• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: DE (PS4/XBO) - In the days that follow, your trials will be great

From a visual stand point I see no reason to upgrade to the if you have it on the PS3

At this point, I'd disagree. Looks just like the PC version at maxed or nearly-maxed settings, at 30fps. Screen tearing is definitely concerning but if you're not sensitive to it then it's no biggie, and who knows, it might get fixed in a patch.

KyleCross

Just to confirm; that screen-tearing in the sewers on XB1 posted earlier is also in the PS4 version. Just saw it during a live-stream linked here by webkatt. But it seems to literally just be in that one area with the flickering light and actually moving around it'll be over as soon as you saw it.

I was waiting for this kind of response.

Hey guys buy the game and I promise it will look amazing.

Amazing.

Promise.

Just keep playing.

Sorry dude I don't buy that shit for a heartbeat. Or did they just decide not to do a good job on the early chapters cuz?

you should stop by the last two PC screenshot threads some time. This game's assets often aren't very hot when viewed up close, but scenes can look pretty goddamn good, and the game looks pretty good in motion overall, I'd say.

Just to confirm; that screen-tearing in the sewers on XB1 posted earlier is also in the PS4 version. Just saw it during a live-stream linked here by webkatt. But it seems to literally just be in that one area with the flickering light and actually moving around it'll be over as soon as you saw it.

I'd agree with this. Everything other than the sewers has been vsyncd or close to it. I wanted to bring attention to that clip since i don't know how prevalent dynamic light sources become later on.

SURGEdude

you should stop by the last two PC screenshot threads some time. This game's assets often aren't very hot when viewed up close, but scenes can look pretty goddamn good, and the game looks pretty good in motion overall, I'd say.

Oh I agree about the "whole picture" concept. This is certainly not the kind of title that should be judged by a single screen or texture. It's very much intended to be cartoonish within reason. That said, this "Definitive Edition" is anything but well made.

gossi

I was waiting for this kind of response.

Hey guys buy the game and I promise it will look amazing.

Amazing.

Promise.

Just keep playing.

Sorry dude I don't buy that shit for a heartbeat. Or did they just decide not to do a good job on the early chapters cuz?

I never said anything you just quoted. You were saying the screenshots we not possible in the game. They are. You walk straight into that area in the screenshots.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Loved the game at release, but don't think this is enough of an upgrade for a re-buy. It's funny to think that just a few weeks ago GoW3 was called a lazy port by many. IMO:

Port: Protoype
Bad Remaster: Dishonored
Okay Remaster: GoW3
Good Remaster: Nathan Drake Collection (early impressions)
Remake: Gears ultimate edition.

Fuckin bioshock was 60 fps on a 360. How is this not 60

I don't think this is true, it's been a while but that was an unstable 30 fps IIRC

I'd agree with this. Everything other than the sewers has been vsyncd or close to it. I wanted to bring attention to that clip since i don't know how prevalent dynamic light sources become later on.

Ok, this is good to know. Thanks guys.

I despise screen tearing. If this section is the worst of it though, I can live. Hopefully it doesn't pop up later on, but sadly, it probably does.

Orca

These are almost impossible to get good shots. Take the general user shots/video in this thread over somebody who posts stuff randomly like this without comment. I'm not even sure these ones are totally real.

Edit: Yeah, even these mediocre shots are seemingly impossible based on my experience so far.

screenshot-original6e2rl9.png

screenshot-original5tjpxj.png

screenshot-original4sxocd.png

screenshot-original3y0rn1.png

screenshot-original2mxr97.png

Doesn't seem that hard, much less 'impossible', to get good looking shots.

I went back and checked and that video posted earlier is making a mountain out of a mole hill. You can move 10 feet forward in that section and get no tearing at all - seems to be triggered by the flashing light behind you - and it's the only section I've seen thus far that I've noticed any screen tearing at all.

The game could probably look and run better, but it's really not worth getting so bent out of shape about. It's hardly a 'shit-tier port' like the Prototype games are.

SURGEdude

I never said anything you just quoted. You were saying the screenshots we not possible in the game. They are. You walk straight into that area in the screenshots.

I think we may have just had an impasse about what we meant, not the content :)

My point was only that technical gaffes so early in a game are likely harbingers of worse ones later.

SURGEdude

screenshot-original6e2rl9.png

screenshot-original5tjpxj.png

screenshot-original4sxocd.png

screenshot-original3y0rn1.png

screenshot-original2mxr97.png

Doesn't seem that hard, much less 'impossible', to get good looking shots.

I went back and checked and that video posted earlier is making a mountain out of a mole hill. You can move 10 feet forward in that section and get no tearing at all - seems to be triggered by the flashing light behind you - and it's the only section I've seen thus far that I've noticed any screen tearing at all.

The game could probably look and run better, but it's really not worth getting so bent out of shape about. It's hardly a 'shit-tier port' like the Prototype games are.

What's your agenda?

Look at the textures close and explain how it's significantly better than 9 year old consoles are providing. Because 1080P is the only improvement. Even the AA is shit.

I clearly remember, many years back, disabling the framerate lock on Bioshock for 360 and being treated with a very inconsistent framerate, usually in the high thirties or low fourties if I had to guess, alongside copious amounts of screen tearing. Definitely not 60fps.

Look at the textures close and explain how it's significantly better than 9 year old consoles are providing. Because 1080P is the only improvement. Even the AA is shit.

The AA is shit? It looks perfectly effective to me, especially considering that most people will be playing the game from a reasonable distance from their TV as opposed to up close to computer monitors. I can't discern whether or not it's FXAA or something more involved - it's probably FXAA given that there's about as much aliasing there as there is in my PC shots viewed at native res 3200x1800, but FXAA seems to work shockingly well for this game - but regardless, I'm seeing very few jagged edges in those screens. And like I pointed out last page, this game is definitely using maxed textures from the PC version with a little smoothing for good measure, at the very least.

I expected a lot more, as I figured that this game running at settings analogous to PC's max settings at 1080p/60fps was an absolute lock, but playing this game on PS4 or Xbox One will be like playing the game back in 2012 on a powerful computer relative to the 360 and PS3 (just, you know... locked at 30fps).

SURGEdude

The AA is shit? It looks perfectly effective to me, especially considering that most people will be playing the game from a reasonable distance from their TV as opposed to up close to computer monitors (and even though I'm a proponent of that platform above all, the PC version features MLAA, FXAA, or nothing at all. If you're not rocking the hardware to downsample, you're getting significant aliasing on PC, period). I can't discern whether or not it's FXAA or something more involved, but regardless, I'm seeing very few jagged edges in those screens. And like I pointed out last page, this game is definitely using maxed textures from the PC version with a little smoothing for good measure, at the very least.

I expected a lot more, as I figured that this game running at settings analogous to PC's max settings at 1080p/60fps was an absolute lock, but playing this game on PS4 or Xbox One will be like playing the game back in 2012 on a powerful computer relative to the 360 and PS3 (just, you know... locked at 30fps).

It's a high textured not solid 30fps port of a game with low initial requirements at launch. But we all know that a well done port can do amazing thing on console hardware. This game isn't pushing anything. 60/1080 should have been easy on this hardware.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Mid 30s to high 40s with a lot of screentearing with vysnch off. Definitely not 60fps.

Loved the game at release, but don't think this is enough of an upgrade for a re-buy. It's funny to think that just a few weeks ago GoW3 was called a lazy port by many. IMO:

Port: Protoype
Bad Remaster: Dishonored
Okay Remaster: GoW3
Good Remaster: Nathan Drake Collection (early impressions)
Remake: Gears ultimate edition.

Those terms including "remaster" and "remake" are very strange. All of the above you describe are ports of varying degrees.

Prototype is a bad port because it is lesser than the original.

Dishonored is a straightforward port because it has around the same performance as the original.

God of War, UC and Gears of War are all enhanced ports because they add new things whether that be new models, new lighting, or higher framerate.

TheYanger

Uprezzing a game on last gen hardware with almost 0 other effort isn't shit tier anymore? What the fuck parallel universe is this?

Look at Tomb raider, effectively a launch title for current gen, blows the old version out of the water. Heck, even cross gen stuff like Black Flag, the game already looked good on 360/ps3 but the current gen ones are fucking sharp and fluid. How can this game not run 60 fps with nothing else being touched like it has? It's a shit port.

Well, I just took a few high res screenshots of the PC version and tried my best to mirror the screenshots taken on PS4 earlier in this thread.

The game rocks maxed PC textures on XB1 and PS4 for sure. Compare my shots against these ones. Some textures in the DE actually look a little bit better, and some look a little bit worse. I think it's because they've all been softened just a bit as a whole in DE, which helps the grainier textures, but hurts the more natural looking ones. The sofa looks slightly better textured in the DE, while the wooden paneling on the boat looks better on the PC, as a result of this, but they appear to be basically the same textures at the same resolution as far as I can tell. The insanely low FOV won't be doing this game's relatively low-res texture work any favors on PS4 and XB1, though. Any word on whether or not you can change the FOV in the console versions? There's a slider in the PC version.

Your pc shots are really maxed out textures? If so, yes, looks nearly the same.

SURGEdude

And so is he. And he posted screenshots and you didn't believe they were real. For some reason. And then he posted more and you got offended and claimed he had an agenda. Classy.

I never suggested they weren't real and any reading of it would see that. I just said they were opportunistic.

TheYanger

Oh, and for the record I doubt anyone expected them to go redraw textures or anything - max PC textures is the best we should expect tbh, it's just a shame they were kind of poor in the first place. That said, when you're doing nothing else there's no reason the game shouldn't also hit 60 frames.

Uprezzing a game on last gen hardware with almost 0 other effort isn't shit tier anymore? What the fuck parallel universe is this?

Look at Tomb raider, effectively a launch title for current gen, blows the old version out of the water. Heck, even cross gen stuff like Black Flag, the game already looked good on 360/ps3 but the current gen ones are fucking sharp and fluid. How can this game not run 60 fps with nothing else being touched like it has? It's a shit port.

I would reserve "shit tier" for a port that looks and/or performs worse than the original game. Dishonored just seems to be very lazy and rushed. Obviously that doesn't make it worth owning for most people.

SURGEdude

Oh, and for the record I doubt anyone expected them to go redraw textures or anything - max PC textures is the best we should expect tbh, it's just a shame they were kind of poor in the first place. That said, when you're doing nothing else there's no reason the game shouldn't also hit 60 frames.

Don't tell that to OrbitalBeard because he isn't thrilled unless consumers are fucked.

EGM1966

Looks lesser experience than PC but probably better than last gen.

If you've never played it maybe worth the purchase but I see zero reason to even consider it after playing 1080p/60fps on PC with DLC.

I'm surprised it's not 60fps though as I see no reason it shouldn't be.

wow crappy textures alert. it has got to be a bug...

/prays
No, its not a bug, its a video game. It's called Dishonored. You should try it some time. It's really good.
Your pc shots are really maxed out textures? If so, yes, looks nearly the same.
Yep. That's about as good as the game can possibly look short of injecting your own post processing effects. For those of you who are concerned that some of the textures are real low resolution, well...

Welcome to Dishonored

Don't tell that to OrbitalBeard because he isn't thrilled unless consumers are fucked.

Remember where I said you "flipped out" earlier?

This is essentially the type of thing I was talking about. This is getting dangerously close to being off-topic though, so let's just move on.

Jito

Banned
Smh, people compliaing about textures in Dishonored. The whole game is meant to have a muddy artistic flair to it. Those shots look identical to PC, don't know how you expected it to look better.

30 fps is a shame though, Great game regardless.

SURGEdude

Smh, people compliaing about textures in dishonored. The whole game is meant to have a muddy artistic flair to it. Those shots look identical to PC, don't know how you expected it to look better.

I don't think anybody expected better textures. But with the shitty ones you talk about 60fps should have been easy.

EGM1966

No, its not a bug, its a video game. It's called Dishonored. You should try it some time. It's really good.
Textures look same as PC to me. They fit the art style IMHO. Seems some were expecting s huge textures overhaul which surprises me.

The main issue I can see with the port is the FPS: the consoles should manage 60 I'd argue. That said overall from what I've seen if you've never played the game and don't game on PC this may not be worst option to check it out.

I replayed it recently and still think it's a great little game.

THRILLH0

Banned
I never suggested they weren't real and any reading of it would see that. I just said they were opportunistic.

These are almost impossible to get good shots. Take the general user shots/video in this thread over somebody who posts stuff randomly like this without comment. I'm not even sure these ones are totally real.

Are you really melting down over a competent if disappointing remaster of Dishonoured?

Ravidrath

So I haven't played this, and have the free PSN+ version on PS3.

Despite the performance concerns, would the upgrade be worth it from the base PS3 version?

Camper182

So I haven't played this, and have the free PSN+ version on PS3.

Despite the performance concerns, would the upgrade be worth it from the base PS3 version?

yes, it's very cheap

for me the most horrible thing about this version of the game is that the FOV is still soooooo loooow

Top Bottom