• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Microsoft will ever win a generation in sales?

The number of exclusively W10 Xbox-only, non-Xbox-playing users is extremely low to the point of being a rounding error. People using the ecosystems are using both.

That's all you need. If you won in North America, you have literally won worldwide.

You make Arthur Gies' "Japan doesn't count" bullshit look reasonable in comparison.

The number of exclusively W10 Xbox-only, non-Xbox-playing users is extremely low to the point of being a rounding error. People using the ecosystems are using both.

That's all you need. If you won in North America, you have literally won worldwide.

This guy just keeps on delivering!

MoonFrog

I think it will, unless Japan rejects Switch as a portable. I feel Switch only needs to be a moderate success globally to overtake XB1.

Yeah, Japan is incredibly important to Nintendo. They've boxed themselves into that position over the last decade, since they moved from N64 to GCN.

Selfishly, as a gamer, I love that about them and I love that they are in a place where they need to push, say, Wii or DS to reinvigorate that market, rather than doubling down on what works fine in the west but is dying in Japan. I want a new way forward for Japanese console gaming. I want that sector to grow again. I want those games.

What my dream is is a reinvigorated Japan, fueled by a new mainstream Japanese console consumer base. I want to reap the rewards of that, and I feel Switch is where the opportunity to merge Nintendo different, Japan-oriented different, and outreach to the west is the best it has ever been. That is the Switch I want.

I don't know if you are just trolling everyone or if you really believe this horseshit.

wapplew

Sale aside, MS is the most prepared for the next evolution of gaming both hardware and software.

- On hardware, they have the lowest price entry level for those hot third party games with One S, plus best looking/performing multiplat on Scorpio next year.

- Software side, they have move into OS base generation like other most successful platforms. Games build with dynamic scalability in mind, same games just run better on better hardware like your games run better when you upgrade your phone. And all games just work on all the devices running with same OS, I don't even call it BC, just like we don't call games on PC/mobile backward compatible. Any gaming devices not on the same page will get left out.

- MS games also ahead of trend with online focus, games as service, mmo lite, esport all those big money making genre.

- With Japanese games get irrelevant fast, missing out those games quickly become none factor.

The stars is lining up for MS. Once the next evolution of gaming start, they will be in the forefront.

Soph

Due to figurative use of "literally", I'm going with sarcasm. Great how you trolled half the thread though.

Wait... you're not... really... this...

El Topo

You really don't think they've cared about or put any effort in to Europe at any point since the oXbox launched? I disagree, I think they put a hell of a lot of effort into the 360 launch.

I'm sure they care about the market to some extent, but let us not pretend that the US is not (far and away) their clear top priority.
What exactly did they do for the 360 launch for Europe that you would call "a hell of a lot of effort"? Europe, not UK.
Heck, they care so much about Europe they have three franchises that are not (or only partially) available in Germany.

GLAMr

I think it seems unlikely any time soon due to various reasons raised (e.g. poor engagement outside the English speaking world), though possible as mentioned (Sony might go PS3-level full potato again).

But does it really matter? So long as the Xbox platform is profitable and the users are happy, who cares how many they sell? I was under the impression that the Xbox division was highly lucrative, and the Xbowners I know are very happy with their purchase.

Widge

Xbox may have ultimately "lost" the last gen but they won it where it counted... which was being the big pull for first and third party in the first half of the gen and retaining the third party lions share in the second half. Sony had to battle to claw the hardware back - thanks to lots of IP investment and PSN+. I bet they would have preferred those third party royalties.

Microsoft can lose overall sales IF they get back in the position where they attract attach rate again. However, if they find themselves floundering as they are now, they need to do a hell of a lot more with their first party than is going on right now. Even if they aren't set the world alight titles, the implication that they care about providing for their userbase is a biggie.

Sale aside, MS is the most prepared for the next evolution of gaming both hardware and software.

- On hardware, they have the lowest price entry level for those hot third party games with One S, plus best looking/performing multiplat on Scorpio next year.

- Software side, they have move into OS base generation like other most successful platforms. Games build with dynamic scalability in mind, same games just run better on better hardware like your games run better when you upgrade your phone. And all games just work on all the devices running with same OS, I don't even call it BC, just like we don't call games on PC/mobile backward compatible. Any gaming devices not on the same page will get left out.

- MS games also ahead of trend with online focus, games as service, mmo lite, esport all those big money making genre.

- With Japanese games get irrelevant fast, missing out those games quickly become none factor.

The stars is lining up for MS. Once the next evolution of gaming start, they will be in the forefront.

I'm having flashbacks to 2012.

This generation isn't over yet. Scorpio will come out next year open and then Halo 6 will likely release shortly after. Halo 3 was one of the best selling Halo games and was the 3rd in the that trilogy. By that logic Halo 6 is also the third in it's trillogy and will thus likely sell really well and will probably sell enough to help Microsoft win this generation

Believe in Master Chief guys
latest

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I hope not, as an MS victory would be pretty bad for Japanese 3rd parties, which is nearly all I care about gaming wise. The PS4's dominance has led to a lot of unique Japanese 3rd parties being released, a marked change from the early years of the PS3.

Zedox

I hope not, as an MS victory would be pretty bad for Japanese 3rd parties, which is nearly all I care about gaming wise. The PS4's dominance has led to a lot of unique Japanese 3rd parties being released, a marked change from the early years of the PS3.

Why would that change anything for Japanese games? As long as PlayStation still sells, the devs will still produce games. That's a very interesting thought.

If someone overtakes Sony it probably won't be Microsoft or Nintendo. It will probably be Apple, Google or someone we never expected or heard of. I believe it would coincide with the death of physical media and traditional hardware with games done completely by streaming. Internet infrastructure would need to be greatly improved for this to happen and there are definite hurdles due to the telecom industry (likely emboldened by a friendly Trump administration). Sony has the greatest lead on this in the console space with Gaikai (Microsoft could easily catch up if they tried with experience in cloud computing), but that is damning with faint praise as it has yet to work out all the kinks and turn many heads as with game streaming in general at this time (vita remote play via internet is cool though).

Abelard

They've won every generation. How many PC gamers use Windows?

dhtjdjykgjrjrkdj/s+(&($(+65-(jtjdvjiyofifkyofiuf

Peterc

They've won every generation. How many PC gamers use Windows?

dhtjdjykgjrjrkdj/s+(&($(+65-(jtjdvjiyofifkyofiuf

Yes, but i think it's better to give up xbox and replace it with a pcbox.

Something like this:
stream%20to%20tv%20diagram.jpg

You just stream your pc content to the tv with a dongle. You can play all pc games on it ith Keyboard/mouse or a controller.

I find their consoles highly unappealing. They lack interesting exclusives which drive me to specific consoles in the first place. Sony has the right balance of first and third party titles. While Nintendo can get me with just their first party titles.

It's obvious and inevitable..first wave of the Hurricane starts this Nov. Better get with the program.

Leflus

No. They could maybe have had a chance this gen had they not completely botched the reveal and initial concept of the console. I don't see them catching up to Sony anytime soon.

sora87

I'd just like to say this is brilliant satire.

jackal27

Banned
I genuinely would not be surprised if they stopped making consoles after this generation or the next and somehow focused more on PC gaming or building PCs focused on more of a console gaming experience. I know this is what the Xbox was supposed to be, but it doesn't quite have the same flexibility these days.

The Xbox did originally introduce many features that were previously PC-only (such as an internal hard drive, a focus on online multiplayer, multimedia, etc.), but now days it's so hard to differentiate between a PC and console anyways that I think this would be a better move for them. That Xbox brand is still certainly powerful though.

Not if they keep doing what they are doing. They can have the best hardware like they did with the OG Xbox, and still not win it. What they need is first party games and lots of them.

Microsoft need to have people like Miyamoto, or studios like Naughty Dog that push boundaries. They need more risky games to build that library, but as long as they keep their tired franchises going, and continue the path of killing their internal studios and 3rd party exclusives then nope. It simply ain't gonna happen.

Worldwide? Never
Sony has too many loyal fans in EU. Outside of EU and NA nobody cares for the MS brand it's all Sony territory. Even in NA Sony has a healthy fanbase. In short their brand is too strong to fail. It's the apple of gaming, people will buy a playstation regardless of games or power just because it's a playstation. Same thing with Iphones. MS can only hope to get close by winning the "swing" war. the small percent of people who buy the best products regardless of brand. My guess is around 20-30% of NA and EU markets. But of course they have to put out the better hardware. We seen it with the 360 gen which is why the sold pretty even. MS won the "swing" buyers. This gen Sony won the "swing buyers"

Mr Swine

Banned
In the US only, rest of the world? Nope, I see the Xbox brand weakened with the next console coming out in Japan and Europe

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I mean, the sole purpore of Microsoft's foray into the console market was to weaken Sony's bid for the living room in the first place. The rest is just gravy.

After having managed to hurt Sony last gen but not enough, failing to co-opt Nintendo with the Kinect, fighting for something that doesn't make much sense anymore thanks to computers and smartphones taking time away from the TV, and failing to really be successful with the Xbox One, it seems like Microsoft have changed their strategy somewhat.

It's now about turning console gamers - and specifically, Sony gamers - to PC gamers, to lure them away from consoles to the Windows ecosystem by making all their XBO games available on Windows and introducing the PC upgrade cycle to the console market. The plan, I imagine, is to force Sony to fight on their turf where they're strong. Which seems to be what Sony is doing with the PS4 Pro even though they swear the PS4 Pro is just a midgen refresh.

Given those evolutions, I doubt Microsoft will ever "win" a generation because they're pretty much trying to destroy the console market and its characteristic generations as we know them. There won't be any such thing as winning if consoles are upgraded on a regular basis and are essentially dumbed-down PCs with identical software. They'll just be an alternative to owning a full-fledged gaming PC. And Microsoft has already won the PC "war" because, you know, Windows.

viHuGi

Banned
I mean, the sole purpore of Microsoft's foray into the console market was to weaken Sony's bid for the living room in the first place. The rest is just gravy.

After having managed to hurt Sony last gen but not enough, failing to co-opt Nintendo with the Kinect, fighting for something that doesn't make much sense anymore thanks to computers and smartphones taking time away from the TV, and failing to really be successful with the Xbox One, it seems like Microsoft have changed their strategy somewhat.

It's now about turning console gamers - and specifically, Sony gamers - to PC gamers, to lure them away from consoles to the Windows ecosystem by making all their XBO games available on Windows and introducing the PC upgrade cycle to the console market. The plan, I imagine, is to force Sony to fight on their turf where they're strong. Which seems to be what Sony is doing with the PS4 Pro even though they swear the PS4 Pro is just a midgen refresh.

Given those evolutions, I doubt Microsoft will ever "win" a generation because they're pretty much trying to destroy the console market and its characteristic generations as we know them. There won't be any such thing as winning if consoles are upgraded on a regular basis and are essentially dumbed-down PCs with identical software. They'll just be an alternative to owning a full-fledged gaming PC. And Microsoft has already won the PC "war" because, you know, Windows.

No, no and no.

Your post is totally wrong but thanks for sharing anyway.

Oh and no I won't Switch to Pc.

Oh and Steam exists.

Maximus P

Sure they will. It's Sony. People worship them as if the company can see them as anything other than just a number. "Uncharted 5 guys? TLoU 3? Look at these graphics guys. It's the Naughty Gods! AMIRIGHT AMIRIGHT?!?!? I mean no BC, no folders again, and we're not going to allow you to stream video files anymore either, but PS5. Greatness is still waiting!"

As much as this post got shit on, the guy did have a point somewhat. The Sony brand in mainland Europe is really strong and we saw Sony dominate in markets there even in the early days of the ps3 era when they were getting a tonne of stick for their decisions. Germany for example love the Sony brand.

It would take a hell of a lot for Microsoft to out sell them in some countries there,even with a cheaper, more powerful console with plenty of high rated exclusives I'm guessing Sony would still outsell them.

I don't think we'll ever see a generation where Microsoft finishes on top, the only plausible way I can think they'd stand a chance is if they got super aggressive with buying exclusive rights for some of the big guns such as Call of Duty, GTA or Fifa, but that ain't happening.

Anything is possible! MS does need to focus a bit more on genre variety and international appeal if they really want a chance at the crown though.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
No, no and no.

Your post is totally wrong but thanks for sharing anyway.

Oh and no I won't Switch to Pc.

Oh and Steam exists.

Is this Bizarro-GAF? Where people actually shitpost without consequences and without beginning to pretend they're interested in discussion? I wish I could say "cool story, bro", but there's no story here.

Top Bottom