• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: DE (PS4/XBO) - In the days that follow, your trials will be great

I can confirm that it does indeed use parallax occlusion mapping on the ground in the intro. What a weird thing to add when you can't even be bothered to implement anisotropic filtering... PS4 version btw.

I'm really curious to know who worked on this port, I didn't know that POM wasn't implemented in the PC version in any way shape or form. Hopefully Digital Foundry will do an analysis of the port in the near future.

My_Great_Capture_Screen_Shot_2015_08_25_05_32_44.png

My_Great_Capture_Screen_Shot_2015_08_25_05_37_17.png

My_Great_Capture_Screen_Shot_2015_08_25_05_33_07.png

POM but no AF? What is this madness?!

JoeFenix

you sayin they added new graphical tweaks like POM on latest patch?

I think he's comparing it to the PC version running with max settings. It seems like this port isn't a straight up carbon copy of the pc version with zero visual changes. Having never played Dishonored before I'm not entirely bothered by the lack of 60 fps (although it should be more than achievable considering the visuals on display) but the lack of AF in the PS4 build really hurts the look of the game.

Might be a case where it was relatively simple for the devs to add lightshafts and POM because UE3 now supports those features? I get the feeling that Arkane themselves might have worked on this? Honestly if they could implement AF and give us an option to disable the heart voice coming from the controller than I would be moderately satisfied considering the price I paid for this version.

Also, why the hell is this version 32GB compared to the PC version which clocks in at 5.3GB on Steam?

Atolm

From the previously posted screens, it looks significantly better than last gen versions. I still don't know if it's enough for me to double dip.

I still have until the 31th to decide.

JoeFenix

Ok, I did verify that the PC version does not have POM (honestly it doesn't make much of a difference, the specific ground texture is the same otherwise) but it seems like the PS4 version uses lower resolution assets on trees and some foliage (only checked the intro) which is just ridiculous.

What a frankenstein port, I really want to know who worked on this now.

thatJohann

watch this lazy port get torn a new one by eurogamer digital foundry and then watch Bethesda announcing patch to "fix" game.

this generation is a joke.

brinstar

As someone who's never played this game before and is uninterested in tech stuff, is this worth getting over the PS3 version? The sequel made me wanna check this out, but I can't tell if people mean bad port as in worse than original or bad port as in, not taking advantage of the hardware.

mike4001_

As someone who's never played this game before and is uninterested in tech stuff, is this worth getting over the PS3 version? The sequel made me wanna check this out, but I can't tell if people mean bad port as in worse than original or bad port as in, not taking advantage of the hardware.

Well, seems its exactly the same game in 1080p with all DLC included.

Decide for yourself if it´s worth 20 (or 40) USD/€ to you.

Also, why the hell is this version 32GB compared to the PC version which clocks in at 5.3GB on Steam?

I'm wondering the same thing. This version is huge. I guess they just didn't compress anything and the previous platform versions were very compressed?

Even with the DLC, that seems large. Even moreso considering they haven't seemed to have added any new textures or anything.

psychotron

watch this lazy port get torn a new one by eurogamer digital foundry and then watch Bethesda announcing patch to "fix" game.

this generation is a joke.

I doubt we'll see much of an improvement regardless. Maybe AF, but the textures won't get a bump most likely, and 60 fps is probably out too. Lazy ports like this usually remain that way.

Ok putting graphical "tweaks" aside, I still don't understand why this isn't 60fps on PS4 and XB1.

It's obvious that they can handle it going by the recommended specs and anecdotal evidence of people running it at 60fps on G/CPU's weaker than that of the two consoles. I think that's the part that irritates me the most.

That and the fact that they were very quite on the port. Their silence speaks volumes.

ced

60 FPS talk is getting old, I guess I'm the only person who preferred TLOU PS4 with the 30 FPS lock.

Going back to hiding in my cave now...

60 FPS talk is getting old, I guess I'm the only person who preferred TLOU PS4 with the 30 FPS lock.

Going back to hiding in my cave now...
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that nobody else does, and, as you said, you had the option between the two in TLOU, which nobody has here.

ced

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that nobody else does, and, as you said, you had the option between the two in TLOU, which nobody has here.

True, but 12 pages of it is getting old.

I have the feeling that anyone complaining games on PC since they care so much about 60 FPS, so they can just play the PC version.

Game and the DLC is really awesome BTW for anyone who missed it. I would recommend not upgrading blink though and turning off all the waypoint markers.

barit

After all the ups and downs I now can't wait to finally play it. Never finished it on PS3 despite playing it almost to the end (I think). Game is awesome and I really hope Arkane bothers to patch the last minor bugs like AF on PS4. The dream of 60fps is dead tho. But why have I to wait till friday as digital king and disc peasants playing already? Unfair!

True, but 12 pages of it is getting old.

I have the feeling that anyone complaining games on PC since they care so much about 60 FPS, so they can just play the PC version.

Game and the DLC is really awesome BTW for anyone who missed it.

Yeah it sucks when threads get this long. I'm only halfway through the Halo community thread! All those posts I don't want to read (but have to because I have to)

Asgaro

This is going to be one of those Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition situations where people shit on a great game because the current gen port isn't a huge improvement over the previous gen version, isn't it?

Yes, because console remasters are a straight rip-off.

If you buy a PC game, you buy it once. When you get better hardware, the game will scale dynamically to the new hardware and provide better graphics and FPS. All for one initial purchase price.

Meanwhile on consoles... you have to first buy a totally new game. And then, if you are lucky you actually get any improvements.

I played this last night for about 10 min on XB1 and I thought it looked horrible. Instant regret once I noticed some frame pacing issues. Maybe the new patch helped?

biteren

well regardless of how "Definitive" this version really is, the game is still a masterpiece and im having a blas playing it again. im just happy i got it for 20 and no more

Well shit. I'm only in the sewers and I already found a place where the screen is tearing.

Definitely not a locked v-sync folks. Once the clip uploads to the Xbox servers, i'll post a link.

Edit: I just watched the clip back. Its not good. Peeps gonna be pissed.

It's only my fist time through the game, so i don't know what comes later, but if the screen is tearing with a light source in the sewer and no one around, I can only imagine its gonna be worse later on when things are busy.

Ok, here's the clip.

http://xboxclips.com/SimpleCRIPPLE/1c9a6fbe-7bbb-46dd-8be6-35d304bf817e

Waited 30 seconds to make sure it was fully loaded.

ldsvDHt.jpg

Edit: PS4

Waited a full 2 minutes left the area and came back to make sure it wasn't a UE3 loading issue.

M6rNgQ1.jpg

Nope
not-like-this.gif

Jombie

What a shame. I was really looking forward to this, but if it's as bad as some are saying I certainly won't be paying full retail price for it.

kevin1025

Banned
Just played through the opening two areas (the start and the "first" mission). The game looks really good, it's definitely a better looking version than the last gen versions but doesn't reach the PC version's heights (I'd say it is like the PC version on high settings). It is 30fps, which to some may be a blow, but to me it's fine, it looks to be a stable 30, unless it falls apart in later missions when it gets more open during missions. That screen tearing Xbox clip from earlier seems to be a Borderlands: Pre-Sequel problem, present in the Xbox One version and not there on PS4. Textures, well, some look incredible, some not at all, that valve screenshot is a good example. But some of the textures look awesome. It's unfortunate that everyone is hung up on the visuals, the game still plays great and it is an improvement, just not the improvement everyone was expecting. I'm impressed with it!

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So I played for about an hour yesterday. This, is an ugly game. But, it's also a fun game. Since I bought it for $20, I'll toss it into the indie game price range and call it a good deal.

Just played through the opening two areas (the start and the "first" mission). The game looks really good, it's definitely a better looking version than the last gen versions but doesn't reach the PC version's heights (I'd say it is like the PC version on high settings). It is 30fps, which to some may be a blow, but to me it's fine, it looks to be a stable 30, unless it falls apart in later missions when it gets more open during missions. That screen tearing Xbox clip from earlier seems to be a Borderlands: Pre-Sequel problem, present in the Xbox One version and not there on PS4. Textures, well, some look incredible, some not at all, that valve screenshot is a good example. But that's not to say that some of the textures look awesome. It's unfortunate that everyone is hung up on the visuals, the game still plays great and it is an improvement, just not the improvement everyone was expecting. I'm impressed with it!

Already confirmed to be in both versions. It's a very small section of the sewers though. Tearing doesn't appear to be a regular occurrence.

MadSexual

Ok putting graphical "tweaks" aside, I still don't understand why this isn't 60fps on PS4 and XB1.

It's obvious that they can handle it going by the recommended specs and anecdotal evidence of people running it at 60fps on G/CPU's weaker than that of the two consoles. I think that's the part that irritates me the most.

That and the fact that they were very quite on the port. Their silence speaks volumes.
I'm surprised too. I played Dishonored on a 7870/3570 machine. That's more powerful than a PS4, especially the processor. The GPU is comparable though. Why do I mention this? Because I could play it at locked 30 FPS at 4K! 1080 would seem like a breeze even with the restrictions of the hardware.

But some of the textures look awesome. It's unfortunate that everyone is hung up on the visuals, the game still plays great and it is an improvement, just not the improvement everyone was expecting.
Well, it's a remaster of an older game. Usually with the point of a 'remaster', visual and performance enhancements are implied, hence people's focus on them. And they failed miserably here.

Hasney

Well, it's a remaster of an older game. Usually with the point of a 'remaster', visual and performance enhancements are implied, hence people's focus on them. And they failed miserably here.

Exactly. I don't see the incentive to spend the money no matter how small it is when I own the game already. Especially as it's been given away on both GWG and Plus at this point.

kevin1025

Banned
Exactly. I don't see the incentive to spend the money no matter how small it is when I own the game already. Especially as it's been given away on both GWG and Plus at this point.

I see this more as something for people who have never played the game before. I don't know, maybe I'm just more forgiving to the game.

Top Bottom