• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity Original Sin 2 review thread

Santiako

I bought a ~$550 laptop a few weeks ago mostly for work, it has 8gb ram, i5, 960m (i think thats the right one), and it runs fine on low settings.

Crank all the settings up. I'm running the game at 40-60 fps with most stuff on ultra with those same specs.

StereoVsn

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/15/16316126/divinity-original-sin-2-review

This review is a joke lmao
"DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2 IS STUNNINGLY AMBITIOUS BUT FAILS TO PULL ALL ITS PIECES TOGETHER" !?!?!?!
Basically the issue is that the reviewer found the game too open ended. She complained that it's too dense so it's time consuming to find everything it has to offer. She complained that it's too open so she could accideny kill quest NPCs and so on.

So basically the biggest strengths of the game is an issue to the reviewer. It's a bit of a BS.

Basically the issue is that the reviewer found the game too open ended. She complained that it's too dense so it's time consuming to find everything it has to offer. She complained that it's too open so she could accideny kill quest NPCs and so on.

So basically the biggest strengths of the game is an issue to the reviewer. It's a bit of a BS.

I mean it's a valid criticism. Not everyone has the same tastes and the same barometer for gauging such and such. It would be an issue if the majority of reviewers on the Internet were of this same opinion though. But they're not, so it's fine. It's also good to read opinions that differ from the rest, if only to make us formulate arguments as to why these opinions don't hold up.

daxy

I mean it's a valid criticism. Not everyone has the same tastes and the same barometer for gauging such and such. It would be an issue if the majority of reviewers on the Internet were of this same opinion though. But they're not, so it's fine. It's also good to read opinions that differ from the rest, if only to make us formulate arguments as to why these opinions don't hold up.

This type of gameplay is a staple of the RPG genre. Why hand the game off to somebody who does not know RPGs, doesn't understand them, and isn't able to contrast and compare to the rest of the genre in order to address where DOS2 fits in terms of gameplay and quality.

It's like somebody complaining that they don't like how many guns you can carry in DOOM because they only care about two of them, and that if the game was balanced around two guns they'd always have ammo for them and wouldn't ever have to switch.

I do agree that reading differing opinions is healthy. It'd be nice if it would drive the discussion further than fundamental game mechanics though.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/15/16316126/divinity-original-sin-2-review

This review is a joke lmao
"DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2 IS STUNNINGLY AMBITIOUS BUT FAILS TO PULL ALL ITS PIECES TOGETHER" !?!?!?!

The score fits the experience she describes. It's too bad but it sounds like DOS2 didn't end up holding true to its initial promise. It sounds like it just didn't follow through on its systems driven gameplay from her end, that quests would break or inventive but reasonable player solutions would produce no result too often.

BashNasty

I guess no one actually read the review where she talks about all the game breaking bugs she encountered?

Yea, people should put away the predictable pitchforks. I read through the review, and she justifies the score she gives based on her experiences with the game. I personally don't agree with the score, but it's her opinion, and she explains it well.

Stygr

Banned
I guess no one actually read the review where she talks about all the game breaking bugs she encountered?

I finished the game yesterday, a couple of bugs, but not game breaking.
Also, Larian released a big patch a couple of days ago.
Also it took 29 days to review the game even if she had access to the game early?

Ryzaki009

Yea, people should put away the predictable pitchforks. I read through the review, and she justifies the score she gives based on her experiences with the game. I personally don't agree with the score, but it's her opinion, and she explains it well.

This. I don't agree with her score but that's just because a lot of the bugs of act 4 didn't bother me that much.

BashNasty

I finished the game yesterday, a couple of bugs, but not game breaking.
Also, Larian released a big patch a couple of days ago.
Also it took 29 days to review the game even if she had access to the game early?

Just because you didn't run into any large bugs during your play through doesn't mean other people won't.

The fact that it took her so long to review the game is no reason do discredit the review. You'll notice that it's essentially a two part review, she wrote early impressions, then came back upon finishing the game to finalize the review. Not everyone can or needs to review a game at the same pace, and I'd rather get well-considered opinions, even if they take longer for someone to form.

ASIS

I came in expecting ok to good reviews. I have no clue about the Divinity franchise.

Suffice to say I'm intrigued. These scores and reviews are pretty glowing.

Comes to consoles later like the first one I think. Post your specs and people should be able to help guide you.
To those who have played the game, which is better, the first one or this? I'm really, really tempted to jump in.

Stygr

Banned
Just because you didn't run into any large bugs during your play through doesn't mean other people won't.

The fact that it took her so long to review the game is no reason do discredit the review. You'll notice that it's essentially a two part review, she wrote early impressions, then came back upon finishing the game to finalize the review. Not everyone can or needs to review a game at the same pace, and I'd rather get well-considered opinions, even if they take longer for someone to form.

Not only me. The average score is 9, 9 across over 30+ reviews and i didnt read those "game breaking bugs". She is the only one with a 7.

In your opinion, she's right and the others wrong? Come on.

Hindl

Not only me. The average score is 9, 9 across over 30+ reviews and i didnt read those "game breaking bugs". She is the only one with a 7.

No she's entitled to her own opinion. Through her playthrough, she had bugs and other problems that warranted a 7 from her. Are you saying she should've ignored her own experience and given it a higher score because others didn't have the same problems as her? Because that's what it sounds like

BTA

Seriously. Not everyone can play a 90 hour game in a few weeks. Particularly when you’re a freelancer who literally can’t exactly afford to drop everything for a single review.

Also, as a note, Polygon’s scores are decided by the reviewer + some editors based on the text of the review. Similarly headlines/titles are usually decided by editors and not writers. So please do think through exactly who you’re angry at a bit more.

Stygr

Banned
No she's entitled to her own opinion. Through her playthrough, she had bugs and other problems that warranted a 7 from her. Are you saying she should've ignored her own experience and given it a higher score because others didn't have the same problems as her? Because that's what it sounds like

Yes, don't put games in incompetent hands or give them to people with no knowledge of specific games, series or genres.
Giving 7 to one of the best RPG in the market right now is a sign of incompetence, ignoring all the good stuff and crying about those **game breaking bugs**

Skyrim was universally acclaimed with a 96 mc and we allo know, critics and users, the game suffered from several game breaking bugs, glitch, lost saves and shit like this, but ehy, let's give high scores and ignore all the real problems of the game.

Her experience with bugs you keep focusing on are really only in reference to the quest journal. It is probably the part of the game in most need of revision so it is understandable it led to a great deal of frustration and apathy. I had a similar experience to hers with the quest journal and it led to a similar feeling of apathy toward what was happening in the game by the end of act 2.

BTA

Yes, don't put games in incompetent hands or give them to people with no knowledge of specific games, series or genres.
Giving 7 to one of the best RPG in the market right now is a sign of incompetence, ignoring all the good stuff and crying about those **game breaking bugs**

Skyrim was universally acclaimed with a 96 mc and we allo know, critics and users, the game suffered from several game breaking bugs, glitch, lost saves and shit like these, but ehy, let's give high scores and ignore all the real problems of the game.

No one is right. Reviews are not about being right. Anyone who tells you otherwise should not be reviewing a game.

Reviews reflect the writer’s time with a game and that’s about it. That’s what they’re there for. Having a different experience is not incompetence - particularly as she spent 90 hours playing the game and at no point in the review describes bumbling through it - it’s literally just having a different experience.

Your goal should be to find writers whose taste align with yours (Janine’s actually such a writer for me, so I appreciate her getting games like these to review), or don’t, and make judgements based on that. Not to get extremely worked up over whether someone thought a game was pretty good with bugs or very good.

BashNasty

Nope, and never once did I state anything like that, in fact I stated the opposite, I personally don't agree with her opinion. In my opinion, she has a right to her opinion and others have a right to theirs, simple as that.

No one is right. Reviews are not about being right. Anyone who tells you otherwise should not be reviewing a game.

Reviews reflect the writer's time with a game and that's about it. That's what they're there for. Having a different experience is not incompetence - particularly as she spent 90 hours playing the game and at no point in the review describes bumbling through it - it's literally just having a different experience.

Yep. It's immensely frustrating that people in review threads here just cannot seem to get that through their heads. A well reviewed game gets a relatively low score from a publication and people dog pile it every single time. What's worse is that these attacks almost always take the form of attacking the outlet or the reviewer. "Lolygon" and "the reviewer must be incompetent at RPGs" are not good arguments, they serve only to undermine the people writing them.

Kade

I really don't understand the animosity, especially when considering that the outlet that gave the game its current worst review reserves the score for games they consider "good games that may even have some great parts".

People are getting upset over it being called a good game.

To those who have played the game, which is better, the first one or this? I'm really, really tempted to jump in.

Only about 20 hours in, but this. First one was a great game, but this one improves on the lackluster, corny writing of the first. I'm more involved by the story thus far. It also just generally plays better, I think.

There's absolutely no necessity to have played the first to enjoy anything about the second, too. So if you have the opportunity, totally play 2.

Lanrutcon

Opinions are opinions.

I'm just unhappy they gave boring as shoeleather PoE a 9 in comparison.

*shakes fist angrily*

ASIS

Only about 20 hours in, but this. First one was a great game, but this one improves on the lackluster, corny writing of the first. I'm more involved by the story thus far. It also just generally plays better, I think.

There's absolutely no necessity to have played the first to enjoy anything about the second, too. So if you have the opportunity, totally play 2.

Thank you!

RedFox85

Skyrim was universally acclaimed with a 96 mc and we allo know, critics and users, the game suffered from several game breaking bugs, glitch, lost saves and shit like this, but ehy, let's give high scores and ignore all the real problems of the game.

You are way too hung up on the numerical value assigned to her review and not the review itself, almost as if you saw the score dismissed her opinion and then read the review (or didn't) with that mindset. The bugs that particular player ran into hampered the number score, the text of the review however gave the game tons of praise where praise is due. Put down the pitchforks!

You are way too hung up on the numerical value assigned to her review and not the review itself, almost as if you saw the score dismissed her opinion and then read the review (or didn't) with that mindset. The bugs that particular player ran into hampered the number score, the text of the review however gave the game tons of praise where praise is due. Put down the pitchforks!

It's Polygon, the same publication that gave TLOU and Witcher 3 scores well below the Meta average.

They are click-bait and pretty unreliable in many ways.

I couldn't care less what they think of anything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
hi, if you get mad about the metacritic dropping a point because you disagree with a review you a) are probably going to end up getting banned for fanboy crap and b) have no life

Aeana

Man, if I ever see any of you acting like you're somehow better than console gamers ever again... You're behaving just like the people in the infamous Uncharted 3 review thread just because someone liked a game a little less than you.

Grow the hell up; your opinion isn't any more right than this reviewer's.

Renekton

FWIW I experienced several game-breakers - such as the
Academy
escape which froze turn transitions requiring reload to much earlier save.

Review from the greek site Ragequit.gr in english:

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an impressive RPG that offers tens or even hundreds of hours of quality role-playing. It is fun, tactical, deep, well-written and almost endlessly replayable. Since I started playing the game it literally took over my life as I couldn't put it down even after two playthroughs. It is that fun, that well-made and that reactive to your choices and play style.

95% score.

http://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/divinity-original-sin-2-english-pc-review

Enjoying this game so far.

The quest log shit drives me absolutely bonkers. The ability to accidentally break a quest is super annoying too.

Otherwise the only thing I can't stand atm is the camera. Just awful. So many instances where I have to constantly fidgit with the view to see what I need to.

The combat/status effect system I find slightly annoying. I've only just finished Act 1 so maybe it levels out, but currently by the time I lower armor or magic armor, I hardly need status effects anymore cause the enemy will be dead before it really matters and all their big cool downs are already used anyways.

I also find I have to choose armor vs magic armor to bring down, making me split my dps all the time cause it's often a waste to bother bringing down both unless it's a "boss" type fight. There are so many times I have enemies who have either no Phys or Magic armor left, then I have to skip turns on anyone who doesn't have the appropriate damage type because the enemy will die before I bring their fuller armor type down anyways.

Game still hasn't reached anywhere near DA:Origins levels for me, gameplay, story, or character wise, but it's a solid RPG for sure.

kromeo

I can't explain why but I kind of lost interest at the end of the first act and haven't started it up again since. It's weird because I loved the first game and spent close to 100 hours on it

Top Bottom