• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Think Starfeld Will Be New Skyrim?

ahtlas7

the elder scrolls GIF

doubtful. It’s not an established IP. And it’s not multiplatform. And it’s in space - it’ll be popular but not like Skyrim. Skyrim had morrowind and oblivion to pave the way for it - and I remember people saying Skyrim was worse than the two previous games

Ozriel

M$FT
Also, it being held off a popular platform will impact it with negativity as well.

Oddly, part of Skyrim's success is not even the core game, its the memes and stupidity of all the glitches that made it funny. I don't think they're aiming for that anymore lol

You expect that people will hesitate to click the ‘Buy’ button on Steam or Xbox Store simply because it’s not on PlayStation?

Hmm

Memes and bugs didn’t drive Skyrim success. Pre-release hype, stellar reviews and the quality of the final product itself did that.

Ozriel

M$FT
The reason Skyrim had so much staying power, is because of it's community.
It's the modding community that has been fixing and improving Skyrim to this day. Not Bethesda.

If the community doesn't support Startfield, then it will be just another game release.

Skyrim sold 20 million units in 1.5 years before widespread mod content kicked in. It wasn’t ‘just another game’ even without factoring mods.

Highly unlikely this doesn’t become very popular in the mod scene.

Tommi84

The same Skyrim that launched to stellar reviews and multiple GOTY awards? Metacritic 96%? Selling 20 million units In 1.5 years?
Yes, the same Skyrim that was basically a MESS for PS3 with solutions being - stop doing so much in the game or you will have save crashes Skyrim - and other, reported issues.

Sure, it's been how many years since the game was released originally? I have a bug, where i can't literally play THE WHOLE DLC, because, wait for it, I traveled the world TOO MUCH and the only thing that Bethesda achieved is fixing the workaround with wooden platter to gain access to castle Volkihar or whatever this name. So yeah, I recognize the achievements Bethesda did, but this time, the number of connections between stuff will be a magnitude bigger . I have little hope it will work flawlessly for a year after launch.

You expect that people will hesitate to click the ‘Buy’ button on Steam or Xbox Store
Why would they want to buy it if they can just create a new account for MS and use the conversion trick to play the game for few dollars tops?

Last edited:

Neff

Yes, for Xbox and PC owners.

For many others, it's about to become the biggest case of sour grapes since Bayonetta 2.

ironmang

Yes, the same Skyrim that was basically a MESS for PS3 with solutions being - stop doing so much in the game or you will have save crashes Skyrim - and other, reported issues.

Sure, it's been how many years since the game was released originally? I have a bug, where i can't literally play THE WHOLE DLC, because, wait for it, I traveled the world TOO MUCH and the only thing that Bethesda achieved is fixing the workaround with wooden platter to gain access to castle Volkihar or whatever this name. So yeah, I recognize the achievements Bethesda did, but this time, the number of connections between stuff will be a magnitude bigger . I have little hope it will work flawlessly for a year after launch.
Wouldn't be surprised if that's more a PS3 problem than a Skyrim one. PS3 had some serious performance problems towards the end. Can't tell you how many times I had to pull the plug because it froze while syncing trophies lol.

Fabieter

According to your points its all about pure impact and that's impossible. The scale of Bethesda games are still quite unique but nothing like it was in 2011.

tmlDan

You expect that people will hesitate to click the ‘Buy’ button on Steam or Xbox Store simply because it’s not on PlayStation?

Hmm

Memes and bugs didn’t drive Skyrim success. Pre-release hype, stellar reviews and the quality of the final product itself did that.
You really are stuck in a gaming hardcore bubble, in order to sell 10's of millions it needs to hit non-gamers.

Imagine you go to a store/go to the PS store and try to look for the next big game like Starfield and its not on PS and you don't know why? They're not gonna go, I'll buy an xbox (after googling why this game aint on PS), they'll say fuck xbox these games were always on everything.

Memes and bugs coupled with online virality definitely helped it sell way more, normies saw it and were like this looks fun ill buy it too. That's why these games have long legs.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
It comes down to scope and mod support. If it is as big as Skyrim in terms or content and lore and players can mod the shit out of the game on PC, then it will be around for years no doubt...

dezzy8

I think it’ll be huge because of the popularity of TES series. I definitely think it’s going to do Harry Potter numbers.

Kev Kev

For me personally, as long as it's as good as Oblivion, Fallout 3 and 4, and Skyrim, I will be very pleased. I'm really hoping it's most similar to Fallout 4 with it's looting, crafting and settlement building. I still play FO4 and have some pretty insane settlement builds that I keep adding onto every time I pick it back up. Doing that in space and on different planets with updated graphics and (hopefully) improved gameplay sounds like a winner for me.

TonyK

I think it's not possible if it's not released also in Playstation. And I have a Series X and I will play it there.

Bigfroth

No, not sales-wise because it's on fewer devices than Skyrim. It will just sit on Game Pass for all eternity.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I certainly hope it's space skyrim. I think that the lack of history may make this impossible though, at least from a lore standpoint.

I think it'll be like No Man's Sky but with less scope and more complexity. That's sounds like a good time to me.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Being locked away on MS hardware (and likely with very steep specs on PC) ensures it won't be the same cultural touchstone that Skyrim was.

But will it be a benchmark game in the genre? I think so.

EDMIX

Maybe, look how big Fallout IP is.

Hard to say right now, could be flop, could be the next massive IP by them.

SF Kosmo SF Kosmo Agreed.

Last edited:

Gojiira

No, it has less wider appeal but besides that the longevity of Bethesda games is down to one thing and thats the modding community. Skyrims is huge, even Fallout 4 a game running in a better version of the same engine and with a more updated creation kit barely makes a dent compared to the sheer volume of Skyrim mods.
Starfield will be the same, fantasy is just more appealing than scifi.

Ozriel

M$FT
Why would they want to buy it if they can just create a new account for MS and use the conversion trick to play the game for few dollars tops?

These are massive, massive RPG with excellent mod support and significant potential for UGC.

Most PC players will be buying it on Steam. This isn't a linear, 10 hour game you can play through and fully experience in a one month trial.

Millions bought Forza Horizon games, Sea of Thieves and Grounded on Steam...despite them being available on PC Gamepass.

Skyrim is HUGE. Over a decade later people are still playing it and talking about it as if it was just released a year ago. The game has so much attention it's unbelievable.

Do you think Starfeld will have the same impact at all? Do you think it will even have a fraction of the impact that a game like Skyrim has? Skyrim is so massively and insanely popular and Bethesda really knows how to make games that hold up. Even Fallout is still kind of a big deal nowadays.

What can we do without Bethesda and their nearly flawless Western role-playing games? What will happen with this new game do you think?
Nearly flawless western RPGs? Not counting all 13492 bugs I had, are you?

People are expecting the second coming of christ with starfield. It‘ll be full of game breaking bugs, glitches, crashes, there will be little to no polish be done, a sub-par level of detail and terrible charakter animations, voice actors and dialogues.

Shubh_C63

Nope. Because frankly I don't believe it will be better than what Skyrim invoked experiences in players playing in 2011 than in Starfield-2023.
Its not a product that would encapsulate 10 years of innovation with new ideas, it would be tried and tested Sci fi Skyrim...in 2023.

It will sell amazing, 80+MC, riddled with funny bugs and mod support will be crazy good. But it can't rival Skyrim where even non gamers were willing to try it.

Top Bottom