• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

Blablurn

He just tweeted some worrying stuff

Markus Persson ‏@notch 26 Min.Vor 26 Minuten

The problem with getting everything is you run out of reasons to keep trying, and human interaction becomes impossible due to imbalance.

Markus Persson ‏@notch 24 Min.Vor 24 Minuten

Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated.

Markus Persson ‏@notch 23 Min.Vor 23 Minuten

In sweden, I will sit around and wait for my friends with jobs and families to have time to do shit, watching my reflection in the monitor.

Markus Persson ‏@notch 22 Min.Vor 22 Minuten

When we sold the company, the biggest effort went into making sure the employees got taken care of, and they all hate me now.

Markus Persson ‏@notch 21 Min.Vor 21 Minuten

Found a great girl, but she's afraid of me and my life style and went with a normal person instead.

Markus Persson ‏@notch 16 Min.Vor 16 Minuten

I would Musk and try to save the world, but that just exposes me to the same type of assholes that made me sell minecraft again.

Markus Persson @notch

People who made sudden success are telling me this is normal and will pass. That's good to know! I guess I'll take a shower then!

That one here was a talk with a former co worker:

Markus Persson @notch

@pgeuder like three people thanked me for the two million kronor after tax bonus i gave from my own private money. Others said I was cheap.

Patrick (パトリック) @pgeuder

@notch That seem way too few of us to me. I mostly hated you for leaving, but that was only during the shock, you know that <3

Markus Persson
@notch

@pgeuder i do not know that, nobody reached out and said it was just initial shock. So fuck all of you. Fuck you so hard.

---

I hope he will be fine.

Guymelef

Woody-Harrelson.jpg

I am greatly concerned for the mental wellbeing of anyone who throws away hundreds of thousands of dollars on roulette tables every night, yes.

SJRB

Gold Member
Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated.

O for fucks sake.

StayDead

Just shows that money really doesn't buy you happiness.With Minecraft, it was only when Jebb got involved that the game got interesting for me in a serious way so I always held some content towards Notch for benefitting off of other peoples hard work, but I guess that's just the nature of life.

I mean I don't really care what Notch gets up to in his private time, but he as well as anyone else deserves happiness and hopefully he can find it soon. It seems if anything he regrets taking that huge payoff from Microsoft as all it's done has isolated him from his family and friends, so maybe he might donate it all to charity and start again or something.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'll never understand why he got a mansion in a city of famous people. Why is he trying to join that clique instead of hanging out with people like himself?

I can't have been easy to have the entirety of Mojang suddenly hate you, after having worked closely with them for years. Probably doesn't reflect well within the Swedish (and Nordic) development community.

Just shows that money really doesn't buy you happiness.With Minecraft, it was only when Jebb got involved that the game got interesting for me in a serious way so I always held some content towards Notch for benefitting off of other peoples hard work, but I guess that's just the nature of life.

I mean I don't really care what Notch gets up to in his private time, but he as well as anyone else deserves happiness and hopefully he can find it soon. It seems if anything he regrets taking that huge payoff from Microsoft as all it's done has isolated him from his family and friends, so maybe he might donate it all to charity and start again or something.

LOL. He would be the biggest fool in the history of mankind if he did that. No one that has money like that ever would willingly give it all up.

Nokterian

Essentially this, unfortunately. Seems he's heading into a depressive spiral.

It is pretty simple really i do not have much money but i am more than happy with my life to be honest. And seeing this melt down from notch? I thought it would happen sooner or later and he thought his employees would be happy after he left? Off course not you're leaving everyone behind with no direction.

That lifestyle is probably a major system shock. Everyone who used to be friends resents you for your money, all your new friends only love you for access into that lifestyle. I actually hope he finds peace with it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
He can't just give the money away. People won't forget that he got billions.

Even if he only drew a regular Swedish salary he would still forever be known as the billionaire and would be treated that way.

You can't undo the past. I wish him luck with sorting out his life.

The M.O.B

I'll never understand why he got a mansion in a city of famous people. Why is he trying to join that clique instead of hanging out with people like himself?

There isn't anyone like him. His friends are busy working their 9-5 job and going home to their families after work in their small house.

Has he ever shown interest in starting (or being part of) an indie start up and pumping out some interesting games? He's got the capital and collaborating with people for experimenting can lead to interesting things.

The idea he had for that space game he was working on (0x10c) was super interesting to me as a programmer myself with the fantasy computer DCPU-16. I still want to see that happen. It was so much fun delving into the community at the time with the specs and writing the emulator based off the specs, etc.

Wait, why does his former employees hate him?

I can't have been easy to have the entirety of Mojang suddenly hate you, after having worked closely with them for years. Probably doesn't reflect well within the Swedish (and Nordic) development community.

What the fuck? Where did this all come from? Does this have to do with the sale of Minecraft?

Hip Hop

That lifestyle is probably a major system shock. Everyone who used to be friends resents you for your money, all your new friends only love you for access into that lifestyle. I actually hope he finds peace with it.

Pretty much how I feel about the situation.

Kalor

He's had some really interesting game ideas in the past so it would be cool to see him try to develop them into something. It sounds like he doesn't do much programming anymore so it might help distract him.

Hopefully he's able to find some peace at some point.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
He can't just give the money away. People won't forget that he got billions.

Even if he only drew a regular Swedish salary he would still forever be known as the billionaire and would be treated that way.

You can't undo the past. I wish him luck with sorting out his life.

He can pull a Bill Gates and make a massive contribution towards something that legitimately improves the world, and in the process leaves him just ordinary rich rather than filthy stinking

patapuf

Oh fuck off. Talk about a first world problem.

It obviously is, but he is still unhappy.

I find this notion weird that rich people can't be unhappy because they can afford everything. Especially with all the tabloids and such detailing us everyday what train wrecks so many of them become.

It's almost as if you need more than money to be happy. Not that i pity Notch, he'll be fine.

Everyone has problems. I wager most people encounter feelings of loneliness or emptiness at some point in their life. To tell you the truth, there's not much to see here. Just a regular human venting out on social media, hoping to get attention, just like a lot of people have done before him. The only difference between this person and most other people is that this person is somewhat famous. Why worry for him when we could worry for millions and millions of people with bigger problems?

HariKari

It obviously is, but he is still unhappy.

I find this notion weird that rich people can't be unhappy because they can afford everything. Especially with all the tabloids and such detailing us everyday what train wrecks so many of them become.

It's almost as you need more than money to be happy. Not that i pity Notch, he'll be fine.

Above 100k, you don't get any happier.

The amount of money Notch has can distract him for awhile, but it basically throws him into total isolation. Everything changes.

nib95

Banned
He needs to keep himself occupied with a new project perhaps. But honestly if it was me and I was as fortunate as him financially, I'd do lots of humanitarian and charity work. And no I don't mean just giving my money away, but actually going out there and doing front line work. Setting up schools, villages, orphanages, shelters, wells, water filtration systems, re building infrastructure and everything else, around the world. How blessed would it be to have so much money that you could spend so much of your time helping others, and never having to worry about your own bills, expenses and financial commitments? He can still squeeze in plenty of time for his hobbies and social life, but at least it'd be a more worthwhile, impactful and lasting way to spend your time.

daninthemix

Yeah I can imagine this being a problem - all your human interactions change, because either you suspect everyone is only interested in you because of your money, or they actually are.

lostcauz

I know he gave bonuses from his own pockets but that equates to £153,600 to each person, really, that is being cheap.

Top Bottom