• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Okay guys... In an effort to not have wasted 40 bucks I need help.

I'm walking around the city NOT KILLING THINGS, and I want to be killing things.

I don't want to settle disputes between two performers... I don't want to talk to beggars... I'm supposed to be a renown hunter; I shouldn't be concerning myself with such things.

Is it okay to beeline through the murder stuff so I can fight some undead? Will I somehow ruin my game?

At this point I'm REALLY not enjoying the writing, or the pacing... The combat seemed enjoyable, but I'm losing patience fast.

Edit: Maybe this just isn't my kind of game. I wasn't a fan of Shadowrun Returns either, and they feel similar.

marrec

Banned

I'm walking around the city NOT KILLING THINGS, and I want to be killing things.

I don't want to settle disputes between two performers... I don't want to talk to beggars... I'm supposed to be a renown hunter; I shouldn't be concerning myself with such things.

Is it okay to beeline through the murder stuff so I can fight some undead? Will I somehow ruin my game?

At this point I'm REALLY not enjoying the writing, or the pacing... The combat seemed enjoyable, but I'm losing patience fast.

Edit: Maybe this just isn't my kind of game. I wasn't a fan of Shadowrun Returns either, and they feel similar.

You can ignore everything in town and just head out to smash some zombie heads if you want. Of course I'd get the two companions in town before you do that (especially Madora). You'll eventually have to talk to SOMEONE to continue a few quests and smash s'more heads, but this game doesn't force you to perform specific actions before you can go get yourself killed by a lvl 9 Fire Elemental.

My god these battles are epic as hell.

Even on Easy ... at lv. 4 I am just having some bloody WARS that have me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Love how you really have to plan out your moves and pay attention to your environment and character status's to come out of a fight alive. One battle my early group got into I thought I was toast. Got into it with 6 enemy Orcs with a leader character and they were all lv. 6-7. I was thinking ... yeh right. My team of 4 lv. 3's is up against this team that is higher level, purely outnumber, outgunned, etc.

I see a water barrel close to them, and my mage has Aerotheurge and Hydrosophist skills. I had a hunch, but hadn't seen it yet so was just playing off how the game had worked from this point. So I nail the barrel with my Wayfarer ( Bow user, has Geomancer and some healing spells ), and then create Rain with my mage. Entire map is now Wet. Ok. Next turn I use Lightning Strike and bam, that entire area is now flowing with lightning and 3/4th the enemy team is stunned for a few turns. Allowing me to get my Spider into the mix, buff everyone with my leader Knight with high leadership abilities and everything, and use my other Knight with Crushing Fist to try and knock down the enemy Shaman, which succeeds.

Just love that dynamic of turning your environment against your enemy and mixing it all up to create situations where a potentially fatal battle is actually one that becomes painless in the end. Was still a close call, due to all the missing and whatnot. But I came out the end victorious with tons of loot, including a Gold rarity necklace and 3 blue rarity armor items and a much stronger 2H sword for my main Knight.

Game is fantastic, loving it so far.

lol yeah I spent 2 hours in town my first run there just talking to everyone and seeing what quests are given and reading books and all that. Now on my 4th restart, and I know where to go in town and in what sequence to activate the main storyline and then get back to town and get the quest I need to go into the local caves and whatnot. Go to the Tavern or Inn or whatever and join the guild the guy offers at the front door. You'll get directed to caves to the north. You'll fight many undead on the way and then the cave will have plenty more.

If you dig up the graves in the graveyard, there is an entrance to an underground mine/cave that will get you into some trouble. Out the west gate at the beach, you will run into a minefield and legions of Orcs.

Plenty of fighting to be had.

Finalow

I'm finally at the point where the party is decent at dealing with monsters, even one level higher. mostly thanks to summons (seriously super good early game), level 7 skills and cannon glass/leech. I probably need higher stats in order to fully use cannon glass though.

besides turn based combat, they don't. this is an actual rpg.
-

I tried some random co-op. now the point is that co-op with random people sucks. if someone wants to be a jerk, he could just destroy all the items in the inventory of the character that he's controlling and leave, or destroy the equipped items, or kill random npcs etc. which basically forces you to save before doing co-op and realod the whole thing if the guy decides to do that. it was probably not intended as co-op to do with random people but that's what I'd have played the most.

Finalow

// gaf being stupid and made a double post.

question: how exactly do I unlock more halls in the homestead? I got a bloodstone but nothing was unlocked.

Instro

Talk the the legion commander and get all his quests, then head out the northwest gate to fight zombies that will be around your level.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So me and me friend are co-oping together through this. We just got past the lighthouse business and are pretty decently into the investigation.

Only now that we've realized how the game fully works mechanically we are starting to notice that we HATE our characters. I made a rogue and he made a cleric but we find outselves using Jahan and Madora more and more because we like those characters and feel they're just better than our messes.

For example my character has water spells, archery as well as the default rogue tool kit, he feels like a total disaster. My friends cleric is slightly better but he generally feels he would be happier with a more Madora type character.

So basically what I'm asking you guys is, would it be smarter for us to restart with "better built" characters that we enjoy more? Or is it worth it to tough it out? I've heard that there is a way to rebuild your character but it sounds like a long way away and requires you to relearn all your spells via spell book. I've also heard that it really doesn't matter after a certain point but it matters right now to a degree
basically we wouldn't have survived the encounter with the horror at the lighthouse if it wasn't for Jahan and Madora, our two characters pale in comparison to them

What do you guys think? Restart (we could probably catch up in 2-3 hours) or keep pushing forward?

OK super N00b question.

<noob>
I have agreed with 2 guys at work to play this with them.

I was wondering if we all need to start playing at the same time or can i start now, play for a bit then use that char when i play co-op with them? Will that mess anything up?
</noob>

Chaos17

Doesn't that just culminate in
the lighthouse?

Speaking of which, I'm a bit disappointed that you don't get to see
the lighthouse
in it's full glory

It does with 2 others quests, all in the undead arc.
Here's a guide if you feel lost again : http://guides.gamepressure.com/divinityoriginalsin/

OK super N00b question.

<noob>
I have agreed with 2 guys at work to play this with them.

I was wondering if we all need to start playing at the same time or can i start now, play for a bit then use that char when i play co-op with them? Will that mess anything up?
</noob>
The save game will be on the host pc.
Other players won't be ablet to continue the adventure in solo.
So either you play without them and they join you later or either start a new game just for your solo play.
Also the co-op is officially only for 2 players, I don't know anything about the mod which allow you to play up to 4 in co-op (only 2 people will play main hereoes other will play companions).

So basically what I'm asking you guys is, would it be smarter for us to restart with "better built" characters that we enjoy more? Or is it worth it to tough it out?
There's a repse option in the game but it seems it won't be unlocked until the mid of the second zone (well that's how it was for me).
Your choice, you can reroll or continue until you unlock that option in the End of time.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
There's a repse option in the game but it seems it won't be unlocked until the mid of the second zone (well that's how it was for me).
Your choice, you can reroll or continue until you unlock that option in the End of time.

I'm guessing that's a good 5 hours away since we're still finishing up the investigation? Yeah I think we'll restart, but good to know that there is that option available!

The respec option becomes available really late so yeah wouldn't count on it too much if you really dislike your stuff. I remade characters several times before I settled on specific stuff. I'd just reroll, if you know what you're doing it doesn't take too long to get back to where you were.

You can also in theory edit the save and just change stuff like that. I've done it on my last char after noticing when I hit level 5 than I forgot to set talents for my 2nd char so I didn't have the right stuff, mostly I changed the talents and the amount of skill points I would have gotten with Lone Wolf. You can find LStools at http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508617

It's mostly made to extract files from the .pak and stuff but there's an experimental character edit function if you open a save that's very easy to use, open the Globals.lsd of your save(saves are in my documents/larian/divinity/profiles/name/savegames) then click on the characters tab, edit stuff, click Save Changes on the character general tab then Save to the same file and overwrite. Make sure to make a copy in case you mess something up. The names aren't the ingame names btw they're the code names for the abilities so can be a bit confusing, there's a list somewhere on the mod forums but too lazy to find it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
You can also in theory edit the save and just change stuff like that. I've done it on my last char after noticing when I hit level 5 than I forgot to set talents for my 2nd char so I didn't have the right stuff, mostly I changed the talents and the amount of skill points I would have gotten with Lone Wolf. You can find LStools at http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508617

It's mostly made to extract files from the .pak and stuff but there's an experimental character edit function if you open a save that's very easy to use, open the Globals.lsd of your save(saves are in my documents/larian/divinity/profiles/name/savegames) then click on the characters tab, edit stuff, click Save Changes on the character general tab then Save to the same file and overwrite. Make sure to make a copy in case you mess something up. The names aren't the ingame names btw they're the code names for the abilities so can be a bit confusing, there's a list somewhere on the mod forums but too lazy to find it.

Oh wow this could be really handy!

Thanks a lot, I might look into editing my file and just "rebuilding" the character to how I want it.

danthefan

Are there any recent games similar to this game or do you have to go back to the likes of Baldur's Gate?

I backed Pillars of Eternity so I'll be getting that when it releases.

Finalow

I'm stuck with the talking head statues quest,
I need an earth spell in order to activate the last one, but in town the only offensive spells that are being sold are at level 10, I'm 7.
is there maybe an arrow for this? Or someone else selling lower level earth spells?

Did you use the bloodstone?
nope, seemed like something that I should save for quests or critical situations. I guess I'll wait to unlock those halls then.

Noaloha

I need an earth spell in order to activate the last one, but in town the only offensive spells that are being sold are at level 10, I'm 7.
is there maybe an arrow for this? Or someone else selling lower level earth spells

No random Earth-based scrolls lying around forgotten in the bottom of a backpack?

EDIT: I might be wrong about this, but also
I seem to recall you just need to interract with it using the element. As I remember it, the source doesn't necessarily need to be a spell. Have you tried dragging an ooze barrel over to it and spilling poison across its feet? Apologies if you try this and it turns out I'm misremembering!

Ourobolus

Banned
is there maybe an arrow for this? Or someone else selling lower level earth spells?

nope, seemed like something that I should save for quests or critical situations. I guess I'll wait to unlock those halls then.

I'm not actually sure - but can you attack with an element-based weapon?

Finalow:
Poison is earth, so if you have any poison arrows or spells that should work. Magical Poison Dart shouldn't be too hard of a spell to find.

danthefan

I

Ok there's only 1 or 2 quests where you need to use one, and you've a choice in both. Other than that just use as you see fit, tbh there's no real need to hang onto them if you're playing on normal.

Brakke

Banned

I've seen one quest that requires a bloodstone, very early in the second area (~level 10-12). It was real short and the reward wasn't great AND you get like a whole stash of bloodstones in that zone. So it might be worth just popping it.

I'm not actually sure - but can you attack with an element-based weapon?

Yes, or like a poison arrow or something.

Damn, I was so wrong yesterday

Was perfectly levelled for a couple of areas, which have branched out into entirely new areas and another entrance to
the church

Also did the pillar puzzle and got some good loot, picked up a few new quests

One problem though, I got the harebrained scheme to make Madora kind of witch/two-hand tank hybrid, then remembered that I need a staff to use spells, so it has to be one or the other unless I waste AP switching weapons all the time

Only big problem with this game is the lack of intuitive compartmentalisation in the inventory screens. Related to that, moving equipment to someone with Blacksmithing is stupid.

Found it a bit of an odd decision to make the hirable followers Level 1 when you're well above that when you unlock that utility. I'm guessing that's just for fun, and the guys are created by the Kickstarter backers, don't see any reason whatsoever to drop Madora or Jahan

Absolutely loving this so far, GotY for me

Torraz

Could use some pointers on two early game chapter 1 quests:

I killed the robot, but the fabulous five people are gone. Cecil will not speak to me, because he is mourning his dead daughter. I knew they were scammers from the start, but I was thinking that I should get an update in the quest log regarding looking for them to extract my reward? It is still stuck on getting my money after major cecil pays them

as above, i killed the robot. the quest log suggests looking for the three NPCs in the cavern (which i managed to save). The problem is that i can't find them, not at the doctors place or Aureaus. Where are they?

Thanks!

Terra_Ex

Could use some pointers on two early game chapter 1 quests:

I killed the robot, but the fabulous five people are gone. Cecil will not speak to me, because he is mourning his dead daughter. I knew they were scammers from the start, but I was thinking that I should get an update in the quest log regarding looking for them to extract my reward? It is still stuck on getting my money after major cecil pays them

as above, i killed the robot. the quest log suggests looking for the three NPCs in the cavern (which i managed to save). The problem is that i can't find them, not at the doctors place or Aureaus. Where are they?

Thanks!
You won't get any money from this quest, the Fab Five already claimed it on your behalf.

Speak to the NPCs in the prison in the basement of Aureaus's office.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
One problem though, I got the harebrained scheme to make Madora kind of witch/two-hand tank hybrid, then remembered that I need a staff to use spells, so it has to be one or the other unless I waste AP switching weapons all the time

?????? You don't need a staff to use spells. ;b

?????? You don't need a staff to use spells. ;b

WHAT?!

This changes everything. Not even to make full use of them? I assumed you did because the Sourcehunters magic missile thing needs a staff :(

Gonna set Jahan up with a spear or something then. Is it true that there's very little reason to go one-handed? Looking at the good daggers stats, it seems like it could be a good idea to use a dagger since they only take two AP, so you could easily get 5 hits in per turn

Finalow

oh, if poison works then I have no problems. I got several poison arrows.

Ok there's only 1 or 2 quests where you need to use one, and you've a choice in both. Other than that just use as you see fit, tbh there's no real need to hang onto them if you're playing on normal.

I've seen one quest that requires a bloodstone, very early in the second area (~level 10-12). It was real short and the reward wasn't great AND you get like a whole stash of bloodstones in that zone. So it might be worth just popping it.
okey, I'll use it to unlock a new hall then.

Brakke

Banned
Found it a bit of an odd decision to make the hirable followers Level 1 when you're well above that when you unlock that utility. I'm guessing that's just for fun, and the guys are created by the Kickstarter backers, don't see any reason whatsoever to drop Madora or Jahan

I thought the same, there are actually a bunch of hirable companions past the level 1 people, just keep scrolling. It's just that they're all fixed, so there's a bunch of level 1 people, and then a handful of level 4 and then like a few level 9 and only a couple level 14 etc. You can hire henchfolk up to one level higher than you.

WHAT?!

This changes everything. Not even to make full use of them? I assumed you did because the Sourcehunters magic missile thing needs a staff :(

Gonna set Jahan up with a spear or something then. Is it true that there's very little reason to go one-handed? Looking at the good daggers stats, it seems like it could be a good idea to use a dagger since they only take two AP, so you could easily get 5 hits in per turn

The only staff advantage is that it powers the Staff of Magus / Whatever skill. Much more importantly, staves tend to have +intellect while weapons rarely do. You basically shouldn't ever attack with your mage, you should be using all your AP casting spells and keeping out of harm's way. So really, just take whatever weapon augments your spell power (or speed).

I came to really enjoy Swen Vincke's Kickstarter update videos. He just seems so positive and upbeat, and really enjoys working on games. I hope we get more updates on what the company is working on in the future.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
What does witchcraft pair well with?

I can't quite tell just from looking at the skills, since there is a bit of everything in there, I was thinking witchcraft with marksman and status arrows could be a lot of fun but you'd basically need high int and dex to make it work without penalties right?

Ourobolus

Banned
What does witchcraft pair well with?

I can't quite tell just from looking at the skills, since there is a bit of everything in there, I was thinking witchcraft with marksman and status arrows could be a lot of fun but you'd basically need high int and dex to make it work without penalties right?

Witchcraft is a lot of fun, but the main skill is Oath of Descration. Early skill and it's freakin' amazing. The rest is great, but Witchcraft doesn't really "synergize" like the elemental skills do. It mostly has status effects - all of which are pretty great though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Witchcraft is a lot of fun, but the main skill is Oath of Descration. Early skill and it's freakin' amazing. The rest is great, but Witchcraft doesn't really "synergize" like the elemental skills do. It mostly has status effects - all of which are pretty great though.

Yeah I was mainly looking at how hilarious blood letting could be with 2 melee characters in the party using leech as a talent. But I don't know how else to make it functional beyond that. I don't want that character to just be the buff / debuff kid.

BPoole

Has it been stated when the next major update is happening? I'm dying to play again but don't want anything big to change during my play through.

BPoole

Yeah I was mainly looking at how hilarious blood letting could be with 2 melee characters in the party using leech as a talent. But I don't know how else to make it functional beyond that. I don't want that character to just be the buff / debuff kid.

I had Jahan have 3 points on Witchcraft and that gave me access to the buffing/debuffing skills I wanted, as well a Death Punch and Summon Undead Decapitator. Death Punch got me out of so many tough fights. I'd cast haste on Jahan before his turn, then have him cast Oath of Desecration on himself, and then follow with a Death Punch that would deal upwards of 1500 damage.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I had Jahan have 3 points on Witchcraft and that gave me access to the buffing/debuffing skills I wanted, as well a Death Punch and Summon Undead Decapitator. Death Punch got me out of so many tough fights. I'd cast haste on Jahan before his turn, then have him cast Oath of Desecration on himself, and then follow with a Death Punch that would deal upwards of 1500 damage.

Oh wow, I'm guessing you got haste from the pyro skills not scoundrel skill right?

Ourobolus

Banned
I'm maybe halfwy throguh the game and I'm already looking forward to a Lone Wolf playthrough.

Thinking about a 1H/Bow user for one character, then a multi-elementspell caster. Sound about right? Any tips?

I'm maybe halfwy throguh the game and I'm already looking forward to a Lone Wolf playthrough.

Thinking about a 1H/Bow user for one character, then a multi-elementspell caster. Sound about right? Any tips?

Early game can be rough, I'd suggest not spending your trait point from level 3 until level 5 and getting glass cannon right away. Since you don't have 4 characters, you really want the big AP bonus from it to be able to deal with all the mobs. Other than that, on the mage at least I find CC/support spells more valuable than damage spells in general. Stuff like Boulder Bash is insanely useful if you can get a bunch of mobs grouped up, Blind from well Blind but also from Smokescreen is basically a 3turn disable on ranged mobs(AI seems pretty dumb and doesn't run in melee range to use stuff and even if you stand in melee range if they don't "target" you they just pass their turns). Firefly or Oil+Flare(or any fire source) are also very valuable in creating artificial chokepoints.

Other than that you definitely want like every school at least at one and most of them at 2 to get all the decent early spells, then you pick 2 to max pretty much.

Fire is great for damage, Fireball does solid aoe damage burst, Firefly does good sustained damage and zone denying, Burning Blaze does good single target damage and you get good utility out of Fire Elemental(gets healed when tanking fire damage mobs which makes it insanely good on some fights), Fire Shield(immunity to burning is great and so is fire resist in general) and Smoke Screen(blind, cuts vision, very good to force archers/casters to move closer). Wildfire is kinda nice too but not as much once you have Glass Cannon, movement speed is still great when playing a plate/chain user for the other slot.

Earth has really great summons, Spider is fine if you don't want to level it but wolf is quite a lot better stats wise and earth elemental is super boss, haven't tested the swarm. Other notable spells are Boulder Bash since it's not a projectile so it's very easy to hit what you want and does a very strong knockdown plus explodes if you drop it on fire ground, Earth Shield since you get it very early, while poison immunity is pretty meh, the absorption from the shield is very good, Bless is great early game especially on hard difficulty. Sadly the damage from this school is fairly awful, most of it comes in the form of poison damage which way too many mobs are immune or get healed by and even when they hit they do poor damage.

Water is nice for support obviously, has the strong heals but also gets freeze stuff and freeze is very strong as a disable. It has however a few annoying aspects, for example a frozen mob has +65armor so focusing it with your melee is pointless and spells often leave frozen ground which you can slip on, which is really bad news. The damage is also garbage. Mass slow is super strong but comes way late, single slow is great but being lvl 1 you don't really need to level it. I find this school to be kinda weak, the basic heal is great as it scales with level/int and you can even get the ice elemental with 2points without penalty since it's skill lvl 8, for tanking water stuff.

In the process of leveling air and witchcraft atm to see how they work out. Witchcraft seems really strong as support but the damage is awful, Bloodletting is bad(other than leech procs) and that's kinda the only damage until death punch, but the utility is very high. Air seems fairly well balanced, damage looks good, it has pretty good stuns and a bunch of decent utility. Just need to watch out when using lightning on a mob in melee range of your other chars since it'll often electify their blood which will stun your other char.

I'd say Fire or Air for damage and Earth or Witchcraft for utility and water at 2 for Rain/Heal/Ice ele/Slow.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

All magic schools include direct damage, summon abilities and buffs/debuffs. The only difference is the preference for one type over the other. Witchcraft grants access to two summons, Death Punch, Vampiric Touch, and Destroy summon.

Glass Cannon for your caster will greatly improve the experience. I would also think about adding it to your Scoundrel/Ranger. Pick up some summon creature abilities for both to offset the hit in defense.

BPoole

Oh wow, I'm guessing you got haste from the pyro skills not scoundrel skill right?
Yeah, one of my main characters was a Pyro/Geo Mage which had a higher initiative than Jahan so would always go before him. Haste also let's you move greater distances for less AP, so Japan would just plow into the largest enemy, Death Punch him, and then either telephone the enemy elsewhere or turn invisible and run away.

atr0cious

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but would it be possible to create two separate characters and use them in co-op together in one campaign?

Lol these tips are so vague I don't even have a clue what you're talking about and played up through the Rex twice.

WTF "justice"? How is "anything" a tip?
Well, to be fair to me, anything can certainly be a valid tip for the game.

Protip: Kill anything for a reward. Try it for yourself! (in-game please)

If that's a way of saying 'steal everything that isn't bolted down and sell it to buy skills' I heartily agree.

You're on the right track, well done. +100 experience.

You're now a Level 2 Carcetti.

NinjaEdit
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but would it be possible to create two separate characters and use them in co-op together in one campaign?

Have the host create a new game and sit at character creation until the other player joins - then you can both make your own character.

Decado

Any news on the modding front for this game? I looked at Workshop...and there is almost nothing. Doesn't sound like modders are taking to this game, which I find very surprising. Would have thought many of the modders of old school PC RPGs and maybe some Skyrim modders would be all over this.

Any news on the modding front for this game? I looked at Workshop...and there is almost nothing. Doesn't sound like modders are taking to this game, which I find very surprising. Would have thought many of the modders of old school PC RPGs and maybe some Skyrim modders would be all over this.

Good, quality mods take time. Perhaps even years.

Don't be so impatient, Decado!

Edit: Shengar also makes a good point. IMO you need to understand a game before you can mod it well... not that I've ever been a modder.

Waikis

Absolutely loving this so far, GotY for me

This is a bug I think. To fix this, you need hire them, ask them to leave the party and finally recruit them back by talking to them in the hall. When they rejoin your party, they should match your level.

Top Bottom