• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do your prefer your Final Fantasy games more medieval or more modern day/sci-fi?

I wished FFXIV would choose a different pricing model instead of pay to play. Perhaps buy to play with microtransactions for cosmetic, and I would definitely give the game a shot. I'm not sure if I would like the mmo combat still, but the setting, the art style and character designs, and story intrigues me.
The story that definitely wouldn't be there if it didn't have a subscription model.

Polling indicates that the playerbase is satisfied with the pricing structure and would rather pay to play.

the_dying_earth.jpg

They should try the trope "so far in the future the technology is forgotten and treated as magic

So....... Final Fantasy Tactics?

Although they had actual magic, too.

Kazuhira

I like both tbh,also a mix like they did in FF6 with magiteks and industrial cities but the era still being kinda medieval.

Surfside

Banned
I don't really have a preference either way. But from the Final Fantasys i played, i enjoyed the ones with a modern setting more.

hotcyder

That was my thought. Why not even mix the two some time?

A edwardian/victorian time frame would be the best for this - sort of the middle period of the industrial revolution, where the world was halfway between the history books and what we know now. I wouldn't even mind if they boosted it up to somewhere in the middle of the 20th century - cars, television and radio are a thing, but the internet and mobile phones are still a long way off, maybe with a slight leaning towards the aesthetics of the 50s and 60s.

Pilgrimzero

I’d like to echo the OPs mention of “Japanese/Asian drama etc.

I understand he games are created by Japanese people so they are going to reflect their society and their way they view entertainment but that’s another thing I liked about the old 2D FFs over the later ones. They were less “Asian drama” etc

See also: Old Zeldas to later Zeldas.

firelogic

I prefer a sci-fi slant to FF rather than medieval. On a related note, I was wondering why FF games still don't have armor changes reflected on the in-game character, at least for mainline instalments. FFI-IX were understandable because of the platforms they were made for but X-XV didn't have changes to armor either, only weapons.

LegendX48

Medieval all the way. The modern day stuff is really boring. Started playing through FF15 and while the game's been great, the setting and world kinda suck.

Zelias

Banned
I enjoy the varying settings of the series but I'll always have a soft spot for the FF6 steampunk aesthetic. It just works so well in the game.

EhoaVash

FF 9s characters have the lamest look Ever

FF13 looks tooo damn anime and modern Korean drama like

FF 10 just looks ugly

Final fantasy 15 is perfect setting also that luminous engine tech demo with that flying dragon girl. These two are the best setting for FF imo and should be the setting going forward

Koozek

I want more medieval. Give us Agni's Philosophy's world
:(
Yeah this but honestly it doesn't matter as long as the next game is good and not a clusterfk. I think Agnis Philosphy did a good job of capturing that medieval feeling with minimal sci-fi elements leaning more towards magic/alchemy.

giphy.gif
Maybe Tabata's new IP will be based on it somehow. Though, technically AP is a mix of modern and fantasy; there were guys with machine guns, cars, and a modern/sci-fi-ish looking city in the background.

Code:
[IMG]http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_k.jpg[/IMG]

yunbuns

Modern/Sci-fi. I hate everything about XIV's setting, lore, characters, etc. so if the rumors are true about XVI, I'm not excited. Also I feel like the Modern and/or sci-fi allows has allowed for a lot more diversity in the settings, characters, etc. than the other way around. Instead of doing medieval fantasy repeatedly, I don't understand why they can't make fantasy games based off other historical periods especially periods outside of Europe.

I lean more towards the traditional fantasy worlds than sci-fi, Final Fantasy X is my favourite in the series and I think the world of Spira mixes the two very well but, for the most part, is less sci-fi than many of the other games. Something about the setting just makes it feel more of an epic adventure than one in a world that is more on the sci-fi side, a more medieval setting also plays into my love of Lord of the Rings and Middle-Earth.

Koozek

Wait, what rumors?
Let's say hints, not rumors.

BD5 (the FFXIV/FFXII/TLR team) has been hiring since at least last year for a big unannounced game:
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/5bd/
I genuinely quite strongly believe that Tabata's division will actually end up doing something with the ideas behind Agni and FF16 will come from the 14 Business Division (which, if you've been watching, has been on a large hiring spree looking for people with non-MMO experience - but also, curiously, still with some online multiplayer experience).

Some of the leads have mysteriously been taken off FFXIV since Heavensward two years ago:
Several of the major team leads on FFXIV stepped down after Heavensward, including the director of The Last Remnant and the FFXII lead planner. :)

In 2.0 and Heavensward, Hiroshi Takai and Mitsutoshi Gondai were assistant directors. Kazutoyo Maehiro was the main scenario writer. Takai was the director of The Last Remnant. Gondai was the lead battle designer for FFXIV. Maehiro was a lead planner on The Last Remnant and worked as a planner/designer for all of Matsuno's "Ivalice" games - FFT, VS, FFXII.

At the end of the Heavensward patch cycle, just before Stormblood, all three stepped aside. Stormblood is carried by new leads who were promoted from the respective teams. So we have a director, a battle planner, and a scenario writer, who worked on the most well received FF game in the last decade, suddenly doing nothing for about a year now.

:thinkingemoji:

yunbuns

Wait, what rumors?

Apparently the XIV team has been hiring for SP stuff if I remember correctly. I'm on mobile so I can't link to anything right now but it's been brought up in a couple of FF threads.

Edit: God I knew you would come through Koozek lol.

BumRush

I'm not sure where FFX falls between futuristic and medieval, but I want more of that please.

X definitely leans more towards modern, but it does blend other elements as well. FF is at it's finest when it doesn't ONLY do one (in my opinion).

Zutrax

I vastly prefer the modern day/sci-fi fantasy to the medieval/typical high fantasy type of elements. Contrary to what a lot of people say, Final Fantasy's 9 and 12 are probably my least favorite of the post 7 Final Fantasy titles in no small part due to this aspect.

15's aesthetic is easily my favorite of the bunch and I'm incredibly excited for the 7 remake since it's style is somewhat similar. Final Fantasy always felt so different and fresh from other JRPG or RPG titles specifically due to it's somewhat contemporary style meshed with small sci-fi and fantasy elements. It's what makes it so special to me. Take those away and it just becomes another anime-fantasy title among a sea of other anime-fantasy titles.

Egida

Neo Member
Oh I see, thanks for the answers. I friggin love FFT, so let's hope for something like FFXII, but this time without Vaans and Penelos.

Voidwolf

I like both settings in FF and any amount of scifi thrown in is welcome. I would like another mainline entry to return to III or IVs form sooner rather than later. I like the idea of them alternating with each numbered entry.

I usually like a mix with more of a steampunk sci-fi rather than super futuristic. I feel like we've been getting a lot of the futuristic sci-fi lately though so I wouldn't mind a totally fantasy one about now.

-NeoTB1-

More fantasy/medieval, less science fiction. The setting is very much tied to how much I enjoy each mainline FF.

Also...
FFT > all mainline entries.

Freddo

Medieval for sure.

My two favourite FF games are FF6 and FF12 and I think they balance between fantasy and sci-fi rather well, especially FF6.

Give me modern or sci/fi any day of the week. I am so tired of medieval settings in RPG's. That is one of the things that sort of sour me on so many WRPG's now. To me they mostly look the same with no identity. I like that Final Fantasy normally has it own distinct and imaginative look to it compared to most RPG's.

Pepboy

Definitely modern/scf-fi.

Absolutely loved FFXV's world.

Agreed. Let Dragon Quest stay fantasy and let FF branch out and experiment. Seems like its mostly worked out well. The issues with recent FF games don't have to do with the setting (well except the nonsense falcielcieciel of ffxiii).

muteki

SciFi or a mixture at least. Not really a FF thing just fiction in general for me, not a big fan of traditionally stylized fantasy. FF8 is my favorite.

That being said, I'd be totally down for a FF9-style throwback game for 16 after 15 and 13, just as a palette cleanser.

Not sci-fi. A mix of magic and some technology is my preference. See FF6-FF9, with FF8 being about as much tech/sci-fi stuff as I would want.

Dark_castle

X definitely leans more towards modern, but it does blend other elements as well. FF is at it's finest when it doesn't ONLY do one (in my opinion).

If you think about it, FF very rarely does only one kind of setting. Really in the mainline series, only the first 5 are (almost) pure medieval fantasy. VI, IX and XII are medieval fantasy plus steampunk. VII is cyberpunk sci-fi, VIII and XIII are modern sci-fi, X is a mishmash of everything.

Only the online FF are like the first 5, high medieval fantasy. As you can see, making a new mainline (offline) FF with pure medieval fantasy will actually in fact be a breath of fresh air after all the experiments they've done for decades. Of course, I don't mind if they do more of sci fi setting, but we hardly get medieval fantasy FF in the first place. People acting like FF has always been medieval fantasy when it hardly has been.

Honestly though, I'm also keen on the idea of a FF set in contemporary world like Shadow Hearts. With a gothic fantasy twist, mix in historical events (alternative of course) and atmospheric/psychological horror element. That would be really interesting.

I personally prefer modern day mixed with some fantasy elements. I do like medieval but I feel you can explore more interesting things by having it set in modern day or even a semi-futuristic setting.

Definitely Sci Fi. I will say though that I like XIV's more naturey/1800s (?) style rather than full on medieval seen in IX. I have very little appreciation for the latter.

Honestly I love what VII, XIII trilogy, and XV does the most.

Top Bottom