• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney threatened to pull Force Awakens from all Arclight theaters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One way to mitigate risk is to secure distribution contracts, which is what Tarantino did.

Then Disney said 'fuck you, give us all your theaters or you get zero star wars money' and Arclight folded.

Why do people keep trying to pin this on Tarantino, as if he's to blame for what's happening to him?

I guess once you love a thing you have to make all possible excuse for that thing regardless of it making sense or not

SeanC

Then Disney said 'fuck you, give us all your theaters or you get zero star wars money' and Arclight folded.

They haven't folded yet. I don't think they will now with all this coming out.

I won't see the movie anywhere else. I'm not going to Burbank and Citiwalk is a tourist shitfest.

The Beard

One way to mitigate risk is to secure distribution contracts, which is what Tarantino did.

Why do people keep trying to pin this on Tarantino, as if he's to blame for what's happening to him?

There hasn't been many movies worth seeing in the last couple months. It would've been a better financial decision to release TH8 a month before the biggest, most anticipated film in a long time, or a few weeks after it.

And what will Tarantino gain if it's determined his contract was unfairly broken? I'm sure his payout won't be more than what the theater would have lost by not being able to screen Star Wars at all.

I would have avoided Star Wars by more than a week just to play it safe both with my screens and potential audience.

Maybe he forgot just how big Star Wars is.

There hasn't been many movies worth seeing in the last couple months. It would've been a better financial decision to release TH8 a month before the biggest, most anticipated film in a long time, or a few weeks after it.

'A few weeks after it' torpedoes its chance at an oscar.
It's rather presumptuous it would have been ready for release a month earlier.
There have been tons of movies worth seeing in the last couple months.
And I know TFA is a hotly anticipated movie. So what? So is Hateful 8. Tarantino shot it for the dome and got a contract to show it at the Arclight and he's getting steamrolled not because TFA is 'more anticipated,' but because Disney has unstoppable business leverage on every theater chain in North America and beyond. It has nothing to do with how big or eagerly anticipated its movies are. Disney is flexing its muscles because it can.

Vice

And what will Tarantino gain if it's determined his contract was unfairly broken? I'm sure his payout won't be more than what the theater would have lost by not being able to screen Star Wars at all.

I would have avoided Star Wars by more than a week just to play it safe both with my screens and potential audience.

Maybe he forgot just how big Star Wars is.
It's counter programming. You release a film that appeals to a different audience than what the big movie out at the theater does. It has worked very well for Tarantino and many other films in the past.

This is fucked. How the hell are people not more pissed that Disney are being such dicks? Is it really just because "Star Wars?" Fuck that. Shity is shity no matter who does it.

Nerds gonna nerd. Don't fuck with their beloved precious. Everything else is shit and deserves to get steamrolled.

This fucking sucks. I've got my tickets for Christmas Day at the Dome. Don't do this Disney. One fucking screen isn't gonna make or break your fucking bank.

-griffy-

Banned
It's counter programming. You release a film that appeals to a different audience than what the big movie out at the theater does. It has worked very well for Tarantino and many other films in the past.

When a personal and important part of your film is 70mm presentation, and you are not only going up against Star Wars, but a Star Wars that also has a sequence shot on IMAX film and therefore is getting a limited 70mm rollout, AND also already has a bunch of 70mm venues (IMAX screens) locked up before you even plan your own 70mm roadshow, you may be wading into a battle you can't possibly win.

Hateful 8 will probably do fine overall, in whatever context a "fine" that a Tarantino film opening with Star Wars in theaters can do, but it may have been beneficial for the 70mm rollout for the film to have avoided the release window of Star Wars altogether. Then again, I'm sure it wasn't an option to release it earlier since the film wouldn't have been done, and it probably wasn't an option to push the release into 2016 and miss out on 2015 awards consideration. They were probably just screwed.

ABK

Banned
Star Wars comes out in two days.

The Hateful Eight comes out on Christmas. They aren't the same week.

Also, Tarantino movies are way better than Star Wars, anyway.

Somewhat clever small talk that goes nowhere is better than 3 amazing (well 2 at least) movies that changed the sci-fi game? This is why some people express such vitriol against Tarantino fans.

Oersted

Somewhat clever small talk that goes nowhere is better than 3 amazing (well 2 at least) movies that changed the sci-fi game? This is why some people express such vitriol against Tarantino fans.

While what is better or not is not relevant for the topic at hand, only Disney fucking over contracts is, Star Wars did arguably change sci-fi for the worse.

a916

Sounds like they are doing it to satiate the demand.

The only person who loses in this is Tarantino. Sorry... but most people want to go watch Star Wars.

The Beard

'A few weeks after it' torpedoes its chance at an oscar.
It's rather presumptuous it would have been ready for release a month earlier.
There have been tons of movies worth seeing in the last couple months.
And I know TFA is a hotly anticipated movie. So what? So is Hateful 8. Tarantino shot it for the dome and got a contract to show it at the Arclight and he's getting steamrolled not because TFA is 'more anticipated,' but because Disney has unstoppable business leverage on every theater chain in North America and beyond. It has nothing to do with how big or eagerly anticipated its movies are. Disney is flexing its muscles because it can.

Disney has muscles because their movies rake in tons of money for movie theaters on a yearly basis. Tarantino only releases 1 movie every 2 or 3 years, if I were him I would've avoided Star Wars/Disney like the plague.

I get your point about the Oscars though.

LOL, just noticed Howard's message to Bob Iger

During the broadcast, Stern told Tarantino that Walt Disney Company CEO Bob Iger was an avid listener. The radio host addressed an absent Iger during the show, calling out: “Listen Bob … I don’t give a shit about this theater. Quentin’s a weirdo — sorry Quentin … They’ve got the stupid 70mm – they got all that shit that he cares about. He just wants to show his goddamn movie there. You’re sitting on top of the world. You’ve got Star Wars. What, do you need this?”

Let's see if Stern has pull with Iger

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
People also need to realize that many theatre owners are at the mercy of the distributors. Piss off Disney, or piss off The Weinstein Company? I think the answer is pretty easy.

WB has the Revnant and Point Break releasing, Paramount has The Big Short and Daddy's Home, Disney has Star Wars, Universal has Sisters, FOX has Alvin! I mean that's a lot of movies and at the end of the day, it's really about weighing the pros and cons. Sucks for Tarantino but TWC really fucked up on the releasing schedule.

God, fuck off already Disney. You really need this one screen? The other 50,000 or whatever aren't enough?

I wish I was back in LA so I could watch The Hateful Eight at the Cinerama Dome. That would be glorious.

Company does something morally wrong? OUTRAGE!!

Oh wait it's Star Wars? Well <insert small movie distributer or director here> should have known better. Don't they know better than to move against my beloved DISNEY™??

Star Wars manchildren are the worst.

Sane_Man

The cinema probably wanted more money and used that as an excuse to not piss off Tarantino. Or he's talking out of his arse as usual. Or he's telling the truth and I don't give two fucks because it's Star Wars.

The cinema probably wanted more money and used that as an excuse to not piss off Tarantino. Or he's talking out of his arse as usual. Or he's telling the truth and I don't give two fucks because it's Star Wars.

There's only a certain number of seats available in a theatre. Having Tarantino's film in there wasn't going to lose them money, nor was putting Star Wars in there going to gain them money.

The only thing that was going to hurt was Disney pulling Star Wars from their theatres entirely, which is why they threatened that.

samn

Company does something morally wrong? OUTRAGE!!

Oh wait it's Star Wars? Well <insert small movie distributer or director here> should have known better. Don't they know better than to move against my beloved DISNEY™??

Star Wars manchildren are the worst.

How is it morally wrong? Companies expect a minimum order for products bought from them all the time.

Some weird posts in this thread. It's fine to admit that Mickey Mouse is a prick and still want to see Star Wars. Victim blaming and metal jumprope everywhere.

Cipherr

I don't see what the hell this has to do with ANYTHING here. He can release whenever the hell he wants, doesn't make Disney any less dicks in this situation.

Blader

Maybe it wasn't ready a month ago? All of the prep work for outfitting theaters with 70mm capable equipment and training projectionists on how to actually run it takes a lot of time too.

ghostjoke

Banned
Saw a headline about Tarantino been annoyed earlier and thought he might just be prissy about Hateful Eight getting overshadowed by Star Wars but shock Disney is being its regular ruthless and underhanded self, throwing its weight around. Hopefully it doesn't hurt Hateful Eight too bad long term. It's already had enough problems coming into being.

The Beard

I don't see what the hell this has to do with ANYTHING here. He can release whenever the hell he wants, doesn't make Disney any less dicks in this situation.

Because Star Wars is all but guaranteed to be #1 for at least 4 weeks? Also, if a theater company pisses off Disney they risk losing Marvel, Pixar, and Star Wars, which are all HUGE money makers for them. From a business standpoint, Disney is being smart, and Tarantino was a bit foolish with his release date.

But we'll find out soon enough. My prediction is TH8 will bring in $25mil opening week, while Star Wars in its 2nd week will be around $80mil.

The irony here is that Disney had probably signed a ton of paychecks for Quentin in the 90s. Most if not all his films were under Miramax.

I love both. Let the man have his theatre Disney!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I don't really know how any fan of movies sees this and doesn't think Disney is being shitty. I know people will bend over backwards to not disparage SW, but this is a corporation shitting on what is essentially cool art project. I think that woulda been a really cool screening.

phanphare

Banned
wow, that's pretty fucked up on Disney's part

they can't just be happy with their piles of cash, they need to pull some shit like this too?

Dryk

Disney put the theatre in a situation where they stand to lose money either way. Both Arclight and Tarantino are victims here.

FyreWulff

Disney likes to fuck over theaters. They sued a drive in theater for buying the rights to show their movies and then not actually showing the movie.

I've also noticed most movie chains have a rule where gift cards and free tickets cannot be used on Disney owned movies.

Jigorath

Banned
I mean, the House of Mouse is pretty ruthless. I'm not surprised theaters don't want to get on their bad side.

I feel for Tarantino, it's a shitty move.

BkMogul

Oh it's fine if there was a contract, Disney doesn't have to give them anything and they can keep honoring their contract. *Shrug* Business is business, and Disney wants their starchild to be the biggest thing ever with the most exposure. Can't blame them for strong arming a theater chain.

Opinions, how, work, they

Can't blame them? It's a straight-up bully move. TFA is going to make MAJOR bank regardless.

cruets

Dick move from Disney. They already have every theatre. Quintin just wanted one Fucking theatre and he had it under contract. No need for Disney to come strong arm him by threatening arc light.

Cinerama Dome is the best theatre I ever saw a movie in. Totally understand why Quintin is Pissed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
There is no defense in supporting Disney's action, they are strong arming a cinema to break their contract just to push their meh movie, which let's face it will do just fine.

Why would anyone want to release a movie, the week a Star Wars movie is coming though. Not to mention a long awaited movie.

For people like me who don't want to watch Star Wars.

FStop7

Banned

This isn't a typical cinema, it's very well known in LA and the operators have a lot of close ties to the industry.

jman2050

They haven't folded yet. I don't think they will now with all this coming out.

Won't they? I mean, Disney has a pretty extensive history of strongarming theaters to get what they want, and they succeed because of how devastating any Disney pullout would be. They have all the power in these type of situations, they know it, they abuse it, and they seem to not give two shits whether everyone else is aware because why should they?

It really does sucks that Disney is capable of doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom