• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see Titanfall or Destiny as huge FPS franchises by the end of this gen?

vin-buc

I don't have an Xbox one so I can't say how Titanfall plays - I heard it fun but short-lived because of modes, no campaign, etc. From a perspective of watching the market hype - it completely fizzled very quickly. It came out at the wrong time on the less popular console. Even on another platform - I'm not sure how popular it will be. It needs to roll with the heavy hitters in Quarter 4 if it wants to get that real AAA status.

I played the destiny beta on ps4 - I actually played through some of that single player mode it was cool. I wasn't interested in the MP at all (I play cod mp a lot). But I have to say - it looks like the traction is there - it also came out at the right time marketed on the leading platform.

I think Destiny has a good chance. As much as people give Activision "ish" - they make hits.

Titanfall will be a very popular shooter for years to come. The gameplay is too good.

Destiny? There's so much hate for this game i'm shocked people on this forum are so dedicated to it.
it sold almost 5 million copies already...

There's going to be a ton of hate and love for the game. GAF isn't the world...

Titanfall doesn't seem to have the appeal to be a big franchise IMO, fun gameplay, but will be nitch like Warhawk.

Destiny has hooked people with some barebones gameplay. If Bungie plays there cards right, give a lot of stuff away free, it could definitely be huge.

David___

Banned
Destiny? Yes, but only if Bungie is taking the current criticisms to heart and improves them in the sequel.

TF? Maybe, but only if its not exclusive, has a proper single player and doesn't lack content.

RowdyReverb

I could see it happening. Just thinking about the potential for Titanfall 2 or Destiny 2 gets me excited. Both games have a really solid foundation to work with. Both are good, but not quite great games with talented studios behind them. Not to mention publishers have invested gobs on their respective franchises. I think the sequels for both games will be terrific, especially if they can each get some really good writers on their teams.

I mean, take Assassin's Creed for instance. The first game had a lot of good ideas, but the execution just wasn't there yet. Now it's an annual multi million seller. Both games very much remind me of that scenario. Watch_Dogs I'm not as confident in. It doesn't give me the same feeling of "Wow, this franchise has some serious potential!" It was good for what it was, but I can't imagine what they could do to sell me on a sequel.

njean777

Titanfall 2 will more then likely be what 1 should have been, which means I see it getting big. Destiny can become bigger if they fix everything when they put Destiny 2 out along with updating/supporting Destiny proper.

Just going with my gut, but I think neither. I think the big franchises at the end of this gen will be some of the ones that were big going into the gen, and some surprises that we don't yet know what they are.

As some FPS franchises wind down, having their creators just make new FPS franchises with some twists is clearly not setting the world on fire.

Successful early sales were the result of monumental marketing hype and are not indicative of a large, devoted player base.

Destiny.

Destiny 2 will (hopefully) take all the criticisms and make it into something amazing.

Titanfall 2 will most likely be a next-gen version of Titanfall with more maps and game modes at launch and maybe a single-player mode. But even that sounds less appealing, IMO, than Destiny reaching the heights that I believe a realized Destiny 2 could reach.

The amount of used copy's of Destiny at the three Gamestops near me is insane. I think a ton of work is going to have to be done to try and salvage Destiny if it's going to be a truly massive franchise going forward.

Titanfall's sequel will sell a lot better when the sequel arrives (multiplatform), but I don't think it will ever be a huge IP

PKP

Neo Member
I think Destiny has a very solid foundation to build from. The majority of its praise comes from the mechanics and gunplay which typically will not change drastically throughout a franchise. Most of its issues stem from content and the way player interaction is currently set up which I think is relatively easier to fix.

They have 3 other Destiny games planned since 2009. Whether or not people like them or they improve, we will at least get two more sequels.
As for Titanfall, like some said before, it depends on the sequel. If one comes out, with the time and budget it deserves out of the gate, it will be the best shooter of the generation. They're already building on some thing amazing in terms of gameplay:

Titanfall: Iron

The race to be the next COD is going to end up like the race to be the next WoW; everyone shits on COD and hypes the next COD killer, but all of them will end up with eggs on their faces. Don't see how Titanfall or Destiny will be any different. Titanfall might still grow to become at least the new Killzone if Respawn gets their act together but Destiny has way too many issues to be taken seriously on the long run.

Furyous

Technically Yes (Presently) and No (FUCK NO) long-term

Both are huge franchises and system sellers right now. However, they need work long-term to keep the same momentum.

Titanfall needs a legit story to name just one of the obvious things.

I own Destiny and will not buy Destiny 2 if they pull this stunt again. The story was gimped if dem sources were accurate. Don't even get me started about the rest of the game. If Destiny 2's mission consists of deploy ghost and fight waves of enemies until the ghost is finished then this series is over.

With all the feedback Bungie is getting, Destiny 2 is going to be incredible.

Titanfall could also be amazing if they make sure to add enough content next time.

Funnily enough, I don't think even COD/Halo/Battlefield will be doing COD/Halo/Battlefield numbers at the end of this gen.

COD looks like it peaked a few years ago
Halo has slowed down in a post COD 4 landscape
Battlefield has probably peaked

I can see sales for all 3 dropping off over the course of the generation.

What will step up to the plate? Destiny and Titanfall could pull very decent numbers, but I doubt either will reach the 10 million + per entry mark. The sequels will really need to blow people away for that to happen!

I'm waiting for the game that will define shooters this gen the way that COD4 did last gen, but I don't think we've seen it yet.

cnorwood

Banned
Titanfall will be a very popular shooter for years to come. The gameplay is too good.

Destiny? There's so much hate for this game i'm shocked people on this forum are so dedicated to it.

LOOOOOL do you really think the ones who trash this game on the internet represent the majority at all? No, gaming forums are a minority and the ones who dont like it are a minority in the minority. The total number of Neogaf members would count for like .001% of Destiny sales and its one of the biggest gaming forum and many people actually like the game, shit its already on its 6th ot

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Of course. I'm sure Destiny will be fine in the future but it isn't going to be as big as they hoped. Bungie has been a studio in serious decline for many years and this game shows that.

Nah. Not at all.

Reach was their best campaign of all. Destiny is a great new IP with a solid foundation to build upon, and they are supporting the game and reacting to feedback at a rapid pace.

Nope. Everyone I know that got destiny already gave up and sold it.

Titanfall was a great game, but for some reason most people stopped playing after a bit.

Kinda wish Titanfall had destiny massive world with giant mechs but maintained it's mobility...with upgrading MECHs discovering new ones..creating new ones with obtained loot

would of been pretty badass

LOOOOOL do you really think the ones who trash this game on the internet represent the majority at all? No, gaming forums are a minority and the ones who dont like it are a minority in the minority. The total number of Neogaf members would count for like .001% of Destiny sales and its one of the biggest gaming forum and many people actually like the game, shit its already on its 6th ot
I sunk some decent hours into the game. It's not a particularly good game but what else is out there right now? It's not the worst game in the world but how can they push this forward if the core of the game is actually pretty mediocre? Remember, it's not just this forum or the "minority" that is vocal, it's the wide ranging gaming press as well.

Unless titanfall 2 makes some changes, i dont see it going anywhere. The whole pvp multiplayer only thing is not working out.

Destiny is not going away anytime soon. Its a assassins creed 1 case. Good foundation. Gonna get even way better on a sequel.

Destiny very likely. I would be surprised if it didn't turn out to be a huge blockbuster series.

Titanfall not so much. Even if it drops its exclusivity I doubt it will do huge numbers. The gameplay is absolutely brilliant and a breath of fresh air but unfortunately it is too complex to appeal to the masses. I think COD AW will prove this assertion to be true. People like to play games they are comfortable with.

PrestigiousTheseBumblebee.gif

Titanfall is complex? Now i've heard it all.

:lol

RalchAC

I totally see Destiny getting really big. The potential is already there. Gunplay is really good, it knows how to hook people in a similar way MMOs does.

It lacks content? Yes, it does. Especially for leveling. Strikes / Raid wise it isn't any worse than most MMOs when they launch. And they're releasing the first expansion in November.

I think they should release some free content on top of the paid stuff to entice people get on board with the expansions.

Other than the lack of content, which can be fixed with time, there is the story. Which is awful, but could be improved if they throw some free missions and cutscenes in the pre Black Garden content. It's not going to turn the thing into a masterpiece, but adding some extra story missions with cool gimmicks like Crota's Sword would add some diversity.

Basically I think they should have 2 different type of updates, at least for the first 12 months.

forms

I can see Destiny becoming big if handled correctly. Titan Fall will be a continued presence, but I think that there are not enough Tribes lovers nowadays to keep it big.

Everyone is saying Titanfall was a commercial flop, but do we even have sales numbers for the game?

it's far from a flop, the team is quite small and it sold nicely but they had the entire gaming press hyping it hard and Microsoft pushing it like there is no tomorrow and it wasn't the huge seller it was supposed to be.

KooopaKid

Banned
It's a bit early to tell for Destiny, I need to see the legs it has but I predict the answer is no for both. Destiny DLC will not work with the masses and Destiny 2 is a long way off.

keezy

Titanfall is an FPS. Destiny is an MMO.

Titanfall win's be default in that regard. Also, if you consider Destiny a FPS I'd still give it to Titanfall.

Titanfall is complex? Now i've heard it all.

:lol

Yah, you'd be surprised how many people can't do what that player in that video is doing. People jump into Titanfall and play it like COD and get slaughtered.

You're underestimating how bad majority of people are at fast twitch shooters with serious verticality.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well TitanFall certainly has a stronger foundation to build on for the next game, so I'd say it's in with a shot.

cripterion

Both games are really different and not aimed at the same audience. I don't see any of these games as huge franchises though.

Destiny is a commercial success but a huge failure in my eyes.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anything can happen, so sure, I could easily see it.

It's real easy to look at Titanfall's current situation and say no, but the reality is the development was a mess. Given the proper time, and with a new engine like Frostbite 3, a sequel could easily blow everyone away. That franchise has nowhere to go but up, because the gameplay is rock solid and fun.

Bumhead

Banned
Sounds like a really obvious thing to say but it depends entirely on the next two games.

Titanfall looks and sounds almost like a proof of concept and Destiny sounds like it has been gutted from the original vision. Despite that, both games sold well enough and are liked enough to justify further commitment from both a development and consumer perspective. Destiny has a huge number of people by the balls even in its current frankenstein state, myself included.

If Titanfall 2 fleshes out the foundations from the first game to include single player content, more multiplayer modes and more enhanced mech gameplay/integration, and if Destiny 2 gets the focused, smooth development vision the first one should have had, then I think both will be a huge success. If the sequels still aren't up to snuff then realistically there's not going to be enough time (or support) for the third installments to change that.

cnorwood

Banned
I sunk some decent hours into the game. It's not a particularly good game but what else is out there right now? It's not the worst game in the world but how can they push this forward if the core of the game is actually pretty mediocre? Remember, it's not just this forum or the "minority" that is vocal, it's the wide ranging gaming press as well.

Which is still the minority. The gaming press is pretty irrelevant outside of breaking information about unreleased products. Nobody but "gamers" care about reviews

Rezae

I think it all depends on who makes the most upgrades for their sequel, obviously. Both games needed more fleshed out and some general design adjustments. Personally I think Titanfall 2, going multiplatform, and fleshing it out better will make it pretty huge. I don't see a quick turn around on Destiny other than expansions, which could fix some of its problems, but not all. Just seems like Titanfall 2 could be churned out quicker IMO and therefore gives it more upside, at least in the short to medium term.

knitoe

I say Destiny. Or else 10 years, we got a serious problem...

As for TF, I expect COD:AW, with the similar gameplay, to perform badly. Thus, Respawn will wise up, drop TF and make a true nextgen follow up to MW1/2.

Megatron

Destiny maybe, I think TF will continue to be very successful but maybe not to CoD levels. imo the exclusivity really hurt the brand - if EA wanted it to be the next CoD, they should've realised that it needs to be on more than 3 platforms.

So you are saying you want TF2 to be on more than 3 platforms? You want it to be crossgen? I think it will be on xb1, PC and ps4. If it has a campaign, yes, I fully expect Titanfall 2 to be huge. That's what really hurt it, imo, not not being on a Sony platform. Those fans played it on PC.

nib95

Banned
Yes to both, but much less so Titanfall. I am almost certain Destiny 2 is going to be humungous, and bigger and more popular than the first. It's funny that in just 3 weeks Destiny is already on OT6, whilst Titanfall is still on OT2 after 7 months. I get that one game is fully multi platform, but that should offer at least some tiny sliver of insight in to the difference in popularity between these two franchises.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Destiny yes titanfall no.

The games media talking about the game nonstop for 6 months and then silence after release and the PC player base being so inactive they had to shrink playlists says everything. Titanfall was all blatant media hype and shit all behind it.

Top Bottom