• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea PC |OT| Save the Prinnies and Grind, Dood

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
No problem!

You can save after every battle pretty much. As soon as you finish a battle/stage, it takes you back to the castle where you can heal up, buy weapons/armor/items, visit the item world, go to the assembly to create new characters and other stuff and to save the game as well.

So ya, Disgaea is a series that saving points are plentiful and you dont have to worry about long battles, at the most each battle/stage should take you around 5-10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

I make multiple saves just in case if I accidentally kill a ally character (this affects the ending).

Hope you enjoy Disgaea PC - its an awesome game , I finished the PS2 version and played a little bit of the PSP and DS versions - and currently playing the PC version - have to say its the best version since it has all the content from the PS2, PSP and DS versions all combined with PC exclusive features like the textures and the UI.

Disgaea 1 is one of my favorite games and the series is one of my favorites.

I beaten Disgaea 2 on PSP few years back and havent gotten the PC version yet but I plan to do so in the future.

I also bought Disgaea 3, 4 and D2 recently on PS3, planning to play them soon and hopefully double dip again when they come out on PC :p.

That sounds awesome man! Can't wait to check it out. How many hours can I expect to clock in D1 seeing as how it'll be my first Disgaea game, and including the post game content? By the way is there an "End" to the post game content? Or does it pretty much go on forever?

BasilZero

That sounds awesome man! Can't wait to check it out. How many hours can I expect to clock in D1 seeing as how it'll be my first Disgaea game, and including the post game content? By the way is there an "End" to the post game content? Or does it pretty much go on forever?

For my recent playthrough (and this is having memory of what will happen and how fights are from playing the original game 10+ years ago) - it took me around 52 hours to finish the main storyline. Though I do admit I did some grinding, possibly around 5 hours worth lol.

I finished my second playthrough (through New Game+) very quickly since it lets you keep all items, weapons, levels, and characters you made. I was at 57 hours (took me 5 hours to do the 2nd playthrough since I skipped cutscenes and went straight to battles) if I remember right when I finished the 2nd playthrough (saw another ending).

Doing Etna mode which is a separate story from the main story, currently on 59 hours in total number of hours played.

There's still a ton of other post game content that I can do (additional stages/battles and boss fights) and then there's the additional endings which I will need to do New Game+ again. I might have to do a bit more grinding cause I think the strongest boss is
lv 5,000?
. My highest level character is Laharl at 115.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK guys at long last.....I have finally....*FINALLY* started playing Disgaea PC!!!! This is my very first Disgaea game ever. I'm only about a couple hours in but I love it so far! I'm currently at Vryse Castle at the Loving Corridor or whatever the hell that place is called. This type of game is right up my alley but boy you guys weren't kidding....the game's depth and all its systems is quite overwhelming.

With that in mind I'll no doubt have a series of on going questions in the coming days/weeks so please bare with me.

First thing I want to ask about is the character creation ability. I've read elsewhere that I should ditch the three or four Prinnies that accompany you by default so that's what I did. I created a Red Mage, a Blue Mage, a Healer, a Male Warrior and a Male Brawler. So far everyone's doing OK except for the mages. They both suck :( The reason is because I didn't have enough mana for Prince Lahral(sp?) to create anyone above the "Incompetent" level. So all their HP is really low, and they're constantly getting their ass handed to them.

Furthermore, my healer isn't doing so hot either. She's only level 3 but doesn't seem to be leveling up nearly as fast as the other main characters. How do I make the healer level up faster.

Speaking of leveling, are killing enemies the only way to level up a character, or do they all gain exp together by completing a stage? Does the healer get exp by healing other people?

Finally, is it recommended to wait until I have enough mana to create a better character type? What is minimum level above "Incompetent" you would chose to make your character to? Also, is Lahrahl the best character to create characters with? If not who else do you recommend. Heck...should I even create any characters *at all* this early in the game?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

OK guys at long last.....I have finally....*FINALLY* started playing Disgaea PC!!!! This is my very first Disgaea game ever. I'm only about a couple hours in but I love it so far! I'm currently at Vryse Castle at the Loving Corridor or whatever the hell that place is called. This type of game is right up my alley but boy you guys weren't kidding....the game's depth and all its systems is quite overwhelming.

With that in mind I'll no doubt have a series of on going questions in the coming days/weeks so please bare with me.

First thing I want to ask about is the character creation ability. I've read elsewhere that I should ditch the three or four Prinnies that accompany you by default so that's what I did. I created a Red Mage, a Blue Mage, a Healer, a Male Warrior and a Male Brawler. So far everyone's doing OK except for the mages. They both suck :( The reason is because I didn't have enough mana for Prince Lahral(sp?) to create anyone above the "Incompetent" level. So all their HP is really low, and they're constantly getting their ass handed to them.

Furthermore, my healer isn't doing so hot either. She's only level 3 but doesn't seem to be leveling up nearly as fast as the other main characters. How do I make the healer level up faster.

Speaking of leveling, are killing enemies the only way to level up a character, or do they all gain exp together by completing a stage? Does the healer get exp by healing other people?

Finally, is it recommended to wait until I have enough mana to create a better character type? What is minimum level above "Incompetent" you would chose to make your character to? Also, is Lahrahl the best character to create characters with? If not who else do you recommend. Heck...should I even create any characters *at all* this early in the game?

Any suggestions are welcome :)

I envy you, playing Disgaea for the first time was such a great experience, I'm pretty sure it's what got me into jrpgs way back when. (Either that or Superstar Saga).

Anyway, first of all, characters gain level up stats based on their STARTING STATS, so it's very very important to make sure those are good in the character creation menu. Though, as you level up each class enough, you'll unlock the new "tier" of that class, with better stats, weapon mastery and (I can't remember the name right now, but the percentages that correspond to equip types). Those percentages are very important btw as the are indicative of how much the unit will benefit from those equips, stat-wise. Anyway, I would reccomend reincarnating your older characters into the newer tiers of their classes occasionally, also you can respec their base stats when doing so.

For mages, I personally would reccomend waiting until you get a character named "Flonne" (or maybe you already have her? She joins quite early). The reason being she's an incredible Mage but doesn't learn magic naturally. On my first play through she stayed at level 10 or whatever simply because I didn't utilize the pupils teaching mechanics. Years later when I revisited the game I realized how good of a unit she is. Basically, you'll want to have her make the mages and then have those mages "teach" their magic to her. Don't remember the exact method of doing so but it's simple enough.
As for the healer, I personally made my healer learn offensive magic through that method as well, so she was just great all around. I don't remember if the healer gains exp from healing in Disgaea 1, but she def does from 2 onwards.

You unlock new classes by having certain other classes reach certain levels, for example having a male warrior at lv30+ at the same time as a male brawler at level 30+ unlocks X class (just made up that example on the top of my head but you get the idea.)

And lastly, if in the bonus gauge of each level, exp is listed as a reward, it means everyone on the map when you win will get that much exp. it's usually very minimal though.

Sorry this is all so unorganized, and for if I forgot anything. I'm on mobile atm

isamu

I envy you, playing Disgaea for the first time was such a great experience, I'm pretty sure it's what got me into jrpgs way back when. (Either that or Superstar Saga).

Anyway, first of all, characters gain level up stats based on their STARTING STATS, so it's very very important to make sure those are good in the character creation menu. Though, as you level up each class enough, you'll unlock the new "tier" of that class, with better stats, weapon mastery and (I can't remember the name right now, but the percentages that correspond to equip types). Those percentages are very important btw as the are indicative of how much the unit will benefit from those equips, stat-wise. Anyway, I would reccomend reincarnating your older characters into the newer tiers of their classes occasionally, also you can respec their base stats when doing so.

For mages, I personally would reccomend waiting until you get a character named "Flonne" (or maybe you already have her? She joins quite early). The reason being she's an incredible Mage but doesn't learn magic naturally. On my first play through she stayed at level 10 or whatever simply because I didn't utilize the pupils teaching mechanics. Years later when I revisited the game I realized how good of a unit she is. Basically, you'll want to have her make the mages and then have those mages "teach" their magic to her. Don't remember the exact method of doing so but it's simple enough.
As for the healer, I personally made my healer learn offensive magic through that method as well, so she was just great all around. I don't remember if the healer gains exp from healing in Disgaea 1, but she def does from 2 onwards.

You unlock new classes by having certain other classes reach certain levels, for example having a male warrior at lv30+ at the same time as a male brawler at level 30+ unlocks X class (just made up that example on the top of my head but you get the idea.)

And lastly, if in the bonus gauge of each level, exp is listed as a reward, it means everyone on the map when you win will get that much exp. it's usually very minimal though.

Sorry this is all so unorganized, and for if I forgot anything. I'm on mobile atm

Thanks buddy! I'll definitely keep that in mind. No, I haven't ran into Flonne yet. What kind of mage is she? Does she have any healing abilities from the start? I'll just go ahead and ditch the these mages I have so far, wait for Flonne and then have her create a healer and a couple mages. You think it would be a good idea to have the healer Flonne makes teach her how to be a healer as well?

Thanks buddy! I'll definitely keep that in mind. No, I haven't ran into Flonne yet. What kind of mage is she? Does she have any healing abilities from the start? I'll just go ahead and ditch the these mages I have so far, wait for Flonne and then have her create a healer and a couple mages. You think it would be a good idea to have the healer Flonne makes teach her how to be a healer as well?

Assuming you give her a staff, which I would reccomend, then she only learns 3 skills total, I believe. The one she starts off with is a heal to the 8 panels around her. But a ranged heal wouldn't hurt to add. Her other two spells are offensive but she gets them via level so I wouldn't rely on those for a while.

Also, once you become able to make a thief, do so. They're super garbage and you'll have to babysit them in order to level them up but they have the biggest throw range in the game, and stealing is absolutely necessary in the post game (and quite handy during the story as well)

EDIT: Actually, I probably wouldn't worry about the thief right now. Just enjoy the game and it's incredible amount of freedom and options.

isamu

Assuming you give her a staff, which I would reccomend, then she only learns 3 skills total, I believe. The one she starts off with is a heal to the 8 panels around her. But a ranged heal wouldn't hurt to add. Her other two spells are offensive but she gets them via level so I wouldn't rely on those for a while.

Also, once you become able to make a thief, do so. They're super garbage and you'll have to babysit them in order to level them up but they have the biggest throw range in the game, and stealing is absolutely necessary in the post game (and quite handy during the story as well)

EDIT: Actually, I probably wouldn't worry about the thief right now. Just enjoy the game and it's incredible amount of freedom and options.

OK got that thanks! You're right I don't have access to a thief yet but will make one as soon as I can. That's the other thing I forget to mention...throwing. Seems it's extremely limited at the moment. Most of the time I can't throw anyone past one square, and sometimes in only one direction. :(

isamu

Somewhere in the Ice stage (I think) there is a level with a bunch of the cat ladies/demon chicks. All the squares are covered by a invincible geopanel except one. Follow these steps.

1. Choose a character to level

2. Find the enemy with the lowest DEF or RES depending on how the person your leveling attacks.

3. Throw every enemy in the level on top of your chosen enemy.

4. Bring the enemy to the one square that isn't invincible.

5. Beat the shit out of the enemy.

6. Gain massive amounts of experience.

I'm not to far in the game, so there very well are probably better ways down the road to gain experience. But this method rocks for me currently.

Pedro if you're reading this, which Ice level are you referring to? I'm up to chapter 4 and already went through a chapter that had four frozen stages(chapter 3) and none of them had any geopanels. Is there one that is further into the game that you're referring to?

isamu

Greetings gentlemen, hope you're all enjoying your weekend so far :)

I have a quick question:

How do you....What is best/most effective way to farm for Statisticians in this game? Which items should I dive into in order to get to level 300 quickly? My party is averaged at around level 24 at the moment, with Laharl currently at 41.

isamu

I'm now up to four lvl 300 statisticians and will keep farming until I get more. I don't know how long it'll take but my goal is to obtain 10 of them, so that all my main characters will be equipped and can level up simultaneously.

One thing that pisses me off are the sections far off that are too long to jump to. Frustrating when you have an enemy hanging out over there with no way to kill him and can't complete the level.

Top Bottom