• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Think Starfeld Will Be New Skyrim?

Skyrim is HUGE. Over a decade later people are still playing it and talking about it as if it was just released a year ago. The game has so much attention it's unbelievable.

Do you think Starfeld will have the same impact at all? Do you think it will even have a fraction of the impact that a game like Skyrim has? Skyrim is so massively and insanely popular and Bethesda really knows how to make games that hold up. Even Fallout is still kind of a big deal nowadays.

What can we do without Bethesda and their nearly flawless Western role-playing games? What will happen with this new game do you think?

Took TES five entries to reach that popularity so I’ll say no. I’m sure Starfield will have a lot of potential to become a beloved long running franchise though.
That's an excellent point but I would say the first two Elder Scrolls games weren't that popular. Morrowind is when people started to notice.

But Starfeld is a Bethesda game and people are going to notice it just for that so it has a huge potential.

Regardless of the game’s quality, the fact that it won’t release on PS5 (and last gen consoles) will significantly limit its reach compared to Bethesda’s other mainline titles.
You good make a point. That's amazing that it won't be released on PlayStation 5 but are we so sure about that because Microsoft purchase? I actually wonder if it will eventually get a GOG release?

N30RYU

Is there any chartz with sales per platform? Doesn't sony had 65% of the sales or so?
Being exclusive I doubt they will reach Skyrim popularity even being "free" on gamepass

It would need to reach 20-25 million sold-through copies to even begin to maybe, maybe be discussed in the same breath as Skyrim.

Skyrim is solidified as a household name, an icon of video games known amongst people who do and don’t know video games. Mario, Tetris, Pokémon, Halo, 2K, Madden, FIFA, GTA, CoD, Skyrim, etc. I could go somewhere and name one of these games and get a “oh yea I played(or heard) of that game. Is that the one where you ___?”

I will still stand boldly by the opinion that it’s a huge mistake for Bethesda not to call TES 6 “Skyrim 2”. Skyrim is a much stronger brand than TES will ever be.

Zones

You good make a point. That's amazing that it won't be released on PlayStation 5 but are we so sure about that because Microsoft purchase? I actually wonder if it will eventually get a GOG release?
Bethesda’s games all have Denuvo, so GOG is out of question (at least for a good while).

PC will naturally have the largest userbase for the game and I expect Starfield to do really well there regardless of anything, however, for the game to potentially reach anywhere close to Skyrim’s success, this game better be well optimized and work well on a wide range of GPUs on PC.

And yes of course the game was definitely going to come out on PS5 prior to the acquisition taking place.

(Ignore the tweet itself please and just watch the interview snippet with the head of marketing from Bethesda regarding the fact Bethesda never considered going Xbox console exclusive until the acquisition happened)

That's a good point. I remember in 2011 being surprised by how well it ran on my 09 laptop with integrated graphics lol. Skyrim had a reach that Starfield won't be able to match.
Yep, Skyrim had the luxury of working on a very wide range of GPUs, and that game was also way ahead of its time in terms of open world interactions and whatnot. Bethesda’s games are still unique enough though, but I imagine if this game reviews very well (which I think will easily get +90 Metascore), the fact it’s only releasing on some 20-25m Xbox consoles, plus a significantly more limited pool of GPUs compared to Skyrim will naturally hinder its full reach/sales potential.

tmlDan

It's a space game, it wont have the cultural influence Skyrim had on that alone.

It's very hard to have a huge smash twice like that, things like "I took an arrow to the knee " are never intentional.

Also, it being held off a popular platform will impact it with negativity as well.

Oddly, part of Skyrim's success is not even the core game, its the memes and stupidity of all the glitches that made it funny. I don't think they're aiming for that anymore lol

Last edited:

Tommi84

Yes!! 100% yes!

It will be the same as Skyrim - a buggy mess, with broken quests, missing npcs and boring fighting with boring quests that will take few iterations (limited edition, special edition, 10th anniversary edition and super galactic editions) to polish it in a way that after few years you will only have few bugs present.

Nah, I'm good

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Skyrim is huge, but people still play fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout new vega. They are still streamed regularly on twitch.

No, it won't be the size of skyrim, but it will be huuuuge. Or maybe, it will. We haven't really seen it.

Akyrim, is like the only game in history to have that success and longevity but all the other Bethesda games come quite close.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Skyrim has sold well over 30m copies, official numbers back from 2016 so now easily few milions more, we need to see more of starfield to judge how good it is, but since it wont be on playstation, so only pc+ xbox audience, and u will need relatively good pc/ new xbox series consoles, cap probably is around 15m copies if its extremly good, but again, first lets see more of the game so we can judge its quality better.

Remember its on gamepass on day one, thats right there easily minus 10m copies from all hyped ppl who would otherwise buy it but dont have to.

Realisitically its gonna probably sell below 5m but again, hard to estimate coz we cant judge properly quality of game yet, but we already know 2 major things that are working against it, sales wise- day one on gamepass and relatively small intal base of xbox series consoles/high pc requirements.

Skyrim had no such problems- back when it launched on pc in 2011 u could have 1080p 40 to 60fps experience on very affordable cpu(i5 2500k) and 300$ gpu( 560ti) proof here.

Skyrim and Fallout 4, both are at 15k players on steam currently.

No doubt this will be big as well and be played for years.

Boss Mog

Xbox seems to be putting all their eggs in the Starfield basket. Not sure it'll deliver for them sales-wise especially with it being day 1 on Gamepass.

Banjo64

cumsessed
No, this’ll be similar in size to Fallout IMO. 10m in sales between Xbox and Steam (mainly Steam).

TES is a different beast. People love high fantasy.

mrmustard

Banned
No, because Skyrim is one of the very few 'once in a lifetime' games like Doom that people will be playing and modding even 20 years after the release. Very hard to achieve that.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Skyrim had no such problems- back when it launched on pc in 2011 u could have 1080p 40 to 60fps experience on very affordable cpu(i5 2500k) and 300$ gpu( 560ti)
This was my config back then and Skyrim was my first PC game I buyed myself. I remember asking in a game forum if it would be better on PC or PS3. I was so ignorant back then:messenger_halo:

To beat Skyrim is too hard in my opinion. Skyrim was open world when it was beginning to get cool if you see what I meant by that. It was out before Assasin's Creed 3 to give a frame of reference.
No PS5 version and higher competition in the open world genre won't help. Being a new IP made it more hard for marketing to reach people VS a sequel .

Still, games like No man's sky, Elite Dangerious, Star Citizen... proves that Starfield can be a hit success too. Personally I am still sad that Limit theory failed to go to completion, and will play Starfield as soon as I buy a new PC to be up to par with next gen( my 1060 is getting old...)

PeteBull

fantasy will always be more popular than Sci fi unless we can somehow get bikini spacesuits with helmets that only partially cover your long flowing locks
i bet we could in the 90s or early 2k's, not anymore, under current political correctness climate, unless chick is actually a dude, black dude, and is on a wheelchair and morbidly obese ;*(

I think it will be bigger and better. I just worry how the team will ever be able to beat the size and scope of StarField for their next game

ZiZ

Will it sell? Yeah.
Will it have the same impact as skyrim? Not even close.
It will be more like fallout.

I think it was a wasted opportunity, they should've made it more sci-fi, with alien races and strange planets. More like star trek, star wars, mass effect, and less like the expanse (don't get me wrong I love the show, but not because of it's world or its sci-fi elements)

Spaceman292

Banned
Took TES five entries to reach that popularity so I’ll say no. I’m sure Starfield will have a lot of potential to become a beloved long running franchise though.
In 2063 when the fifth one comes out, THAT will be the good one.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
& where, exactly, did you say that is all this going on?...
When you don't give any actual numbers and just say "people this" and "people that" you can inflate a conversation in a college dorm common room into a worldwide trend. Of course people are discovering this game now and liking it, it is fucking 12 years old and has been updated a few times.

Potential is huge but Bethesda need to get it right. It needs to be more like their older games and less like their newer games. Fallout 4 was pretty much a shooter. I want choices galore in a game like this. You don't take that away. You add more.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
The reason Skyrim had so much staying power, is because of it's community.
It's the modding community that has been fixing and improving Skyrim to this day. Not Bethesda.

If the community doesn't support Startfield, then it will be just another game release.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nah, I think the setting has less wider appeal than Skyrim.

Top Bottom