• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: DE (PS4/XBO) - In the days that follow, your trials will be great

Could someone with a PS4 version upload a video with the same spot (its the beginning of the sewers)... and look if the tearing is that bad too there?!

A user in this thread confirmed it's present in the PS4 version as well. It's apparently very brief though in both versions in that particular spot in the sewers.

JoeFenix

I don't want to start a shitshow but as a consumer this is frustrating. I think the game is well worth playing from what I've seen so far, if you've never played it before and PS4/X1 is your only option then this isn't a dealbreaker but damn... 30fps sucks but atleast make the game look as nice as it does on PC, what the hell happened here?

PC Version Tree

2015_08_25_00002.jpg

PS4 Version Tree

My_Great_Capture_Screen_Shot_2015_08_25_07_29_53.png

And no this isn't a UE3 texture pop-in thing, that's how all the trees I've encountered in the PS4 version look. It's pretty bad. Water shaders are lower precision and overall at 1080p on PC looks way cleaner compared to the PS4 version. Questionable stuff to say the least.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I don't want to start a shitshow but as a consumer this is frustrating. I think the game is well worth playing from what I've seen so far, if you've never played it before and PS4/X1 is your only option then this isn't a dealbreaker but damn... 30fps sucks but atleast make the game look as nice as it does on PC, what the hell happened here?

PC Version Tree

2015_08_25_00002.jpg

PS4 Version Tree

And no this isn't a UE3 texture pop-in thing, that's how all the trees I've encountered in the PS4 version look. It's pretty bad. Water shaders are lower precision and overall at 1080p on PC looks way cleaner compared to the PS4 version. Questionable stuff to say the least.
No AF. Thats the problem. Look at the ground and wall around it,all low res tt oo.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

PC Version Tree

2015_08_25_00002.jpg

PS4 Version Tree

I can barely tell the difference in these photos, maybe it's because I'm a console peasant. Also, that wall/ledge texture in the forefront of both pics is fucking horrendous, that should be the real focus of that picture. :/

Golgo 13

Indeed, I believe so.

---

It's well past time the defense force for this port gave up.
Seems a tad dramatic. I'm assuming you've played both versions from beginning to end to form a fair and balanced opinion on the matter -- how utterly terrible the port is.
It's definitely not as good as it could be, but it's no disaster either.

Seems a tad dramatic. I'm assuming you've played both versions from beginning to end to form a fair and balanced opinion on the matter -- how utterly terrible the port is.
It's definitely not as good as it could be, but it's no disaster either.

It's not good. Nowhere near where it could or should be. Even if it was 30 fps, it shouldn't lack AF, be be experiencing screen-tearing anywhere (played this on PS3 originally and never encountered what's in the above link) and it shouldn't have to rely on FXAA.

That this "definitive" version is in no way the definitive version if any other versions are available is just goofy. The benefit of the exclusive features being cancelled out by other poor aspects (parallax mapping looking crap because of poor AF) is just the icing.

Gryph

I can barely tell the difference in these photos, maybe it's because I'm a console peasant. Also, that wall/ledge texture in the forefront of both pics is fucking horrendous, that should be the real focus of that picture. :/

I love this game and I'm buying this version so I can play it again on my PS4.

But... That tree looks markedly worse. It looks like a whole different game, the branch structure, the lighting...

The game is definitely not as pretty as it could or should be, which is a terrible thing considering how good of a game it is.

So tech stuff aside.

I just beat the game. I did a no upgrades/ghost/clean hands playthrough. I only got the no upgrades achievement. Google has failed me- does anybody know why I wouldn't have gotten this? Zero kills, zero detections. Didn't do Granny Rags at all, didn't kill weepers. I'm really bummed right now.

So tech stuff aside.

I just beat the game. I did a no upgrades/ghost/clean hands playthrough. I only got the no upgrades achievement. Google has failed me- does anybody know why I wouldn't have gotten this? Zero kills, zero detections. Didn't do Granny Rags at all, didn't kill weepers. I'm really bummed right now.

could've been that someone you knocked unconscious got eaten by rats or fell into the sea, and line of sight in this game can be pretty iffy sometimes. Shit like that is a real bummer indeed. You gotta be reeeeal careful in this game to get those cheevos.

It's not good. Nowhere near where it could or should be. Even if it was 30 fps, it shouldn't lack AF, be be experiencing screen-tearing anywhere (played this on PS3 originally and never encountered what's in the above link) and it shouldn't have to rely on FXAA.

That this "definitive" version is in no way the definitive version if any other versions are available is just goofy. The benefit of the exclusive features being cancelled out by other poor aspects (parallax mapping looking crap because of poor AF) is just the icing.

I'm pretty much in agreeance with this. It's a serviceable port for those of you who haven't had the chance to appreciate this gem elsewhere, but it's obviously nowhere near as solid as it could have been. I'm not too bothered by FXAA being their AA solution because I really think it's less noticeable in this game than in others, but lacking AF is somehow even more inexplicable here than in other games on the PS4, and regardless of your affinity toward 30fps, there's no way these consoles aren't capable of more with this game.

So tech stuff aside.

if you checked at the end of each level to see i believe it tells you if you killed someone or if somebody saw you.

For example once I had to restart a level because I knocked out a guard, but he fell face first into a puddle of water and he drowned.

Yes the game made me restart because of a puddle of water

if you checked at the end of each level to see i believe it tells you if you killed someone or if somebody saw you.

For example once I had to restart a level because I knocked out a guard, but he fell face first into a puddle of water and he drowned.

Yes the game made me restart because of a puddle of water

iirc there's also a specific level where someone dies even if you don't interact with them or even go near them, you have to prevent them from dying or it will count against you

though i'm half remembering this from some /r/dishonored posts, so it could be just tales from my ass.

Tagyhag

To be fair, the left one looks bad but the right wall texture is basically what the artstyle of the game was trying to convey, a sort of old oil painting look.

iirc there's also a specific level where someone dies even if you don't interact with them or even go near them, you have to prevent them from dying or it will count against you

though i'm half remembering this from some /r/dishonored posts, so it could be just tales from my ass.

Hmm, you might be thinking of a different game, I got the Clean Hands achievement and don't remember having to do something like that in any mission. I do remember that if Guards or other third parties end up killing each other, or rats kill them while they're still conscious, it doesn't count against you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I find it funny how everyone is outraged that this game is 30fps, yet nobody is batting an eye that the Gears of War campaign is only 30fps.

Hypocrits!!

Having played both of them today. Despite a few drops here and there, the GoW:UE is a fluid 30 fps. Dishonored DE doesn't feel QUITE as fluid.

Having said that, I do plan to start a twitter rally to petition Bethesda to further optimize the game for 60 fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
could've been that someone you knocked unconscious got eaten by rats or fell into the sea, and line of sight in this game can be pretty iffy sometimes. Shit like that is a real bummer indeed. You gotta be reeeeal careful in this game to get those cheevos.

Yeah, that was my only real criticism of the game. You often had no way of knowing if these events happened.

I find it funny how everyone is outraged that this game is 30fps, yet nobody is batting an eye that the Gears of War campaign is only 30fps.

Hypocrits!!

Are you being serious?

Gears is a full-on remake..this is not. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for this port to be running below 60 fps. It's not a dealbreaker for me personally, but it's still ridiculous.

Golgo 13

So.... I'm actually going to post about the contents of the game! Holy shit!!!

I've never played the DLC for the game before the definitive edition and wow, I forgot how god damn good this game is! Just passed the slaughterhouse in Knife Of Dunwall and I'm falling in love with this game again. First off, Daud's voice actor is incredible. He actually sounds like a professional actor (I can't put my finger on who it is currently and honestly don't care) unlike almost every other performance in games. Adds a lot to the game IMO, I wish game companies would hire more real actors for their games (and yeah I know about Susan Sarandon from the main game).

And the gameplay and atmosphere! Damn, it's just so good. And all the secrets! I ended up failing in any attempt to use stealth and pretty much butchered (lol) my way through that part of the game and still had loads of fun. Just reminds me that this game has plenty of replayability. How long are the DLCs? Someone has said they're about as long as the main game when put together, just wanted to double check.

SURGEdude

Hypocrits!!

Having played both of them today. Despite a few drops here and there, the GoW:UE is a fluid 30 fps. Dishonored DE doesn't feel QUITE as fluid.

Having said that, I do plan to start a twitter rally to petition Bethesda to further optimize the game for 60 fps.

Hey I complained about both. PS4 and XB1 respectively.

That said, comparing the decentish Gears port to this lets whoever ported it off too easy.

Kaz42

I've never played the DLC for the game before the definitive edition and wow, I forgot how god damn good this game is! Just passed the slaughterhouse in Knife Of Dunwall and I'm falling in love with this game again. First off, Daud's voice actor is incredible. He actually sounds like a professional actor (I can't put my finger on who it is currently and honestly don't care) unlike almost every other performance in games. Adds a lot to the game IMO, I wish game companies would hire more real actors for their games (and yeah I know about Susan Sarandon from the main game).

And the gameplay and atmosphere! Damn, it's just so good. And all the secrets! I ended up failing in any attempt to use stealth and pretty much butchered (lol) my way through that part of the game and still had loads of fun. Just reminds me that this game has plenty of replayability. How long are the DLCs? Someone has said they're about as long as the main game when put together, just wanted to double check.

I know you said you didn't care who Daud was acted by but it's Michael Madsen, he is indeed a professional actor. I loved him in Reservoir Dogs.

That's cool you're liking the dlc. I'm gonna try it out when Gamefly sends it my way so hearing your impressions makes me a bit more excited to play it.

Tagyhag

Hypocrits!!

30 fps for Gears SP is lame but there are differences.

1. They actually did a pretty big graphical update to the base game.

2. They let us know BEFORE THE GAME RELEASED that the SP was going to be 30fps.

Golgo 13

I know you said you didn't care who Daud was acted by but it's Michael Madsen, he is indeed a professional actor. I loved him in Reservoir Dogs.

That's cool you're liking the dlc. I'm gonna try it out when Gamefly sends it my way so hearing your impressions makes me a bit more excited to play it.
It's fine, I can know the name, it just wasn't important to me as the quality of the voice work. Daud is a badass, don't know what to think of Billy Lurk yet though ;)

Davide

How's the Remote Play for this? I like to play any games that don't need a big TV to appreciate (unlike The Witcher) on the Vita.

I know people are pissed, but why does that make them say things like this that are completely untrue?

I can only go by the pictures posted here. I don't own the DE (yet).
Judging them and going by my memory of what the game looked like on the PS3 I see little that makes me go, hell yea DE!
As 1080p is the one of the few things we actually had confirmation about at the time that is the one part I jumped on as an improvement.

Kaz42

It's fine, I can know the name, it just wasn't important to me as the quality of the voice work. Daud is a badass, don't know what to think of Billy Lurk yet though ;)

Ah I see. Yeah I agree that the quality of voice acting is more important than what the actor's name is or rather if they're famous or not. I was just giving Michael Madsen some credit mostly because I like his roles in movies.

Golgo 13

Ah I see. Yeah I agree that the quality of voice acting is more important than what the actor's name is or rather if they're famous or not. I was just giving Michael Madsen some credit mostly because I like his roles in movies.
Yup, I got curious and checked him out. Really good actor actually, forgot how many movies he was in. Probably would've been a better Snake than Keifer Southerland. Oh well. :p

I was going to pick this up just to play through the DLCs, but I don't know now. Seems like it's not worth it.

Game is so damn fun though. Seriously if console is the only way for you to play it, there has never been a better version to play.

Loving the atmosphere of this game, I unlocked the framerate and bumped it up to 144 to match my new monitor and I am in love. The art direction/style of this game looks so damn good in motion. Taking a look at my Steam counter, I've 71 hours with it and am excited to do yet another playthrough after having learned some things from that one fellas youtube killtackulars. Game is only limited by your imagination.

Golgo 13

How's the Remote Play for this? I like to play any games that don't need a big TV to appreciate (unlike The Witcher) on the Vita.
I booted up my Vita, and remote play works really well. There's even a well-thought out control scheme for the Vita (I didn't know developers made alternate control schemes for VITA remote play) Works great :)

SimplexPL

PC version with DLC takes up 14GB. Perhaps all those gigabytes in the so-called "Definitive Edition" are different language versions?

KORNdoggy

PC Version Tree

2015_08_25_00002.jpg

PS4 Version Tree

honestly. i like the PS4 version. it looks like an artistic change. looks more fitting with the illustrated, almost water colour art style to me?

I just looked at IMDB for this game, I had no idea how many big people are in the game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
30 fps for Gears SP is lame but there are differences.

1. They actually did a pretty big graphical update to the base game.

2. They let us know BEFORE THE GAME RELEASED that the SP was going to be 30fps.
I see. If Bethesda had lets us know BEFOREHAND that it would be 30fps nobody would be upset,

Got it.

Crisium

The consoles are clearly using a lot of FXAA. This technique gets rid of aliasing for almost no performance penalty, but creates a tremendous blur effect that gets rid of details. Not just on the edges - but on ALL textures does FXAA ruin the imagine.

Take a look again at the comparison. Note the wall textures coming from the left (the one not in the foreground). The detail on the PC version is much larger because it is using proper AA.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=176542201&postcount=1258

What's sad is that even using performance negligible FX AA, they still cannot achieve 60fps. Even if the poor CPU speed is why they are stuck at 30fps, there is no excuse not to use proper AA. Again, my laptop PC GPU is pretty comparable to the Xbone and markedly slower than the PS4's yet was able to custom edit the config to get higher AA - and not FXAA. In their porting efforts, they must have determined that using proper AA would require time to figure out, so they took the easy way out and smeared what I like to call FauX AA all over the screen. Laziness or lack of monetary incentive, but they didn't even try.

Top Bottom