• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Review Thread (Release Date - 1/15/13) Embargo is over!

Kamiya's just tweeted these:

I've been getting a lot of DmC tweets lately. DmC is a very unique title, and I honestly hope that people enjoy it.

I am also happy to see all of your messages, even though the first Devil May Cry came out 12 years ago.

That being said, DMC has been on its own path for a long time now and asking my opinion of things is pointless.

My only opinion is that people continue to love the Devil May Cry series, both fans and its creators alike. It’s yours now.

Seik

Banned
If a developer isn't comfortable with how 60fps game looks this generation in comparison to the 30fps console peers, that gap is still going to be there next generation. Or does the next gen hardware work out in manner where doubling the frame rate is going to have a noticeable painting setback?

Well, I just said maybe, crossing fingers here. :p

sleepykyo

I want people to read this. It's not a review, but I feel it's still relevant.

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.

Yet another article that groups lumps all critics together.

I swear gamers are all fucking psychopaths. That Washington sniper played Halo. Trained him to kill
let's ignore his military training

Is there some weird persecution complex among NT fans? Like the DmC threads were ironically the most civil when Jett and Ezkial
belatedly, welcome back
were gone, despite being mostly positive toward DmC.

Wow sweeping generalizations, such as the ones I just made, come across as really dickish and do nothing but incite rage and quell legitimate conversation.

If you honestly feel that the discussion on this forum equates to death threats and the like, I'd suggest reporting the offenders to a mod.

dan2026

It sure is.

2413880-giantbomb_super.jpg

Why does he randomly insult Patrick at the end?
Patrick had nothing to do with the review!

That's only just a small portion, but it's the part that should kick in the balls of most people still throwing a hussy fit.

Link.

Disclosure: I worked with Brenna for 18 months at VG247 before I left it and she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry and I think this backs it up.

Could you explain how generalising a whole fanbase, one that has a million different responses to this title, even within the negative spectrum, is a example of good writing? I'm sorry but all that article shows is that the title "gaming journalist" is still very much an oxymoron. Even if it is a opinion piece, it should stil be grounded in facts.

It has and will never be about fucking white hair. Repeating the same nonsense over and over again doesn't make it real.

Goon Boon

Banned
Could you explain how generalising a whole fanbase, one that has a million different responses to this title, even within the negative spectrum, is a example of good writing? I'm sorry but all that article shows is that the title "gaming journalist" is still very much an oxymoron. Even if it is a opinion piece, it should stil be grounded in facts.

It has and will never be about fucking white hair. Repeating the same nonsense over and over again doesn't make it real.

I'm really interested in this too.

Zeal

Banned
Just gonna simply say the game is amazing. Don't give a shit what any of the haters are saying, this is the best DMC since DMC1 and possibly the best ever.

Great style, combat, story and incredibly fun to play. That's all that matters. Graphics are also gorgeous in areas.

And before anyone bitches, I've been a fan of the series since I imported the original.

Glass Rebel

Link.

Well, this is also a way to throw your credibility out of the window.

Riposte

Aside from boss fights sucking (that's pretty bad), how are the rest of the enemies compared to DMC3/4? If they are worse, then I don't know if I'll bother. If they manage to be better, maybe I'll check it out. If you tell me it is DMC1 tier I reserve the right not to believe you.

Link.

LOL. Ok. That article was a resentful, hypocritical piece of shit in itself, but you elevated this to something special with that disclosure of yours.

EDIT: I'm not emotionally invested in this whole DmC business and think a lot of people care too much (I dislike bitterness in any form). However, I see something stupid brewing here. It seems people want to make a big deal about rubbing reviews into people's faces. Here is the thing... game journalist reviews are some of the most disposable professional writing on the internet and (whatever superficial points they may raise) are quickly forgotten even by those who write them. "Cult" fanbases last for decades and love to continually dissect games they love or hate. Game journos themselves have a form of ADD and will soon forget DmC as new novelties appear. Do you understand how silly this is? The DMC fans you are trying to discount will be the ones talking about DMC from here on out while the next time game journos do so will be in retrospect when Capcom announces the next DMC to hype.

Glass Rebel

Kind of. But that is the thing people are supposed to do. While it may make color his view of the writing, the quality of the writing stands or falls on its own merits.

I should have left the part where he says that he worked with her unbolded. Her writing is third grade.

DrNeroCF

Link.

Sarcasm...? You're really going to have to explain this one...

According to this measure, the “gamer” kind is sexist; racist; homophobic; reactionary; unable to spell; almost exclusively male; hasn’t read a book since See Spot Run; probably dramatically under-equipped in the genital department; incapable of basic self-care like hygiene, cooking and housework; and covered in Cheeto dust.

sometimes I'm glad videogames aren't something society deems important because jesus if this is who we get to represent us

Curufinwe

Just gonna simply say the game is amazing. Don't give a shit what any of the haters are saying, this is the best DMC since DMC1 and possibly the best ever.

Great style, combat, story and incredibly fun to play. That's all that matters. Graphics are also gorgeous in areas.

And before anyone bitches, I've been a fan of the series since I imported the original.

DMC 3 SE HD is stil the best. And Sessler is right about the DMC story.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Yeah people who are mostly out to tank the game in the eyes of the public definitely don't exist *glances at metacritic user reviews*
If you're going to concern yourself with metacritic user reviews, you might as well start concerning yourself with Youtube comments and rolling in mud.

Or you could read the post I was replying to which was clearly talking about The NEOGAF.

Curufinwe

Link.

This is one of the most pathetic pieces of writing I've ever seen on a games website. Disposable, hypocritical, ignorant trash.

If you're going to concern yourself with metacritic user reviews, you might as well start concerning yourself with Youtube comments and rolling in mud.

Or you could read the post I was replying to which was clearly talking about The NEOGAF.

I never mentioned or even implied they existed on Neogaf. If they have leaked into here it's pretty minimal, discussion has been good lately. It's everywhere else.

I haven't posted much about this at all either. I don't know where this is coming from.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I think you're still in the wrong thread and the post of mine to which you replied to was a reply to Darknessbear who was talking about GAF

Also, I think everyone knows everywhere else is bad and doesn't take it very seriously (to be fair here isn't very good either but you take what you can get) so I don't get why you concern yourself with them.

MechaX

Don't be ashamed. You're losing something that's important. A lot of us are. The only thing you can do is show support for the original series.

Eh, I guess I'm kinda salty about this as well. It's nice that DmC shows that Ninja Theory is clearly learning and improving, but I am still not convinced at all that this kind of drastic step was necessary after DMC4 (especially since not only were the fans really left hanging with the Nero stuff, but a lot of DMC4's problems are widely known and easily correctable, such as not having shit level design in the second half of a game). I could see it being necessary if the series were in a RE-style slump, but it really wasn't. When considering that there are other Capcom franchises that might be more in need of such a step, I'm still in the "Not like this" phase in acknowledging that OG DMC might be gone for a long, long time.

Doesn't help too much that when considering that Team Ninja Dog does not know their head from their ass, Platinum is the only place I can turn for the japanese action games I am used to.

jimi_dini

Yup.
Insulting "gamers" will surely help the situation.

she is sickeningly one of the best writers I've ever known in the games industry

According to this measure, the “gamer” kind is sexist; racist; homophobic; reactionary; unable to spell; almost exclusively male; hasn’t read a book since See Spot Run; probably dramatically under-equipped in the genital department; incapable of basic self-care like hygiene, cooking and housework; and covered in Cheeto dust.

She's the best.

Averon

Link.

Yeah. Calling people with complaints about DmC small dick losers surely is the way to go! That sure put them in their place! This entire article comes off being just as juvenile as the the people the author rails against. This article brings no intelligent discussion to the table. If this is what you think is quality writing, then I shudder to think what you think is bad writing.

mr_nothin

Banned
Yeah. Calling people with complaints about DmC small dick losers surely is the way to go! That sure put them in their place! This entire article comes off being just as juvenile as the the people the author rails against. This article brings no intelligent discussion to the table. If this is what you think is quality writing, then I shudder to think what you think is bad writing.

Have you not seen the youtube videos of said losers? lol

I didn't keep up with the whole story of Neogaf vs DMC but, the game gets great reviews and now even the journalists have to receive flack for liking it?

Game looks awesome. Waiting for PC version.

Wallach

EDIT: I'm not emotionally invested in this whole DmC business and think a lot of people care too much (I dislike bitterness in any form). However, I see something stupid brewing here. It seems people want to make a big deal about rubbing reviews into people's faces. Here is the thing... game journalist reviews are some of the most disposable professional writing on the internet and (whatever superficial points they may raise) are quickly forgotten even by those who write them. "Cult" fanbases last for decades and love to continually dissect games they love or hate. Game journos themselves have a form of ADD and will soon forget DmC as new novelties appear. Do you understand how silly this is? The DMC fans you are trying to discount will be the ones talking about DMC from here on out while the next time game journos do so will be in retrospect when Capcom announces the next DMC to hype.

This is a thought I'm definitely aligned with. I'm not sure I understand why anyone would give much weight to a reviewer's opinion in the context of being able to answer a question that will take the dedicated fanbase for a sequel months if not years to fully answer. Why would anyone think these people who are paid to cycle through games at a breakneck pace could give really meaningful insight about the quality of a title in comparison to the prior with a fast-tracked, deadline-imposed gaming session? Sometimes I'm not sure whether it's the readers or the reviewers themselves that lend too much weight to a reviewer's opinion.

I find it incredibly distasteful that the poster has now run off after basically say huh derp, I worked with this author and she is right, this an amazing write up without having the decency to at least attempt to defend his and the authors stance.

It is doubly distasteful because being a member of this community even as a junior should give him a better understanding of the fact that there are multiple trains of thought on this game.

To break down the responce to this game, on neogaf alone much less anywhere else, simply as for and against using a trival metric as hair colour as the line in the sand is naively reductive and incredibly disingenuous.

But please, continue to nod in rapid agreement about my pale skin, lack of social skills and my cheeto encrusted tiny penis. Ad hominems make every arguement stronger.

G-Fex

The best part is how clueless she is about the reasons the fans dislike the new game, she just read comments and made one cliffnote : Hair color

Ristlager

Since the OT is crawling right now, I'll try here as well.

Anyone know the Pluss member price on PSN of this game, preferably in NOK, but if there is a discount it would be nice to know.

SoCoRoBo

Seriously? There's nothing in that article that suggests she's a good or even competent writer. It's awful, hecklery invective with sentences unnecessarily peppered with "guys" and "c'mon" and other "I'm talking at you gamers" interjections. Just sitting there.

My editor hasn't quite finished the game yet, so we don't have a review right now. But I'm about eight missions through the game, and here are some observations:

-Definitely slower than other games, and not just because of the framerate. Attacks from both you and the enemies have bigger wind-ups, jumping is slower and you can dodge pretty far. No deal breaker, as the combos available carry enough of the DMC essence, but it could, and should, have been a bit more intense.

-Flashing weapons and enemies when enemies are about to attack was kind of a dumb idea. Attacks wind up enough for me to gauge them by spatial awareness alone. I don't need flashing lights to tell me when to move as well. I'm not a fan of the phrase "dumbing down", but this pretty much fits the bill.

-Platforming is a lot better than in previous installments, mostly due to the freeform camera this time around. Decent amount of tools to use in these instances makes it better than games with "automated" platforming such as Uncharted.

-Lack of lock-on is a crying shame and makes gunplay frustrating in some instances. Trying to shoot down airborne enemies while you also have ground targets is a trial in and of itself.

-Colour-coded enemies weren't a terrible idea, but the blue enemies just take too many hits to kill, and this definitely disrupts the flow. Situational enemies (shields, airborne, fast, impervious to frontal attacks, etc.) can keep an element of strategy in play, but the elemental enemies restrict your options and remove flavour from fights.

-When reviewing games, I play through on medium/normal. Given I wasn't reviewing this, I just went straight to hard. It's a misnomer, really. Not as hard as other normal modes in the DMC series.

-The story is far less obtuse than it was in DMC4, but many plot points are given out in the first three missions, removing a lot of potential mystique. A shame, as the backstory of Dante might have been worthy of some emotional moments. Then again, they might turn this around later in the game.

-The internal logic that governs the differences between the real world and Limbo are either not explained properly or are inconsistent, making events hard to grasp at times.

-Dante swears a bit too much, and sounds unenthusiastic outside of combat or snark situations, but other than that, he's fine. His one-liners basically become the types of lines James Bond would say, which suits me fine.

-Dante looks like a spunk without his shirt.

So far, it's definitely better than DMC 2 and 4, but nowhere near as great as 1 or 3, or Bayonetta. Time will tell if it can stack up to Revengeance, which isn't that far away.

Link.

This backs up nothing, It's sad.

Carbonox

Finished the game and now going through Son of Sparda mode. Armed with all my tools from the beginning and going through the game again with a new sense of knowing what to do and where to go for the secrets, I'm enjoying myself even more. Well, with the exception of more elemental enemies appearing now. They suck.

I won't give this game my personal score though for a while. So much left to do in the game and I intend on doing it.

Very good game though.

Edit: Oh and Aquila + Kablooey + Arbiter = lolololol Especially Aquila's Round Trip and Arbiter's Trinity Smash.

Curufinwe

-Lack of lock-on is a crying shame and makes gunplay frustrating in some instances. Trying to shoot down airborne enemies while you also have ground targets is a trial in and of itself.

That's gonna make it very hard to play after just recently finishing up DMC 1 and 3 HD.

Link.

Oh my goodness this is ridiculous. You guys definitely kicked me in the balls!

I don't get why they let him review DmC when he's never played Devil May Cry 3. That's a travesty, his opinion doesn't count.

None of the GB staff have played Devil May Cry 3 to a level you'd find acceptable, if at all. If you're suggesting they shouldn't have reviewed it at all that's fine I guess.

Teknoman

I didn't keep up with the whole story of Neogaf vs DMC but, the game gets great reviews and now even the journalists have to receive flack for liking it?

Game looks awesome. Waiting for PC version.

Heres a quick rundown:

Ninja Theory is not known for having anything in their released games (gameplay wise) in common with the Devil may Cry franchise. That means sub 60 frames per second, slow and somewhat clunky at times combat, and a focus on story above all else.

After most fans here found that the game was using Unreal Engine 3 (which has performance and texture loading issues depending on the devs using it) and that Dante had been completely redesigned to the point of being another character entirely (both in looks and having a much more abrasive personality) was the tipping point.

Although it seems like a spin off, looking at the Resident Evil series, most fans were worried (and probably still are) that the Devil May Cry series would take DmC and run with it as the new core franchise style. Of course now that the game is out, people are mostly seeing that its a great action game, but doesnt really stand anywhere near the top of the franchise/could still use improvements here and there.

Personally i'm just glad I can say it's better than 2. Finally played a good chunk of that last night on the HD collection, and I can see why it gets all that crap.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Link.

Absolutely not. That article was garbage for more reasons than one.

The article states that generalities of an entire community don't exist. Then proceeds to make generalities of a community.

She takes a predictable and easymode topic and addresses it from a place of ignorance and hate. She is no better than those she is berating.

Top Bottom