• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think all console exclusives should be on PC?

Durante

Well, obviously I'd like that to be the case. It's better for everyone except the platform holder.

But it's also clear that first party games won't be on other platforms, why would they? Their whole point is to sell a platform.

Opiate

Every game should be on every plattform so everyone can enjoy them imo.

I don't agree. Doing this would require every game to be input neutral. Do you want Alan Wake to be reworked so that it is easily playable with an iOS touch interface? It would need to be, if every game was on every platform.

IMO, yes. Although Steam isn't perfect, I see the potential.

And I'd love to see the mods some of these console games would have if released for PC.

I'm still sad the PC is lacking in so many genres the console is flourishing in.

If every PC exclusive releases on consoles as well . I'll be ok if every game releases on every platform. Since that isn't happening the answer would be no the developers and publishers have the right to make a game exclusive to any platform if they want.

Opiate

Yes. Ideally all games should be on as many available platforms as possible. Of course I understand the business reasons behind console exclusivity.

Do you feel Half Life 3 should be on iOS? Do you believe DotA3 should be on PS4? Imagine how awkward the gameplay would need to be to accommodate those platforms' native control schemes.

Why do we have multiple cellphones, blu-ray players, e-readers?

They can change the interface and you'll have platforms with varying degrees of power. The accessories can be better. A better online ecosystem. You can create value aside of games.

Although I don't think it is a feasible route to take. And the Valve systems are kind of like this.

The thing is we don't have more than one cellphone or blu-ray player or e-readers. We all have maybe 1 or none. Different companies can compete to make the same generic product, but they all do essentially the same thing.

I'm tired of having 2-3 boxes under my TV that all do the same thing: play video games.

Momentary

Banned
There will be platform exclusivity in the future, not console exclusivity. I guarantee you, 5 to 7 years from now Sony will have a digital platform to compete against Steam and others instead of physical hardware. I'll buy their exclusives then.

conman

That's the thing. There is no point. Multiple consoles and exclusivity wastes everyone's time and money in the long run.
Exactly. It just creates artificial differences between consoles and between consoles and PC. It's a way of stacking the deck without actually engaging in like-for-like competition--especially when it comes to third-party exclusives and timed exclusives. It's the kind of artificial competition that has effectively led to the mass homogenization of cable television. Rather than staking a claim to a specific kind of programming, cable channels now just generate their own "exclusive" version of the same crap that every other channel has.

If every game is available to every platform, then console manufacturers will actually have to focus on creating substantial differences that force them to be technologically innovative rather than just spending more money to buy out an exclusive title.

Opiate

If every game needed to be playable on iPhone and on PS4 and on Wii and on PC, then everything would be an on rail shooter, because very few genres work effectively across all those control schemes.

Krejlooc

Banned
I don't agree. Doing this would require every game to be input neutral. Do you want Alan Wake to be reworked so that it is easily playable with an iOS touch interface? It would need to be, if every game was on every platform.

iOS supports game controllers.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As primarily a PC gamer, yes, sure I do!

However, I understand why there are console exclusives. It's why Nintendo keeps their games on Nintendo hardware, to give them value. I also wish all Nintendo games were on PC. And all mobile games. And all movies. And all television. PC is the master race! I wish all consoles and handhelds would DIE so that everyone could enjoy the pure awesomeness that is PC gaming!!!!!!!

okay, maybe I got a bit carried away....

Sakujou

Banned
nope. i hate this everything on every platform. because if this you get constant shit games which look like the same. using the same engine to program as less as possible.

thats why i hated the last gen.

Tain

Wait, so I could play everything laglessly at variable refresh rates up to 144hz with zero screen tearing and potentially in VR and with just about any input device ever?

man that sounds horrible

Eh, exclusives to one platform or another are fine. But when something is on like PS4 and XB1 (or PS3/360 before), but not PC, that is some bullshit. Doesn't happen very often anymore though.

Mihos

Gold Member
Do you feel Half Life 3 should be on iOS? Do you believe DotA3 should be on PS4? Imagine how awkward the gameplay would need to be to accommodate those platforms' native control schemes.

The point is there is no 'native' platform control scheme.

Ziffles

If every game needed to be playable on iPhone and on PS4 and on Wii and on PC, then everything would be an on rail shooter, because very few genres work effectively across all those control schemes.

I think they're implying that in an ideal world, the controls be reworked and optimized for each platform.

Of course in the real world it wouldn't pan out that way.

Krejlooc

Banned
Xbox supports motion controls, but not every game is made with that in mind because they realize it's safer to go what with, is now, the expected default.

And yet there are still games on the Xbox One that require motion controls.

In this hypothetical, if every game ever suddenly started coming to iOS, it would create a defacto standard for controller control on the platform.

Opiate

iOS supports game controllers.

Sure. And technically, you can use a KB/M on the PS4. Practically speaking, however, almost all games which are made for iOS/PS4 must be functional with the native control scheme, because the audience for games using other input methods is small.

I'm thinking pragmatically/economically and not technically. Technically, sure, you can make a PS4 game that is keyboard/mouse only. Economically/pragmatically, no one will ever bother making such a game. If a game is coming out on PS4/PC, it must be playable with a traditional game pad and also with a KB/M. If a game's mechanics don't allow that (e.g. StarCraft 2), it will only be released on PC or only on console.

fijim

Banned
Seems like a bad business move. I mean I purchased a PS2 for MGS2 and GTA3. I purchased a Wii for Zelda TP. I purchased a 360 for Gears of War. If those games were on PC (From day one in the case of GTA and GoW) then I would probably not have purchased those consoles.

In a perfect world, absolutely yes. Aside from a desire by console companies to horde their licensed games to themselves, there's no reason these games don't come to PC.

If every platform got the exact same offerings gaming would be so boring doe. Games like Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Mario, Zelda, Halo etc wouldn't get made to sell us on a specific console. Most would be like a boring derivative of each other cuz no one takes risks to set them apart. Its impact on creativity and competition would be tragic.

Timed exclusives and exclusive console debuts are awful doe especially when platform holders try to persuade us in buying their systems with them.

No, the reason Nintendo and Sony exclusives are so good is because they only have to worry about a single console. They can focus completely on. As for MS, they pretty much sort of do this already, but I really think they should stop doing so.

Personally: Yes. I want them there for the best possible version and it's my medium of choice this generation. Consoles (I own a PS4) have not excited me past launch day warm and fuzzies. All my excitement has come from the PC side of things ... and we're almost a year gone at this point.

Every time a "Why aren't you a PC gamer?" thread gets made its filled by posters proudly proclaiming their "CONSOLES 4 LYFE" preference (and then usually making snide remarks about superior master race) so I'm not sure if every title was available on PC that would automatically mean the end of consoles.

That, or there are a lot of fucking disingenuous intellectually dishonest posters here.

Krejlooc

Banned
Sure. And technically, you can use a KB/M on the PS4. Practically speaking, however, almost all games which are made for iOS/PS4 must be functional with the native control scheme, because the audience for games using other input methods is small.

In other words: I'm thinking pragmatically/economically and not technically. Technically, sure, you can make a PS4 game that is keyboard/mouse only. Economically, no one will ever bother with that.

I don't think you're thinking pragmatically at all, actually. I think you're taking a hyperbolic stance to all this. All games would become on-rails, really?

The reality is that what is already happening with games like Max Payne and other console->iOS ports would continue happening: you'd have onscreen representations of traditional controllers that are generally poor substitutes as a default, and those who wished to play those games more extensively would purchase controllers.

See the way xinput is supported in virtually every modern PC game as an example despite few PCs shipping with xbox controllers themselves.

gelf

Platform holders get a cut from every game sold on their system. Releasing thier games on PC increases the likelihood those gamers won't bother buying a console.

No matter how much money Sony would make from PC Uncharted it isn't worth it for them as your just encouraging people to never get a Playstation. What Sony want to do is encourage you to buy a PS4 instead of buying/upgrading a PC. With me its working as Bloodborne means more to me then any game I'd need to upgrade my aging PC for.

Its not perfect, it would be nice if one system had all games, but its never going to happen.

Top Bottom