• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: OS - EE |OT| No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Corpekata

Banned
Maybe I should rephrase that. What is the best starting class combo when considering the first companion you can recruit. What is the first companions class? Should I start with 2 mages? Im looking for an overpowered team that can take me through most of the game.

Almost all of the companions are easy to recruit in the starter town so you don't really need to balance your classes around when you find them.

What you should do is create at least 1 mage, as there's only 1 mage party member, and 2 mages is a good combo for first time players. The recruit mage is Water and Air oriented so don't get those types of spells on your created character.

You will want one fighter type, which there is one of the recruits too. Rogue types are less essential, and are the other party members (one stabbing oriented, the other arrow)

So basically, create a mage with fire and earth skills, your second created character, just go with what seems fun, and then take the NPCs that aren't that character type with you.

But even if you don't do that, you'll be able to supplement most classes with skills. For instance, an arrow focused rogue gets lots of elemental arrows and so can sort of replace a mage if you want, though not quite as easily.

Or create two mages that compliment each other and say sod off to the NPC mage. As long as you don't do something obvious like make two melee rogues for your avatars, you'll find a party setup that works for you in the first town.

epmode

I'm thinking of skipping a warrior completely. Rogue + archer + fire/earth mage + water/air mage
Bad idea?

Maybe I should rephrase that. What is the best starting class combo when considering the first companion you can recruit. What is the first companions class? Should I start with 2 mages? Im looking for an overpowered team that can take me through most of the game.

There's been a lot of rebalancing so I don't know what qualifies as overpowered anymore.

To clarify, I believe you can recruit all four of the main NPCs as soon as you arrive in the main town so there really isn't any "first companion". Take note of the NPC classes and build your main characters so that they don't overlap the two NPCs you choose.

NPC classes:
air/water mage
two-handed warrior
rogue
ranger

Lanrutcon

I'm thinking of skipping a warrior completely. Rogue + archer + fire/earth mage + water/air mage
Bad idea?

There's been a lot of rebalancing so I don't know what qualifies as overpowered anymore.

To clarify, I believe you can recruit all four of the main NPCs as soon as you arrive in the main town so there really isn't any "first companion". Take note of the NPC classes and build your main characters so that they don't overlap the two NPCs you choose.

NPC classes:
air/water mage
two-handed warrior
rogue
ranger

Yeah, you can skip warrior. The only thing warriors had going for them was insane 2H damage. That's been nerfed, so I don't see what they bring to the table anymore.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Play what you like. This isn't a game about min maxing, it's a game about finding bizarre solutions to problems with the tools you have at hand, regardless of what those tools are.

squadr0n

Thanks for the help everyone!

I finished downloading but now im having problems running the game on my system. It ran the Vanilla version fine. I have all the latest drivers installed.

here is my set up:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
Memory 16 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 10240), 64-bit

The error says I need to meet the system requirements or get the DX11 drivers and I know I meet both. Any tips?

Shepard

Holy shit the performance bump it got is amazing. I ran the original just fine with a 980, but it would dip below 60 at higher resolutions. Didnt expect to run at 4k/60 fps. Feels amazing. Is there any way to import the achievements from the original game?

When you guys say Mage are you talking about Wizard/Battlemage/both?

The only difference between the starting mage classes is their starting magic spells and skill proficiencies. The only thing you should care is if you want a Fire/Earth mage, a Water/Wind mage, or a mage with Witchcraft spells. The classes are all just premade starting stats and skills. You can always customize the classes to your liking but it's ideal to pair fire spells with earth spells and water spells with wind spells.

epmode

When you guys say Mage are you talking about Wizard/Battlemage/both?

It's like Dark Souls in that the starting class doesn't matter very much. Can't you take a base class and completely redistribute your points during character creation?

The important thing is what skills you pick.

Anno

I actually never played much or at all with Witchcraft in the base game. What are some good pairing skills?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I actually never played much or at all with Witchcraft in the base game. What are some good pairing skills?

The Witchcraft spell "bleed" combined with the "leech" talent was *very* strong in Vanilla, it sounds like they've nerfed it a little bit, but should still be useful.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Are you sure that was a sheep summon? Could have been an ENEMY SHEEP.

It looked like a summon in that gif in the OP.

I didn't play much of the game despite buying the original version on release, but now that it has couch co-op I'm all in. Setting up time to play games online with friends got too tricky, but local is easy.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Ugh. They got me for 60 bucks. Still salty about that but if we don't support this on consoles we wont get anymore.

Anything really, it's a neutral school, doesn't have anything that creates effects or work off effects. It has a bunch of debuffs, buffs, undead summons and other "necromancer" themed abilities like a lifesteal and stuff like that. Pairs with anything really, though I'd say it's less good if you plan on going high earth since one of the strong point of earth is the pets and the undead pets are also one of the strong points of witchcraft(and you can only have one pet active at a time).

On tactician, got wiped a couple of times on the very first fight lol. You kinda don't want to min max too much for the long term and pick some fairly strong options just so you can get past that.

Dual wield looks very strong IF you put points into it(it's garbage if you don't), Sneaking in combat seems to have been nerfed I think, not entirely sure but it costs 5 at Sneaking 2 when it uses to be one less so it might cap at 2 and also had trouble finding sneaking gear on the early vendors. They do seem to stock every spells all the time now though, which is great. Wish there was a save editor or something so I could check scaling on a bunch of stuff.

Hmm not showing up among my purchased games on GOG. Seems a few people are having this issue.

took 3 minutes after it was up for it to show up for me on the site, and 12 minutes before it showed up on the Galaxy windows exe

man the first load on everything is brutal then it's fast when doing it again I.E. inventory, menu's etc

bounchfx

so I started a game with my friend but like.. is there no way to join someone before they finished making characters? in the first game you could join your friend during that.. but now I can't find any way to join them? wtf? anyone know how?

edit: okay, it's real obvious. she just didn't look at the menu> invite players

I do have one gripe. In console UI mode, using a 4:3 graphics screen causes everything to be cut off on the sides. I wanted to use my controller with this monitor but now I have to play in windowed more.

Corpekata

Banned
It looked like a summon in that gif in the OP.

I didn't play much of the game despite buying the original version on release, but now that it has couch co-op I'm all in. Setting up time to play games online with friends got too tricky, but local is easy.

It's an enemy summoning sheep to do battle with you.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just played an hour on pc with the controller.

They nailed the controller interface. So much work went into it, and it shows. The hold A to create search area is damn brilliant. And the font size is perfect for the TV.

So happy to be able to play this on the couch instead of hunched over my computer.

Dizzy-4U

Just to be sure, I can safetely delete Original Sin and download the Enhanced Edition, right? It's not borrowing files from the original game nor the DLC?

Have they added more options to the initial character creation? What about variety in armor designs? Those were the two things that bugged me the most. Mostly the latter.

Menome

Just to be sure, I can safetely delete Original Sin and download the Enhanced Edition, right? It's not borrowing files from the original game nor the DLC?

I completely uninstalled my original version and have happily spent an hour playing the new one. You're safe.

I have a feeling I need to read up on this game through the threads and plan out my party some before starting.

Same here. I still find this game a little too overwhelming to play right now.

I've played that tutorial dungeon like 4 times now but every time I exit and get into that somewhat large battle soon after, I find that my party composition is... poorly chosen. I feel like I need to read some basic tips on character creation and skill choices. But with my limited time to play games, I'd like something I can just jump into and get going.

It seems like a great game though :(

Wow, I just booted the game up for the first time and it loads to the title screen like twice as fast as the vanilla version. Vanilla game just chugged on everything on my GTX 560 Ti. Hope this optimization is consistent thoughtout.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Hmm not showing up among my purchased games on GOG. Seems a few people are having this issue.
The GOG team on the forums said to contact support. I gave them my order # for the original, and they just emailed me back a code to redeem the enhanced edition. Took about an hour for a response.

vocab

Game runs better no doubt. The biggest issue I had with the original technically was the sound issues (sounds wouldn't play when the performance in the area/during a fight was low. I'm pretty sure its fixed here, but won't know until I get deep into the game.

I'm confused though. Why is edge panning disabled by default? That made no sense.

There's also new camera angles for corners and such. Nice little change.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The voice acting really adds to the game. Even random NPC guards have unique lines.

And my god are the animal sounds hilarious. Just talked to the rooster being painted.

zarnold56

Checking Best Buy to see if a store around me has it in stock to pick up after work and it appears no one within 200 miles carries it. I wonder if it just hasn't updated, or they really aren't carrying this game in most stores.

Serra

Same here. I still find this game a little too overwhelming to play right now.

I've played that tutorial dungeon like 4 times now but every time I exit and get into that somewhat large battle soon after, I find that my party composition is... poorly chosen. I feel like I need to read some basic tips on character creation and skill choices. But with my limited time to play games, I'd like something I can just jump into and get going.

It seems like a great game though :(

Just roll with whatever if you aren't playing on Tactician or Hard. You can make it!

Top Bottom