• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: DE (PS4/XBO) - In the days that follow, your trials will be great

slackjaw10

Neo Member
Just got this last week. Never played it last gen, which is weird considering how much I loved Deus Ex: HR and the Bioshocks. Yes, it's a lazy-ass port and yes, it's overpriced when you can get the PC or goty edition on last gen for less than half as much. It's also a great game, so I'm glad I finally played it. Looking forward to the sequel now.

Just got this last week. Never played it last gen, which is weird considering how much I loved Deus Ex: HR and the Bioshocks. Yes, it's a lazy-ass port and yes, it's overpriced when you can get the PC or goty edition on last gen for less than half as much. It's also a great game, so I'm glad I finally played it. Looking forward to the sequel now.
Have you run into your namesake yet? ;)

Tevren

Finishing up my Clean hands run to Platinum this. Had an odd moment, where when the Cleaner trophy popped, i just stared at it, thinking how similar in composition it looked to Bloodborne's cover art.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So this is my first time playing Dishonored, I'm about 1-2 hours into the game and I'm getting kinda bored ... I must say its a million times better than THIEF which I played last month but I'm just not feeling it that much. I might give it another go at a later date but for now this is going into the backlog. I think the mute protagonist might have something to do with it too.

Play for the high chaos ending. You get a way better finale and the gameplay is much more interesting.

Play for the high chaos ending. You get a way better finale and the gameplay is much more interesting.
In my current playthrough I'm ganking everyone and it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately MGSV came along so I haven't touched it in weeks. I'm looking forward to the ending now though so thanks.

voltron

Is there a game in existence - excluding Mass Effect and RPG style codex' - with more reading?

Seriously?

There is absolutely a tipping point where the player is interested enough in the world to read about it and giving the player so much readable content that they just stop giving a fuck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Is there a game in existence - excluding Mass Effect and RPG style codex' - with more reading?

Seriously?

There is absolutely a tipping point where the player is interested enough in the world to read about it and giving the player so much readable content that they just stop giving a fuck.

Yes? Its call Planescape Torment.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Why the fuck is this game 30fps???

Goddammit I feel so cheated.

Fuck you Becheapsda.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why the fuck is this game 30fps???

Goddammit I feel so cheated.

Fuck you Becheapsda.

Random bump, did you not know when you bought the game?

It was all over the place....if you have the previous gen version, i don't even recommend it. Your basically only getting the DLC and the jump to 1080p. Not ideal

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Random bump, did you not know when you bought the game?

It was all over the place....if you have the previous gen version, i don't even recommend it. Your basically only getting the DLC and the jump to 1080p. Not ideal

I didn't know. I really feel like an idiot for not doing the smart thing and googling .

I missed the train when it was first released and saw it at a shop for dirt cheap and got excited.

Edit:

I feel super bummed out because this is a game about details where I want to really enjoy the artstyle and pan the camera around a lot to scavenge the enviros, but I just can't really do that with an FPS that runs at 30.

I mean, the game isnt ugly, but technically it looks dated.

Especially contrasted with Brothers which I picked up alongside it and has a very similar look with 60 frames.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't know. I really feel like an idiot for not doing the smart thing and googling .

I missed the train when it was first released and saw it at a shop for dirt cheap and got excited.

Edit:

I feel super bummed out because this is a game about details where I want to really enjoy the artstyle and pan the camera around a lot to scavenge the enviros, but I just can't really do that with an FPS that runs at 30.

I mean, the game isnt ugly, but technically it looks dated.

Especially contrasted with Brothers which I picked up alongside it and has a very similar look with 60 frames.

Yep. No real excuse for the game to not run at 1080 60 on both PS4 and XB1. The very definition of lazy port

BiGBoSSMk23

Yep. No real excuse for the game to not run at 1080 60 on both PS4 and XB1. The very definition of lazy port

It's still great. Loving the game and atmosphere.

I played through DE:HR multiple times on PS3.

But man, I'm pretty spoiled lol

Not only that, but there is a real issue with some* 30fps games where silhouettes of objects in your FOV will do this slight stutter as you pan the camera back and forth, and that causes eye strain or nausea depending on your tolerance. And this game suffers from it quite a bit, despite sticking to 30 with no screentearing from the looks of it.

*I say some because I've never noticed with DriveClub, Infamous or The Order.

Shame.

I wish they patched it in anticipation for D2. But IDK how big a studio arkane is, or if they even handled the port.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Those of you choosing to ignore this because its only 30fps should be banned from gaming.

I played through the definite edition. Its a perfectly stable 30 fps and it suits the atmosphere of the game just fine.

Yes, it's by all means a lazy port, but you can often find it for less than $20.

Yes, it's by all means a lazy port, but you can often find it for less than $20.

Agreed. I have the PS3 version but never got around to finishing it when it came out. Managed to pick this up around Black Friday for $12, so for the ability to play with a Dualshock 4 (which I vastly prefer to the Dualshock 3) and with all the DLC, it seems more than worth it even if it's just a resolution bump. I also don't have a decent gaming PC, which is a factor, because that seems like the best way to go if you have one.

Those of you choosing to ignore this because its only 30fps should be banned from gaming.

I played through the definite edition. Its a perfectly stable 30 fps and it suits the atmosphere of the game just fine.

Just started this one up last night and was surprised how janky the 30fps felt. There's ghosting and a weird sense of acceleration when moving that makes this feel a little too PC centric. Load times are also crazy long. So yeah, as a port or remaster its definitely not impressive.

But I'll deal with it once I'm in a stealth mood, as this still looks perfectly primed to scratch that itch.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Just started this one up last night and was surprised how janky the 30fps felt. There's ghosting and a weird sense of acceleration when moving that makes this feel a little too PC centric. Load times are also crazy long. So yeah, as a port or remaster its definitely not impressive.

But I'll deal with it once I'm in a stealth mood, as this still looks perfectly primed to scratch that itch.
If will agree that the load times suck ass. Yeah those suck. Stealth games should prioritize quick loading times.

Don't get me wrong 1080p/60fps is definitely prefered.

ramyeon

Just picked this up for PS4. It was very much an impulse buy at $23AU. I don't have many expectations either way as far as the game or the port is concerned, so hopefully it surprises me!

xrnzaaas

Well after spending 5+ hours so far I have to say it's a pretty bad port. I'm currently playing for the high chaos ending and the framerate can drop if you have like 5+ enemies on the screen. Or their bodies when they're dead. Speaking of corpses it's also awful how they disappear if there's too many of them... stuff like that shouldn't happen in a game in which hiding the bodies is an important element of gameplay.

Also, I didn't notice that 3 years ago, but Corvo being a mute is annoying.

Yeah I just started the ps4 version and I knew it was a lazy port but it not being 60 fps while also having really long load times and sub par textures is incredibly disappointing. I also agree Corvo being a mute is odd.

Finally an issue with the game itself is that I'm playing on hard and the game is still a breeze even at the start. The way they incentivize stealth is through some bs tool tip that "oh btw killing people leads to the bad ending" yet the AI isn't up to par for stealth and the combat is pretty simple so far.

Bought this for the PS4 last week and beat it recently. It was a decent game, but I wish I played high-chaos instead of the low-chaos chore fest that I took from the experience. I'll play some of the DLCs and decide from there if the main game is worth replaying on high-chaos.

ramyeon

Well after spending 5+ hours so far I have to say it's a pretty bad port. I'm currently playing for the high chaos ending and the framerate can drop if you have like 5+ enemies on the screen. Or their bodies when they're dead. Speaking of corpses it's also awful how they disappear if there's too many of them... stuff like that shouldn't happen in a game in which hiding the bodies is an important element of gameplay.

Also, I didn't notice that 3 years ago, but Corvo being a mute is annoying.
Is it really this bad? The negative posts after mine have me worried - haven't had a chance to be able to start this yet sadly.

Is it really this bad? The negative posts after mine have me worried - haven't had a chance to be able to start this yet sadly.
Its absolutely playable without woes. Now its not going to impress on performance or detailed visuals, but its completely solid. Load times are long - say around the Witcher 3 or Bloodborne in length, and I noticed tearing on one mission in one area, but I'd personally I'd classify that as rare. If there were any framerate issues they didn't bother me, and I'm usually sensitive to that stuff.

The thing is, the game is fucking fantastic, and the best time I spent this year in a campaign, and nothing about the port brings that down. So its old advice by this point, but if you've already played it there's no reason to pick it up, but if you haven't played it, there's no reason not to - its damn good.

I have played it 4 times on PC.

Got the xbox version for my Dad this year. Watching him play is kind of a drag due to load times being absurd and the FOV being so narrow...

The 30fps is okay due to motion blur hiding it fairly well.

He's loving it, but it's a huge downgrade from PC.

FYI the game is sold for 15 euros right now on Amazon France, which is insane value for money even if it's a shit port.

I'm kind of salty about picking it up on day one for 40 euros, I didn't think the price would get slashed to quickly.

Still got to play the DLC, hope it's worth it

ramyeon

Its absolutely playable without woes. Now its not going to impress on performance or detailed visuals, but its completely solid. Load times are long - say around the Witcher 3 or Bloodborne in length, and I noticed tearing on one mission in one area, but I'd personally I'd classify that as rare. If there were any framerate issues they didn't bother me, and I'm usually sensitive to that stuff.

The thing is, the game is fucking fantastic, and the best time I spent this year in a campaign, and nothing about the port brings that down. So its old advice by this point, but if you've already played it there's no reason to pick it up, but if you haven't played it, there's no reason not to - its damn good.
Sounds great to me, although load times are a shame. How often do you see a load screen?

Sounds great to me, although load times are a shame. How often do you see a load screen?
Hopefully not often. When loading up each hub area and when reloading from a checkpoint, so not all that often. The hubs aren't huge, but considering the stealth action gameplay they are dense and can take a while to explore.

I saw the loads more often than usual because I'd revert to the last checkpoint if I was spotted in stealth. My next playthrough I'm planning on sticking with it hell or high water, spotted or not.

xrnzaaas

The framerate drops I've mentioned are related to combat and its aftermath. If you're planning on playing stealthy (that'll be my second playthrough) you shouldn't have any issues. As for the disappearing bodies, it depends if it ruins your immersion or not. You may not notice it, but it also may make your experience with the game much worse.

thenexus6

This was one of my favourite games last gen. I finished it about 3/4 times all DLC 2/3 times each. But this bad port posts just put me off, even though its been as cheap as £5 online.

ramyeon

I'm enjoying this so far - frame rate hasn't bothered me. The art style is fantastic.

I've been playing stealth but killing when necessary or spotted - I really hope this doesn't screw me out of any endings. Is that a thing in this game?

Just met the Outsider and have been given my first proper mission. Love the powers so far.

xrnzaaas

Well I don't know if I encountered a bug or something but the main area in the Flooded District level had a lot of noticeable drops even outside of combat.

I'm enjoying this so far - frame rate hasn't bothered me. The art style is fantastic.

I've been playing stealth but killing when necessary or spotted - I really hope this doesn't screw me out of any endings. Is that a thing in this game?

Just met the Outsider and have been given my first proper mission. Love the powers so far.

There is more than one ending -
three, I think
- killing does affect which one you get but there's some leeway so if you do have to kill, you haven't screwed up (just don't go mad!).

I played a similar style to you and have been meaning to go back and and try a totally non-lethal approach for the challenge.

xrnzaaas

Started playing Daud's The Knife of Dunwall campaign yesterday (for the first time). Daaamn a talking protagonist with a cool voice is exactly what the main game needed.

Bliddo

Picked this up because I was itching for some stealth action and... I'm really pissed off.
The EU version on the PSN store in my region (italy) doesn't have the english language, so the game starts in french, and I can only switch it to italian, by setting my console to italian instead of english.
Bethesda did the same crap with Evil Within. What's wrong with them?

Nope. What does this mean? How close the camera is to the ground?

There's a head bob slider, that's about it.
Field of view.

15999549532_1df98d5016_o.png

Started playing Daud's The Knife of Dunwall campaign yesterday (for the first time). Daaamn a talking protagonist with a cool voice is exactly what the main game needed.
I didn't know it was Michael Madsen until I finished the game, but I guess I must have missed that in the credits of the main one.

Vic_Viper

Downloaded Dishonored the other night and started playing today but when I try to leave the tutorial prison area it says I cant leave because the "Content is Currently Unavailable" WTF? I dont see anywhere that it is still downloading or installing? Anyone know what I should do to get it to finish?

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just didnt see anywhere else to post this? If there is somewhere else I should ask please let me know.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded Dishonored the other night and started playing today but when I try to leave the tutorial prison area it says I cant leave because the "Content is Currently Unavailable" WTF? I dont see anywhere that it is still downloading or installing? Anyone know what I should do to get it to finish?

Sorry to bump this old thread but I just didnt see anywhere else to post this? If there is somewhere else I should ask please let me know.

PS4 or Xbox? I reckon it's maybe still downloading.

Vic_Viper

PS4 or Xbox? I reckon it's maybe still downloading.

PS4. Got it with pre ordering Dishonored 2. When I try to leave the area there is a percentage that im now seeing move up. Was at 59%, now at 64%, but I dont see a download bar anywhere else. Ive never seen a game do this on PS4 before. Maybe PC, but they usually always notify you.

Edit: wait now I see it. The initial download was like 9 gigs but now its saying 33 gigs. What a let down.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
PS4. Got it with pre ordering Dishonored 2. When I try to leave the area there is a percentage that im now seeing move up. Was at 59%, now at 64%, but I dont see a download bar anywhere else. Ive never seen a game do this on PS4 before. Maybe PC, but they usually always notify you.

Edit: wait now I see it. The initial download was like 9 gigs but now its saying 33 gigs. What a let down.

Yeah... If you press Options on the tile, then Information it tells you how far along it is. My buddy had the same issue with Rainbow Six the other night.

this happens all the time with the way ps4 handles downloads, it's annoying

rackham

Banned
Dauds dlc is amazing. One of my favorite dlcs. Love the expansion to the lore with the witches we saw with granny rags slightly. Glad to hear here running full force with everything in dishonored 2

Top Bottom