• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

Wew, baddies in full meltdown mode over Rhino's slight speedbuff when they should be worried about the Ahnuld, and even then I doubt this will make Rhino any more viable than the other assaults.
My Fletcher is gonna like this quite very much tho, the Blishlock+Quickdraw loadout was the best one, let's see if this changed anything.

Wow, this new patch looks fantastic. Tons of weapon buffs, turn speed reduction fully removed, and anti-cheat! I'll admit I'm a bit sour about these continued Crotzni nerfs, but the gun really does deserve them.

It's all part of their master plan to make the SMG-9 not shit by making all the other SMGs as shitty as it is.
though I guess they could just straight buff it and leave that poor Sawbonez alone

The changes seem mostly reasonable. I actually just bought a crotzni build for sawbonez like yesterday lol, so now if smg9 is a viable choice I won't mind it (because of founder loadout card is smg9 and pretty decent) but yeah...

I'm excited to see timik47 buff. Kinda love that weapon.

Mulgrok

The FoV in this game sucks ass... I set it to minimum and everyone is still tiny. Trying to shoot anyone is like a freaking pixel hunt. Is there any way to alter the FoV so it doesn't suck ass?

The spread for the timik47 feels closer to what it was before they made movement affect spread so much so I am very much in favor with this patch atm.

The new anti-cheat thing sounds promising, but I've already been called a hacker lol.

The other thing I noticed lately (but its probably always been like this) is that it aggressively tries to balance everyone against me. Every match now is like lvl 5s-7s on my team vs a team of level 15s-20s. It is pretty painful since I can't solo a team who is half decent. It wasn't so bad every single round I played at least. But it is especially painful when I am trying to learn a new merc and pretty disheartening when I play medic and no one else on my team has enough aim or smarts to take advantage of it.

Firebrand

According to this Reddit poster this month's PC Gamer (US presumably) contains a code for Fragger + 50K credits. Probably wouldn't make much sense to go out and buy it just for that, but if you're subscribing or knows somebody who does, neat.

Nice, day 1 phoenix for me. But man, I really want stoker. I'd probably play a lot more if I had stoker already. I'm actually kind of annoyed they've decided to wait so long to get stoker back into the game.

Beardy

Seeing as how nobody has linked it supposedly, DBNation is here to fill in the gap left behind by DirtyCups.

http://dbn.gg/

We've recently started a regular PUG service after finishing our first Invite Cup. Take the times listed with a grain of salt, because PUGs are happening any time of day and don't necessarily follow the schedule we've outlined.

Phoenix is my favorite medic of the mercs in the game in the alpha. Now all they have to do is release thunder (favorite soldier) and stoker (favorite supply) and I'll be happy. I never had a favorite engineer or sniper.

Firebrand

Not feeling Phoenix so much just yet, he's got the KEK but other than that I think prefer Sawbonez. I guess with Phoenix I don't have to be frustrated about people dodging every medpack I throw at them, only to turn around to me and yell 'MEDIC!'.

Sparks is the most fun medic to play though. Pew pew!

113 hours playing. I'm burned out, game was fun. But the drip feeding of content killed it for me.

5 maps is far too little there should be 8-10 by now. And lack of modes is just disappointing.

Welp it's been fun, I miiiiight be back when there's more content. That is if the game survives the upcoming onslaught of Overwatch, Paladins, Battleborn and Gigantic

Tabby

Is there any reason why development for this game is so slow?
Feels like there's been no new content since open beta bar 3/4 mercs.

This game is a side project for them. Their main job is creating MP modes for AAA games like Gears of War.

I get why you get that impression, but seeing as this is splash damage's own IP that they plan on supporting for a long time, I really doubt they see it as a side project.

Content has been slow throughout development though. I expect it is because of a lot, and I mean a lot, of design changes. Most of these maps were very different throughout different points in the alpha/closed beta.

Saprol

I like how they're waiting to see how angry people get over the trade-in restriction before deciding whether to remove it or not.

Saprol

Almost as good as raising prices just before a sale.

There's no such requirement for trading up yet they're doing it for this.

Almost as good as raising prices just before a sale.

There's no such requirement for trading up yet they're doing it for this.

I'm a little confused. You're talking about the feature people asked for to make use of cards the don't use right?

You're talking about the requirement that the cards can't be of the merc you want to trade for then? I guess it is a little odd.

Saprol

Yeah, I find it weird they'd design trading same rank cards to exclude the merc that's on the cards. Maybe it's not an issue for more senior players but it's wasteful that I'd be trying to get a certain bronze card and I can't use the failed trade-ups for this new feature.

Internally they are testing removal of instant gib headshots from the sniper rifles and frag grenades. http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/18773/instagibs-sniper-rifles-explosives#latest

This means that you will only down a player when you kill this way. Although it should be pointed out that you can still (as always) get an instant-gib if the damage you deal both downs a player and eats up their downed health pool at the same time. Because overkill damage is carried over to the downed pool regardless of weapon. The way it worked previously for grenades and snipers was that it automatically gibbed regardless of remaining health and overkill damage.

Good I say. These tools are already pretty good and they cut against what I think sets dirty bomb apart from other FPS games. That is their longer gun fights with team utility to create small advantages that can be used to win a fight or objective.

Seems like GAF has moved on from dirty bomb unfortunately.

VariantX

Internally they are testing removal of instant gib headshots from the sniper rifles and frag grenades. http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/18773/instagibs-sniper-rifles-explosives#latest

This means that you will only down a player when you kill this way. Although it should be pointed out that you can still (as always) get an instant-gib if the damage you deal both downs a player and eats up their downed health pool at the same time. Because overkill damage is carried over to the downed pool regardless of weapon. The way it worked previously for grenades and snipers was that it automatically gibbed regardless of remaining health and overkill damage.

Good I say. These tools are already pretty good and they cut against what I think sets dirty bomb apart from other FPS games. That is their longer gun fights with team utility to create small advantages that can be used to win a fight or objective.

Seems like GAF has moved on from dirty bomb unfortunately.

I pretty much stopped playing because I got tired of running the same maps over and over. And I didn't even play all that long, just shy of 20 hours. Nothing makes me want to quit playing a game faster than seeing the same scenery over and over again. Not all that great when its coupled with the fact that you only can play with however many mercenaries are either free/unlocked so its even harder for me experience that content in different ways. I was pretty into it when all the mercs were free for a time.

I pretty much stopped playing because I got tired of running the same maps over and over. And I didn't even play all that long, just shy of 20 hours. Nothing makes me want to quit playing a game faster than seeing the same scenery over and over again. Not all that great when its coupled with the fact that you only can play with however many mercenaries are either free/unlocked so its even harder for me experience that content in different ways. I was pretty into it when all the mercs were free for a time.

They absolutely need to add more maps. We do know of 3 or 4 maps that are being worked on at least, that have been playable at various points for feedback. But they need a couple even on top of them and 2-3 of those are execution maps and not objective/sw.

Tabby

Same to be honest. The lack of content turned me away too.

They just tweeted this image, which is apparently stoker, so I am... stoked... finally.

CRn_m4eWsAIsogG.png

http://forums.dirtybomb.nexon.net/discussion/19117/containment-war-giveaway-event

...we're giving everyone that logs into Dirty Bomb in the week after the release of the Containment War Update a special gift.

Every single player that logs in during that time will receive one of the hardest to kill medics out there, Phoenix....

If you have already unlocked Phoenix by the time the Containment War update arrives, you'll get a special reward of your own: 1x Elite Case A, 1x Elite Case B and a unique Obsidian Loadout Card for Phoenix!

This will end a week after the release of the Containment War during the week of October 28th, so be sure to grab your free Phoenix while you can!

Not sure how I feel about the reward if you already have phoenix, but I guess it is much better than nothing. Anyway, nice giveaway. And I guess we have a release date for the update as well... now we just need them patch notes.

Oh, it does also say that the date is not set in stone and can "fluctuate".

edit:
Also from twitter/live stream

A look at profile page
CSCK-pUUcAEKooE.jpg

edit2:
Competitive mode will now require level 7 to unlock again.

With the Containment War Update, we’ll be unlocking Competitive mode at Level 7. It will take new players 5 times longer to get into Ranked play, with around 11-12 hours play required, instead of the previous 2-2.5 hours.

If you have a rank, you can still play regardless of level.

CR8AzL3UcAAaL1T.jpg:large

Hows the population on this game now? I know it had a big bump when they got a bunch of streamers and youtubers to do content for it but I'm wondering what it settled at. Easy to find games?

Top Bottom