• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

Maybe, just maybe, she just didn't like Notch as a potential romantic partner. Whether he is a decent human being or filthy rich, there's a lot more to being in a relationship with someone and maybe Notch isn't that desirable in that aspect (except to gold diggers).

Totally hear ya.

Oh, and dig the Ranma avatar. Making me all nostalgic when I don't want to be *grumble* ;)

No, but it's still true he has money for therapy, unlike a lot of equally depressed people. He at least has that going for him.

That doesn't mean he's of the mind to seek it. You really have to want to help yourself and that's a big part of why folks who have money don't. They don't realize they should or just don't because their mind is telling them it's not fixable.

There's so many components to mental health, I don't get how anyone can simply ignore him or hate on him for his problems simply because he has more wealth.

So, I'm curious. Does Notch still want to make videogames? Obviously it's going to be hard for him to top Minecraft, but maybe he has some passion projects that he could use his free time to start on.

Even if he has to go solo for a while, maybe use the time to hone his skills or brainstorm the next project. It doesn't have to top Minecraft, more like something he has on the back burner of his mind.

Or maybe take up new hobbies, surely he has some other interests.

I can understand the companionship thing, when you're as rich as he is it can be hard to tell who's there for you and not what you can do for them. Can't imagine what that's like for someone who's considered introverted, yet has all that money.

I get the depression and everything...but come on. As someone whos been depressed most of their life, 1/100th of notch's money would probably cure it.

Hmm im bored lets fly to paris for lunch, then sunset watching on a buddhist temple in thailand.
DP a supermodel with Leo Dicaprio.
Have lunch with Larry Page/Elon Musk/Richard Branson and dicuss the world.
Invest into any number of start ups to change humanity (deepmind, some 3d printing shit, life extension company, biotech companies trying to alter human dna etc. even just funding/working on indie video games.

I mean come on.

I get the depression and everything...but come on. As someone whos been depressed most of their life, 1/100th of notch's money would probably cure it.

Hmm im bored lets fly to paris for lunch, then sunset watching on a buddhist temple in thailand.
Invest into any number of start ups to change humanity (deepmind, some 3d printing shit, life extension company, biotech companies trying to alter human dna etc. even just funding/working on indie video games.

I mean come on.

Again, look at Robin Williams please.

SparkTR

He impulsively offered to do that for Psychonauts 2 a few years ago. I'm not sure it was a great idea from, like, a financial perspective, but at this point maybe a financially wasteful but satisfying investment would be a good thing.

He also funded Age of Wonders III, which turned into one of the best fantasy 4X games ever. If I was rich I'd be make those sorts of investments all year.

Maybe someone brought it up, but can the folks saying he's got the money for therapy and such remember a small time comedian named ROBIN WILLIAMS by chance?

Yeah, just because you're loaded doesn't mean all your problems magically go away.

That's horse shit because Robin Williams didn't shy away from helping people or trying to bring joy. He would regularly call up Children's hospitals and do imitations of characters just to cheer kids up. Notch is partying in Ibiza and wondering why he's lonely. There's a big fucking difference.

He also funded Age of Wonders III, which turned into one of the best fantasy 4X games ever. If I was rich I'd be make those sorts of investments all year.

I think there's a good chance that he'll ultimately end up with a business partner doing this exact sort of thing. I fully believe Notch couldn't manage multi-million dollar investments in game development on his own but it does seem like something that would be a good way to spend some time and money if he could find the right staff to work with.

Mabufu

Banned
Money doesnt bring hapiness, good company, family and friends does. And he cant seem to find them, so all his money is useless.

I totally understand that spending money on yourself may not be fulfilling at all if you lack good social interaction.

Roto13

I mean come on.

I love people who think "depressed" means "gets kind of down sometimes"

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?

I mean come on.

No, no it wouldn't.

Why do people keep saying this. I've heard it twice now, it's bunk.

I mean come on.
This isn't how life works. At all.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Money doesnt bring hapiness, good company, family and friends does. And he cant seem to find them, so all his money is useless.

It actually depends on your personal definition of happiness.

For myself money would absofuckinglutely equal happiness. It would equal the freedom to pursue whatever I wanted to without fear. It would mean freedom from the daily grind of a 8 to 5 job. I would have the time to actually teach myself to develop video games for a living, unlike now when my 50 hour a week job plus house upkeep / repairs / yardwork / etc that takes up so much of my time that I just can't fit it all in because I have bills to pay. With money I could pay other people to do those chores for me while I focus on what I WANT to do. Or, I could build myself a woodshop and make furniture for a living. What if my stuff didn't sell? Who cares, I'm set for life. I could do volunteer work around town because I'd be financially independent and wouldn't need to "work" ever again.

But then I wouldn't be the guy who goes and buys mansions either, hell I wouldn't even move at all, I love my house. I don't need a car for every day of the week, The fanciest thing I'd buy is probably a brand new Subaru Crosstrek. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it on toys or more junk, it can simply mean you are independent of the financial treadmill and free to do whatever you freakin want. If I got the urge to take my Harley on a two month road trip, no problem, I could do it. If I felt like taking four months to hike the Appalachian Trail, sure, why the hell not! If I simply wanted to sit at home and play WoW again to my heart's content, I'd be able to do it!

Money can most certainly bring happiness, but if used unwisely it can also bring sorrow. Why did Notch buy a big fancy mansion? Why is he running in rich folk circles and parties now when he wasn't before? Why did he change at all who he is? Those are the sources of his woes, bad decisions, NOT the money itself.

ViolentP

Money doesn't bring you happiness. It only allows you to do a more thorough search for it. Just because you are rich, doesn't mean your work is done.

JayTapp

I think he needs more help to manage that money. The stupid mansion he bought, of course it would attract the phonies.

If suddenly I got 2 billions dollars, of course i'd buy a nice car/motorcycle and some cool gifts for my friend. One always dreamed of having a Lotus Elise, not a millionaire's car but expansive enough so he does not get one.

Maybe start another game company, hire your close friends, so you have a goal together trying to make some cool shit without having to worry if it's gonna be profitable.

Getting suddenly super rich brings a lot of problems, and he might need help managing this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
One one of the tweets:

There are limits to the market...some of the best human pursuits are things you cannot buy your way through. Not every relationship you can with people needs to necessarily be imbalanced, that's perhaps a reflection of the narrow pursuits you're engaging in that perhaps maybe around material or 'career'/business pursuits?

I'll repeat a sincere suggestion I made on Twitter - assuming his health is OK, start going to the gym and building a better body. Yes, you can hire a personal trainer, yes you can afford to eat well, but at the end of the day, this is something that money can't do for you, this is something a lot of 'ordinary' people are much more advanced than you (or me) on, and this is something you could pursue in which you could relate to any other person at the gym with on a journey to a better body and better health. And it doesn't involve your 'audience' - i.e. internet assholes to whine at you - nor is it something anyone will have any expectations about except yourself. It's slightly egotistical to think that now you're a billionaire you're on some isolated level compared to everyone else. Go to the gym and get humble (in the best way possible).

That's just one suggestion.

Great suggestion.

mattp

Notch and PewDiePie should start a self-help group for the unreasonably rich.

uh, i don't think they're quite on the same level of wealthiness lol
notch just sold his company for four BILLION dollars
pewdiepie "only" makes a few million a year

gatling

I think even if he didn't have the money he did, he might not be happy all the same. Its just speculation but Ive experienced and seen other instances where depression follows you like rolling luggage. Its sometimes more complex than the surface of just having things, places, and people to distract you from it.

Ill never know that level of financial wealth in my lifetime. He's got some work to do on himself before he levels out. I hope he does and we don't have a story on him of something terrible.

Having dealt with mental issues a lot in my life, with myself and then having others in my family and ex-in-laws having super serious mental issues, it's really hard to muster up a lot of empathy for him. I mean, I really do feel for him, but there's literally nothing any of us can do for this guy. It's all up to him, but luckily, he's got the resources to help.

Sucks to hear about him going through things, though. Heart goes out. But dude, go out and do shit. Go do. Stop thinking about stuff. Your brain is your worst enemy at times. Whatever it is, just go do it.

How do you know what would cure iZeezbruh's depression?

because someone who says "if i was depressed, double teaming a supermodel would fix me right up!" doesn't strike me as someone who understands the nuances of depression and what certain people go through.

it's really not that simple and in some cases someone like notch with a lot of money at their disposal might suffer even more knowing that they can't just buy their problem off.

megamerican

Given the way he talks about / to his former employees I'm wondering if his isolation has more to do with this temperament than it does his riches. I do hope he gets better.

I think the comparisons to Robin Williams are a little bit ridiculous. Williams was cash strapped from two divorces, was dealing with a devastating illness, as well as the cancellation of his show.

I mean come on.

Yeah... everything in this post shows you have no idea what depression is.

Overside

Banned
Scrape them off Markus.

You dont have to suddenly become a millionaire before you begin to realize most people are shit bags poorly disguised with ill fitting masks ready to come off without a moments notice.

Any manner of success will start bringing the true shitters out of the woodwork. And the more of it you see, the more of them you find you were surrounded with. Scrape them off.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It actually depends on your personal definition of happiness.

For myself money would absofuckinglutely equal happiness. It would equal the freedom to pursue whatever I wanted to without fear. It would mean freedom from the daily grind of a 8 to 5 job. I would have the time to actually teach myself to develop video games for a living, unlike now when my 50 hour a week job plus house upkeep / repairs / yardwork / etc that takes up so much of my time that I just can't fit it all in because I have bills to pay. With money I could pay other people to do those chores for me while I focus on what I WANT to do. Or, I could build myself a woodshop and make furniture for a living. What if my stuff didn't sell? Who cares, I'm set for life. I could do volunteer work around town because I'd be financially independent and wouldn't need to "work" ever again.

But then I wouldn't be the guy who goes and buys mansions either, hell I wouldn't even move at all, I love my house. I don't need a car for every day of the week, The fanciest thing I'd buy is probably a brand new Subaru Crosstrek. Just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it on toys or more junk, it can simply mean you are independent of the financial treadmill and free to do whatever you freakin want. If I got the urge to take my Harley on a two month road trip, no problem, I could do it. If I felt like taking four months to hike the Appalachian Trail, sure, why the hell not! If I simply wanted to sit at home and play WoW again to my heart's content, I'd be able to do it!

No offense to you, but this is what everyone without money thinks.

Everyone keeps throwing out Robin Williams, but Owen Wilson also tried to kill himself. He was a guy who really did seem to have everything he wanted and always played the happy fun guy in movies.

I mean come on.

What a disgusting post from someone who suffers from depression. I know that all the money in the world will not be the cure for my depressed moments. If you cant understand this, what hope do we have of non-affected people understanding depression?

Without knowing this girl at all and now only knowing Notch as a rich dude hanging out with celebrities, I want to project this:
The girl here is from that new world that Notch has entered. What the girl is afraid of is the baggage and origin of Notch's life style.
She thinks he's a nerd is what I'm saying, but I'm totally making it all up.

I assume he's talking about his ex-wife.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
No offense to you, but this is what everyone without money thinks.

Everyone keeps throwing out Robin Williams, but Owen Wilson also tried to kill himself. He was a guy who really did seem to have everything he wanted and always played the happy fun guy in movies.

Well, to be fair I wasn't speaking about depression per say, just the money doesn't buy happiness theme. All things considered if you are healthy mentally then I stand by my opinion that money CAN buy happiness. Clinical depression is a whole different ballgame.

Although, are we sure that Notch actually HAS depression, or is he simply unhappy with his new rich lifestyle?

Well, to be fair I wasn't speaking about depression per say, just the money doesn't buy happiness theme. All things considered if you are healthy mentally then I stand by my opinion that money CAN buy happiness. Clinical depression is a whole different ballgame.
Money just can't buy happiness in some easy manner. There are a number of studies that show that yes, wealth increases happiness...but only up until a certain threshold, after which point further increases in wealth do very little to increase your emotional well being. Some research even shows that too much wealth can actually be a negative impact on psychological well-being (like what seems to have happened to Notch). It's all part of the hedonic treadmill (aka hedonic adaptation).

Ultimately, what brings people lasting happiness is purpose, direction, and people they love around them. You really can't just buy those.
Although, are we sure that Notch actually HAS depression, or is he simply unhappy with his new rich lifestyle?
No one can be really sure he has depression based on a handful of tweets. He certainly could be, and given his unhappiness, it's certainly very possible that he could slip into depression if he hasn't already. The man certainly isn't in a good place right now (even if he said he was having a good day yesterday_, and I wish him all the best in finding what gives him lasting happiness.

diffusionx

Gold Member

It doesn't. It really doesn't. The human mind is a funny thing. I've seen this first hand. A rich person could have all the nice things in the world, no problem paying bills, etc. But the weird thing is, this stuff that consumes you when you don't have it ends up mattering very little when you do. It's just the default state. It doesn't actually make someone happy.

There are a million reasons for why this may be the case. I personally think this is due to just the way the person is wired. A person who is driven enough to become really successful isn't going to ever be satisfied or content because that drive never goes away. If anything they may become more unhappy because they realize that reaching that goal didn't bring the fulfillment they thought it would, or that a certain part of themselves thrived on being on the edge. And doing stuff like "traveling the world" gets old after a while.

Scrape them off Markus.

You dont have to suddenly become a millionaire before you begin to realize most people are shit bags poorly disguised with ill fitting masks ready to come off without a moments notice.

Any manner of success will start bringing the true shitters out of the woodwork. And the more of it you see, the more of them you find you were surrounded with. Scrape them off.

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; if you run into assholes all day you're the asshole.

Maybe Notch is the asshole.

jrDev

Man if I had that kind of money, I would move to somewhere secluded where no one knows me, grow my family, help the world anonymously, travel a lot and invest in the future for other people (provide jobs). He needs figure his life out to find stuff more fulfilling...

Wtf is he doing with his money, jeez?...

That's horse shit because Robin Williams didn't shy away from helping people or trying to bring joy. He would regularly call up Children's hospitals and do imitations of characters just to cheer kids up. Notch is partying in Ibiza and wondering why he's lonely. There's a big fucking difference.

I was using him as an example of mental health and wealth, not the EXACT CONDITIONS of Notch's situation.

Many people in this thread have assumed that just because someone has a ton of money, that they're totally cool upstairs or have the means to make it better. As I noted after my initial post, these sorts of things aren't an easy fix and throwing money at the problems doesn't always resolve them.

And sorry for the few days bump, work had me busy.

Overside

Banned
Man if I had that kind of money, I would move to somewhere secluded where no one knows me, grow my family, help the world anonymously, travel a lot and invest in the future for other people (provide jobs). He needs figure his life out to find stuff more fulfilling...

Wtf is he doing with his money, jeez?...

Exactly what he should be doing

scrooge-mcduck-money-swim-o.gif

smisk

LOL. He would be the biggest fool in the history of mankind if he did that. No one that has money like that ever would willingly give it all up.

George Lucas donated the $4bn he got from Disney to charity. To be fair he was already a multi-multi millionare before that deal even went down.

Septic360

Banned
Man it must be tough feeling so lost in wealth. Whilst I can't relate I can imagine it being fucking depressing and hollow, like you've been acquired this massive space and the sound of your wealth keeps echoing and bouncing off the walls and burying you in it.

Anyway, he needs to bring it down a level and try and chill with the family or watch Dragonball Z, Frieza saga.

That word. It does not mean what you think it means.

Also, serious depression isn't something you "had" and just get over. It is something you manage through medication or CBT likely for the rest of your life.
Thank you for that link, that was informative and I had no idea.

And yes serious (clinical) depression is something I had and got over after many, many years. Not every person will experience the same severity or length. I distinctly remember my turning point: my cousin slapped me because I would not leave my room and he asked me why do I like being sad and lonely and negative all the time and I told him, "Maybe I LIKE being negative all the time!" But of course I didn't, and it made me realize I do need to pick myself up and start getting out and meeting people and exercising and being a functional and normal person in society.

Bullshit. If you did, you wouldn't have even began to write that fuck knuckle comment.

Let me guess, you're the type of person who says "fuck boy" to people as an insult? Seriously, what on Earth is a "fuck knuckle comment"?

Apparently I was banned, so sorry I couldn't respond earlier, but I stand by my original comment.

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! You're super right. Also, watched Game of Thrones season one.
King Robert, anyone?

Ahh, I'm not a Game of Thrones guy. It took me months to watch Breaking Bad... and that was after the series finale. But, I'm glad you agree with me with The Great Gatsby comment.

I had this argument with my friends a few days ago. If they didn't exist and I had Notchtillion dollars, I would not be able to make any new friends. Because it's easy to treat someone to dinner with all of that money. But now, because of the amount of wealth you have, you have to spend it every time you hang out with someone. If you don't spend that money, people are going to think you're selfish and greedy, when all you want is for somebody to like you for you and not your money. And when you do use that money for lavish parties at your mansion by the docks, people are only going there for the party and not for you.

Of course, that's a generalization. But to assume that people won't take advantage of your 2 billion dollar net worth is ludicrous.

Top Bottom