• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who 2017 Christmas Special Trailer: "Twice Upon A Time"

ryan13ts

Happy to see Bill too, but what I want is a whole season of only Nardole doing Nardole stuff.
Wait, fuck that, I want a season with Missy as the main protagonist and Nardole as her companion.

Somehow I think that could be surprisingly amazing. Missy trying to be good/not murder people while Nardole keeps her on the narrow, as well as annoying the living fuck out of her the entire time. It could work.

Speaking of Nardole, i seriously hope that if he's not coming back next series, they find a way to wrap up his story. Being stuck on a ship with cyberman that will eventually kill you is a pretty lame way to go out (as well as shitty on the Doctor's part for not coming back for him).

What the fuck is Bill doing in this oh my god Moffat can't you leave anything alone ever.

If Tennant gets to mope for 20 minutes about dying while revisiting all his former companions, I don't see why Bill coming back(when it's fully established she's still around) is an issue. If Moffat brings back Clara then we'll have an argument, but otherwise, I don't see the issue here.

What the fuck is Bill doing in this oh my god Moffat can't you leave anything alone ever.

Clean slate; in an ideal world the Doctor really needs to go into the new era without baggage, and the death of a companion being hours previous would be a hell of a thing to leave around. Cos while she didn't die, the Doctor currently thinks she did. As with Tennant's finale, I imagine he'll see she's okay, and that'll help with the letting go (and not mentioning anything in Jodie's first episode).

So I'm a casual Who fan at best, but my understanding is all the different incarnations of the Doctor are the same person, right? So how do different regeneration hang out with each other? Is it just time travel shenanigans?

Also, how do they explain the different personalities and quirks between regeneration?

Blues1990

So I'm a casual Who fan at best, but my understanding is all the different incarnations of the Doctor are the same person, right? So how do different regeneration hang out with each other? Is it just time travel shenanigans?

Also, how do they explain the different personalities and quirks between regeneration?

For the most part, but each incarnation has his/her own quirks that make them stand out. For example, the Tenth Doctor was cheerful, charismatic, hyperactive and overly enthusiastic, but could equally be demanding & domineering when the situation called for it. On the other-hand, the fifth incarnation was the most open and vulnerable of all the Doctors, to the point where he came across as naïve and inexperienced.

As for the chance that each incarnation interacting with one-another & potentially causing a time paradox, that's where it gets a bit complicated.

In the classic series, external time travel was culturally taboo. Besides, time and space is huge. Like, bigger than you can imagine. Even with The Doctor's shenanigans all across it, he is but a blip on the surface of time and space. Even in the occasion when the 7th and the 10th were in ancient Pompeii, the 10th made sure to avoid his younger incarnation at all costs.

Also, the TARDIS fail-safes to prevent stuff like that.

I don't know if they've ever gone into why, but the conceit is The Doctor carries all the memories forward, but since the body is different, so too is the personality. They've hinted and pointed the idea that regenerations can be somewhat controlled, whether consciously or subconsciously by The Doctor (explaining Capaldi face as a rough message from an older self), but not too much (still not a redhead, as the recent joke goes).

The prevailing fan theory right now is The Doctor reacts to his previous companion with each Regeneration.

Either way, think of it like putting all of your memories in somebody else's body and they get all your stuff.

Clean slate; in an ideal world the Doctor really needs to go into the new era without baggage, and the death of a companion being hours previous would be a hell of a thing to leave around. Cos while she didn't die, the Doctor currently thinks she did. As with Tennant's finale, I imagine he'll see she's okay, and that'll help with the letting go (and not mentioning anything in Jodie's first episode).

I guess I can see the Doctor not knowing what happened with Bill being a bit of a problem.

So, retraction, if Bill has to be in this, I hope she's in the episode for about a minute and then that's it.

takriel

Lol at you guys complaining about Bill. She was a great companion and only got one season. She deserves it. Even if it doesn't make much sense.

tomtom94

I'm getting WW1 vibes, so I wonder if that is the Christmas link.

Honestly it looks as good as it can for a trailer for an episode that's barely into pre-production. Having Bill back is great. Glad to see Gatiss isn't playing the Third Doctor, wish we didn't have to wait five more months :(

Cerium

If Tennant gets to mope for 20 minutes about dying while revisiting all his former companions, I don't see why Bill coming back(when it's fully established she's still around) is an issue. If Moffat brings back Clara then we'll have an argument, but otherwise, I don't see the issue here.

Moffat is bringing back Clara.

It is time travel shenanigans.

Pluto

But Missy's dead though =(
So is Clara, doesn't stop her from exploring time and space in her own Tardis.

The Doctor send some regeneration energy into the ground in the finale, they could say Missy snatched that up while dying and it saved her.

mclem

Believe it or not this will actually be only the second multi-Doctor episode of the modern era.

Well, Time Crash is a definite one but a short one, and I could see people making arguments for The Almost People and Journey's End!

Seeing the stuff from the First Doctor recreated is a neat gimmick (I guess they had most of it already prepared from the docudrama).

I watched The Tenth Planet this weekend partially, to give myself a bit of a grounding in what went on and partially as a prelude to the animated Power of the Daleks. For all the talk of through the years, it amuses me how ineffectual Mondas actually is;
Turns up, drains a bit, burns itself out, the end

mclem

q7fAF1K.png

anneke-polly.jpg

Any word who's playing her, because that's a rather good likeness; Ellie Spicer, like in AAISAT?

mclem

With regards to the earlier seasons that have lost their episodes, I would be fine if they either did a mini-series or a radio drama that brings the new actors (including David Bradley) reading the old scripts and filling in the gaps.

An odd quirk of Doctor Who's missing episodes is that the BBC does actually have all the audio recordings, it's just video that's missing - that's why the animations are viable.

Tregard

Soothsayer
David Bradley has me thinking about who could play the roles of 2nd - 7th Doctor in the future, if the original actors couldn't.

M.Bluth

David Bradley has me thinking about who could play the roles of 2nd - 7th Doctor in the future, if the original actors couldn't.

Don't know who, but I know the 2nd shouldn't be played by the actor in Adventure in Space and Time. He looked and sounded nothing at all like Troughton!

tomtom94

The BBC need to ensure that if anyone is to play the Third Doctor that it is John Pertwee's son, Sean.

Yes. Although there is the question of whether Sean would want to. And he's definitely not going to be able to as long as Gotham is on the air.

(I don't think you're going to see any of the other classics recast. Not just because Doctor Who has always strived to bring back the original actor at all costs, but mainly because bringing back Doctors from too far in the past doesn't seem to me to be worth the amount of explanation necessary... that and Hurndall is universally considered the worst thing about Five Doctors)

mclem

Don't know who, but I know the 2nd shouldn't be played by the actor in Adventure in Space and Time. He looked and sounded nothing at all like Troughton!

'twas Reece Shearsmith. And yes, I agree that he didn't quite have the right qualities to play Troughton

I don't know if they've ever gone into why, but the conceit is The Doctor carries all the memories forward, but since the body is different, so too is the personality. They've hinted and pointed the idea that regenerations can be somewhat controlled, whether consciously or subconsciously by The Doctor (explaining Capaldi face as a rough message from an older self), but not too much (still not a redhead, as the recent joke goes).

The prevailing fan theory right now is The Doctor reacts to his previous companion with each Regeneration.

Either way, think of it like putting all of your memories in somebody else's body and they get all your stuff.
So how does Rose influence Ten? Donna/Wilfred influence Eleven? Clara influence Twelve?

Honest question, I'd like to read some theories on this

LordRaptor

I'm pretty sure if you could meet your teenage self you would both have very different mannerisms and also find each other insufferably annoying - its like that but on a much bigger scale

Blues1990

An odd quirk of Doctor Who's missing episodes is that the BBC does actually have all the audio recordings, it's just video that's missing - that's why the animations are viable.

Weird. Have the BBC re-released the recordings in some format?

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm pretty sure if you could meet your teenage self you would both have very different mannerisms and also find each other insufferably annoying - its like that but on a much bigger scale

First Doctor would beat Smith Doctor so bad they'd have to call social services.

Somehow I think that could be surprisingly amazing. Missy trying to be good/not murder people while Nardole keeps her on the narrow, as well as annoying the living fuck out of her the entire time. It could work.

Two talented comics, give them a spinoff!

Blader

So how does Rose influence Ten? Donna/Wilfred influence Eleven? Clara influence Twelve?

Honest question, I'd like to read some theories on this
The thinking goes that Ten adopted his accent from Nine's travels with Rose, and Twelve adopted his accent from Eleven being with Amy. I think RTD actually endorsed this theory but I'm not sure if Moffat has ever acknowledged it.

Top Bottom