• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see Titanfall or Destiny as huge FPS franchises by the end of this gen?

Kazerei

Banned
Hmm, I'd like to see how COD Advanced Warfare and Battlefield Hardline fare before I answer. I think a lot of people felt burned by Ghosts and BF4 and are turning away from those franchises. If the next iterations fail to reignite these two established FPS franchises, it will be much easier for the new FPSs to break through.

Exile20

Hmm, I'd like to see how COD Advanced Warfare and Battlefield Hardline fare before I answer. I think a lot of people felt burned by Ghosts and BF4 and are turning away from those franchises. If the next iterations fail to reignite these two established FPS franchises, it will be much easier for the new FPSs to break through.

I felt burnt by BF3/4 and Hardline felt like a mod in the beta. So I am done with BF which is a disappointment for me cause I was a BF fan.

foxbeldin

I see neither achieving that.

Destiny : too many people are disappointed, especially by the way they feel the game was partially emptied from it's content just to be sold in DLCs.

Titanfall : It shoudn't have gone exclusive. It stopped it from becoming a widely appreciated IP. I fear it's too late for Titanfall 2 to change that.

Honestly, I think both of those games are on a razor's edge of which way they could go with a sequel.

Both need to listen to their criticisms and expand upon what made their first game good, leave the bad.

FeD.nL

They both have the solid foundation that can be built upon. Both Destiny and Titanfall have good mechanics. Destiny is going to be the Assassin's Creed of this gen with part 2 being a massive improvement with just more stuff in it.

Titanfall still has a lot of potential. I hope the devs take a look at the Crossing. They really have the foundation to integrate single with multiplayer. Just think of it in SP you are an operative that has to infiltrate a building to extract a VIP but the first part of the mission is you going undercover, as for the other players an npc, through a mp match. You get your objective to open up a gate or something (just simple for now) and since you can't blow your cover you just get a non lethal weapon so you can't really interfere with the match. Nevertheless you do experience the thrill of a mp match while doing your own thing. Then when you complete your objective and enter the building and the game continues as you fight the AI and progress through the story.

Furthermore not launching on the PS4 might be a blessing since they can just deliver the new improved experience to a whole other group.

antitrop

Titanfall : It shoudn't have gone exclusive. It stopped it from becoming a widely appreciated IP. I fear it's too late for Titanfall 2 to change that.

Doesn't really make any sense, because if Microsoft hadn't partially funded development of the game, EA almost assuredly would have cancelled it.

Destiny yes, Titanfall no. Despite complaints people are still playing Destiny and plenty more have been loving it since day 1, no one really talks about Titanfall anymore. I have always felt there was something about Destiny that gave it staying power (regardless if I liked it or not) Titanfall never stuck me as anything special.

MilesTeg

Banned
I think Titanfall 2 could be big. Release it on PS4/Xbone/PC, no last gen. Ditch the AI bots. I haven't played the game so I might be off base here, but maybe take a clue from CoD's smaller maps which leads to more consistent action (someone please correct me if the maps are already small). Add a single player/co-op campaign. Most importantly, get the game running at a stable 60fps.

SURGEdude

Titanfall? Maybe as a multi. But Destiny is DOA unless they pull off a miracle with #2. The word of mouth is just terrible and hype won't save a sequel.

I'm late to the party on actually getting around to playing Titanfall, but that game feels pretty great. It recaptured what I felt when COD4 came out. It deserves more success. Hopefully EA/Microsoft/whoever don't have cold feet about investing in future installments.

I would say no, but I said the same thing after Assassins Creed, then AC II came along and proved me wrong since it was a major improvement in almost every area.

Both games will no doubt have sequels (Destiny we know, and I'd say Activision will give Titanfall one multiplatform sequel to see if it fairs any better) so I think they'll be the real deciders.

antitrop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMW1uSuivAo
It's much deeper than people give it credit for. Often it feels like playing an FPS and a rhythm game at the same time (in order to maintain full speed in movement).
Titanfall makes Advanced Warfare look like last year's CoD. Makes sense that Advanced Warfare MP looks like a less complex, extremely basic version of Titanfall. CoD crowd should eat it up.

AW's SP campaign looks interesting, but no way I would think about putting any real time in that MP after getting down with Titanfall.

w00zey

Doesn't really make any sense, because if Microsoft hadn't partially funded development of the game, EA almost assuredly would have cancelled it.

This is what I don't get. I thought that is pretty much what came out about it after launch. Now maybe it is untrue but people taking their word for it Titanfall probably would have never happenrd otherwise. Yet people want to keep saying EA or Microsoft did something wrong.

antitrop

This is what I don't get. I thought that is pretty much what came out about it after launch. Now maybe it is untrue but people taking their word for it Titanfall probably would have never happenrd otherwise. Yet people want to keep saying EA or Microsoft did something wrong.

My source for that statement is Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of Titanfall.

Respawn had a considerable amount of complications during development, even though they were founded in early 2010 and it was 4 years until Titanfall was released, very little of that was actually spent developing the game. The Activision lawsuit wasn't even settled until mid-2012.

Between the West/Zampella drama (West's bullheadedness significantly held back progress on development of the game, cutting the cord on him was probably the best thing that could have happened to Titanfall) and the Activision lawsuit, it's pretty amazing that Titanfall was ever even released at all.

That doesn't let them off the hook for those that feel like Titanfall was underbaked with a significant "lack of content", but at least there's some explanation behind it.

Putting all that drama behind them also bodes very well for development of Titanfall 2. People who say something like "Titanfall 2 will be what Titanfall 1 should have been" would be pretty close to the mark on that one.

All we know that Respawn is working on right now is a non-Titanfall IP with Stig Asmussen. (Character action game with the other Respawn SSM vets?)

Gorillaz

I don't get the whole DOA talk of Destiny. Acclaim wise, yea it wasn't as big as we hoped but the sales have been still going strong for these past weeks.

There is a good chance it pulls a Diablo 3 and even makes a turn around series wise that Assassins Creed 2 did.

TsuWave

i see destiny being major. i mean the game is flawed but i can't stop playing it

titanfall will likely got multiplatform and be successful but to a lesser extent imo

Plainsong

I'd say yes for Destiny. It needs to be better though and I'm pretty sure they will improve it a lot down the line.

Titanfall not so sure. It's a blast but...well...that's it. Dunno, maybe.

Titanfall not so sure. It's a blast but...well...that's it. Dunno, maybe.
I have the same feeling for Titanfall. Played a lot in the first couple of months, then the DLC was disapointing. I play a lot of Destiny and I feel by the Advance Warfare and Halo Collection launch, the population will decrease a lot. The core gameplay of Titanfall is awesome but there's not enough content even including DLCs.

In "The Final Hours of Titanfall", it's pretty clear that if Microsoft didn't joined the game would have been cancelled.

Orayn

I recognize most of Titanfall's shortcomings. It's not a technical marvel, some people burn out on it really fast, the amount of content it shipped with was questionable, and it didn't deliver the genre-redefining "next-gen" experience some were hoping for...

But that said, it is so good. The parkour, the infantry vs. mech premise, the sound and art direction, the general feel of the game, they're all phenomenal. When things are going well, e.g. you're in a populated playlist and teams are balanced, it's just such an incredible game to play. Yes, the disappointment is real for some people, but there's a reason it's still one of the most played games on Xbox One. Plenty of people really like Titanfall for the reasons I mentioned.

If a sequel could greatly improve on the technical aspects, push that basic premise just a little bit farther, and add in a few more "hooks" like metagame stuff or real support for competitive play, I think we'd be talking about a game that people would really love and remember. Whenever I think about Respawn, I cross my fingers and hope that they're working on that game right now.

no one really talks about Titanfall anymore.

Ok, and Titanfall is over 6 months old and it's prob number 2 or 3 most played game on Xbox One right now. Found a game of CTF within a second, full 6v6. Half the people were new to the game. Destiny has been out less than a month. I have yet to have a real world conversation with anyone that is passionate about Destiny. People play it because it's new and has a lot of meta, and people love progression. What happens when the majority of those people hit the cap level 30? I'm already at 27 and i feel no desire to keep grinding.

What's going to make me stay ? The PVP? Doubtful, it's a frustrating pvp experience, not to mention one that is not kind to random joins.

I enjoyed Titanfall and Destiny much more than ever thought I would. I don't think either is in danger of going away any time soon, but I certainly think that Destiny has the longer legs of the two. It's sort of like comparing apples and oranges, though, since I personally consider them two different games.

I'm interested to see how big Destiny can get, especially considering that they could easily just add more planets, missions, etc, WoW-style though expansion packs.

Vestax

Banned
Ok, and Titanfall is over 6 months old and it's prob number 2 or 3 most played game on Xbox One right now. Found a game of CTF within a second, full 6v6.

Titanfall has seen a resurgence in population, in part, because of pricing. I mean, MS just has a good deal on it a few weeks back. However, the game does lack content and it can get tiring after a while. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and the gameplay is great, but it is not immune to the fatiguing in comparison to Destiny.

Naked Lunch

Both have no chance.
Destiny is incredibly boring/repetitive, the story sucks, and the multiplayer has no depth whatsoever.
Titanfall's entire premise is flawed - its simply not fun fighting titans as a pilot. Pilot vs pilot combat is ruined because of the quick time to kill.

Not played Titanfall can not say.
Destiny on the other hand, if they pull a assassins creed on this it could be massive, fantastic game fantastic premise but heavily flawed right now.

Both have no chance.
Destiny is incredibly boring/repetitive, the story sucks, and the multiplayer has no depth whatsoever.

Assassins creed 1 also had these glaring issues and it did not even have multiplayer.

Watchdogs also has this issue.

Destiny - Maybe. There are solid mechanics, but boy oh boy, does it have a way to go to make it feel like a properly fleshed out and time-investment-worthy experience. If the next 3-6 months are all about building the game that should have been there in the first place and offered as a make-good to the existing player base, there's s good chance it will have a strong following. If not, Destiny 2, whatever that might be, will sell worse than the first.

Titanfall - Maybe, but probably not. I feel like most people have already stopped talking about Titanfall. It's a multiplayer shooter with some novel movement mechanics and mechs. These are good ideas, but not something that can't be, or isn't already actively being integrated into other games. Titanfall lacks a universe and any sort of identity beyond its mechanics. If that changes with a multiplatform release of T2, then I'd say they've got a shot. But they'd really need to push it.

I don't see either Destiny or Titanfall growing much bigger with future games than they are today. Even if the future games are significantly improved. I also see CoD itself continuing to decline (and not just because of Ghosts). Same with Halo.

Battlefield or some unknown new IP will be the biggest FPS franchise by the end of this gen.

Titanfall is great but it's getting hard to find people in games. Looks like a lot of people moved on... sad as the game is very good but the fact that it was exclusive on a system that is not that popular doesn't help it.

I'm not playing Titanfall that much these days. Actually i haven't played the game in about a month if not more and i feel bad for buying the season pass as there's even less people who play on the dlc maps...

They need to make Titanfall with more options, campaing, local coop... Like COD, otherwise it'll never reach the mainstream. Love it or hate it, but Call of Duty games have a lot of content. I can play the game solo with bots, split-screen with a friend, campaign, online multiplayer. Titanfall has nothing but online and it depends on it to run. They need to get that out for Titanfall 2.

As for Destiny, it's a very good game but i don't know if people will still play the game hardcore next year, seems like there's a lot of DLC coming and that the game depends on it to be bigger. Right now, i'm enjoying it because i can play with friends and it has that Bungie feel which i love but i'm not sure about its longevity and i'm not sure if i will invest more time to it.

It's harder and harder for the shooter genre to stay relevant, last gen we had way too many of them. There needs to be something fresh... The 3rd person competitive genre would be great, there's Gears, Uncharted, Last of Us but i see more possibilities in making something there.

Mobility is something that developers haven't explored enough in my opinion. I guess this gen competitive shooters will be about mobility, as seen with Titanfall and soon COD AW.

Mooreberg

Activision can make a game huge, regardless of merit (I say this as someone who has played and will continue to play Destiny quite a bit). So yes, if Bungie can stick to schedule, Destiny will be considered one of the biggest franchise introductions of the generation.

I don't think so for Titanfall. Not being on PS4 or Steam is a bad idea for launching a new third party franchise, and the population numbers on Origin do not seem particularly great. It is chasing after the audience that is content with Call of Duty or Battlefield.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny for sure. With the PvE focus it's a less direct competitor to CoD, halo etc. Titanfall will struggle to lure the CoD and Battlefield crowd in as big of numbers.

Redrop

I think that Destiny will have a stable life, with a dedicated fanbase playing it for quite a while. But I'm also fairly confident that when CoD AW comes out, all the players who were just playing it for the sake of playing something will merge back into CoD.

Titanfall has a smaller dedicated fanbase that will likely grow if the sequel really hits it out of the park. The problem is that by the time Titanfall 2 appears, we'll likely be in line for Treyarch's next CoD, which will no doubt be huge.

Top Bottom