• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea PC |OT| Save the Prinnies and Grind, Dood

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That'll be interesting to see turn out. HD Sprites soon, maybe?

sfried

Triple for me, I would never touch Disgaea DS.
I've actually been trying to look for a (legit) copy of DisgaeaDS to complete my DS collection. I've not had much luck, even in Amazon.

But yeah, got my Collector's Physical Dood Edition.

Edit: That mod is pretty interesting, even goins so far back as to using OpenGL3.1.

Dinjoralo

According to the guy modding, the game's internal coding is royally fucked in several areas. I have no idea what half the stuff he's talking about means, but the way it handles input and vsync are bizarre and archaic, which explains a lot.

Mohasus

With the update the game locks to 48 fps with VSYNC on and is a jittery mess with it off but it says 60 fps. I'm running a GTX 980m... so power is definitely not the issue.

But SSAO is fixed for me now, but I would rather it be the other way around.

It's good that they are patching this so quickly. Hopefully there's fix for the framerate issue. Going to move this to the try later in 2 weeks pile.

Wouldn't forcing v-sync through Nvidia control panel solve your issue?

I remember this helped me when GTAIV was locked at 52fps with in-game v-sync.

Looks nicer

downloadotpdx.jpg

I wonder if the shadow resolution can be improved or if those aren't real shadows and just low res bitmaps.

Kaldaien

Neo Member
Hurray, it only too 6 months but my NeoGAF account was finally activated, lol.

Yes, I am modding Disgaea. I've uncapped the resolution, fixed alpha fringing on sprites, fixed controller input issues, added support for custom button icons, fixed a bunch of GL errors. Basically the usual plethora of stuff I do, this game just needs a lot more TLC :)

Aselith

Yes, I am modding Disgaea. I've uncapped the resolution, fixed alpha fringing on sprites, fixed controller input issues, added support for custom button icons, fixed a bunch of GL errors. Basically the usual plethora of stuff I do, this game just needs a lot more TLC :)

I appreciate the effort but you could you focus on more important stuff like nude mods?

Durante

Yo, did you see the paletted textures? Paletted textures! It's a blast from the past.
(I actually had them -- and they are the sprite textures, exclusively, as far as I can tell -- upscaled with xBRz already, but it broke some of the rendering and I dropped working on it)

appaws

Banned

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into modding the game.

Seconded. They should hire you to work on more PC stuff going forward.

jjasso21

Sounds great. I look forward to when the mod is completed. Thanks for the hard work!

TheSeks

What about the HD sprites from Disgaea 4->on?

Calabi

What about the HD sprites from Disgaea 4->on?

You would have to rip and replace all of them that would be a hell of an effort, and probably buggy.

Besides it would ruin the aesthetic I'd prefer some of those filters in the original thread.

dalin80

Banned

Does the game lend itself to additional content modding eg extra classes, textures and levels or is it just too archaic and 'shoddy'?

mfaex

Patch news: https://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/887579816608274712

Hi Everyone,

We are here for a Disgaea PC patch update (3/16/16)! Our dev team has addressed the following issues:

Now fully compatible with Steam Controller
Memory leak freezes (Cave of Ordeals 3, Item World and extended play times) have been addressed

After the patch was released this morning, we've seen the following reports:

Xbox Controller analog stick does not move freely during battle
Xbox Controller users cannot move diagonally
Crashes are still occurring
The d-pad and analog stick now have the same movement speed
The movement speed inside the castle has slowed down
Deleting “pad.cfg” for improved gamepad performance

If there are still issues not mentioned in this announcement, please head over to the Troubleshooting sub forum titled “Bug Reports.” We know that this patch release did not address all issues, but again, we are continually in talks with our dev team to make sure that the Disgaea PC community’s inquiries are answered and fixed. Thank you for your time and support!

Best,
Robbie

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Thanks

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Are there perma-deaths in this game?

TheSeks

Are there perma-deaths in this game?

No, if you don't lose your party of 10 in battle. You go back to the medic at the castle near the Portalgate and revive them.

isamu

No, if you don't lose your party of 10 in battle. You go back to the medic at the castle near the Portalgate and revive them.

Thanks guys. Can't wait to fux with this game.

Feeroper

I'm interested in picking this game up having never played a Disgaea game before - What is the optimal version now that the PC one has received some patching? I've seen people earlier in this thread stating the PSP version was the best, but I suspect that a lot of that had to do with the technical issues the PC one had before (portability aside).

Have the patches addressed these concerns now? Is the PC definitive or is the PSP one still superior? Does the PC have all the content from PSP?

Also, has the PC version been sorted out with using a controller? is the 360 controller working now?

I'm interested in picking this game up having never played a Disgaea game before - What is the optimal version now that the PC one has received some patching? I've seen people earlier in this thread stating the PSP version was the best, but I suspect that a lot of that had to do with the technical issues the PC one had before (portability aside).

Have the patches addressed these concerns now? Is the PC definitive or is the PSP one still superior? Does the PC have all the content from PSP?

Also, has the PC version been sorted out with using a controller? is the 360 controller working now?
PC version is the best one, has all the content from the psp version, i actually dont know if the 360 controller works well since i play with my steam controller. Ill test it out when i go home tho, give me an hour or 2.

isamu

Disgaea 2 PC pre-purchase is up:
Disgaea 2 PC: $17.99 (10% discount)
Disgaea 2 PC + Digital Artbook: $19.78
They're also offering bundles with Disgaea 1 PC

Whoah I had no idea they were even bringing on part 2 so quickly! That's great. I haven' even gotten around to the first one.

Quick random oddball question.....what do you guys enjoy more....the Disgaea series or the Trails series?

epmode

Quick random oddball question.....what do you guys enjoy more....the Disgaea series or the Trails series?

Trails, no question. ..but I've never really been into grinding JRPGs so I'm not the best audience for Disgaea.

That said, I'll probably buy Disgaea 2 as well. Gotta support good PC ports of Japanese games.

Initial Disgaea 2 impressions (30 minutes in)

They didn't bother with the graphical enhancements that got a mixed reception from D1 (SSAO, normal maps, vignette blur, high res shadows, DoF). Most people probably turned those off when D1 launched but they did fix the performance hit for most of them.
Sprite filtering still limited to nearest neighbor/bilinear/bicubic. Cutscenes and large portraits are sharp and bright though.
I'm getting framerate hitching during team attacks and levelups, I suspect anything that animates a transparent sprite over another transparent sprite is the culprit here. I'll see later in the game when spell effects get intense, but I'm hoping they fix this as it really slows down combat.
Controller input is imperfect. Adell's fastest home base walking speed with an analog stick is slower than his fastest walking speed using a mouse pointer. Disgaea 1 had similar acceleration bugs with the mouse. Going between the two makes the controller response feel sludgier. I haven't tried a steam controller yet.

Besides that, it's Disgaea 2 on your PC. And that's not bad.

zulux21

Sweet, I'll work on one tonight, suggestions welcome.

I'd be on board joining a d2 OT. I never bothered posting in here because I had no interest in replaying d1. i bought d2 already though since I find it to be a vastly superior game to d1 and am open to replaying it with the sound off while watching tv shows.

as for suggestions...
a link to a guide for pirate maps... good god that is a pain in the ass to do without a guide lol.

as for the stupidest name I can think of.

Disgaea PC |OT| Adell: Rolling in the Levels D00d

:p

isamu

Are there any first time Disgaea players that ended up playing this version of the game and completing it? How did you like it? Did it live up the hype IYO?

I still have to finish TiTS: SC and then the 3rd but man I'm so anxious to get started on D1!

isamu

Hi guys quick question. Does Disgaea 1 and 2 allow you to save at any time? Or do you have to be at a specific location or out of a dungeon? Also are the save files separate?

Eusis

Hi guys quick question. Does Disgaea 1 and 2 allow you to save at any time? Or do you have to be at a specific location or out of a dungeon? Also are the save files separate?
No dungeons, just combat, and at least on consoles you could only save at the hub.

And I suspect 3 and 4 are inevitable at this point.

BasilZero

Only times you can save is when you are in the castle (the main hub) and in between chapter changes.

Also yes there are multiple save file spots.

I finished the main story about a week ago.

Doing etna mode now on chapter 2 for it.

Will be doing other endings after that and then go for the extra stages.

I got so far 60 hours on the steam version but my origina ps2 copy I managed to clock in 300 hours lol

isamu

No dungeons, just combat, and at least on consoles you could only save at the hub.

And I suspect 3 and 4 are inevitable at this point.

Only times you can save is when you are in the castle (the main hub) and in between chapter changes.

Also yes there are multiple save file spots.

I finished the main story about a week ago.

Doing etna mode now on chapter 2 for it.

Will be doing other endings after that and then go for the extra stages.

I got so far 60 hours on the steam version but my origina ps2 copy I managed to clock in 300 hours lol

Thank you Eusis and BasilZero for your answers they were very helpful. Much appreciated guys. I was worried about this particular aspect of the games, but based on your answers, I'm assuming the opportunities to save are frequent enough not to hinder the flow of the game. Unlike Grandia II, this seems more manageable.

I was going to jump right into Grandia II as my next jrpg after completing TiTS:3rd, but I changed my mind upon learning you can only save at certain checkpoints and that the dungeons can be quite long. I play my rpgs when it's slow at work but I can't afford to be stuck in a situation where it's time for me to go home and I can't save my game because I'm knee deep in some long dungeon LOL. So Disgaea it is!

BasilZero

Thank you Eusis and BasilZero for your answers they were very helpful. Much appreciated guys. I was worried about this particular aspect of the games, but based on your answers, I'm assuming the opportunities to save are frequent enough not to hinder the flow of the game. Unlike Grandia II, this seems more manageable.

No problem!

You can save after every battle pretty much. As soon as you finish a battle/stage, it takes you back to the castle where you can heal up, buy weapons/armor/items, visit the item world, go to the assembly to create new characters and other stuff and to save the game as well.

So ya, Disgaea is a series that saving points are plentiful and you dont have to worry about long battles, at the most each battle/stage should take you around 5-10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

I make multiple saves just in case if I accidentally kill a ally character (this affects the ending).

Hope you enjoy Disgaea PC - its an awesome game , I finished the PS2 version and played a little bit of the PSP and DS versions - and currently playing the PC version - have to say its the best version since it has all the content from the PS2, PSP and DS versions all combined with PC exclusive features like the textures and the UI.

Disgaea 1 is one of my favorite games and the series is one of my favorites.

I beaten Disgaea 2 on PSP few years back and havent gotten the PC version yet but I plan to do so in the future.

I also bought Disgaea 3, 4 and D2 recently on PS3, planning to play them soon and hopefully double dip again when they come out on PC :p.

Top Bottom