• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney releases Maui costume that lets kids pretend to be Polynesian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

What if every costume required a mandatory Polynesian cultural sensitivity class before purchasing?

I think some adults need a real life sensitivity test. At a time where many are trying really hard to push towards a more inclusive society, where things you are born with aren't discriminated against (gender/race/colour/etc), going after kids at Halloween just seems like such a misguided and destructive effort.

As I've said a few times allowing our children to experiment and focus on having a kids brain, with all the wonders and care free fun that brings, is a damn healthy thing to try and keep in play. Let's not try and turn our 5 year olds into political chess pieces for the adults to wage war with. As I said you only get to be a kid without the worries of adult life and the messy political scene once.

I never said I had one.

I'm sorry you guys tie characters to their skin color in order for them to be iconic.

And nice try, that skin tone isn't even close.

Whats it matter what colour the skin is? How do you make a muscle suit without skin? I just don't get what could possibly be done.

Christopher

Between this and the hair thread with Marc Jacobs people are going to say fuck it let's not bother with other cultures.

Of course no one outside of the internet actually cares about this costume...the real crime is that it's almost $50.00.

My little man is being captain America this year for a fraction of that price!

And you're basing this off of what?

There's nude fabric that can hold up. But I don't know, these are kids, that fabric would get torn in an instant.

Nude fabric doesn't take the shade of the person wearing it, it looks like tanned white skin. So your solution is essentially give the costume white skin. That would be a hell of a lot worse than what we have now.

Jonm1010

Banned
A little insensitive made worse by the horrible history behind changing skin colours/ethnicities, but I imagine this is a hard outfit to come away with a win. It'd be a pain to implement the same costume is perhaps 3 skin tones (and carries just as many other mixed messages) but at the same time one of the character's most notable features is that he's largely exposed and features tats everywhere. These "Disney costumes" have been created for a long time so it's not like they'd not make it...i guess.

I doubt your average kid wearing this bears any ill will towards Polynesian culture, just hopefully they don't grow up assuming this is okay either??? Or something.

I dunno, this is some catch-44 shit. Stick to superhero costumes, their tight spandex outfits still let you have a "ripped" body without the necessity of skin tone. :p

Lets be serious for a moment, no 7 year old is growing up basing their outlook on race issues by what they wore as a 7 year old for one Halloween night.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Whats it matter what colour the skin is? How do you make a muscle suit without skin? I just don't get what could possibly be done.

Some other people have made suggestions. Maybe you could try discussing it with them. Trying to force me to use my creative juices just seems desperate.

krang

So to summarise:

- Disney make costume with skin colour of movie character - in a unique situation where the skin is an important part of the character's appearance -people complain

But...

- If the costume had skin colour choices, people would complain
- If the costume was clear/mesh except for the tattoos, people would complain
- If there was no costume, people would complain

Sound about right?

Boem

Internet outrage culture strikes again.

I honestly don't know why this is bad. Intent matters, and this obviously isn't meant to insult anyone. White skinned bodybuilder suits (the same kind as this) have been sold for ages (and obviously in any skin color you can imagine). The character is brown, so this skin suit is brown.

Disney makes a movie with non-white lead characters, kids identify with that (after all, racism is learned, it's not something you're born with), so they'll use this to dress up as that character.

If anything, this is a good thing.

But hey, this is the internet, so only black-and-white gut feelings count. Just shouting that anything is bad limits progress in my opinion. This is totally fine. At least they're promoting characters like this - that wasn't always the case.

If this was a white skinned Thor suit (just trying to think of a muscled white character aimed at kids here), nobody would give a shit. Isn't that more fucked up than this suit existing?

kswiston

Can't tell if you're being serious? A clear tattoo muscle suit would look dumb as hell. Nobody would know what/who the hell they were trying to be.

Also, Halloween can be cold in the northern (especially north eastern) states. No one wants to wear a clear suit with some black markings over their winter coats. It would look like they are wearing one of those cheap rain jackets instead of a costume.

BowieZ

Banned
So to summarise:

- Disney make costume with skin colour of movie character - in a unique situation where the skin is an important part of the character's appearance -people complain

But...

Sound about right?
Pretty much.

Disney made the absolute right move, here. I'm sure they knew it would cause controversy though, which is also a positive.

So to summarise:

But...

Sound about right?

Pretty much, Disney is fucked no matter what.

Jonm1010

Banned
So to summarise:

But...

Sound about right?

Probably just need to stop making characters in movies that create problematic marketing tie-ins.

It's the only way to cover all these bases and prevent future issues like these.

The Beard

I tend to agree with this. So what's the solution? Just don't make ethnic character costumes? Seems even more racist.

Do you remember the outrage about the character "Maui" after he was first revealed a few months ago? "He's too big, it sends a bad message about how all Polynesian men are obese!"

Disney might regret ever making this movie. I want to see it though, I think it looks cool.

So to summarise:

But...

Sound about right?

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I see there needs to be a thread about what constitutes as outrage culture because at this point, it's being abused by people who think they have a clever way of minimizing the concerns of others.

Newsflash, you can have your gripes about something and even dislike it without participating in actual outrageous behavior. For example, see the Steven Universe accusations of queer baiting that led to an artist deleting her Twitter. THAT is outrage culture. Get it right or don't use it at all.

Boem

Darkening skin for a Halloween costume = no

It's one fucking rule, white people.

So they should only sell white skin suits, like the ones for Thor etc? What about darker skinned kids who want to wear a buff skin suit like that? Why should they be left out?

Do people really think only white people celebrate halloween, or like Disney movies?

Jonm1010

Banned

Shoulda made the skin white amirite? Maybe clear so kids are running around in only skirts in the Fall?

But the character isn't white so that would be whitewashing?

So I guess make the character white?

But the character is based on a Polynesian God?

Maybe just don't make movies about Polynesian Gods?

But then wheres the diversity?
I suppose you're joking...

Im just trying to solve this Gordian knot.

The Beard

Making a costume for a Disney character, and changing his skin from dark to white = Good?

Or

Not making costumes for this dark skin tattooed hero = Better?

So they should only sell white skin suits, like the ones for Thor etc? What about darker skinned kids who want to wear a buff skin suit like that? Why should they be left out?

Do people really think only white people celebrate halloween, or like Disney movies?

Does Disney employ any non white people?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why is skin color so taboo for some, to the extent that you cannot even acknowledge its existence without it being seen as controversial, insensitive, or even racist. Skin color is a big part of how a person or character looks, just like hair color or whatever. This character has darker skin, and so does the costume. This is such a non-issue.

Not

Banned
Seems the real racists are here...

I'm glad we can't have dark heroes celebrated according to you

Jesus Christ hanging from a misshapen breadstick.

I'm white.

White people have historically treated nonwhite people like costumes. Like animals. Like fictional characters. Like subhumans.

The vast majority of nonwhite people aren't OK with it. Look it up. Read opinions. Read historical accounts.

As a white person, when the majority of nonwhite people say they have a problem with something, I don't fucking get to say "so?"

I see there needs to be a thread about what constitutes as outrage culture because at this point, it's being abused by people who think they have a clever way of minimizing the concerns of others.

Newsflash, you can have your gripes about something and even dislike it without participating in actual outrageous behavior. For example, see the Steven Universe accusations of queer baiting that led to an artist deleting her Twitter. THAT is outrage culture. Get it right or don't use it at all.

That's not outrage but what parts of the SU fanbase are doing is just plain bullying, harassing and abusing people.

Being in the internet and acting like an expert for Polynesian culture and people and turning them into black people, so you can do that blackface accuse that is modern outrage culture, because you aren't really interested in improving or fixing the situation but you just want to feel morally superior over other people.

I'm white.

White people have historically treated nonwhite people like costumes. Like animals. Like fictional characters. Like subhumans.

The vast majority of nonwhite people aren't OK with it. Look it up. Read opinions. Read historical accounts.

As a white person, when the majority of nonwhite people say they have a problem with something, I don't fucking get to say "so?"

Do the majority of Polynesians have problem with this costume?

iPaul93

Tell me again,why are we supposed to be outraged about this costume?People these days really want to find something to be outraged about.

RMI

Banned
if it's a costume of a specific character then what is the issue exactly? I don't see how this is different than non-asians cosplaying as asian anime characters.

Lothar

Banned

I'm white.

What's your solution here? What should the costume be or should the character not be allowed to have a costume?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

I'm white.

IT'S KIDS DRESSING UP AS THEIR FAVORITE MOVIE CHARACTERS! Are they not allowed to like characters of different ethnicities from themselves? Holy shit.

I am expecting a lawsuit to come from this.

It's going to be ugly and it's also going to be glorious, sometimes you have to learn the hard way and this is one of those times.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That's not outrage but what parts of the SU fanbase are doing is just plain bullying, harassing and abusing people.

Being in the internet and acting like an expert for Polynesian culture and people and turning them into black people, so you can do that blackface accuse that is modern outrage culture, because you aren't really interested in improving or fixing the situation but you just want to feel morally superior over other people.

Outrage culture is a form of bullying. When you make people mad and they start terrorizing, that's the rage in outrage.

And now you're calling black face backlash a part of outrage culture. Nice job showing your true colors.

I don't have all the answers. It's the people who assume I do that made it seem like I was the all knowing entity. If I was Polynesian, I would have a true voice in this, but I'm not, thus why I never gave an end all be all answer.

You tried tho.

I'm white.

How on earth could you know that the majority of nonwhite people have a problem with this costume?

Acerac

Banned
Some other people have made suggestions. Maybe you could try discussing it with them. Trying to force me to use my creative juices just seems desperate.

These suggestions have seemed poorly thought out, and most people leave without discussing when they are called out on this fact.

It's harder to find solutions than find problems.

I'm white.

Disney would have been better off never making this movie, less people would be upset.

It's frustrating, but that's their only option to not offend anyone, and I think that's sad.

Outrage culture is a form of bullying. When you make people mad and they start terrorizing, that's the rage in outrage.

And now you're calling black face backlash a part of outrage culture. Nice job showing your true colors.

I don't have all the answers. It's the people who assume I do that made it seem like I was the all knowing entity. If I was Polynesian, I would have a true voice in this, but I'm not, thus why I never gave an end all be all answer.

You tried tho.

I didn't but nice trying to gag other people.

Do the majority of Polynesians have problem with this costume?

It doesn't even matter what a Polynesian thinks to people outraged. Most of the people pissed off probably have zero knowledge of Polynesian culture or its history. I'd wonder how many could even point out where that area is on a map without looking it up first. It's just a certain group of mainly whites jumping on the white guilt train and automatically claiming something is offensive without actually asking or finding out if it even offends people from that race/culture. What I find blindingly hypocritical is the same people who talk about cultural appropriation then try to control what's "appropriate".

Disney are honestly so huge and cautious with how they market things they probably checked this before ever making the costume.

Nepenthe

You...you guys realize that you can cosplay as characters of a different race without painting yourself to be that race, right? Or am I lost on some elaborate GAF joke? (Please don't fucking paint yourself to be another race.)

ce85a26d592d2ac498540c4365e488f5.jpg

In the case of this specific costume, it's like an inflatable suit, like these wrestling ones which tend to be white. I don't have an issue with it on that principle, and feel like if there would be a problem with Maui's it would already be inherent to Maui's original character design in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom