• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney just can't help itself. New Ariel cartoon.

I don’t know. I don’t view it as a big deal. You are rebooting a 30+ year old IP.

Shouldn’t the Disney characters represent every race and creed from around the globe?

Their implementation though, gets a “F”.

Don’t worry though soon enough APPLE will own Disney and all of gaming, movies, and entertainment will be set up for a massive reset. Everything will become “safe”. Apple the NBC of the 1980’s.

Assuming Apple gets thru Congress and the FTC.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
That chart nicely correlates with the acquisition of Marvel, Star Wars and the under utilized Muppets, btw.
Ok, but in that case is it not correct to interpret it as meaning the acquisitions did not serve their purpose of growing Disney's reach and appeal? The best you can argue is that they offset a strong decline in Disney's once main business of traditional animation.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
The live action little mermaid was not profitable at all. It barely broke even. It caused a lot of backlash for the company. To double down on that really makes no financial sense.
From what I understand, and correct me if this is wrong, the reason for most of these live action adaptations has always been more legal than creative. Something about Disney needing to demonstrate they were still actively developing these IP, in order for certain rights not to expire.
If that's correct, then maybe these reimaginings reflect the direction Disney believe to be most profitable for them during the next 30 year window, and not necessarily just the immediate future. Kind of like when a company attempts to relaunch a brand by changing certain elements of its identity to appeal to a new generation. Those are also not always successful in the short term, and sometimes eventually cause the company to backtrack.

Ok, but in that case is it not correct to interpret it as meaning the acquisitions did not serve their purpose of growing Disney's reach and appeal? The best you can argue is that they offset a strong decline in Disney's once main business of traditional animation.
Or, you could view it as Acquistions have carried Disney since the mid 1990’s when Steve Jobs sold Pixar to Disney. Without the acquisitions what would Disney have?!

You could also suggest that Disney itself has been creatively bankrupt since Eisner was CEO.

The growth of Disney in the 1990’s and forward was due to IP that was acquired, and the rise in their “services”, cruises and parks.

I’m not talking about Disney+ as I don’t know enough about the financials of it. I just know what read and Disney seems unhappy with it.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Angry Harrison Ford GIF

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Or, you could view it as Acquistions have carried Disney since the mid 1990’s when Steve Jobs sold Pixar to Disney. You could also suggest that Disney itself has been creatively bankrupt since Eisner was CEO.

The growth of Disney in the 1990’s and forward was due to IP that was acquired, and the rise in their “services”, cruises and parks.

I’m not talking about Disney+ as I don’t know enough about the financials of it. I just know what read and Disney seems unhappy with it.
An especially notable failure in this context is Disney's inability to grow an internal video game group consisting of their own studios. That certainly seems to support a failure of managing talent and creativity within. Disney imagineers used to be some of the most talented, creative and technically capable people on the planet, and this was still true in the 80s and early 90s when video games were taking off as a huge new market.

Edit: but at least the first decade of Eisner's presidency coincides with Disney's biggest renaissance. Does he deserve none of the credit for that?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This doesn't offend me BUT it bothers me because the designs are lazy ... ESPECIALLY for a show for kids. They look generic... The "look" is what they do for every kids animated show nowadays. There's no variety in design. Every black kid either has locs or some type of oddly shaped Afro that NO kid or adult has, they have the same chubby but not chubby appearance and are almost always looking like cherubs in the face.

They can make kids toons looking different... More variety like in Scooby Doo, the Flintstones and Popeye.

Cyberpunkd

Movie gets tons of criticism. No one wanted it. Box office flop.
Let's double down and change everyone's race now!

It's almost comical at this point. One day they say they are stopping all this nonsense then the next day...

This one going to be fun to watch sink to the bottom. Just make new characters Disney.

King Triton and Ursula

F31fS0iXgAAUv5O.jpg:large
The Little Mermaid: From da hood.

cormack12

Gold Member
Then you are misunderstanding the word flop.

And like I said, this is fair to state.

RoboFu RoboFu Some people are here to correct you about the flop because they're defending the movie. I'm here to correct you on the flop because I feel that it will help you make the strongest argument possible when pointing out the issues with this movie.

We are not the same.
62bcd121-548a-43af-9b81-da9bd242ab08_text.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What do your kids think about the remake? The original movie from your timeline still exist.
The only live action remake they sat all the way through was lion king. 🤷‍♂️

Actually liked the remake myself, but again when I hear people talk about or write about it they use the term " BLACK ARIEL " which is degrading and demeaning instead of empowering.

No one says there is Black Tinana! Black Moana! White Ass Snow White! And that is why it fails, but in DIsney's mind they are doing empowering work! or at th e very least guise of empowering work but more likely just got a list from somewhere stating minorities are not buying the toys. :messenger_dizzy:

"Box office flop"

Grossed nearly $570 million worldwide from a $240 million budget, not counting merchandise sales, and was the tenth-highest grossing film of last year.

That's not a flop, no matter how much you want it to be. Not everything has to be Frozen levels of success.
240m is just production budget. It doesn't include marketing which is another 100-150m.
Also you are only getting 50% of the box office as half of it goes to the theaters, so Disney is only getting around 285m.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The only live action remake they sat all the way through was lion king. 🤷‍♂️

Actually liked the remake myself, but again when I hear people talk about or write about it they use the term " BLACK ARIEL " which is degrading and demeaning instead of empowering.

No one says there is Black Tinana! Black Moana! White Ass Snow White! And that is why it fails, but in DIsney's mind they are doing empowering work! or at th e very least guise of empowering work but more likely just got a list from somewhere stating minorities are not buying the toys. :messenger_dizzy:

The toys are more expensive NOW than when some of us grew up. Costing over $20 in many cases. About $50 in other cases. And minority households, on average, make less than the national average overall ... Of course they aren't buying the toys as much or at all.

Just going off anecdotal evidence with my friends and some I follow on social media, they loved the new movie and adored Halle Bailey's Ariel. They didn't find it demeaning or anything.

Also .. Moana isn't black. She's supposed to be Polynesian from a non-existent island.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
At some point, even with your little liberal heart, you have to ask...why no black, asian, other...original series, characters, movies, just race swaps? I feel like it was ok in the beginning, to fast-ly include other ethnicities into their IPs. But its already going on for a fucking years, there is no excuse at this point.

Also one might be more cynical since, how much it cost Disney to cast black actor vs white anglo one, etc.?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Oh boy, wait until you all see the Warhammer 40,000 live action series when it comes out.

Hoooooo boy.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
At some point, even with your little liberal heart, you have to ask...why no black, asian, other...original series, characters, movies, just race swaps? I feel like it was ok in the beginning, to fast-ly include other ethnicities into their IPs. But its already going on for a fucking years, there is no excuse at this point.

Also one might be more cynical since, how much it cost Disney to cast black actor vs white anglo one, etc.?

Did you not see Raya and the Last Dragon? Featuring Asian/Pacific Islander characters and voice actors? That was an original story. Or what about Soul? That was original too. Oh! Or Moana with Polynesian characters? Or what about Encanto with Latino characters? Or what about Turning Red? That also had a good mix of POC characters with the focus on the Chinese immigrant family and their Chinese Canadian daughter.

Some did great! Some did so so.

You are complaining about originality and new POC characters and they MADE those...

Kilau

Gold Member
Did you not see Raya and the Last Dragon? Featuring Asian/Pacific Islander characters and voice actors? That was an original story. Or what about Soul? That was original too. Oh! Or Moana with Polynesian characters? Or what about Encanto with Latino characters? Or what about Turning Red? That also had a good mix of POC characters with the focus on the Chinese immigrant family and their Chinese Canadian daughter.

You are complaining about originality and new POC characters and they MADE those...

My guess is, we won’t get any race swaps when those “live action” remakes get churned out.

Soul: A+
Moana: A
Raya And The Last Dragon: F
Turning Red: F-

For me Disney recent efforts have been a mixed bag for me. I'm hoping a Japanese Anime Studio picks up the IP for The Little Mermaid and makes a Anime WAIFU Ariel 👀 👀 👀 👀

Last edited:
Ultimately if these moves are profitable for Disney, they will pursue them. This should only be surprising to you if you thought Disney of the past was trying to appeal to you as a matter of principle, and not because it made them lots of money.
Yeah, Disney put their capitalistic pretenses on pause a while back. Just look at the state of Marvel comics lol. You now fail upwards in that company, if you push the right message.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Disney+ just made a profit. Something Netflix has yet to do.

Go woke, go profitable? Wut.
What? Netflix's profits have been massive for a long time, what are you going on about

Disney+, buy contrast, has been fighting to barely draw anything. Even the article you linked was pessimistic; the title said "eked out surprise profit" after all, and the margin of that profit was so small that their overall streaming content business across their ventures is still in the red.

Netflix is a success story (even if it's just as stupid ideologically but that's another topic). Disney+ was launched to fanfare and high expectations on the brand but has been struggling to post any gains at all.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So much for people thinking this race swapping is going anywhere after the last couple of flops… It ain’t, not anytime soon. These companies are infested with people who WANT and like the messaging and you can’t just get rid of them. It’s like no one thought it through back when they were let in in the name of inclusion. How to get rid of them again if it doesn’t work? You can’t. Not if media is on their side. Entertainment industry is doomed.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah, Disney put their capitalistic pretenses on pause a while back. Just look at the state of Marvel comics lol. You now fail upwards in that company, if you push the right message.
Disney can believe whatever they want, ultimately the market will decide. Whichever way it goes for them, I won't be losing any sleep over it. And if there's a huge audience currently being under served, someone else will fill that gap.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

*cough* that's all after all these years. I saw Raya, yes, others no

JCK75

The left does not want to hear that an actual mermaid if it existed in the depths would be white as a sheet to absorb vitamin D from what little sunlight reaches down there, the right does not want to hear she would also be massively obese due to mammals neeing blubber to survice those depths...

Melissa McCarthy should have been Ariel instead of Ursula.

Winter John

Because you're clogging up Off Topic with dumb bullshit.

But I see, if you have kids, this kind of stuff enters your life, that's a valid excuse.

No it ain't. It ain't a valid excuse at all. My kid watches all kinds of dumb shit. I have no idea what any of it is. A few years back we were thinking about where to go for our next holiday and she said, daddy can we go to Disney? I said, lol get fucked. I ain't going to that idiot bin. If you wanna see a bunch of freaks I'll take ya up to Queens. We can watch them for free. I'll even let you ride the A train.
Anyways, my objections were duly noted and 4 months later I found myself standing in lines with a bunch of fat creeps and their ugly wives. You know what the worst thing was? I tried. I really did. I tried to adopt their mindset. Their dull eyed, bovine, unquestioning, sub moronic blind obedience to mass media and slow death consumerism. I couldn't do it. My brain wouldn't accept it. I wanted to travel and experience new sights. I wanted to experience some culture. To learn. To grow. I wanted to go to Waco.

Outlier

Where's the "Diversity"?
Even Ursula from the first movie was pale purple.

At least make all the characters a different race from each other, if they want to honestly play this dumb game.

Last edited:

Rran

Soul: A+
Moana: A
Raya And The Last Dragon:F
Turning Red: F-
I have a similar order but my rankings aren't so...swingy. Soul, Moana and Encanto are around B area, maybe B- for Moana. Raya and Turning Red are both Ds to me. I found both to be obnoxious, with muddled, bizarre messages.

Cyberpunkd

Shouldn’t the Disney characters represent every race and creed from around the globe?
No, because you cannot account for every race and origin. Disney is clearly based in the Anglo-Saxon cultural sphere. However you can try and make films that appear to particular ethnic demographic e.g. Mulan. Just don’t try to change what already exists because - surprise - it’s the cheap way to do it.
Give homegrown to other cultures by making a kick ass new IP.

Top Bottom