• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who 2017 Christmas Special Trailer: "Twice Upon A Time"

So how does Rose influence Ten? Donna/Wilfred influence Eleven? Clara influence Twelve?

Honest question, I'd like to read some theories on this

9 > 10 is Rose. Tennant has an Estuary accent and is young and handsome, presumably to make himself more 'appealing' to Rose.

10 > 11 is the lack of anyone. By the end of End of Time the Doctor is all alone. He regenerates into a younger, innocent looking version to essentially make himself more appealing to everyone. Quote from Deep Breath:

VASTRA: He looked young. Who do you think that was for?

CLARA: Me?

VASTRA: Everyone. I wear a veil as he wore a face for the same reason.

11 > 12 is Clara. He trusted her and assumed she would be fine seeing his true, older self. Again, from Deep Breath:

VASTRA: The Doctor regenerated in your presence. The young man disappeared, the veil lifted. He trusted you. Are you judging him?

12 > 13 presumably Bill/Missy. Moffat says he knew the next Doctor would be female so I presume there might be some groundwork in the Christmas special too.

12 > 13 presumably Bill/Missy. Moffat says he knew the next Doctor would be female so I presume there might be some groundwork in the Christmas special too.

In another context, the entire Missy arc has been groundwork for 13, in terms of establishing a precedent. I must say I'll be sad if Missy is really dead. Michelle Gomez really lights up the screen, even when she's doing something unspeakably evil.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sweet, can't wait.

Also the thing that I am looking forward the most is the moment before 12 regenerate and the brief moment of 13 emerging from her regeneration and making sense of the situation.

So how does Rose influence Ten? Donna/Wilfred influence Eleven? Clara influence Twelve?

Honest question, I'd like to read some theories on this

Sorry, forgot about this thread forever. The full original theory is here, but there are tons of other permutations, as with any fan theory.

Rose influences Nine, not Ten. He adopts a younger, more romantically-available persona with a similar accent for her.

Ten didn't want to go. He was one of the more open and honest Doctors - likely for Rose again - and everything he had shared with Donna and Wilfred potentially made their lives much worse. So the youth stayed on, but The Eleventh Doctor becomes far more circumspect. He lies and cajoles with his friends, causing him to lose two companions in the process, nearly three.

The theory hasn't gone as far as Twelve, but I'd hazard a guess that the older version is a result of a few things. One, Eleven was one of the older Doctors lifespan-wise and he wanted a face that more reflected that. River comes in, because with this regeneration, he's now of proper age for his wife (Kingston and Capaldi are both in their 50s).

Finally, with Clara, an older Doctor removes the potential romantic entanglements he touched upon with Rose and Amy. (They constantly touch upon this in the Clara season.)

As Moffat put it for Twelve and Clara, "Okay, we don't have to do all the complicated emotional stuff. We can just take off and have a tremendous amount of fun. And Clara has realized that apparently scary Scotsman really is that floppy haired scientist she first met. He's still there and he still adores her as much as he ever did, if not slightly more."

But the thing is, Twelve needs her more than Eleven does. He needs her around simply to be human. Moffat also notes that Twelve and Clara are both people who are "slow to friendship" and "quick to anger".

tomtom94

Bump - the official synopsis has been revealed - seemingly early - by BBC America in a subsequently deleted DVD listing.

Two Doctors stranded in a forbidding snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. And a British army captain seemingly destined to die in the First World War, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor's story.

This is the magical last chapter in the Twelfth Doctor's epic adventure. He must face his past to decide his future. And the Doctor will realise the resilience of humanity, discovering hope in his darkest frozen moment.

It's the end of an era. But the Doctor's journey is only just beginning.

I kind of like the notion that "end of an era" isn't just referring to Capaldi's run, but the notion of the Doctor being a man.

Like, it hadn't occurred to me the possibility of the BBC just... keeping the Doctor as a woman for the next 10+ years or so.

Matesamo

Cannot wait for the new season, it's going to be such a tough wait after the Christmas Special. I wish I did a reaction video when they revealed the new Doctor; my 12 year old son was agast, my 10 year old daughter was thrilled.

Boem

I kind of like the notion that "end of an era" isn't just referring to Capaldi's run, but the notion of the Doctor being a man.

Like, it hadn't occurred to me the possibility of the BBC just... keeping the Doctor as a woman for the next 10+ years or so.

Don't forget that they announced the first female Doctor after the Wimbledon Men's Final.

It's probably more coincidence than anything of course (they had to find the most watched BBC tv event around that timeframe), but I have to imagine someone chuckling when they had to put this at the end of that teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/GDJlNzrCs7c?t=56

Sheroking

Bump - the official synopsis has been revealed - seemingly early - by BBC America in a subsequently deleted DVD listing.

So basically the Gattis soldier bravely and knowingly going to his death for the right reasons will convince both Doctors to embrace their own "deaths" and regenerate.

Cool.

So basically the Gattis soldier bravely and knowingly going to his death for the right reasons will convince both Doctors to embrace their own "deaths" and regenerate.

Cool.

That was my thought, too. Well, it is after all very close to the centenary of the battle of Passchendale.

Has anybody else done the sums, by the way. I don't know if the Brigadier has an official age but Nicholas Courtney who played him was born in 1929. It seems to rule out the possibility that the Captain played by Mark Gatiss might be his father, but I think the temptation exists to make some kind of connection. Perhaps an uncle or possibly a grandfather?

Mark Gatiss being the kind of history fanboy he is, at first sight of the original teaser a few months ago I thought he might be playing Doctor Who's friend Winston Churchill in his warrior phase, but the rank is wrong. If the setting is late 1917 the window is wrong too. Although in 1916 he served as commander of the 6th Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers after the Gallipoli debacle, Churchill was back in Whitehall as Minister of Munitions in late July, 1917.

Boem

Has anybody else done the sums, by the way. I don't know if the Brigadier has an official age but Nicholas Courtney who played him was born in 1929. It seems to rule out the possibility that the Captain played by Mark Gatiss might be his father, but I think the temptation exists to make some kind of connection. Perhaps an uncle or possibly a grandfather?

Mark Gatiss being the kind of history fanboy he is, at first sight of the original teaser a few months ago I thought he might be playing Doctor Who's friend Winston Churchill in his warrior phase, but the rank is wrong. If the setting is late 1917 the window is wrong too. Although in 1916 he served as commander of the 6th Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers after the Gallipoli debacle, Churchill was back in Whitehall as Minister of Munitions in late July, 1917.

I was expecting a link to the brigadier when they announced it, but I kinda hope they don't go in that direction. However, I saw this alternative theory on reddit that I really liked. It's a bit long but I thought it was a good theory:

Here's my Twice Upon a Time theory from a similar post in /doctorwho.
Possible spoilers ahead – read at your own risk. This post may have spoilers about the identity of a key character and a rough idea of where the story could go. It’s still a theory in progress and doesn’t cover everything. Bear in mind my tinfoil hat theories usually are wrong.

The OP’s post and linked article confirm my theory that Mark Gatiss is playing Captain Noel Chavasse, a British military doctor in WWI (a war doctor if you like). Here's a photo of Chavasse in uniform and here’s a photo of Gatiss in uniform. Gatiss looks a lot like him, and the Captain's real life story fits in with the series 10 themes of duty and self-sacrifice.

The Captain was awarded the Victoria Cross twice (VC & Bar) for his actions in WWI. From War History Online.

He received his first VC in 1916 for saving 20 wounded men in the line of fire in No Man’s Land by Guillemont, France. He carried several of the men 500 yards under enemy fire.
One year later, Chavasse was wounded in action at Wieltje, Belgium. He continued to treat wounded men and search No Man’s Land for more injured troops until he was exhausted from his own wounds.

He died (from his wounds a few days later) in August 1917. He is the only recipient to receive two Victoria Crosses for actions in World War I.

The two Doctors have arrived at a moment in a WWI battle (likely the Third Battle of Ypres) that is suspended in time. The Doctors bring the Captain into the Tardis. At some point they figure out who he is and his role in history. Now 1 and 12 have to make a choice that will have consequences for the future. If the Captain returns to the battle, he will die. If he doesn’t return a lot of others that he saves will die. Do the Doctors tell him and let him make the choice, or do they not say anything to him? Does the Captain accept his fate or does he try to change it?

I see this reflecting the choice the Doctors must make - whether to accept regeneration or death, and the consequences of each choice. Captain Chavasse becomes a motivating factor in their making the decision. Once the time is no longer suspended the Captain will return to do his duty and meet his fate.

The Captain becomes the "resonant echo" that Gatiss has mentioned and plays a key role in shaping the moral code of the Doctors’ future regenerations. The 1st Doctor may have been a lot more like the Master than we know. Maybe this is when 1 loses his Rickness and becomes the Doctor. It’s similar to how 12’s rescue of young Davros instilled the concept of mercy in him and subsequently in the Daleks.

If you made it this far thanks for reading it. Add your thoughts or critiques. The takeaway is Gatiss playing Captain Chavasse.

All credit to reddit user Starlifter121, because I'm not nearly clever enough to think of something like that myself. Here's a link to his comment if anyone wants to give him a like: https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/...f_the_christmas_special_twice_upon_a/dn2r63b/

Whether he's right or not (and he might very well be), I thought it was a good idea.

I don't quite get the term "rickness", but I take it this is a reference to the rogue trope, like Rick the con man in Left for Dead 2 or a similarly named con man in Zootopia.

Boem

I don't quite get the term "rickness", but I take it this is a reference to the rogue trope, like Rick the con man in Left for Dead 2 or a similarly named con man in Zootopia.

It's a reference to Rick from Rick & Morty I think. But I was confused as well.

tomtom94

I'm hoping the fan theory that Gatiss is something to do with the Brigadier is incorrect for so many reasons.

I think his identity has to be a twist though. As TVTropes put it, Gatiss is billed so prominently and yet his character doesn't yet have a name beyond "The Captain". It seems likely that they're protecting his true identity for some reason.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Unrelated, but felt it best to post here, any ideas of where I can get this jacket or an extremely similar one?

doctor-who-nonbreaking.jpg

I'm aware it's just a grey jacket, but I was trying to get the specific make on it to no avail, trying to get one for a friend.

Top Bottom