• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

Dascu

Perhaps he can scale down his lifestyle, go back to a normal existence and put all his wealth in charity.

Or set up a kind of indie-fund to help other developers.

barit

I don't think he regrets selling Minecraft or getting the money, I think he regrets creating Minecraft. I'm pretty sure I've seen him express that.
Saly, he now finds himself in this situation where he'll never be "the guy next door" with a "normal" life and doesn't want to be the rich famous guy because that lifestyle just doesn't suit him. I feel so bad for him :(

Sorry but that is bullshit. He can have any "normal" life he wants. Nobody forces him to buy big mansions and party with celebs on Ibiza. I bet there are spots on this earth where no one gives a fuck about him. He can move there and live in a small appartment and working on his next indie hit if it's that what he wants. Or like another poster in here said. Travel around the world and do good things with your money like building schools, hospitals and so on. It's all his choice.

Sounds rough. Minecraft will live forever, dude probably feels like he's hit his peak. Maybe after he cancelled that sci-fi game he was working on he felt he couldn't start something new.

Seems to me that he needs to find passion again. Maybe try out a buncha game jams. Idle hands are the devil's playthings.

cyba89

He can live like someone making 50k a year and it won't matter. Everyone knows him, and knows that he has that money. It's one search away if they don't already. That changes every interaction he has.

I don't think his appearance is so well known outside of the gaming industry. He's not a hollywood actor or popstar, he's a game developer.
I doubt he has problems with paparazzi or crazy stalker fans.

It should not be too hard for him to move out of the spotlight.
Of course this might not be the ultimate solution if he really suffers from depression but it can't hurt either.

A lot of ignorance in this thread.

Um yeah, i'm actually a little disgusted. Millions of dollars is the cure to depression guys! Someone call Robin Willaims. Him exposing himself like this on twitter is a little revealing, he must be having seriously isolating thoughts. As someone in therapy, i hope he reaches out to someone who can help.

I suffer from depression, and for a long time I didn't recognise the signs. I'm on medication now and even sometimes I still feel the anxiety creeping in due to concerns about my health.

Notch needs to speak to someone. And really speak to someone not just throw money at someone or a lifestyle and expect the problem to go away.

FStop7

Banned
Hanging out in ibiza with a bunch of friends and partying with famous people, able to do whatever I want, and I've never felt more isolated.

Go to one of the most shallow places in the world with people who don't actually give a shit about you and you feel isolated.

Given his personality type he should stay well away from places like Ibiza until he's a little more grounded.

Stuart444

I thought about posting something dickish about how he has lots of money, he'll be fine or something like that (okay I guess I did post it) but my family does have a history with depression and I've known others who have suffered from depression so I guess I should try to be more sympathetic.

Even so I'm not sure what can be said, I mean I'm not worried about him and wouldn't worry about him (I don't know him personally or interacted with him after all) unless he started posting suicidal stuff which I would worry about obviously. I'd hate for anyone who is depressed to start considering stuff like that ://

So I guess the only thing I really have to say and I hope Notch sees this or someone else tells him this but he has a shit load of cash. Maybe he should use some of that money to speak to someone professional about his depression. He could afford the best psychiatrists in the world and that might help him.

People talk about how mental health issues are a real problem (and depression is a mental health issue) and Notch has the money to do something about it. He just has to walk to do something (besides tweeting) about it.

That's all I really have to say on this topic.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I suffer from depression, and for a long time I didn't recognise the signs. I'm on medication now and even sometimes I still feel the anxiety creeping in due to concerns about my health.

Notch needs to speak to someone. And really speak to someone not just throw money at someone or a lifestyle and expect the problem to go away.

This.

He should really seek professional help.

Whatever happened to his real friends and family? He should go back to them instead of partying with other rich and famous people. That'll help with depression.

HariKari

I don't think his appearance is so well known outside of the gaming industry. He's not a hollywood actor or popstar, he's a game developer.
I doubt he has problems with paparazzi or crazy stalker fans.

Right, but he's a public figure of sorts. His identity is out there for everyone to see, as is the amount of money he potentially has. That shades every interaction he has with people. I suppose he could move somewhere where he isn't known and use a different name, but that's no way to live.

Whatever happened to his real friends and family? He should go back to them instead of partying with other rich and famous people. That'll help with depression.

If you look at lottery winners as an example, family are often the first people to turn against someone with newly found wealth.

Guymelef

He can live like someone making 50k a year and it won't matter. Everyone knows him, and knows that he has that money. It's one search away if they don't already. That changes every interaction he has. He knows he has access to that money too. Even if he gave it all away, he would have known never wanting for anything.

He doesn't seem super enthused about the game industry. Who can blame him? He needs to find a passion or something rewarding outside of the industry.

I bet you show Minecon assistants a photo of him and 90% won't know who is him.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it removes all obstacles to happiness if you spend it properly. People who wonder why they're not happy when they just go out partying with celebrities need to use their head. Go travelling. See the world. Learn new skills. Go parachuting, scuba diving, bungee-jumping, absolutely anything. The world is your plaything, yet so many rich people just go out drinking at nightclubs. So boring and thoughtless.
Said it better than I could have

lazygecko

That lifestyle is probably a major system shock. Everyone who used to be friends resents you for your money, all your new friends only love you for access into that lifestyle. I actually hope he finds peace with it.

It's pretty off-putting how people will abandon any empathy just because you have a lot of money. It's so shallow and narrow-minded, and just a lack of understanding of how human beings work, to believe rich people don't "deserve" to have problems with depression and the likes. This seems all too common with people who weren't born into wealth.

chiimisu

It actually somehow cracks me up that some billionaire guy receives more sympathy for his undoubtedly severe depression than I had in my whole life. Ah well.

lostcauz

Some people have to work for 10 years straight to get that kind of money. And this was just a bonus.

What kind of world are you living in where that's 'being cheap'?

In the everyday world, that bonus would be more than fantastic but when one guy has made £1.3b in a small company where the staff helped him get that money, I'd expect him to give up more. Wouldn't you give more in the same situation?

Spyware

Wow, so being lonely isn't a problem if you have money? I'd rather have friends than money and I think that goes for most people. And I'm even more introverted than Notch.

Money for medicine/therapy doesn't always help either . I get basically free help since I live in Sweden, and even tho I've seen therapists for 10 years and tried lots of meds there's no change for the better so far. It's actually just getting worse. The "help" doesn't always work. People shouldn't speak about depression if they've never had it.

Ah, well that's a shame. He should still get back into development somehow. Maybe form an indie studio or a bunch of indie studios and spend his free time working with other developers instead. Money will never bring him happiness, it's what he does with it which might.
If he puts his name on something people will balem him for everything bad. It's what made him bail out before. He wasn't responsible at all for Minecraft for years but still got all the hate. He'll probably never be able to get away from it and since he can't stand it (people will just say that he needs a thicker skin and they are silly) it's not really an option, it seems. :/

daTRUballin

Geez. Sounds like he's depressed. :/

Should've probably never sold Minecraft......then again, he probably would still have the same problems either way.

T.O.P

Banned
That lifestyle is probably a major system shock. Everyone who used to be friends resents you for your money, all your new friends only love you for access into that lifestyle. I actually hope he finds peace with it.

That's how i see it, hope he gets some kind of help

Anticol

Banned
This is just an incredible comment to make.

A lack of empathy is a terrible human trait to have.

Not lack of empathy, but selling the company was his decision and yes I understand his isolation problem, but compared to a lot of other problems to have is not the worst one.

Also people quoting my "white people" problems, I am referring to what it is refereed as that, not saying every white person has the same problems or assuming so.

Hip Hop

You make it sound easy, but I don't think it would be so after gaining a billion dollars all of a sudden. A lot of people will start to look at you weird I'm sure, including family with all that money. Everything changes.

You can already see that with his ex-employees.

Well when you make a 10 figure amount from selling your company and the people he worked with were probably his friends, you would expect he would give each of them a couple of million. Does he need £1.3B for himself?

You know what most people get when a buyout occurs? A terminated contract.

They shouldn't expect anything. They are employees who get paid a salary, they do not have any ownership of IP and aren't entitled to anything, they did not create Minecraft and are easily replaceable in an industry that has a high turnover of staff.

The bonus is very generous and if they were unhappy then they can give that money back to Notch as he didn't have to do anything. If they are self motivated people the money they got should be more than enough to set-up and do their own thing or invest and make more money.

NotLiquid

The Hotline Miami developers have expressed a similar sentiment toward the whole "newfound wealth and fame" phenomenon. Hell if I recall correctly even Jake Kaufman made a tweet or so about how he was depressed at the time in spite of the high praise he was receiving for Shovel Knight's soundtrack.

I don't know why there's a societal undercurrent of fame and money being somehow being a viable substitute for people who have a vulnerable state of mind. It's even being expressed in this thread, and that's kind of shitty. It takes having to get to that point in order to properly empathize for so many, and the idea that having money, or being able to coast off of life difficulties easier puts you in a happier state of mind is an incredibly flawed one. No matter how much money you have you're still human.

It's lonelier at the top than most people realize.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
He's just going through the standard "I don't have anything meaningful to do" stage. I did that when I didn't have a job for 3 months but was still able to pay rent and the like. It's such an outwardly asinine thing to complain about but the feelings are real. Should anyone feel bad for Notch? Don't think so. Is he some kind of validated in his own emotions? Sure. The solution is to start doing something meaningful. Whatever that may be.

The backlash from his former employees, friends, and the Internet, surely doesn't help though. THAT is something non-standard.

Jhn

I'm having problems feeling sorry for the guy.
Yes yes, everyone can get depressed, mental health and loneliness does not care how much money you have, etc. I know. It sucks. I'm on board with all of that.

But for him to publicly whine about how "hard his life is" and act like he's not in an obscenely much better position than almost everyone else on earth is just grating. It's insulting to people who feel like shit for real reasons. He just comes of as a petulant child.

Numb

Thought he was feeling alittle down and didn't care but people actually believe that depression is free from the rich in here. Dang.
His problems might seem small compared to yours but they are still problems he can't overcome no matter how rich he is.

Add me to the "boo-fucking-hoo" crowd.

If he does feel depressed then he should seek proper help, not be spilling his guts and seeking attention on Twitter.

lostcauz

2 miljoner kronor would certainly be a lot of money for me, and even open up new possibilities in life. He wasn't cheap, it's people that are greedy.

It'd be a lot of money for all of us but he could've set his colleagues up for life. Why isn't Notch being greedy for not sharing more with them, he spent £45m on a house, he's not afraid to splash his cash.

HariKari

In the everyday world, that bonus would be more than fantastic but when one guy has made £1.3b in a small company where the staff helped him get that money, I'd expect him to give up more. Wouldn't you give more in the same situation?

Thing is, if people he was formerly close with and considered friends started clamoring for money and calling him cheap, where do you draw the line? Wouldn't you find that offensive? Would you suddenly want to give those people a lot of money?

He is not sad because he has money. You'd think people would know depression is a serious issues regardless of success or money

If he does have issues, the fact he is vocalizing them, and not keeping everything internal is at least a plus point.though.

Might as well use this graph again...

HY46MvT.jpg

It actually somehow cracks me up that some billionaire guy receives more sympathy for his undoubtedly severe depression than I had in my whole life. Ah well.

Its because he is famous and made a game where you need to play 1000 hours to build something and then burn it down.

He should try burning down his money. That would be hilarious.

But seriously... No sympathy for him. There are people living on the street and in need for money or they die. And he sits there and cries that he has too much. The first world problems some jerks are having is getting out of hand.

MrBadger

It's a shame he's not happy, but I imagine he's still adjusting to being filthy stinking rich. He should get a hobby or start a business or something. I imagine the temptation to just not bother doing anything because he's rich anyway is what's leading him to just do nothing and get depressed.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
honestly it seems like he tried to 'live the life' way too quickly. buying a huge mansion in LA etc. etc. suddenly hanging out with celebrities. i don't know why you'd do that if you suddenly became a billionaire.

Top Bottom