel there hasn't been enough development in the game since CB.

A friend was complaining about red eye being annoying as shit or something but other than that I hadn't heard complaints.
There's hackers n cheaters?:(

Xyber

A friend was complaining about red eye being annoying as shit or something but other than that I hadn't heard complaints.

Yeah, I've run into quite a lot of them recently. Killed my will to play it at all for the most part.

Tabby

Nah, not in my experience. Phantom on release was way, way worse.

I've only ran into them once but seems like there's quite a few, which is I guess to be expected since there's no anti-cheat in place at the moment.

Doesn't help that one SD team is working on that GOW port. If I had to choose between a port a yet another cover based third person shooter and Dirty Bomb I'd choose DB thank you very much.

Firebrand

I still enjoy the game quite a bit,run into a couple of hackers but so far not a regular thing. Don't understand why they don't at least try VAC, met a very obvious cheater earlier that was playing on his VAC-banned account. That shouldn't happen.

Community is overall pretty bad though. lots of immature namecalling and people tend to not want to even out teams but instead take the opportunity to spawncamp and congratulate themselves afterwards. Sad.

And oh, Alienware giveaway (Aura and Skyhammer loadouts) is available again for those who missed it.

Kade

I haven't played in a while because of a few new games plus the Dota 2 International hype. Most importantly, I'm the only one in my group of friends who plays and none of them want to even try it despite it being free and pretty easy to get into. Activity on my friends list has died down too with everyone going back to CS:GO or Dota 2. I love the game but I'd love it more with my crew.

HelloMeow

I'm not playing it as much anymore. It's just a handful of maps and I don't feel like dong the same ones over and over.

mkenyon

Banned
Matchmaking is shit. You wait forever to get into a game, and probably every other match is filled with hackers.

Hackers are less frequent in pubs, but they show up from time to time.

The performance has somehow gotten worse, worse than in Alpha with every single merc released.

People got really mad at Aim Punch + Phantom, then the SMG change and the extremely dumb "fix" to Phantom melee of making your mouse useless during melee.

It was just a string of really really bad decisions without fixing the rising issues that have been there since open beta launch. Now that the playerbase is dying out, the core hype machine has died out as well.

Shit, watch the weekly livestreams. Everyone looks depressed and totally not enthused.

Just had a Sniper go 100/8, doing 180 headshots and near insta kills with the Machine Pistol. Swore up and down that it was all "practice" even though he'd only logged 7 hours in the game.

sleepykyo

I've stopped playing it as much mainly due to maps getting repetitive and the constant amount of games with stacked teams.

I've never seen a shuffle vote pass in over fifty hours of Dirty Bomb. Where as shuffle servers, shuffle votes and hacker kicks were relatively common in TF2.

Matchmaking is shit. You wait forever to get into a game, and probably every other match is filled with hackers.

Hackers are less frequent in pubs, but they show up from time to time.

The performance has somehow gotten worse, worse than in Alpha with every single merc released.

People got really mad at Aim Punch + Phantom, then the SMG change and the extremely dumb "fix" to Phantom melee of making your mouse useless during melee.

It was just a string of really really bad decisions without fixing the rising issues that have been there since open beta launch. Now that the playerbase is dying out, the core hype machine has died out as well.

Shit, watch the weekly livestreams. Everyone looks depressed and totally not enthused.

ew matchmaking:\
I guess this is why my (limited, I've spent like 10 hours playing this week) experience is so different.
I just find a server I like in the browser and stay on it till I'm done.

Performance needs fixing indeed.

Still, they're still patching the game right, you can't like every change.
I remember trying it again a few months ago and feeling disgusted at the state of the game back then (endless explosives spam from naders killed any semblance of playing a game of rtcw)
Now it feels like they made the ttk longer again than it was a few months ago (I could be wrong, but at one point it felt like cod to me where if I got shot at I'd have no chance to make it behind cover or to turn around and shoot back, now it feels a LOT more like a pc game to me.
Consolitis style TTK ruined planetside 2 for me before so I'm glad it didn't infect this game.

Imo you should also remind yourself that dirty bomb is still a unicorn in rarity.
-hipfire
-fast movement
-high ttk
-focus on headshots
-the maps (while there's not many) are really fucking good and fun
-dedicated servers
-GOOD netcode (seriously there's under a handful of games on pc that have good netcode)
-proper 1:1 raw mouse input without acceleration , smoothing or input lag
-no strawberry jam on your screen

Many of these are extremely rare to find in modern games, finding all of them at once hasn't happened since cs go released.

There's exactly 3 games like it on pc...
tf2, cs go, natural selection 2... and now this

It's not perfect (I wish it wasn't f2p, I wish there was mod support, I wish there'd be community ran servers, I see you asking for 5v5 matchmaking only and it puzzles me, if this game didn't have its worthless 'ranked' matchmaking mode or regular matchmaking then it would actually have a lot more server communities, cs go suffers from the same problem from what I can tell , I never see the same people on the same servers)
You may have gripes with buffs/nerfs and current patch changes (heh you have no idea how upset I was with the cs 1.6 patch let alone cs go and I myself was upset with what an explosive spam shitfest dirty bomb was at one point)

But a single developer after so many years makes a proper pc shooter for a proper pc niche shooter audience and then that niche audience rejects it?
We don't have the luxury to reject it...
I've been starving for something like a proper RTCW sequel or just ANY hipfire shooter with good netcode for like 10 years now, and I know you have been too.

The entire pc community plays cs go (while I love cs it was the call of duty or fifa of its time and it still is, standards and expectations have just been lowered to where now cs is 'hardcore' ) not nearly enough people stuck with ns2, now I see people ready to abandon dirty bomb.

If the new UT fails after this then the pc community never gets to whine about wanting pc oriented shooters again, because clearly the audience is just not there.

I think it's worth to stop and think of how the planets have aligned for a game like dirty bomb to even exist in 2015

Even teams would be less of an issue if the game was entirely based around 5v5 matchmaking. If only.
Uh no, as long as all the level 20s who can't seem to ever do bad are put on one team, no amount of small team matchmaking will fix that.

Edit: ^To Sneakystephen, not trying to discount your points but I think you might be overselling this game. It has plenty of things that would sell to a somewhat large audience but the devs themselves haven't put the work in yet to actually do that.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The entire pc community plays cs go (while I love cs it was the call of duty or fifa of its time and it still is, standards and expectations have just been lowered to where now cs is 'hardcore' ) not nearly enough people stuck with ns2, now I see people ready to abandon dirty bomb.

If the new UT fails after this then the pc community never gets to whine about wanting pc oriented shooters again, because clearly the audience is just not there.

I think it's worth to stop and think of how the planets have aligned for a game like dirty bomb to even exist in 2015

I don't think there isn't an audience. I think NS2 it a little too gimmicky with its asynchronous gameplay, and DB's recent dropoff in popularity is due to problems with the development, not the game itself. DB was on a pretty solid upswing until the Phantom release, smg/melee nerf, and hacker problems.

Seems like we're getting phoenix or turtle next. I am gonna get either of those day 1 cause phoenix is my favorite medic from alpha/beta phases and turtle was never in any testing phase that has been open to public (even in alpha testing) and I really only have 1 engineer unlocked still.

This prediction is based off a response by shoe in a thread about the next merc

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/45734-Public-voting-for-next-merc?p=536724#post536724

"We're 100% set on who it is, I just couldn't remember at that moment. On top of it again now though. Some of you are close"

Since he said "some", you can eliminate the suggested that only happened by 1 person which means phoenix or turtle. Now this is based on several assumptions so can't take this as 100% set in stone, it could also be stoker or thunder (the other two suggestions) and I would be happy with any of those 4 (really happy with stoker).

edit:

Also, the game is still fun as fuck. I was taking some time off it to feed an ARK addiction but really sad to see this game's numbers dipping. I read a PC gamer article saying why people should be playing dirty bomb.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dirty-bomb-play/

Some of the comments point to anti-cheat being a big deal. I agree. Lack of maps. I agree. Basically more content (still a handful of mercs we know about coming) and anti-cheat (god damn they are taking long) are needed. Splash damage is in this for the long run, so I think these issues will be addressed, I just hope they address them and the game's pop takes an upswing.

Also, optimization.

Taborcarn

A couple weeks ago whenever I would check Twitch there were at least a couple hundred viewers combined watching Dirty Bomb stream. Last night there was a grand total of 8 viewers. I'm only counting viewers on the (singular) stream where someone was actually playing. There were a few other streams that were tagged as Dirty Bomb, but the streamer was actually playing either CS, LoL, or Dota.
BibleThump.png

squall23

Boy, I can't wait to get a silver that'll be completely useless to me. Seriously though, I just want one gold card so I can at least say I have a card of every standard rank.

Mulgrok

ew matchmaking:\
I guess this is why my (limited, I've spent like 10 hours playing this week) experience is so different.
I just find a server I like in the browser and stay on it till I'm done.

Performance needs fixing indeed.

Still, they're still patching the game right, you can't like every change.
I remember trying it again a few months ago and feeling disgusted at the state of the game back then (endless explosives spam from naders killed any semblance of playing a game of rtcw)
Now it feels like they made the ttk longer again than it was a few months ago (I could be wrong, but at one point it felt like cod to me where if I got shot at I'd have no chance to make it behind cover or to turn around and shoot back, now it feels a LOT more like a pc game to me.
Consolitis style TTK ruined planetside 2 for me before so I'm glad it didn't infect this game.

Imo you should also remind yourself that dirty bomb is still a unicorn in rarity.
-hipfire
-fast movement
-high ttk

-focus on headshots
-the maps (while there's not many) are really fucking good and fun
-dedicated servers
-GOOD netcode (seriously there's under a handful of games on pc that have good netcode)
-proper 1:1 raw mouse input without acceleration , smoothing or input lag
-no strawberry jam on your screen

Many of these are extremely rare to find in modern games, finding all of them at once hasn't happened since cs go released.

There's exactly 3 games like it on pc...
tf2, cs go, natural selection 2... and now this

It's not perfect (I wish it wasn't f2p, I wish there was mod support, I wish there'd be community ran servers, I see you asking for 5v5 matchmaking only and it puzzles me, if this game didn't have its worthless 'ranked' matchmaking mode or regular matchmaking then it would actually have a lot more server communities, cs go suffers from the same problem from what I can tell , I never see the same people on the same servers)
You may have gripes with buffs/nerfs and current patch changes (heh you have no idea how upset I was with the cs 1.6 patch let alone cs go and I myself was upset with what an explosive spam shitfest dirty bomb was at one point)

But a single developer after so many years makes a proper pc shooter for a proper pc niche shooter audience and then that niche audience rejects it?
We don't have the luxury to reject it...
I've been starving for something like a proper RTCW sequel or just ANY hipfire shooter with good netcode for like 10 years now, and I know you have been too.

is CS:GO different from all the other incarnations of CS where it was slow as hell movement, 1 shot kills, crouching constantly instead of hipfire?

is CS:GO different from all the other incarnations of CS where it was slow as hell movement, 1 shot kills, crouching constantly instead of hipfire?

The very next line that you didn't bold said 'focus on headshots'

cs has a high time to kill compared to cod and planetside 2 and battlefield etc where you just spray at center mass and kill someone within half a second.

What does crouching have to do with hipfire?
Hipfire means you shoot without using aim down sights.

But yes, cs does not have fast movement.
the other 567779597 things I listed that are rare in shooters these days still apply to cs, including hipfire and time to kill.

Getting fast kills with headshots is a good thing and applies to dirty bomb and even unreal tournament as well.

Planetside 2 has a 2x headshot multiplier like Dirty Bomb. The Planetside 2 equivalent of an AK is 2 headshot one body to kill or 5 body at 500 rpm with an uncontrollable recoil pattern. AK in CS Go is 1 hs or 3 body at 600 rpm with a totally controllable recoil pattern. As you can see the ttk is longer either way.

FPS where you don't aim for the head every time are very rare I think.

Planetside 2 has a 2x headshot multiplier like Dirty Bomb. The Planetside 2 equivalent of an AK is 2 headshot one body to kill or 5 body at 500 rpm with an uncontrollable recoil pattern. AK in CS Go is 1 hs or 3 body at 600 rpm with a totally controllable recoil pattern. As you can see the ttk is longer either way.

FPS where you don't aim for the head every time are very rare I think.

Many modern military COD-esque FPS games don't require or really promote headshots. I think FPS where you should aim for the head every time is rarer than the opposite.

There has been more of a resurgence of skill based fps lately though. But your COD + BF type games don't really require headshots in the same way that DB does and for a while those type of games were dominant in numbers I think - and probably still are.

Just had my first experience with shuffle teams. I had just joined the lobby a few minutes prior and was just messing around with red eye. I'm pretty bad with him but I can at least take down noobs fairly well. Someone was complaining about shuffle not going through or what not. So I look at the teams at they are pretty stacked. 4 level 15-20s plus me on one team. So I figured what the hell, and voted yes next time. It passed and this is what happened: everyone but me died and swapped teams. So I was on defense with the OP team, and then I was on defense with the UP team + me. It calculated my skill so high that it had to put every other good player in the room against me.

After that someone did a shuffle and it passed again and teams didn't even swap at all. I found the situation pretty damn humorous cause I was just messing around and I haven't even played much in like 2 weeks. All shuffle did was screw me
laugh.gif

NIN90

Jesus Christ. If they really want to sell these elite cases then they really need to adjust the rarity percentages. The chances for Gold and Cobalt are abysmal.

Jesus Christ. If they really want to sell these elite cases then they really need to adjust the rarity percentages. The chances for Gold and Cobalt are abysmal.

Nothing in this game is worth spending money on except for the bundles if they have 3 mercs you don't already have.

I'd spend more money on the game if they provided better value for sure.

Grief.exe

Got a gold Kira card, will trade for Sawbonez or Bushwhacker when Splash Damage implements that functionality.

Anyone tried the Red Eye merc? I really liked him in pubs during the closed beta.

They should probably reduce the pricing on the elite cases. Even though they are completely optional, it seems a bit expensive for a random case. I'm actually okay with getting silvers in this system since I'll probably end up using trade up to get it changed to a specific merc.

On that note, I hope they add like a side-trade up. I wouldn't mind paying a bit of credits just to change the merc or re-roll the loadout for a loadout card.

Got a gold Kira card, will trade for Sawbonez or Bushwhacker when Splash Damage implements that functionality.

Anyone tried the Red Eye merc? I really liked him in pubs during the closed beta.

Are they actually doing that? I haven't been keeping up with development news for a couple weeks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Oh, so getting Gold is good? I wanted Colbalt Phantom. Missed a Colbat Porxy.

Oh well, not like I'm playing this very often so I doubt the Gold Bushwacka I got will get use anyway. :/

Many modern military COD-esque FPS games don't require or really promote headshots. I think FPS where you should aim for the head every time is rarer than the opposite.

There has been more of a resurgence of skill based fps lately though. But your COD + BF type games don't really require headshots in the same way that DB does and for a while those type of games were dominant in numbers I think - and probably still are.

To be fair I've only played like 30 minutes of CoD since CoD 4 so I wouldn't know.

Top Bottom