• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Microsoft will ever win a generation in sales?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
no. But it doesn't matter so much that they 'win', and more that they become more globalized.

Their success in America and the UK last gen went straight to their head, they might as well have won first place globally in their own heads.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Probably not, but even if it doesn't .. does it really matters ?

As long as the device sells a sufficient number of millions, I don't think these companies care about 'ranking'.

jdmonmou

Microsoft is going to probably start including Windows 10 sales as consoles sold. If they do that, then they could have the most sales in a generation.

Vaga

Sure they will. It's Sony. People worship them as if the company can see them as anything other than just a number. "Uncharted 5 guys? TLoU 3? Look at these graphics guys. It's the Naughty Gods! AMIRIGHT AMIRIGHT?!?!? I mean no BC, no folders again, and we're not going to allow you to stream video files anymore either, but PS5. Greatness is still waiting!"

Come now son, confess. How long have you been keeping this inside?

Bgamer90

Banned
Probably not, but even if it doesn't .. does it really matters ?

As long as the device sells a sufficient number of millions, I don't think these companies care about 'ranking'.

Yep... for example, I don't think Sony or Microsoft were mad after 2010 that Nintendo won the generation in overall sales. Far more to this business than just consoles sold.

Gator86

Never. As long as Sony is in the game, MS will always have to settle for second, at best. Sony's worst selling console outsold MS' best. Sony's best basically outsold every Xbox ever released by itself. Sony is going to have 4 straight consoles selling at least 90m units. The entire rest of the industry to ever exist has 2, cumulatively. It's just not happening short of a radical upheaval of the entire console industry.

Luminaire

Sure they will. It's Sony. People worship them as if the company can see them as anything other than just a number. "Uncharted 5 guys? TLoU 3? Look at these graphics guys. It's the Naughty Gods! AMIRIGHT AMIRIGHT?!?!? I mean no BC, no folders again, and we're not going to allow you to stream video files anymore either, but PS5. Greatness is still waiting!"

I don't know how badly Sony hurt you, but I wish you a speedy recovery.

meppi

They had their chance with the 360 and blew it, big time.

So, no, I doubt they will ever reach that kind of goodwill from gamers again.
They will keep a strong base in the US because people want to root for the home team, but everywhere else. That's highly unlikely.

random25

Probably a mess up with the next gen PlayStation will do the trick for MS and Xbox. But that's highly unlikely given that the path to console success these days are pretty much predictable.

ever? sure... they came pretty damn close during 360... pretty much tied ww i think?

Tied for second place.

Pretty much, the lifetime sales look to be in a slight favour of the PS3 though.

They had their chance with the 360 and blew it, big time.

So, no, I doubt they will ever reach that kind of goodwill from gamers again.
They will keep a strong base in the US because people want to root for the home team, but everywhere else. That's highly unlikely.

Blew it? How was anybody supposed to compete against the Wii?

It took the lead sales-wise against the PS3 for most of the generation and that's a pretty impressive accomplishment seeing as Sony's previous console was and still is the best selling games console of all time, it dominated everything in the sixth generation.

N.Domixis

Banned
If ps3 fuck up equaled them in sales than I don't ever see it happening. They would have to mess up even worse than ps3. Like a 700 dollar price.

meppi

Blew it? How was anybody supposed to compete against the Wii?

They couldn't. Not a chance actually.

I wasn't really clear. What I meant was that the 360 was the height of their succes and they completely screwed it all up in the last few years, and then even moreso with the whole XBone debacle.

And Fanboys of MS do the same things. It's kinda a thing.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This is a strange post. People are super invested in the games and ecosystem, why should that need to be defended? It proves Sony did a good job historically building up that userbase.

We have folders btw. And BC was never going to happen with PS3. The weak implementation of PS2 games, and the nonexistent PS1 implementation is a shitshow though, i'd agree.

It would need a radical shift on the next generation of consoles

buuuut we have seen crazy things before, so nothing is impossible

AudioEppa

Worldwide, not a chance. Their brand isn't strong.

This.

There's no chance Microsoft will ever out do Sony worldwide. But here in America people flip-flop what's popular like soap opera couples so Microsoft in a year or two could become the 'cool' place to play again for a bit, but I don't see it winning ever.

I hope you get some hugs for Christmas..

Apathy

Man when fanboys snap. Always funny.

crash-14

Not while Europe exists.

well, not our fall that they mostly committed to Gears, Halo, Forza and third party shooters while Sony and Nintendo had diversity.

MS had a chance with 360 but they pretty much blew it going all in with the cod support.

One thing sony and nintendo have over xbox is nostalgia and childhood memories tied to their games.

Its hard to outsell consoles that have that connection to their fans

Yeah this is a strong Selling point for them, have such nostalgia for both sony and ninty. Nothing for ms even If I loved the 360 library

Dynasty

2016 has taught me anything is possible. So not impossible for MS to win, just going to be a long uphill battle. They need to wait for Sony to screw up and capatilize. They had there best shot with the 360 but lost momentum during the second half of that gen and shot themselves on the foot with the XB1 reveal. They need to invest in their 1st party studios and new IPs and set themselves up for future generations.

Bessy67

Never. MS could spend their entire company's revenue on marketing for Xbox and it still wouldn't outsell Sony in countries that aren't the US.

Maniel

Banned
It would take a lot of mess ups by Sony for it to happen, but yes it is possible. To make it likelier they could try to slowly make progress in Europe, but considering Xbone is doing worse there than 360, they have a lot of catching up to do. I could also see a future console generation that leans heavily Xbox in the US and Playstation in Europe, but with no Wii. This could leave Xbox in first place if they do well in the ROTW.

cakely

Wow, OP accidentally hit a nerve, didn't he.

Sony and Nintendo would both have to fuck up. I can see it. For example Sony caught in another hacking scandal before launch and Nintendo failing to catch lightning in a bottle again while Microsoft launches a safe vanilla box that delivers Fifa for Europe and games elsewhere.

Another possibility is Microsoft somehow riding the 4K adoption rates into success which kinda seems like where they are heading now. Scorpio being designed by the Surface team partially may help as well.

In the long term if conventional consoles exist decades from now, yes. Microsoft has way more money than Sony, and Sony has been losing money in just about everything but PlayStation. With that said, "winning" in hardware sales doesn't mean much anymore when last gen all three consoles did well and the Xbox One isn't doing poorly. The Wii U is the only console since, well, the GameCube to do as bad as it did.

It's definitely possible.

It's not like the console market is super stable anyway. Different generations bring different successes.

The xbox brand is strong, established, and backed by a very powerful company. See the jump they made from the original xbox to the 360 (just 2 generations), it defnitely possible they keep building the brand, and with some luck, money and games, they could end up on top in the future.

dottme

I think that if they haven't messed up the all digital communication at the beginning of the generation, they might have win in sales number this generation.
They were in good position to take the lead at the end of the 360, but they were too greedy and they messed up.

GHG

Tell everyone how you really feel. No really, I appreciate it. Honesty is good.

To answer the question in the OP... It's really not gonna happen. People need to come and see how people view them in territories like the Middle East to see how much of an uphill struggle they really have.

It's definitely possible.

It's not like the console market is super stable anyway. Different generations bring different successes.

The xbox brand is strong, established, and backed by a very powerful company. See the jump they made from the original xbox to the 360 (just 2 generations), it defnitely possible they keep building the brand, and with some luck, money and games, they could end up on top in the future.

I can't see how anyone could say it's a strong brand.

? They won the High Def 7th gen

Under no circumstances.

Alchemist

You must like getting banned.

Occam

image.php

Let all the evil within you out.

lmao

New GAF meme?

Bgamer90

Banned
It is funny to see some fans drinking the consoles sold don't matter koolaid that ms is serving though

"Winning a generation isn't everything" =/= "console sales don't matter"

I don't see anyone here saying console sales don't matter.

You guys sure do love being edgy about console sales lately.

Nope

While japan is not strong hardware wise you cant over look this numbers on a weekly basis

System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| PS4 # | 98.684 | 116.593 | 40.289 | 1.608.553 | 1.095.199 | 3.739.286 |
| XB1 # | 363 | 315 | 234 | 7.861 | 17.168 | 71.912 |

Shambala

Holy meltdown batman

Top Bottom