• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.

FillerB

If I was to call it here and now, I'd say it'd be either in the vain of Maniac Mansion (fitting your point and click theory) or Lost Vikings, where you switch between the twins and an ever changing third party (Soos, Grunkle Stan, Wendy, etc).

While I wouldn't call it a theory but more an idle hope since I really doubt there is a proper game coming anyway, that would be amazing.

If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about the AT game? It was an easier Zelda II, which I dug greatly. Then again, I only got for $10, rather than $40, so maybe that's why...
Asides from the initial price it just didn't feel like something that could stand on its own feet. So much of the game resolves around the shows charm. The dialogue, the art, the music. That is what makes the game. But if you aren't a fan of the show, if you don't have nostalgia-goggles for good old Zelda 2 then what is left? Fetch quests, endless backtracking and simple sidescrolling action. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but it is something that you would expect from a $10 costing eShop game.

Finally got around to watching the latest episode (i'm a terrible fan, I know) and I absolutely loved it. This show just keeps getting better and better. Really reminded me of why I love it so much. Just <3. Sidenote: I'm a little late, but Hirsch tweeted this earlier:

K7W1wQe.jpg

It's Grunkle Sam! Happy belated Fourth, you guys.

Sorry for not posting earlier; been busy with the holiday...

So, the new episode premiered on demand/
leaked
(thanks, Time Warner)

Fair warning: Dreamscaperers is part of the season finale...(so ready your GF bingo cards, GF-GAF)

Not sure if this means we have another half hour or hour ahead of us though...we'll probably see in the next month or so...

Some notes:

1. The pyramid guy,
Bill is fucking crazy. Think of a neutral evil, kinda like the Terror Mask in Splatterhouse. Still, pretty neat (that deer teeth scene...fuck me...)
2. If anything, this episode
left more questions than answers. Bill references the wheel of ciphers at the beginning of the show, he seems to have a past history with Stan, etc.
3. Another cute
Dipper and Stan
sequence...
4. Since when does
stealing someones deed automatically give you ownership, especially with the owners name still on it?
5. Probably the thing that bugged me the most.
Yeah, Wendy is in this episode for two split seconds, but it is like the events of Boyz Crazy never took place! She's laughing with the family about their joined hate of Gideon. There is also a somewhat cute scene where the two are playing with NERF guns (she gets Dipper in the back of the head). But, no mention of Robbie, or Dipper or Stan overstepping their boundaries. I was like, WTF, as if there was an missed episode in between that wrapped things up. Maybe Hirsch did this purposely...
. (tears bingo card in half...)
6. Fuck you GF Team
for teasing us about the vending machine!

Anyhoo, a good closer (or at least a start...), but IMHO, not great. By the way Hirsch and crew made this sound, it was going to be epic (a la Venture Bros season finales...). Perhaps Adult Swim spoiled me...

FillerB

Bingo Card Update. Does not contain spoilers that weren't already known months/weeks ago.
Looks like I'm not going to get a Bingo at this rate.

I'm looking forward to a transcript of the
(summoning)-spells.
. I'm not a native speaker but I can only catch snippets of what is said.

As for 5. That was weird. I hope they didn't do just resolve that off-screen.

Bingo Card Update. Does not contain spoilers that weren't already known months/weeks ago.
Looks like I'm not going to get a Bingo at this rate.

I'm looking forward to a transcript of the
(summoning)-spells.
. I'm not a native speaker but I can only catch snippets of what is said.

As for 5. That was weird. I hope they didn't do just resolve that off-screen.

http://mr-elementle.tumblr.com/post/54723347600/i-reversed-little-gideon-in-the-new-gravity-falls

Actually, you'd be surprised by the true meaning of the
spells.

Also, don't feel bad about bingo. I'm losing my ass off (except for the
bill
panel). Remember, there's still time...

4. Since when does
stealing someones deed automatically give you ownership, especially with the owners name still on it?

From what I understand, of some logic mixed with seeing the plot device used in other films/tv shows:

Without the deed, Stan has no proof he actually owns the land. So if Gideon takes the deed and hides it, burns it, whatever, and then goes to buy the land the Mystery Shack is on, Stan no longer has any proof that the land is his and he can be evicted and the land sold to Gideon.

May have spoken too soon...

iYaImqC2sO1cF.png

That's cool and all,
a second cliffhanger then?
but when compared to this earlier in the season:

ij9EbUkhATGZt.png

That means we're missing an episode somewhere...(it's gonna be an exclusive on a DVD/BR set, isn't it?)

Maybe I wasn't too far off with my spoiler notes posted above (#5). If anyone in GF-GAF uses twitter, would you mind shooting our guy a quick question about it? Thanks

So when did 20 episode seasons become a standard? Is it because of the economy recently, or is there a logistical reason behind it? (eg 13 episodes = one ep a week for a season, 65 episodes = one ep a weekday for a season, etc)

Kinvara

It feels like to me that a lot of time characters go through insane hardships to please her whims, yet she never bothers helping others.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not getting that impression at all. eh.

So when did 20 episode seasons become a standard? Is it because of the economy recently, or is there a logistical reason behind it? (eg 13 episodes = one ep a week for a season, 65 episodes = one ep a weekday for a season, etc)

20 is such a nice number.

Ezalc

Maybe it's just me but I'm not getting that impression at all. eh.

She always gets what she wants. The pig, all these times when these boy bands show up to please her, they even have Stan showing clear favoritism toward her they had to have part of an episode to address this. It's just bullshit. She's almost always selfish and people have to bend to her whims while she does nothing or almost nothing in return. All because haha she's so wacky and adorable! Fuck it's just irritating to see Dipper among others get the short end of the stick because she can be a brat.

I know I'm pretty late to the Jurassic Party and that most of you have stared into the depths of the Bottomless Pit to watch the new episode early but I just wanted to post a gif of that magnificent pterodactyl fight.
NH9m8eu.gif

It's amazing how Gravity Falls can easily and successfully justify the presence of any crazy scenario like Grunkle Stan punching a pterodactyl in the face while carrying a pig in that baby carrier.

Starting to dislike he favoritism Mabel keeps getting in the show.

Not really sure what you mean by this???

It feels like to me that a lot of time characters go through insane hardships to please her whims, yet she never bothers helping others.

Maybe I can help on this...

At times, Mabel can seem like an asshole, but I guess that comes with the territory as part of her happy-go-lucky-nature.

Granted, it's sort of a double standard, but the whole idea is that it's pictured to be a bad thing when Mabel's "always happy" nature is jeopardized. The end of Time Traveler's Pig (the month after Wendy and Dipper's happy ending) is a perfect example. Even though it sucks doing so (I say this with a heavy heart, for as with myself, I see the people of GAF as easily seeing themselves as small "Dippers" themselves...), Dipper is "supposed" to sacrifice the only bright spots in a gloomy life to be shown as the better man (after all, Dipper is said to be a manifestation of Alex Hirsch himself at age 12...)

Another example was the relationship of Stan and Mabel illustrated in "Land Before Swine." Stan admits to Waddles (a metaphor for arguing with himself) is that it's not such as much as doing the right thing about Waddles; it's about the fact that he will miss out on the specks of light that Mabel's shiny attitude brings to his grouchy psyche. Dipper's deposition is, in a way, much more pessimistic, similar to Stan's own cynicism.

A mirror image of this is presented in the newest episode when Stan
explains to Soos why he's hard on Dipper. Yes, it's a great scene, but part of me felt like saying aloud, "Well, if you were paying closer attention, the kid ALREADY does that and more!" I feel that Dipper makes a lot of ballsy choices for a 12 year old, period, yet alone proving strength and perseverance by chopping wood.

Sorry to stray away from the topic at hand, which I feel is involving the red-headed tall elephant in the room. The idea is that at the beginning of the show, Mabel goes out and says that she is hoping for an epic summer romance, meaning that she wants something meaningful, yet notes it's only for the summer. So, by the time we get to the clones, she had the kidnapping gnomes, Lil Fat Fuck hypnotizing her with the amulet, and fucking Ecco the Dolphin step in and out of her life, and she flips out. It's not really Mabel being an asshole, but showing that she isn't perfect herself. In a way, she is bought down to Dipper's level...

Dipper's case is kinda of the opposite. He is dragged to GF totally down on the world until he finds the book, which interests him (rather than being already hyped like Mabel (e.g. "Yay, Grass!")). Ditto goes for his love life. It wasn't love at first sight in Wendy's case (compared to all of Mabel's interests), rather than she captures his heart the more time they spent together (a more practical way, considering his personal nature, as he pokes fun at Mabel's idea of love at first sight).

However, this leads to the show's nearly-unspoken conflict, where Dipper constantly has to choose between his love for Mabel and Wendy. It seems (as mentioned before) that the show gets kinda preachy where it's presented as "Mabel is your sister forever, while Wendy is some chick you'll know just for this summer, whom probably doesn't like you anyways..."

What the fuck kind of message is that? Consider the fact that Mabel does the complete and utter opposite in nearly every case! Why doesn't Dipper get the same chance that Mabel expects for herself without a guilt trip? I just have this sense of dread that the "Mabel over Wendy" theme isn't going away soon, especially with the true finale coming shortly...

As with the quotes above, it does seem like Mabel is getting a bit meaner in the newer episodes (the comment of "the Wendy pillow" in "Land Before Swine," kinda pissed me off, considering in an ironic twist, Dipper is the first to rally the troops, "for Mabel...").

Yeah, Mabel does like helping out Dipper...except when it comes to her own interests (see "Time Traveler's Pig," "Summerween," and "Deep End.") then, the status quo listed above comes into play. (note how she doesn't argue with Dipper in TTTP when he straight up asks, "You'd rather see Wendy with Robbie...") However, Mabel has been to known to help out others (Stan mostly) without anything in return, so I'll give her that, but I feel the questions/statements above are suggesting Dipper, right? Personally, maybe with the exception of "Deep End," Dipper could have micro-managed these situations to keep things straight with Wendy and Mabel if he was a little bit more persistent (though it's not as obvious as the case in "Double Dipper" where his cowardice did him in, or his arrogance in "Boyz Crazy.")

Personally, I kinda believe that Mabel is actually a jinx to Dipper, despite her loving nature. If you look at all of the episodes in general:

-she tells him that Norman is definitely not a zombie (to which he's something worse...)

-she foreshadows that Gideon will freak out about the breakup (which Dipper receives the effects of)

-the whole manliness thing with Stan (before he runs off; note that Wendy is there watching her dad humiliate him; does Dipper know this?)

-saying that his list will definitely fail with Wendy (which it does)

-TIME CURSE!!!

-the forced Trick or Treating ;(I like Mabel, and I agree with the idea of them spending every Halloween together while they can, but I call bullshit because Summerween isn't Halloween!)

-her displeasure with the new, announcer voice (Mabel no like!)

-the end speech where she alludes to Dipper and Wendy in order to get her way with Mermando (but then, gives her support in every other case otherwise)

-when Wendy and Dipper are playing with the security cameras, Mabel is secretly sitting there, creepily watching them, only to respond, "This is fun; what you two have..."

In fact, the only time I can think of where Mabel’s prediction was totally off was with the hypnosis in Boyz Crazy (take that, Mabel! Dipper was right! (for once...))

Sure, I get that the whole basis of GF is supposed to be about the twins' relationship (as was the creator with his twin sister) but at the same time, the hypocrisy gets on my nerves at certain moments. Perhaps, just perhaps, we are presented with Dipper getting such a hard time because then maybe it would be a lot sweeter...

iUn1H2u31g78q.png

...when he (hopefully) gets his happy ending...(sorry for the rant, guys!)

I think that it's the fact that its way harder to complete a half-hour format these days versus an 11-minute episode format (like Teen Titans Go, AT, RS, Grojband, P&F, etc)

Personally, I'm still hanging on to the theory that Disney wasn't expecting this kind of response for GF (where, ratings wise, it's #1). I guarantee that we'll see a BIG difference come season 2 and 3...

It really isn't, the number of episodes depends entirely on the show and the network. Some Showtime/HBO shows are 12 episodes a season. Some FOX/NBC shows are 13, 16, 18, 22, 26, or even into the 30s - Fringe seasons 1-4 are about ~22 episodes each but season 5 is 13 episodes, whereas Parks & Rec started with a 6-episode first season and all others have been between 16 and 20-something. Some cartoons, depending on the format (11-minute or 22-minute) will be 22-26 episodes (IE, Adventure Time is 26 11-minute episodes) but recently there was a season of Regular Show that was like 30-something episodes and I think South Park is something like 18.

Back in the day the number of episodes ordered had nothing at all to do with the way we watch seasons now, but was based entirely around syndication. Batman TAS, for example, had an initial order of some 60-something episodes and then a final dozen or so were ordered like a year later to push it into syndication, and then after that the New Batman Adventures or whatever it was called was ordered. That's typically why older cartoons are sold in volume sets and not season sets.

FillerB

Is my DVR wrong or is there actually a new episode this Friday?

It's right. "Dreamscapers",
the first half of the season finale
, is airing this friday. One thing you have to bear in mind is that the episode is consistently released On-Demand a week before its airdate. So people with On-Demand (or willing to be piratey) get to see it earlier than most.

Ezalc

It's right. "Dreamscapers",
the first half of the season finale
, is airing this friday. One thing you have to bear in mind is that the episode is consistently released On-Demand a week before its airdate. So people with On-Demand (or willing to be piratey) get to see it earlier than most.

Or people who live outside the US. *cough*

Kinvara

[Long post]

Thanks for posting such a detailed response!

A few of my own thoughts:

The message I got from "Time Traveler's Pig" is different than yours. Dipper spent the whole episode obsessed with trying to prevent Robbie and Wendy from getting together and how he screwed up his chance to impress her. I think the message was "Accept that life is beyond your control. Don't dwell on your mistakes- learn from them and move on."

And as much as I would like to see Dipper happy, I don't see a Wendy and Dipper relationship happening either. It's a part of life to fall in love with someone you can't be with. I would much rather see Dipper come to terms with this and learn to appreciate his friendship with Wendy than get the girl just because "he's a nice guy and deserves it".

Tuck

Thoughts on the finale (Spoilers):

That whole bit about what was behind the vending machine was a *masterful* troll - reminded me of what happened to Zuko's mom in Legend of Korra. I do hope we actually find out whats behind the vending machine one day though.

Ending was great. Bill was a nice villain and it looks like we'll see him again next season at some point.

EDIT: Oh I only saw part 1. Interesting...

Thanks for posting such a detailed response!

A few of my own thoughts:

The message I got from "Time Traveler's Pig" is different than yours. Dipper spent the whole episode obsessed with trying to prevent Robbie and Wendy from getting together and how he screwed up his chance to impress her. I think the message was "Accept that life is beyond your control. Don't dwell on your mistakes- learn from them and move on."

I agree with some of your points there, but a few thoughts...

I don't think that it was a matter of trying to fuck with Robbie or impressing Wendy. Remember, Dipper was already promised a day with Wendy even before Robbie came in with his bullshit. Even at 12 yrs old, Dipper is smart enough to know that that punk thrusting meant he wanted Wendy bad...It was moreso the fact that his action was the thing that created that sweetened moment where the two had gotten together. The good future kinda proves this, for Wendy totally blows off Robbie when he acts like a jag off about the doll. Think about it like this, if Dipper finally made a shot where yeah, he didn't win the duck, but didn't give Wendy a black eye, would he have continued to go back in time? Granted, winning the doll gave him a few brownie points, but he still would have gotten his day with Wendy's attention on him. It's kinda sweet, but kinda sad at the same time. It really wasn't about winning the doll/impressing her that extra inch (in one of the instances, he tries to talk his way out of it, only to be strong armed into doing so (to me; my favorite part of TTTP; perhaps cause I've been there in real life)

I get the "dwell on your mistakes" part, but I feel that would be more suitable for, let's say, Double Dipper, where he pusses out of asking to dance (despite the supernatural advantage) or him dropping the ball at the end of Boyz Crazy. Both are cases of human error, which yes, you live and learn. This episode was another example of fate screwing Dipper over yet again for what lesson was there to be learned? The value of a friggin pig over than of a cute redhead? Again, Dipper got hosed...

As for the life beyond your control, trust me, I get it. Despite the pessmetic message, it is a true to life statement. At the same time, for every person that says cynicical stuff like this, there's another saying that we have free will/control of your destinies, quoting T2 "there is no fate but what we make..." etc.

And as much as I would like to see Dipper happy, I don't see a Wendy and Dipper relationship happening either. It's a part of life to fall in love with someone you can't be with. I would much rather see Dipper come to terms with this and learn to appreciate his friendship with Wendy than get the girl just because "he's a nice guy and deserves it".

I guess, but this is the thing. In my eyes, when you say "Wendy and Dipper relationship" I think you mean how she had with the goth, which I agree. At the same time, I'm not sure if that's what he wants (or needs for a better term). If anything, I'd say it's not that Dipper should be with the girl cause he's a nice guy, but mostly that he deserves a honest chance to be, where things are based on his own merits rather than circumstance. Kinda like (if anyone remembers) the Hey Arnold! Valentines special where he finally dates his older, dream girl...only to discover she's a total bitch. He got his chance, didn't like it, and walked away... There weren't all these voices in the background saying, "You're going to fail; just give up..."

I would wish for him something like how they interacted in the Deep End, where they got into trouble/had adventures together, just only without that bond being put into constant jeopardy by Robbie, Mabel, etc. Hell, we all know that at the end, Dipper cannot win; he only has to the end of summer to make memories with her, and that's it. He'll probably never see her again. I wouldn't be surprised if throughout the series, he gets nothing more than a hug and a peck on the cheek...and I would be happy, cause it would mean the world to the little kid...

It's kinda like the former post, where I quote Mabel in saying she wants an epic summer romance (meaning it ends at the end of summer). Ironically, she flips her shit after losing several beaus in only a matter of weeks if that (remember, GF is aired as if every episode is a day or two in real time...). Why is Dipper pathetic for wanting the same thing? Sure, despite his intellect, he is only a 12 year old boy, and it makes his innonence a bit more charming. There is a big difference between the audience laughing as he tops off a life plan with "...and marry Wendy..." and the other characters holding that against him to be assholes about it. After all, he isn't being lewd or lustful about the girl; he holds dear the simple things (like a date at the fair, or a dance) that most people would take for granted, and sadly, he is denied even that...

I personally think that's why a lot of GAF really dig Dipper. (look at all of the avatars that popped up within the last year). We can see bits of ourselves in the little guy (I definitely do...if he was to gain another 30-40 pounds) and it makes us feel for him, even if we haven't been there (never really had an older girl crush myself...). Besides, in the 6 months I have been hanging out in this thread, I (thankfully) have yet to see a GAF member say "I really dig that Robbie...

(readies "Get Out.gif" just in case)

Thoughts on the finale (Spoilers):

That whole bit about what was behind the vending machine was a *masterful* troll - reminded me of what happened to Zuko's mom in Legend of Korra. I do hope we actually find out whats behind the vending machine one day though.

Ending was great. Bill was a nice villain and it looks like we'll see him again next season at some point.

EDIT: Oh I only saw part 1. Interesting...

It's funny you say that. A lot of folks think on the web that
the Soos that trolls the vending machine secret is actually Bill transformed as Soos as shown a moment later in the show...

Sorry for double post, but this was just posted on the web:

tumblr_mpr9p99Z1q1rnvm7bo1_500.gif

August 2nd, huh? Not too bad of a wait...(will post a synopsis when it appears)

(don't fuck it up! don't fuck it up!)

EDIT - just had a thought: if August 2nd is the DC airdate, then July 26th would be the on-demand date. Thing is that there aren't any records for the sites I go to (Time Warner, etc). Maybe Hirsch got his wish that the finale will not be aired early?

Sorry for double post, but this was just posted on the web:

tumblr_mpr9p99Z1q1rnvm7bo1_500.gif

August 2nd, huh? Not too bad of a wait...(will post a synopsis when it appears)

(don't fuck it up! don't fuck it up!)

EDIT - just had a thought: if August 2nd is the DC airdate, then July 26th would be the on-demand date. Thing is that there aren't any records for the sites I go to (Time Warner, etc). Maybe Hirsch got his wish that the finale will not be aired early?
Man, there's such a long wait between the 2. This sucks. I think i'm gonna wait and watch both on the same night.

ryan-ts

So I stumbled on this thread 5 days ago, which is the first time I've heard of this show.... I've already watched all the episodes.

Mazre

Fantastic episode.

Deer teeth were legitimately creepy
Xyler and Craz were awesome, great call back and glad to see they got names.
Soos Love Stomache Beam Stare!
Interesting confirmation that the symbols around Bill correspond to specific characters

FillerB

Waiting for the conclusion is a drag.

Is it me or does Bill the isosceles monster seem a lot like Magic Man from Adventure Time? Also dig the black and white labyrinth.

I can see it, but MM seems a lot more wacky for wackies-sake whereas Bill Cipher (moar like Beale ciphers amiright) seems more of the "I can fuck you up any time I want, so I might as well have fun doing it."-kind.

I did an art:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7391ccc3b71f1d6e22eb40cd115d7eee/tumblr_mpu6k1TYr81spza49o1_1280.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I like you. I also like the art.

abundant

How come they had that huge delay between episodes?

Because it's Disney. It's what they do.

The truth is because it's a kids show on a kids TV channel. Every channel dedicated to children programming (Cartoon Network, Disney, the HUB, and Nickelodeon) have wildly inconsistent schedules. Some are far worse than others.

I love how the mythology of the show is expanding. It gives the writers the freedom to do a great episode about anything while still fitting with the rest of the universe.
The introduction of the chaotic Bill Cipher is a great example of that. And it wouldn't surprise me if Stan was revealed as the writer of the numbered journals.
But the only thing that disappointed me is how Wendy is again barely involved in the supernatural adventures of the Pines family.

I'm sad that I have to wait so long for the next half of the season finale episode, but then I remember I also watch LoK and Nick's TMNT and the wait doesn't feel so bad...

So I marathoned the show in two days and found it to be really enjoyable. I absolutely love the intro, music is just so great.

Only one thing really bugged me:
When Paper Jam Dipper dies he says something like "This is the best way to go" Throughout the episode he's played as the retarded dipper and for him to die and say that it just seemed a little ableist and pro-eugenics.

Lots of great episodes, I just wish they would release one each week. It sucks having to wait so long for an episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom