• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_n1xp0xK0zY1sbotlno1_1280.jpg

ibslHZoVZDwLD4.gif

Hamlet

Awesome news much sooner than I was expecting
hopefully its airing schedule isn't as long as season 1 as all those breaks between episodes were so annoying

PaulloDEC

Great to hear (at long last!)

So Summer... that puts the launch somewhere in which months?
As an Australian, I take the attitude that the sooner we stop speaking in seasons and start using actual months that the whole world can understand, the better.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
June 21st - September, so mid-year. Seasons lack specificity, which is probably why they use them.

I only wish I had the foresight to save the whole season. In the off chance it's ever rerun I won't make that mistake again. At least I have the soundtrack on physical media, some proof that the show once existed...

VanWinkle

Season 1 lasted from June 2012 to August 2013. They took close to a year long break between seasons, which is normal for most shows.

Really? Maybe it's just the shows I normally watch, but I can't think of a single one that has close to a full year between seasons.

Rootbeer

Banned

Finally.... whew... thought it might be a goner.

So now that we are getting a season 2... can we get some merch please? Never thought I'd have to beg a cartoon for merch, but there is like... nothing. I need to exercise my fandom by purchasing plastic stuff, please!

shaowebb

Just gonna throw out my fan theory on this.

Season 1 Spoilery fun ensues below.

We've seen some leaked images of season 2. Some stuff involving young Stan...his background. Some of the other cast...these things are gonna come up. We've also seen Stans FULL tattoo and all the cryptograms came together and they mention not to trust Stan Pines which the whole show has reinforced in us...Stan is a liar and a conman.

So why would a conman suddenly want his grand niece and nephew to come stay with him? His TWIN niece and nephew? Also what of Stan's tattoo...the tattoo they made certain was pointed out as a mystery we should think hard about in the shorts. The tattoo we saw fully revealed on the desk. This Tattoo.

nHx2kw4.jpg

Here's my theory and it involves Twins, Stan's past, and the very specific design of the tattoo and why a conman would suddenly want the kids to come stay with him.

Stan had a twin. We've seen it from teaser shots of his past. We dont know what happened to them. They had to have had a family otherwise Great Uncle Stan wouldn't be anyone's great Uncle. Leap of faith here, but I'm guessing something tragic happened to Stan's twin brother. No telling what honestly, but lets just call it "something permanent and bad".

Stan spends his whole life trying to find occult secrets to "undo" or "bring back" his twin...whichever. Talking theoreticals here so bear with the ambiguity. Makes the Mystery Shack and it makes a front perfect for hiding real occult stuff he researches. He experiments here and hides anything he can't use...like a carpet that hidden in a lost room in the Shack. A carpet labeled "experiment" that switched souls in and out of bodies.

Experiments with souls? Hidden in his house? Also remember the OTHER hidden room int he house...it had wax people who came to life. Stan has been trying to find a way to put a soul into a body. Sounds plausible at this point that the "something permanent" theory of mine may hold some truth. Something happened to his Twin's soul and he is trying to fix it.

So why the tattoo? Why the twins?

I think the tattoo is a diagram. Its instructions. The dot is FULL in Stan's tattoo...its empty in the diagram reveal on the desk.

THIS IS MY THEORY.

S5MZOM6.jpg

The books reveal how to get a soul back that is lost. Something Stan has tried to do for a long time...something he has been covering up his failed attempts at doing. Tried to get a soul back into his brother via the carpet...doesn't work if one body doesn't have a soul to swap. Covers it up.
Tries to find the secret of how the cursed wax people were brought back to life. Doesn't work. Possibly in conjunction with the carpet it fails. Imagine he got his brothers soul back in a cursed wax figure then tried to put it back in its real body via the carpet...only to find that the wax person couldn't transfer its soul. Maybe cause wax doesn't conduct static or maybe because its not truly alive or something...either way it fails. Covers it up.

Finds the journal...sees a method to OPEN the gates to the afterlife and retrieve his brother's soul. See that since he is a twin he shares the soul of his brother and he needs twins for some contrived reason to pull off this spell and bring back his own other half.

Gets Mabel and Dipper to come over for the summer with the intention of using them to make certain he can get his brother back. Think of them like a map for the spell. It sees two people who are twins whose souls are linked. It sees one person who is a twin...missing his other link. Spell goes off to find and RETRIEVE the other soul so it has two pairs. Stan's tattoo has the circle full because he dreams of it finding and retrieving his brother's soul. Its an empty circle on the desk because it doesn't work...his tattoo represents the goal that someday it will not comeback empty. The spot below Stan that I didn't label? That's the empty vessel of Stan's twin brother. His brother's body is there...its the goal that is being marked for the soul to go into.

Bill Cipher though implied something horrifying happening...guess what it could be? IMO its Stan Pines slamming open the door to the afterlife and it not closing resulting in catastrophe.

This is my theory folks. I've seen some images of Dipper injured and Mabel crying and I dont know if they are real or not. If so...well then it looks like an afterlife adventure is looking more and more plausible for season 2. Have fun folks. This is what I choose to believe.

Just gonna throw out my fan theory on this.

Season 1 Spoilery fun ensues below.

We've seen some leaked images of season 2. Some stuff involving young Stan...his background. Some of the other cast...these things are gonna come up. We've also seen Stans FULL tattoo and all the cryptograms came together and they mention not to trust Stan Pines which the whole show has reinforced in us...Stan is a liar and a conman.

So why would a conman suddenly want his grand niece and nephew to come stay with him? His TWIN niece and nephew? Also what of Stan's tattoo...the tattoo they made certain was pointed out as a mystery we should think hard about in the shorts. The tattoo we saw fully revealed on the desk. This Tattoo.

nHx2kw4.jpg

Here's my theory and it involves Twins, Stan's past, and the very specific design of the tattoo and why a conman would suddenly want the kids to come stay with him.

Stan had a twin. We've seen it from teaser shots of his past. We dont know what happened to them. They had to have had a family otherwise Great Uncle Stan wouldn't be anyone's great Uncle. Leap of faith here, but I'm guessing something tragic happened to Stan's twin brother. No telling what honestly, but lets just call it "something permanent and bad".

Stan spends his whole life trying to find occult secrets to "undo" or "bring back" his twin...whichever. Talking theoreticals here so bear with the ambiguity. Makes the Mystery Shack and it makes a front perfect for hiding real occult stuff he researches. He experiments here and hides anything he can't use...like a carpet that hidden in a lost room in the Shack. A carpet labeled "experiment" that switched souls in and out of bodies.

Experiments with souls? Hidden in his house? Also remember the OTHER hidden room int he house...it had wax people who came to life. Stan has been trying to find a way to put a soul into a body. Sounds plausible at this point that the "something permanent" theory of mine may hold some truth. Something happened to his Twin's soul and he is trying to fix it.

So why the tattoo? Why the twins?

I think the tattoo is a diagram. Its instructions. The dot is FULL in Stan's tattoo...its empty in the diagram reveal on the desk.

THIS IS MY THEORY.

S5MZOM6.jpg

The books reveal how to get a soul back that is lost. Something Stan has tried to do for a long time...something he has been covering up his failed attempts at doing. Tried to get a soul back into his brother via the carpet...doesn't work if one body doesn't have a soul to swap. Covers it up.
Tries to find the secret of how the cursed wax people were brought back to life. Doesn't work. Possibly in conjunction with the carpet it fails. Imagine he got his brothers soul back in a cursed wax figure then tried to put it back in its real body via the carpet...only to find that the wax person couldn't transfer its soul. Maybe cause wax doesn't conduct static or maybe because its not truly alive or something...either way it fails. Covers it up.

Finds the journal...sees a method to OPEN the gates to the afterlife and retrieve his brother's soul. See that since he is a twin he shares the soul of his brother and he needs twins for some contrived reason to pull off this spell and bring back his own other half.

Gets Mabel and Dipper to come over for the summer with the intention of using them to make certain he can get his brother back. Think of them like a map for the spell. It sees two people who are twins whose souls are linked. It sees one person who is a twin...missing his other link. Spell goes off to find and RETRIEVE the other soul so it has two pairs. Stan's tattoo has the circle full because he dreams of it finding and retrieving his brother's soul. Its an empty circle on the desk because it doesn't work...his tattoo represents the goal that someday it will not comeback empty. The spot below Stan that I didn't label? That's the empty vessel of Stan's twin brother. His brother's body is there...its the goal that is being marked for the soul to go into.

Bill Cipher though implied something horrifying happening...guess what it could be? IMO its Stan Pines slamming open the door to the afterlife and it not closing resulting in catastrophe.

This is my theory folks. I've seen some images of Dipper injured and Mabel crying and I dont know if they are real or not. If so...well then it looks like an afterlife adventure is looking more and more plausible for season 2. Have fun folks. This is what I choose to believe.

.... you blew my mind.

ksdixon

Can anyone explain what it is that I find so damn charming about this show? Dipper is funny and Mable is just so upbeat/weird.

I was absolutely crushed when I told my 15yo sister about it and she said she didn't like it. I was hoping it would be a show we could watch together.

why are these not in US first anyways. alex hirsch plz.

The good news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLVthE4Lx0

Gravity Falls is premiering on Disney XD this Monday with English versions of the leaked shorts (or at least 4 of the 6). Will post more info as soon as received.

The bad news:

Sources are saying that this move for the show is permanent. So, if your cable provider doesn't carry Disney XD (where every cable/sat company has plain Disney Channel) you're screwed when the new episodes arrive.

I don't get it, GF-GAF. Why would they take their most popular cartoon and risk segregating their audience? Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass...

The good news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VLVthE4Lx0

Gravity Falls is premiering on Disney XD this Monday with English versions of the leaked shorts (or at least 4 of the 6). Will post more info as soon as received.

The bad news:

Sources are saying that this move for the show is permanent. So, if your cable provider doesn't carry Disney XD (where every cable/sat company has plain Disney Channel) you're screwed when the new episodes arrive.

I don't get it, GF-GAF. Why would they take their most popular cartoon and risk segregating their audience? Hope it doesn't come back to bite them in the ass...

i think some disney XD shows still show even if you don't have it. i know shows like lab rat, kickin' it still airs here.

EDIT: scratch that. 2 month delay LOL

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; they're throwing a lot of weight behind XD. Don't forget Rebels is launching there too this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Wander Over Yonder join. I think it hits around 80% of HHs with cable so it has fairly good coverage.

Still, all I can think about with XD is Tron and Motorcity...
LLShC.gif

I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; they're throwing a lot of weight behind XD. Don't forget Rebels is launching there too this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Wander Over Yonder join. I think it hits around 80% of HHs with cable so it has fairly good coverage.

Still, all I can think about with XD is Tron and Motorcity...
LLShC.gif
Wander over Yonder is moving over to Disney XD as well.

Hah, yeah, I've been searching like mad since I wrote that. Looks like only two episodes have aired thus far and they're available online and in their app. So no big deal! Still, I hope this move ends up being for the best because that's what these shows deserve.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but an English language version of the golf cart short has just been aired:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEe-F0JID3E

Thanks for posting it for everyone! I was a bit busy tonight, so it slipped my mind. I will try to update with the others as the week progresses. (The schedule will be updated on the "shorts" thread)

A bit of news here and there:

So, Alex Hirsch's info on the channel change:

oOXWDcd.png

Lastly, this piece of Season 2 production art has been making the rounds. I am leaving it unlinked to prevent unwanted spoilers:

http://i.imgur.com/KRNqD3m.png

Apparently, this piece was taken from the Press site of Disney Animation Television, where it was labeled as:

Gravity Falls Season 2 SAP #G18-202
"Scaryoke"
Wendy's Room - Night - Portal Light - Rev 1

Really interesting scene. If its a fake, then its one of the most realistic I've seen. A few tidbits to note if you do decide to explore...

Pandaduck in the right corner...so where did it come from? (Dipper, Robbie, or Wendy herself?)
The redhaired girl in the right most photo.
The crystal heart in the window against the blue light (many are saying it's the same light from Stan's portal in the season finale...)
Her bedsheets are covered with the same Pine Tree symbol as Dipper's hat...
The bedposts are actually logs (note the branch...)

What else do you guys see?

Tuck

Golf cart short was bloody brilliant. Loved the lightning bolts and that last line.

So amazing how crazy these shorts are.

EDIT: Cuckoo Clock was even better! These shorts are fucking incredible!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom