• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney threatened to pull Force Awakens from all Arclight theaters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Somewhat clever small talk that goes nowhere is better than 3 amazing (well 2 at least) movies that changed the movie game?

Fixed. Star Wars changed moviemaking forever. Tarantino has been very influential, but obviously not on the level of Star Wars.

Also it's not sci-fi.

The Weinstein Company need to admit defeat, push the release back to late January and give up on the 70mm 'roadshow' idea which is already a disaster.
No, the only right answer here is for Disney to not have screwed over someone who had an existing contract with the theater

Dabanton

I'm sickened some people are gleeful of such tactics. Say what you will of Tarantino but this is some disgraceful behaviour from Disney.

Any of this officially confirmed? Anyone from either side (Disney/Arclight) speak up on the matter? I have my tickets for the dome and haven't received an email yet from Arclight on any potential cancellation. Eventually someone gotta say something soon, right? Can't let this shit simmer for too long.

not everyone is interested in star wars? i'd rather go see hateful eight

That's cool for you, but this is cash in time for theatres. All the Ones near me are showing nothing but SW until next week and can't guarantee new releases will be shown for next week either with it being Xmas day and probably even more demand thilan this Friday.
QT probably thought he was giving cinema goers a refreshing alternative to SW, but business is business and Theatres have a had a shitty few months.

jett

D-Member
A complete asshole move from Disney. Too bad there's little Tarantino will be able to do against their might.

One way to mitigate risk is to secure distribution contracts, which is what Tarantino did.

Then Disney said 'fuck you, give us all your theaters or you get zero star wars money' and Arclight folded.

Why do people keep trying to pin this on Tarantino, as if he's to blame for what's happening to him?

Because Star Wars fanboys are fucking insane? I have my tix for tomorrow and some of these people are actively diminishing my hype for the movie.

Reel in the crazy.

Any of this officially confirmed? Anyone from either side (Disney/Arclight) speak up on the matter? I have my tickets for the dome and haven't received an email yet from Arclight on any potential cancellation. Eventually someone gotta say something soon, right? Can't let this shit simmer for too long.

As of right now you can't buy tickets for Hateful 8 at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood. Every available slot is taken by TFA. I have no idea what Arclight is going to do for people who bought tickets at a presale.
blvf5RV.png

jett

D-Member
Refund them all 5 of them, i guess.

Yes, I'm sure only five people were interested in watching a new QT movie shot in Ultra Panavision for the first time in 50 years in an actual 70mm theater. Yep, only five. Cuz Star Wars. Nobody can't care about anything else other than Star Wars. Cuz if you do, you are weird. Certainly not the people trhat suggest lunacy of this sort. Nope, just the people that would like to see Hateful Eight. Fucking weirdos, those.

Morts

My biggest takeaway from this thread is that The Hateful Eight is three hours and seven minutes long. I mean holy shit, I'm not sure I can sit still that long.

Saya

Goddamn, Disney can't do wrong on GAF.

I wish I could catch it in cinemas, not sure if it will ever be released here.

Dai101

Banned
Yes, I'm sure only five people were interested in watching a new QT movie shot in Ultra Panavision for the first time in 50 years in an actual 70mm theater. Yep, only five. Cuz Star Wars. Nobody can't care about anything else other than Star Wars. Cuz if you do, you are weird. Certainly not the people trhat suggest lunacy of this sort. Nope, just the people that would like to see Hateful Eight. Fucking weirdos, those.

OK. 6 people then, and i'm being generous.

Gonzalez

Banned
Shut up weirdo!

Now check out my "What if Chewie had a perm?", or "Should Leia have chosen Luke instead of Han?" threads.

Dr.Acula

Banned
My biggest takeaway from this thread is that The Hateful Eight is three hours and seven minutes long. I mean holy shit, I'm not sure I can sit still that long.

If you include the hour of commercials in front of Star Wars you'll get close.

(I know it isn't literally an hour)

And Hateful Eight has a 12 minute intermission.

Spasm

Isn't this antitrust? Sounds similar to what Nintendo got busted for doing to Sega; Threatening to remove Nintendo products from stores that also gave shelf space to Sega products.

If you include the hour of commercials in front of Star Wars you'll get close.

(I know it isn't literally an hour)

Depends on the theater, but the Arclight in particular makes it a point not to show more than 5 minutes of anything before the movie starts. You get 3 trailers, no ads, and the movie starts. That's why the Arclight is fantastic.

But yeah, go see this at a Cinemark/Edwards/AMC and you'll get the full 30 minutes of bullshit before your movie starts rolling.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhat clever small talk that goes nowhere is better than 3 amazing (well 2 at least) movies that changed the sci-fi game? This is why some people express such vitriol against Tarantino fans.

Now, I'm not a big Tarantino fan (enjoyed some of his work). Also not a big SW fan (will be seeing TFA tho). But yeah, the SW movies aren't that good. I've seen them recently for the first time ever and: horrible acting, terrible dialogue, weird characters, okay story, poor pacing etc. Did SW change the game? Sure, no denying that. But as far as quality goes, SW movies (talking about the OT, didn't see the prequels) are not good. Certainly not on the level of Tarantino movies which are very well crafted. SW was very influential, a giant blockbuster and possibly the biggest franchise ever(?).

That being said, shitty move from Disney. Tarantino just has some bad luck with this movie in particular, first the whole script thing and now this. Critically it seems to be doing good, hope it does well financially.

Cipherr

Goddamn, Disney can't do wrong on GAF.

Yeah this shit is weird. I'm a huge MCU fan and love what Disney is doing there. But they are assholes for this. I don't understand the people defending it, or making wisecracks about how "no one" wants to see the film. Really fucking corny.

What is with star wars fans become insufferable already? No one can possibly enjoy anyhing else for the next few weeks! You'd rather watch something other than star wars? Us lemmings say no!

Ok. So I just got off the phone with the ArcLight in Hollywood and I'm now a little confused about this whole thing.

So I went through the hateful eight website to get my tickets which redirected me to the Arclight site. The Arclight employee told me that the tickets that I got are for another room and not the dome. It is still going to be the 70mm roadshow showing as it'll be showing in their largest screen.

However, it will not be showing in the dome. So now I'm wandering if it was even going to show in the dome to begin with if the tickets I got where for another room at the ArcLight.

Or did it get moved from the dome into this other large screen room?

Maddocks

The mouse can't be bargained with, He is right to be pissed, this is why we have contracts, for things like this and if people are just going to break them, why have them in the first place. Disney is def in the wrong here, even if they do have the biggest movie of the year.

Permanently A

Ok. So I just got off the phone with the ArcLight in Hollywood and I'm now a little confused about this whole thing.

So I went through the hateful eight website to get my tickets which redirected me to the Arclight site. The Arclight employee told me that the tickets that I got are for another room and not the dome. It is still going to be the 70mm roadshow showing as it'll be showing in their largest screen.

However, it will not be showing in the dome. So now I'm wandering if it was even going to show in the dome to begin with if the tickets I got where for another room at the ArcLight.

Or did it get moved from the dome into this other large screen room?

Quentin seems pretty adamant and nostalgic about the dome in the Stern interview so I imagine it was originally supposed to be shown at the dome.

Star Wars comes out in two days.

The Hateful Eight comes out on Christmas. They aren't the same week.

Also, Tarantino movies are way better than Star Wars, anyway.

This is a matter of taste. Case in point: TFA is on AFI 2015's top 10 whilst Tarantino's flick isn't. There's also a very good chance TFA ends up with the higher RT score as well, not that I care.

There is a reason why movies are steering clear of Stars Wars for a few weeks. Apparently, Tarantino's distributors didn't get the memo... or wanted to cause trouble in order to get more attention in the media...

diunxx

Can't believe there are people that think the Star Wars movies are better than Tarantino's that has to be a new fanboy low.

Wanderer5

What a crappy move, but well it Disney, a force of nature in the movie world heh. Couldn't something be done if a contract was broken through?

Also lol at people saying that there shouldn't be new movies released soon after Star Wars, how hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom