• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: DE (PS4/XBO) - In the days that follow, your trials will be great

JoeFenix

Did not notice any tearing in the sewers on PS4. It might be soft v-synced on both platforms but I haven't seen any drops yet on PS4.

PS4 Screens using the share button.

Those textures...

Yup, that's Dishonored alright. It looks like that even maxed out on a fucking Pixar server farm.

Well shit. I'm only in the sewers and I already found a place where the screen is tearing.

Definitely not a locked v-sync folks. Once the clip uploads to the Xbox servers, i'll post a link.

Edit: I just watched the clip back. Its not good. Peeps gonna be pissed.

It's only my fist time through the game, so i don't know what comes later, but if the screen is tearing with a light source in the sewer and no one around, I can only imagine its gonna be worse later on when things are busy.

Ok, here's the clip.

http://xboxclips.com/SimpleCRIPPLE/1c9a6fbe-7bbb-46dd-8be6-35d304bf817e

NO FUCKING WAY

Dang it. This is the one game that is universally loved on my house and we were really excited about this port, but not anymore. What a shit effort, Bethy.

Any of you guys who played this fifteen years ago on your microwaves at 240FPS want to take some screenshots of that version (without mods) for comparison? I could have sworn that it was sharper when I played it on my PC (which I no longer have), but none of the screenshots I'm turning up (that aren't press-shots or doctored) actually look better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I cannot believe that this is only 30fps. How does that happen? Who ported this thing?

No way in hell am I touching it now.

Another prime example of why this shouldn't be called a remaster when Gears UE or Halo 1&2 Anniversary put it to absolute shame. This should just be called a port.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be fair, even the highest settings on PC were not far away from the last gen versions of the game. The textures and assets in particular were horrible regardless of platform, and that seems to have carried over.

This DE marketing nonsense for games that are barely worth a glance in terms of the porting effort are getting out of hand

SURGEdude

Waited a full 2 minutes left the area and came back to make sure it wasn't a UE3 loading issue.

M6rNgQ1.jpg

Nope

That screen-tearing on the Xbox is pretty bad. I'm still feeling totally happy with this as a $20 upgrade to my PS3 copy I got from PS+, which gives me the DLCs and the ability to play with the DS4 instead of the DS3.

$20 is a good price. $40 is not. Unless you literally have no other way of playing the game, in which case it's honestly not a bad deal, even if the port should be better.

I thought the textures were sharper on PC, but it seems like they actually weren't, at least not without mods or something. Looking at this page (which just has some screenshots showing a comparison of a shadow-tweaking mod) the textures look just as fuzzy around the edges. This might be a case of people remembering things being sharper than they were.

they absolutely were better, this is from when i played the game with nothing special outside of maxed everything and some forced high end AA:

dishonored2014-4-20-101sdi.png

dishonored2014-4-20-2l5uj9.png

those ground textures still look real nice.

Liamario

Banned
Well shit. I'm only in the sewers and I already found a place where the screen is tearing.

Definitely not a locked v-sync folks. Once the clip uploads to the Xbox servers, i'll post a link.

Edit: I just watched the clip back. Its not good. Peeps gonna be pissed.

It's only my fist time through the game, so i don't know what comes later, but if the screen is tearing with a light source in the sewer and no one around, I can only imagine its gonna be worse later on when things are busy.

Ok, here's the clip.

http://xboxclips.com/SimpleCRIPPLE/1c9a6fbe-7bbb-46dd-8be6-35d304bf817e

That's disgraceful. Shoddy port.

Played past the area in that clip and the tearing is minimal. Prior to and after that spot, i haven't noticed anymore.

I'm sure there's more coming, but I don't want people to think the entire game is like that. I'm only about 45 minutes in, but that spot was the exception, not the norm.

I played Dishonored on 360 and this version had zero tearing in the sewers at the beginning. only later it could creep in but overall it was ok! I cant believe that the xbox one version does have a worse framerate than the 360 version!

TheYanger

Damn .. this looks really bad :-/

How is the PS4 version at this location?

Wanted to buy the X1 version but if it´s really this bad without any enemies around I might switch over to the PS4 version ...

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but how can you want to reward them with a sale AT ALL looking at this? regardless of system.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
That looks like parallax mapping on the pebbles that was not present in the original build.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I'm going to see if NXGAMER will do a technical analysis of this game and release it to the wider public.

This is a sodding joke. Definitive Edition? Nowhere near worthy of the title.

You only need look at the Nathan Drake Collection, The Last of Us and Tomb Raider to see the amount of care and thought put in to these re-releases.

Colour me pissed. How much longer are we going to put up with crap like this?

There's so many companies willing to dish out sub-standard ports.

I wouldn't mind, but no one here is asking for a rebuild from the ground up, we just want, 1080P, 60fps, Smooth frame rate with no screen tear with AA and AF.

These consoles are more than capable of achieving that with this game. No excuse for this. Lazy....god damn lazy money grab.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This does not look as good as I remember the PC version looking.
Kinda shameful, isn't this like $60 in Canada?

robotrock

Banned
Is it just the low picture quality or did they not even bother to up-res the button prompts?

Oh god what the fuck

I didn't even notice that. This makes absolutely no sense. Is that just PS4 compression or did they really not up-res the dualshock button prompts

Green Yoshi

I played Dishonored on 360 and this version had zero tearing in the sewers at the beginning. only later it could creep in but overall it was ok! I cant believe that the xbox one version does have a worse framerate than the 360 version!

The 360-version was done by the developer of the game and had to run acceptable. The port is not that important to Bethesda.

It would be a shame if the 360-version with backwards compatibility will have less tearing on Xbox One.

mike4001_

I don't want to tell you how to spend your money, but how can you want to reward them with a sale AT ALL looking at this? regardless of system.

I know ... :-/

But I skipped the game last gen and was actually pretty looking forward to this.

Problem is with the Remaster I cannot even hope for XBox One BC for this title as the publisher is bound to say "no".

But with Dishonored 2 on the Horizon I kind of have to play Dishonored 1 ...

But I skipped the game last gen and was actually pretty looking forward to this.

Problem is with the Remaster I cannot even hope for XBox One BC for this title as the publisher is bound to say "no".

I'd still buy it, but wait until it's really, really, really cheap. Or buy it used.

kulapik

That's exactly the audience they are aiming for, people that heard of but never got the first game on previous consoles.

If you have a capable PC just buy it there,it's way more cheaper.

SURGEdude

These are almost impossible to get good shots. Take the general user shots/video in this thread over somebody who posts stuff randomly like this without comment. I'm not even sure these ones are totally real.

Edit: Yeah, even these mediocre shots are seemingly impossible based on my experience so far.

Well, I just took a few high res screenshots of the PC version and tried my best to mirror the screenshots taken on PS4 earlier in this thread.

The game rocks maxed PC textures on XB1 and PS4 for sure. Compare my shots against these ones. Some textures in the DE actually look a little bit better, and some look a little bit worse. I think it's because they've all been softened just a bit as a whole in DE, which helps the grainier textures, but hurts the more natural looking ones. The sofa looks slightly better textured in the DE, while the wooden paneling on the boat looks better on the PC, as a result of this, but they appear to be basically the same textures at the same resolution as far as I can tell. The insanely low FOV won't be doing this game's relatively low-res texture work any favors on PS4 and XB1, though. Any word on whether or not you can change the FOV in the console versions? There's a slider in the PC version.

KyleCross

So uh... I have this backlogged on PS3 from Black Friday 2012, I was feeling guilty cause I figured I was gonna have to just upgrade eventually instead of playing my old verison but... not the case?

So uh... I have this backlogged on PS3 from Black Friday 2012, I was feeling guilty cause I figured I was gonna have to just upgrade eventually instead of playing my old verison but... not the case?

From a visual stand point I see no reason to upgrade to the if you have it on the PS3

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Pre-Order cancelled. I'm not supporting this shit, I never played the original. I so wanted this, but no, I won't buy it out of principle. If they ever patch it, then I'll buy.

Second-hand may be the way to go with this. They don't deserve my money.

gossi

These are almost impossible to get good shots. Take the general user shots/video in this thread over somebody who posts stuff randomly like this without comment. I'm not even sure these ones are totally real.

Edit: Yeah, even these mediocre shots are seemingly impossible based on my experience so far.

Uh, those shots are from about 90 minutes into the game. The game becomes very pretty.

Well, I just took a few high res screenshots of the PC version and tried my best to mirror the screenshots taken on PS4 earlier in this thread.

The game rocks maxed PC textures on XB1 and PS4 for sure. Compare my shots against these ones. Some textures in the DE actually look a little bit better, and some look a little bit worse. I think it's because they've all been softened just a bit as a whole, which helps the grainier textures, but hurts the more natural looking ones. The sofa looks slightly better textured in the DE, while the wooden paneling on the boat looks better on the PC, as a result of this, but they appear to be basically the same textures at the same resolution as far as I can tell.

Thanks a lot for doing that. I definitely remember the game looking better, but I think that's largely because of how the art style kind of blurs into memory. It's so distinctive (and, I think, well done) that it makes a really strong impression. Of course it doesn't old up quite so well when you put it under a microscope against the memories you have from years back.

J-Skee

Can't wait to see how Arkane & Bethesda defends this. This was my GOTY the year that it came out. I can't believe they're calling this "Definitive".

SURGEdude

Uh, those shots are from about 90 minutes into the game. The game becomes very pretty.

I was waiting for this kind of response.

Hey guys buy the game and I promise it will look amazing.

Amazing.

Promise.

Just keep playing.

Sorry dude I don't buy that shit for a heartbeat. Or did they just decide not to do a good job on the early chapters cuz?

Top Bottom