• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney threatened to pull Force Awakens from all Arclight theaters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
fRdzHAW.gif

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
[/B]

This is a matter of taste. Case in point: TFA is on AFI 2015's top 10 whilst Tarantino's flick isn't. There's also a very good chance TFA ends up with the higher RT score as well, not that I care.

There is a reason why movies are steering clear of Stars Wars for a few weeks. Apparently, Tarantino's distributors didn't get the memo... or wanted to cause trouble in order to get more attention in the media...
Tarantino/Weinstein are 'causing trouble' in this situation? What the fuck.

Is there a podcast or youtube video of the interview with Tarantino?
SiriusXM usually has trials available if you want to listen for a few days. All recent Howard Stern interviews and shows are available on demand thru the app.
Was a pretty good interview even outside of this outrage.

FoxSpirit

One way to mitigate risk is to secure distribution contracts, which is what Tarantino did.

Then Disney said 'fuck you, give us all your theaters or you get zero star wars money' and Arclight folded.

Why do people keep trying to pin this on Tarantino, as if he's to blame for what's happening to him?
Look, if you come close to a fire titan, expect to get burned.

Get fucked, Disney. WHY? If I was close by I'd go protest on opening day.

Dabanton

That sucks but I always thought QT should've just pushed this a few months to get away from Star Wars anyway.

And miss out on the awards season? Not happening. Also these two films were not even in one anothers orbit. Well until Disney pulled their little stunt.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I had no idea you were allowed to break a contract just like that. "Sorry bros, but Disney are making some demands of us, so we're just going to break our contract with you."

Contracts are generally written in a way that allows any of the two parties to break off for a reasonable penalty.

squidyj

see it's fine that Disney and Arclight do this unethical shit because I am a worthless corporate shill with no moral compass or understanding of the implications of the tacit approval of this sort of behavior.

shoreu

And miss out on the awards season? Not happening. Also these two films were not even in one anothers orbit. Well until Disney pulled their little stunt.

I hope H8 does better in spite of this. This is fucked up just because we like Star Wars doesn't make it right.

Raistlin

Yes, I'm sure only five people were interested in watching a new QT movie shot in Ultra Panavision for the first time in 50 years in an actual 70mm theater. Yep, only five. Cuz Star Wars. Nobody can't care about anything else other than Star Wars. Cuz if you do, you are weird. Certainly not the people trhat suggest lunacy of this sort. Nope, just the people that would like to see Hateful Eight. Fucking weirdos, those.

Big-E

Do people not realize that releasing on Christmas is lucretive and that January is the month movies go to die? He moves his date a week or a month he will make less money. I hope Quintin gets some good compensation for the broken contract.

Do people not realize that releasing on Christmas is lucretive and that January is the month movies go to die? He moves his date a week or a month he will make less money. I hope Quintin gets some good compensation for the broken contract.

apparently it wasn't broken. Disney always had the deal.

Edit:

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-hat...ce-awakens-arclight-theater-fight-1201668018/

However, many sources tell Deadline that Disney secured the Dome months ago to play the Force Awakens through the holidays. This was further reflected in the fact that the Dome was an option to prospective Force Awakens ticket buyers when they went on sale on Oct. 19. Apparently, Tarantino only recently learned about the booking situation and decided to voice his protest on Stern. Tarantino owns and programs the New Beverly Cinema, a renowned revival house in Los Angeles.​

there is a chance this tantrum was done for publicity for his movie or he was completely aloof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom