• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney just can't help itself. New Ariel cartoon.

No, because you cannot account for every race and origin. Disney is clearly based in the Anglo-Saxon cultural sphere. However you can try and make films that appear to particular ethnic demographic e.g. Mulan. Just don’t try to change what already exists because - surprise - it’s the cheap way to do it.
Give homegrown to other cultures by making a kick ass new IP.
I get what you’re saying, but it goes back to my saying “Disney is creatively bankrupt”. They don’t create anymore, they acquire. Outside of Pixar, but even with them…it’s been a while since a big hit. I also agree that Disney should get back to basics and tell stories and not get involved in politics, but that is a different conversation.

I get the Little Mermaid maybe meant something to you and others, but the story can change over time. Spiderman, Batman & Robin Stories have changed over the generations. Robins have changed, there are multiple Spiderman’s now, etc. So have many others. Maybe not as dramatically as changing a singular character, but it doesn’t do any harm.

If his was our biggest problem in the world, damn that would be something, huh. Ultimately though, let your wallet decide. If it offends you that much, don’t buy Disney+ or whatever it is on. Let your wallet decide. Or…let the kids decide if they like the show or not. The show isn’t for anyone here on GAF. It is for little kids. We all seem to forget that.

Not for nothing, and I am not trying to cause an argument. I am Just saying two things.

1.) Once Apple controls Disney, they will mandate nothing is offense to any race or creed. It will be homoginzed within an inch of its life. Which may be the way it needs to go to satisfy the masses. Who knows.

2.) Do you feel the public outrage about this type of stuff like Disney changing a character design, is misplaced anger about life In general? I feel someday if we are forced to use our real identity like they do in China, maybe people wouldn’t be so quick to have ”faux public outrage” if they name was John Doe instead of say WhiteWaterMoose or anyone else. Just saying.

Now, if you are upset because YOU are a STOCKHOLDER and you think this little cartoon show will upend the stock at Disney, well then that is a conversation to have. Absolutely, and there is even outlets for that Will allow you to raise concerns to Disney.

If your point is, ”This is NOT MY Disney, and I don’t like it”. Well HELL, I AGREE with you! But, I am NOT Disney’s audience any longer. Likely, you are not either!! Let the kids of today decide!!! If they don’t like it, it won’t make money. For example the Disney Marvel movies after Endgame, have not done well Financially as a whole. Star Wars has underwhelmed as well, outside of Mandalorian and Force Awakens. In today’s world, if it don’t make money, guess what. It is getting shuttered as with Microsoft studios or things will be rebooted as many times as required (See the DC Universe).

I just feel the anger is likely misplaced somehow, someway.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Disney made money on the mermaid movie.
No they didn't, especially the money they THOUGHT they would make and banked on. A live action TLA was "supposed" be a BILLION+ dollar easy win for Disney, it's like their third best film EVER. Beauty and the Beast did 1.2B. The Lion King did 1.1B. Aladdin did 1B. There was NO WAY TLA was supposed to crawl just past 0.5B. TLA should have been 1.5-2B easy, and when it tanked, along with all the other expensive flops Disney had last year, it f'd them hard. They are in crisis panic mode, no doubt. This year looks to be little better, we'll see how IO2 does.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I actually enjoyed Turning Red, but maybe that's just me.

Regardless of whether or not you believe Disney has a bright future ahead of it, this short is a nice parody and worth a watch. Stumbled upon it today and wanted to share:

Top Bottom