• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do we have to worry about Notch?

ec0ec0

Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it removes all obstacles to happiness if you spend it properly. People who wonder why they're not happy when they just go out partying with celebrities need to use their head. Go travelling. See the world. Learn new skills. Go parachuting, scuba diving, bungee-jumping, absolutely anything. The world is your plaything, yet so many rich people just go out drinking at nightclubs. So boring and thoughtless.

this so much. The last thing that i would think about if i had infinite money would be to go to a nightclub.

Fractal

Banned
Eh, the personal issues of some random game developer are hardly any of my concern. Hope he sorts them out, but it's hardly a reason for me to be worried.

nib95

Banned
It actually somehow cracks me up that some billionaire guy receives more sympathy for his undoubtedly severe depression than I had in my whole life. Ah well.

Because he's famous and in the public spot light. Naturally his issues will gain greater coverage and awareness, that doesn't mean that if more people knew about your own personal issues they'd have any less sympathy.

pa22word

I can sort of sympathize. I started out of HS with not a dime in my pocket and through my own ambition and hardwork basically carved out a position in my company faster than anyone else has in its history, and vastly below what's average for my industry, and I'm now the "boss" of people who were my bosses when I started and several steps removed from the friends who I made when I was on the initial rungs of the ladder. It's a huge culture shock, because all your old buddies silently resent you for having that power over them and all your old authority figures went from being ahead of you, to at your level, to below you, and neither you nor them really know how to handle it very well. I suspect Notch is going to have to do what I eventually did in that I just had to move on from it all and carve out a new set of people at my current level of expertise to hang around with (or for him, money level) while retaining the friends of yore who are mature enough to be able to handle your change on the rungs of society.

DJKhaled

There are some real asshole in this thread, I will never understand the people that trivialise rich people being depressed. It's true money doesn't buy happiness.

Beefy

Some of the posts on this thread are disgusting. Depression can hit any one at anytime, it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor or black or white. I get he has money so could pay for therapy etc but depressed people don't always think that way. People seem to think that because he is loaded and has a crazy lifestyle he can't feel lonely or be depressed which is wrong. I hope Notch gets help and I hope some of you start showing a little more empathy towards a fellow human being who clearly isn't in a good place right now.

Not lack of empathy, but selling the company was his decision and yes I understand his isolation problem, but compared to a lot of other problems to have is not the worst one.

Also people quoting my "white people" problems, I am referring to what it is refereed as that, not saying every white person has the same problems or assuming so.

No, I'm sorry. That doesn't hold up, should we only show empathy to poor people with depression, what's the maximum salary someone can make before you don't show empathy but rather disdain to the troubles they maybe facing?

Depression and mental illness isn't something you choose and after experiencing it first hand with my mum (we were relatively comfortable), I ca see that it can literally affect anyone.

This thread has been an eye opener to the ignorance that many people have about issues that can affect anyone in all walks of life.

Ban Puncher

I have suffered crippling depression for most of my life and the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is that I might get to make fun of a big, fat billionaire cry baby who cannot even muster the smallest of effort into helping himself and instead has a whine on social media.

Oberon

Banned
Some of you have no sympathy, damn.
Depression is a serious thing, I hope he can get out of it.

Some people have to deal with depression AND poverty.
Of course I wish depression upon nobody because it's awful, but I have a hard time feeling real sympathy for a person who in the end is in a better position than I am.
I don't know much about Notch and I don't know if he's done something like this or not, but sometimes rich people use their weilth to help others like giving money to various charities.

Spyware

Whatever happened to his real friends and family? He should go back to them instead of partying with other rich and famous people. That'll help with depression.
He's an introverted guy who couldn't get friends in school, turned to the computer instead. Didn't even finish school. Family with drug problems (his dad killed himself).
I bet most people he met in his life he met through Minecraft. Notch has "friends", Markus might not have any great ones.

Also people quoting my "white people" problems, I am referring to what it is refereed as that, not saying every white person has the same problems or assuming so.

What does that even mean? You're saying you're calling it a "white people" problem because it is a "white people" problem even though it's not a "white people" problem because other people refer to it as a "white people" problem?

So basically you're racist but you don't even get why? Not that it has freaking anything to do with anything in either case.

Literally no one posting in this thread can ever complain about anything, ever. Seeing as you likely live in a developed nation, have access to the internet and all that you're better off than the majority of people on earth. You can't complain about being depressed, there are people in Africa who literally have nothing...

I hope you realise how stupid you sound, anyone can suffer from depression, show some fucking compassion.

There are some real asshole in this thread, I will never understand the people that trivialise rich people being depressed. It's true money doesn't buy happiness.

No, but it helps and having a ton of cash does give you some security in life... which is a hell of a lot more than a lot of people have in this world.

At least he doesn't have to worry about where the next meal is coming from to feed his kids.

Hip Hop

I have suffered crippling depression for most of my life and the only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is that I might get to make fun of a big, fat billionaire cry baby who cannot even muster the smallest of effort into helping himself and instead has a whine on social media.

You have experienced this, and yet you attack the guy and make fun of it.

crazy.

Symphonia

Banned
All those mocking him for what could potentially be a serious mental health issue should be ashamed. Being rich does not mean you'll be happy. Switch positions and imagine you were him for a second, trying to reach out to people for help. But instead of help, all you get is ridicule. It's sickening.

Mental health issues are not to be made light of, regardless of whether you like him or not.

pa22word

Also, another thing people are missing is that Notch might have been depressed before his sudden wealth, and now the sudden loss of his support structure due to the change in social status is now magnifying his underlying condition.

Depression is a nasty mistress to have to take to bed with you every night, and I hope those of you shitting on Notch right now never have to deal with it.

kAmui-

Literally no one posting in this thread can ever complain about anything, ever. Seeing as you likely live in a developed nation, have access to the internet and all that you're better off than the majority of people on earth. You can't complain about being depressed, there are people in Africa who literally have nothing...

I hope you realise how stupid you sound, anyway can suffer from depression, show some fucking compassion.

This post nails it. Some really horrible posts in this thread.

Red

Either from ignorance or regular old internet cruelty, a lot of you are making yourselves look like fools.

If you look at lottery winners as an example, family are often the first people to turn against someone with newly found wealth.

That's.. even more depressing.

If he puts his name on something people will balem him for everything bad. It's what made him bail out before. He wasn't responsible at all for Minecraft for years but still got all the hate. He'll probably never be able to get away from it and since he can't stand it (people will just say that he needs a thicker skin and they are silly) it's not really an option, it seems. :/
I didn't think it'll be that bad. Though he could just fund teams and not work with them maybe? Oversee their work and just be an adviser if nothing else. A routine life is very important to get out of depression.

You make it sound easy, but I don't think it would be so after gaining a billion dollars all of a sudden. A lot of people will start to look at you weird I'm sure, including family with all that money. Everything changes.

You can already see that with his ex-employees.
It isn't easy but it's supposed to be your first step when you're suffering with depression of any kind, to talk with people who know you for who you are. It's a shame though how quick people turn with just money, I don't want to become suddenly rich anymore. @__@

He's an introverted guy who couldn't get friends in school, turned to the computer instead. Didn't even finish school. Family with drug problems (his dad killed himself).
I bet most people he met in his life he met through Minecraft. Notch has "friends", Markus might not have any great ones.

Well, TIL. I never thought it was that bad. Always thought Notch was a fun guy with a decent life. Then again I only thought him as 'Notch', guess that explains it.

geordiemp

Woody-Harrelson.jpg

Dat first post

DeaviL

Banned
His problem is that societies big goal for life is making enough money to live life and getting rich.
It has no goals beyond that because this is unattainable for most people.

People who are born rich usually don't have this problem as they learn to set their own goals in life when growing up,
unlike others who's goal is usually the major one that society has made up for them.

I still find myself lacking some empathy for cases like this though.

Lucreto

Create a new company and go back to making games using his own money and donate all profits to charity.

It would give him something to do, create jobs and help the less fortunate.

mhayze

I'll never understand why he got a mansion in a city of famous people. Why is he trying to join that clique instead of hanging out with people like himself?
Same reason all rich people in Europe move - minimal to no taxes vs. 50%+ taxes?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All those mocking him for what could potentially be a serious mental health issue should be ashamed. Being rich does not mean you'll be happy. Switch positions and imagine you were him for a second, trying to reach out to people for help. But instead of help, all you get is ridicule. It's sickening.

Mental health issues are not to be made light of, regardless of whether you like him or not.
But who on twitter can help him? He should be seeking professional help.

Par Score

The only worry I generally have about Billionaires is how to most effectively redistribute their wealth to those who need it most.

The compassion you have for a fellow sufferer of depression is really quite revealing.

Heartfyre

Just because some others have it worse doesn't invalidate his own problems. I'm despairing over some of the posts in this thread. I just hope a lack of world experience is the root of such ignorance, because at least that is only a temporary problem.

I'm glad Markus chose to voice his feelings, and I hope it leads to a solution for himself. He undeniably has a lot of room for opportunity.

giapel

No one knows what it feels like to be depressed? That money doesn't really buy happiness past a certain level isn't a well studied phenomenon?

No, the point is that no one knows why he's depressed, how it felt for him personally to have such a big change in his life etc.
Saying that he's depressed because he got rich is simplifying it to much.

DJKhaled

Some people have to deal with depression AND poverty.

Oh come the fuck on, I hate that lame "oh someone out there has it worse" shit, I am upper middle class but I still cry most of the day and can't leave my house because of my OCD, I guess you can trivialise that because I'm not a starving kid in Africa.

Stuart444

this so much. The last thing that i would think about if i had infinite money would be to go to a nightclub.

If I had infinite money, I'd just continue living like I do now. I just wouldn't have to worry about money ever again.

Always baffles me when I see people who win the lottery (or something) and then try to see how quickly they can piss away the money.

But that's just me...

Let's be honest. Nobody here knows what it's like so don't try to give "advice"

To be rich? No but I'm sure some people here know what it's like to have depression (as in be diagnosed with it).

Saying "Nobody here" is a pretty big generalization, just as much as the people who think "Depression = Sadness thus they need to cheer up" is a big generalization and doesn't really help things.

He is not sad because he has money. You'd think people would know depression is a serious issues regardless of success or money

If he does have issues, the fact he is vocalizing them, and not keeping everything internal is at least a plus point.though.

Might as well use this graph again...

HY46MvT.jpg

My depression came from a mix of imposter syndrome at work, health problems which I thought were cancer due to a horrible doctor and family history and my moods were low enough that I'd start crying and fearing death. I spent about a year with a counsellor talking about problems before going on citalopram and that was back in April. I'm doing better these days but I still have weird shut going on with my body that would cripple me emotionally and mentally if not for the chemical help.

This graph is accurate as fuck.

Sadist

Some shortsighted posts here.

Seeing those tweets it seems Notch is facing the downside of being rich; people only interested in your status, your money and you as a person? Who cares? Guess that Works sobering on your World view. The girl walking away sucks too.

Hope he can get out of his funk

Numb

I hope you realise how stupid you sound, anyway can suffer from depression, show some fucking compassion.

My fav thing. Was one of those people but never was depressed. I have seen and talked to people who were depressed and didn't have a bad life but it was horrible seeing it. Thinking that having material stuff makes you happy is dumb.

I'm not going to show compassion to an individual because of a few melancholy tweets. I don't know anything about his mental state and I assume all of the people guilting others to force some sympathy don't either.

Depression is a real mental condition and I can't help but feel people are trivialising it by assuming it can be diagnosed by a few tweets.

Zomba13

Honestly I would rather be lonely and isolated but also rich and never have to work another day in my life than be lonely isolated and poor stuck working terrible jobs that I hate with people I don't like while my friends have all moved away to better places with good jobs and friends that make them happy.

At least with millions I could buy whatever I want and spend my time doing anything.

Top Bottom