• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Is there a trick to get some gold? Some crafting tips? I'm always gold starved.

I found the Teller of Secrets when I was around level 10 or 11. For every level up he has 2 skillbooks which cost 15k total. That's pretty much, I need also gold for other stuff.
So I need probably 25-30k for every level.

Can't even afford to buy his secret maps.

Just steal a lot. I had like 300k gold at the end with nothing to spend it on. Paintings, gold plates, gold cups, they all add up quickly.

The lack of objective-markers has a great effect on exploration. Keep making my way to a sidequest location and ending up walking off on some path or other

Unfortunately a lot of the paths are blocked by mobs I can't deal with yet :(

Finalow

how can I use skills with less AP? By improving the ability that makes you use that skill? That should help at using more than one each turn.

ViviOggi

I've only killed one NPC and I reloaded it

that woman did not take kindly to me digging up her daughter's corpse
I fled the battle just to find Murphy the dog murdering her. Had to reload when the skellington from another grave oneshot him though, can't let the dog die.

Torraz

Is there anything you can do with items (such as uniques) that you dont need, besides selling them? Found a unique sword, but have no one to use it.

You can't reduce the ap cost of skills below their base (normal) cost. If you want to use more skills per turn invest in Speed, use skills like Wildfire and Fast Track that temporarily increase your AP regen, or get Glass Cannon or Lone Wolf traits.

Ploid 3.0

easy lighthouse boss
-
invulnerability seems pretty broken.

anyone? :<

The only way I know of is for high level abilities/spells, they will let you know on the tool tip that you can spend less AP on it if you increase the skill level a bit more. The thing you may want is to increase your speed attribute. That will give you more AP per turn and such, increase perception to get more AP slots iirc. Glass cannon trait give you double AP per turn an it's very noticable. I love it.

Speed!!!

I beat the main boss of the Cyseal area and came across this
'chest of the souce king' with a purple, translucent, magical looking lock on it. Don't have a key and bashing doesn't help. Any tips on how I can open it?

Also can I just say the ability to actually pick up chests and take them along with you in your inventory is simple yet brilliant. Can't remember the last game I played that let you do that. Definitely not any modern RPG I've played.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the main boss of the Cyseal area and came across this
'chest of the souce king' with a purple, translucent, magical looking lock on it. Don't have a key and bashing doesn't help. Any tips on how I can open it?

Also can I just say the ability to actually pick up chests and take them along with you in your inventory is simple yet brilliant. Can't remember the last game I played that let you do that. Definitely not any modern RPG I've played.

You can also send items in your inventory directly to the homestead for additional storage (Right click to open the menu).

Answer:
I believe you need a Unlock scroll/spell.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You can also send items in your inventory directly to the homestead for additional storage (Right click to open the menu).

Answer:

You don't have to use the scroll but.

By the time you actually get the key for it, the items are worthless.

KLonso

So just started playing this game, knowing very little about it, and I'm already overwhelmed. Does each NPC actually have something to say on every single matter? I'm usually the type of guy to read every NPC conversation, but am I better off just skipping most of it for now? It'll take ages to talk to everyone.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
You don't have to use the scroll but.

By the time you actually get the key for it, the items are worthless.

Shhh, I just forgot about the chest. Haha. I think it's still in storage.

So just started playing this game, knowing very little about it, and I'm already overwhelmed. Does each NPC actually have something to say on every single matter? I'm usually the type of guy to read every NPC conversation, but am I better off just skipping most of it for now? It'll take ages to talk to everyone.

Generally, the named NPCs will move the story along by giving hints or be the person that you need to interact with in a certain way. Most of the other NPCs are just to add color to the world. But a quest can mention that you need to interact with them.

Finalow

The only way I know of is for high level abilities/spells, they will let you know on the tool tip that you can spend less AP on it if you increase the skill level a bit more. The thing you may want is to increase your speed attribute. That will give you more AP per turn and such, increase perception to get more AP slots iirc. Glass cannon trait give you double AP per turn an it's very noticable. I love it.
Speed!!!
You can't reduce the ap cost of skills below their base (normal) cost. If you want to use more skills per turn invest in Speed, use skills like Wildfire and Fast Track that temporarily increase your AP regen, or get Glass Cannon or Lone Wolf traits.
I see, guess I'll invest more in speed and take glass cannon for at least one ranged character.

Watch out with this though, while it's not obvious at first since the chest expands as it fills, it has in fact a limit and once it's full, any item you send is basically deleted. I luckily noticed right after I sent my +skill books and couldn't find them when I went to check, I had been sending everything to homestead to make room and stuff but you need to go empty it every now and then. Probably lost a bunch of random crap too I'm not 100% sure what was lost but yeah need to watch out for that.

On AP, nothing comes close to Glass Canon, it's a game changer, it's double your turn AP which generally means you get your max AP every turn after the first(starting AP is still awful though). You do lose a lot of health in the process though obviously so works best for ranged chars and rogues but I'd say with vitality trait you'd probably be fine even on a warrior with it and the massive AP boosts helps survivability by killing stuff before it even hits you, which is the best way to survive ^^.

Answer:

I really need to look into crafting scrolls. I've never seen an unlock book or scroll yet. Thanks for the tip though.

This isn't a game you play to rush to the finish though. Let it take ages to talk to people. Paying attention to what they say can help you later on in quests.

Unlock scrolls might still be craftable not sure but it's RNG based if they are, they're otherwise very rare but are static spawns and you get one fairly early in the game
I think it was in Ahru's room in Cyseal but not 100% sure been a while

I bought a treasure map that has marked an area as a
hidden mound
but there's nothing there. There's a well hidden chest in an alclove nearby, but I don't think that's what the map alluded to

Just like Raheem Sterling, you need high enough perception.

If I could have 2 male main characters who you could edit more thoroughly, I'd totally have a Raheezus and Django duo

I'd complete the game within 2 hours, swiping enemies aside like North London teams at Anfield

Finalow

Just steal a lot. I had like 300k gold at the end with nothing to spend it on. Paintings, gold plates, gold cups, they all add up quickly.
well, not sure if you get more valuable objects that you can steal later in the game but after cleaning the first town you get at max 20k, which isn't a lot if you start buying decent skills.

Ourobolus

Banned
I bought a treasure map that has marked an area as a
hidden mound
but there's nothing there. There's a well hidden chest in an alclove nearby, but I don't think that's what the map alluded to
You should still be able to dig in that spot and find it whether or not you can perceive the mound.

duckroll

How does Dungeon Siege 3 compare to Divinity? I hear it's worse, but why? What does it do differently?

Everything? I don't see how it's comparable at all. Dungeon Siege 3 is an action RPG which supports up to 4 players and you pick fixed classes and just beat enemies up for loot while progressing in a largely linear action adventure campaign.

SRG01

well, not sure if you get more valuable objects that you can steal later in the game but after cleaning the first town you get at max 20k, which isn't a lot if you start buying decent skills.

I made it past the first town barely buying anything. Also, items shouldn't be sold but rather kept so the barter skill can be used effectively when it's higher.

Also, picking up every enemy drop helps as well.

Charm arrows seems kind of pointless to me since you get a charm shot ability.

Also, I started a game with a bow ranger. In the early level's he was kind of a support character, mostly for crowd control, stunning, charming, etc, and my melee characters (Madora with the 2 hander and sword and shield paladin type for my other char) were doing most of the damage.

But now that I'm on level 16, he's a death dealing machine. Quickdraw allows him to fire every 3 AP, which means I can get off 3 shots every turn, 30% crit rating means he's hitting for crit damage all the time, and with the bully talent, my two melee characters now just ram charge and knock people down and he follows up with the killing blow. With the Oath of Desecration buff often he gets multiple kills with an Ricochet attack alone.

Charm arrows are totally worth it because your alternate characters don't have to spend X points in marksman to remove the penalty.

Watch out with this though, while it's not obvious at first since the chest expands as it fills, it has in fact a limit and once it's full, any item you send is basically deleted. I luckily noticed right after I sent my +skill books and couldn't find them when I went to check, I had been sending everything to homestead to make room and stuff but you need to go empty it every now and then. Probably lost a bunch of random crap too I'm not 100% sure what was lost but yeah need to watch out for that.
In my experience, the extra stuff still gets put in the chest, but you aren't able to see it in the chest ui since that will only expand to so many rows. If you take everything out, you'll get all your items back, even the ones that weren't visible in the chest.

At an impasse, don't know where to go

Dead ends in the main quest, enemies outside my level blocking areas I haven't explored :(

Orcs on the beach
Dogs by the river
Bomb guys at the church
Burning guys near the church
Locked gates by well

Maybe I can get past the undead guys and zombie dog guarding a hatch just outside Cryseal, don't know where to go aside from that though :(

At an impasse, don't know where to go

Dead ends in the main quest, enemies outside my level blocking areas I haven't explored :(

Orcs on the beach
Dogs by the river
Bomb guys at the church
Burning guys near the church
Locked gates by well

Maybe I can get past the undead guys and zombie dog guarding a hatch just outside Cryseal, don't know where to go aside from that though :(

There are a bunch of quests inside Cyseal town itself that will help you level up. You should be able to get to level 4 or 5 and then head out of the west gate. You could also consider lowering the difficulty if you're playing at the default normal.

As others have said, there are non-combat things to pursue in Cyseal that will help you to level up once or twice, and there are lower-level combat encounters to pursue as well. The first few battles near Cyseal can be very rough while you are still learning about the combat system and interactions, but rest assured that you will always have a viable path to take - both in- and out-of-combat.

If you're itching for battle, you can probably find some grave enemies to battle in Cyseal itself, provided you know where to look.

One tip, don't let anything stand between a Source Hunter and the evil Sourcerers they seek! They follow a greater calling, and petty issues can easily be overlooked in the greater pursuit of justice.

Torraz

Early-game is there anything more overpowered than creating a gigantic puddle of oil with several casters and seeting it on fire? This seems to easily win most of my battles. Start with one puddle, set it on fire, and then enlarge.

I am now level 5.x. It feels like I have plundered the entire city, and sold all enemy drops I do not need as ingredients or my own equipment, and I have run out of money to buy skills. (I use a character with 2 barter to do trades). Any ways I can acquire more money?

Dipper145

Early-game is there anything more overpowered than creating a gigantic puddle of oil with several casters and seeting it on fire? This seems to easily win most of my battles. Start with one puddle, set it on fire, and then enlarge.

I am now level 5.x. It feels like I have plundered the entire city, and sold all enemy drops I do not need as ingredients or my own equipment, and I have run out of money to buy skills. (I use a character with 2 barter to do trades). Any ways I can acquire more money?

Even the paintings? You should have plenty of money if you actually get all those.

Brakke

Banned
As others have said, there are non-combat things to pursue in Cyseal that will help you to level up once or twice, and there are lower-level combat encounters to pursue as well. The first few battles near Cyseal can be very rough while you are still learning about the combat system and interactions, but rest assured that you will always have a viable path to take - both in- and out-of-combat.

If you're itching for battle, you can probably find some grave enemies to battle in Cyseal itself, provided you know where to look.

One tip, don't let anything stand between a Source Hunter and the evil Sourcerers they seek! They follow a greater calling, and petty issues can easily be overlooked in the greater pursuit of justice.

Lol these tips are so vague I don't even have a clue what you're talking about and played up through the Rex twice.

WTF "justice"? How is "anything" a tip?

Carcetti

If that's a way of saying 'steal everything that isn't bolted down and sell it to buy skills' I heartily agree.

All of my Cyseal quests have hit dead ends though, and I'm still only level 4. Gonna have to consult an FAQ probably :(

How come my two mains have different amounts of XP btw, I thought they shared XP? Unless one of them was dead at the end of a battle so didn't get as much XP. Hope there's a spell or something for resurrection, blew through 3 of my scrolls after the
lighthouse battle

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I really need to look into crafting scrolls. I've never seen an unlock book or scroll yet. Thanks for the tip though.

This isn't a game you play to rush to the finish though. Let it take ages to talk to people. Paying attention to what they say can help you later on in quests.

There is a link to the crafting combinations below the OT if you are interested. :)

All of my Cyseal quests have hit dead ends though, and I'm still only level 4. Gonna have to consult an FAQ probably :(

How come my two mains have different amounts of XP btw, I thought they shared XP? Unless one of them was dead at the end of a battle so didn't get as much XP. Hope there's a spell or something for resurrection, blew through 3 of my scrolls after the
lighthouse battle

You probably killed an enemy while someone was dead.

There is indeed a resurrect spell, but it requires you to be level 16.

Chaos17

lighthouse battle

Get the captain guard quests and go west of Cyseal.
Mobs will be level 3.
Follow the mobs levels if you don't know where to go, the story kinda follow them.
The progression of the game is like an mmorpg.

Get the captain guard quests and go west of Cyseal.
Mobs will be level 3.
Follow the mobs levels if you don't know where to go, the story kinda follow them.
The progression of the game is like an mmorpg.

Doesn't that just culminate in
the lighthouse?

Speaking of which, I'm a bit disappointed that you don't get to see
the lighthouse
in it's full glory

Top Bottom