• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

rtcn63

I cannot be more hyped! This is awesome! I was almost ready to give up on the show, because these last two seasons were just mediocre in my opinion, but this is kind of the fresh new take they need to take to breathe some life back into the show. I mean I liked the idea of Capaldi as the Doctor, but the scripts he's had have been terrible. His best episode was the season finale. If she's anything as good as Missy's actress, she'll be great. Missy has been the best thing about the show for awhile now.

It'll probably still be mediocre considering the new showrunner (unless you like your string-tugging super on the nose), but I mean, 10 seasons in I've learned to just enjoy what I can.

Remember Ashildr? I try not to.

Toxi

Banned
I really need to catch up on Capaldi's run. I loved him in his first season, despite the writing issues. One of my favorite actors in the role.

Whittaker will have a tough act to follow, but she'll no doubt be great.

marrec

Banned
This makes me want to actually watch the show. I've never seen any, and 9 seasons are on amazon prime. Are they all worth watching?

Ummm.... yes, with a caveat.

Some of the seasons are only worth watching if you end up enjoying the particular campiness and inherent sillyness of it all. But that's the fun of it I guess.

Ok I see BritBox is a streaming option. Good. Would you guys recommend the old series or starting with the new? I already have Amazon Prime.

This makes me want to actually watch the show. I've never seen any, and 9 seasons are on amazon prime. Are they all worth watching?

In my opinion, yes, it's an amazing show. Some people will say you can skip to the Matt Smith years, but the first few seasons all the way through Matt Smith are fantastic.

Fantastic choice, but I'm sad these things never get revealed in the show with the actual regeneration itself. Would have been a much nicer surprise that way.

But hey, looking forward to seeing the shows new dynamic and the Doctor adjusting to a wholey unfamiliar set of organs! Watching the character wear in a new, unfamiliar body and personality to go with it is always fun, so adding in another layer on top of that sounds like it could be brilliant.

mclem

Season 5 is probably the standout, and that was a fresh start (like this will probably be) without too much tying back to 1-4. That said, seasons 2-4 (plus some specials between 4 and 5, which sometimes online services omit; take care with that) have many peoples' favourite Doctor leading them, and there's a couple of absolute standout episodes among those (in particular, the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead two-parter does have some important links to 5+), and 'Blink' from S3 is frequently topping the polls for the best episode ever.

I'd just watch it all. You haven't really experienced Doctor Who unless you've seen both the highs and the lows.

IDK how I feel about this. Not that I'm really opposed to, it will be interesting and want to give her a chance, they've preparing the show for this as well.

However I'm still a bit "shocked"? Who knows, maybe I fall in love though :p

Kimawolf

Another white person... but hey its finally a woman. So i imagine we only have to wait another 30 years for someone not white.

rtcn63

Never seen anything with Jodie in it, but really interested in seeing her in series 11 as The Doctor. Gonna try to go in completely blind as I did with series 10, it was so nice watching not knowing what the next episode would bring (I didn't even watch the "Next Time"-segments at the end of the episodes, lol).

Fuck the "next time" segments and previews, all they do is spoil the episode's major reveals. Season 10 is particularly bad with it.

Ash735

I'm worried about the show still for the reason I had before, Chibnall is going to be the lead, as much as people hate Moffat, he still wrote some brilliant stories before and after being the head of the show.

marrec

Banned
The only problem I see now is that they've finally cast a woman as the Doctor but at the same time given the show to Chibnall.

What's that quote, "backwards and in high heels"?

iFirez

A black Doctor would be pretty fucked if they went anywhere past the 70s.

Other than the language issues (words people used for different people) I could potentially see some amazing stories coming out of it. Especially as these people disrespect the Doctor and then end up having to praise them to no ends after they've saved their lives.

The Cowboy

Fantastic choice, but I'm sad these things never get revealed in the show with the actual regeneration itself. Would have been a much nicer surprise that way.

Yeah i would have loved them to keep it quiet and had it revealed in the episode - would have been fantastic.

I remember how i felt when it seemed they had pulled it off in The Stolen Earth, it was shocking and such an OMG!!!! moment - and then to find out 1 episode later they hadn't done it was such a disappointment (but also great as i loved David Tennant).

Alienfan

Another white person... but hey its finally a woman. So i imagine we only have to wait another 30 years for someone not white.

They had a gay black companion last season, the companions in doctor who are pretty much the main characters. I'd be surprised if they didn't eventually have a black doctor some point soon, the show has done a great job embracing diversity

Sheroking

Other than the language issues (words people used for different people) I could potentially see some amazing stories coming out of it. Especially as these people disrespect the Doctor and then end up having to praise them to no ends after they've saved their lives.

Hey man, a black female Doctor could be Shakespeare's new blackamoor lady.

Philippo

Wew lads, the new showrunner will have to work his ass to prove his new direction, with a a female doctor to boot!

Congrats to the actress, i'm sure she'll have the time of her life.

JC Lately

Well I for one am disgusted. I can't believe the show runners are dropping the ball like this. Years of excitement and build up just take the obvious cop-out. I'm not even sure I even want to watch the show any more.

I mean, how is the Doctor still not ginger??? Its getting to be unbelievable at this point. Just had to go with another blonde? Ugh. So uncreative. Childhood ruined!

j/k in case you couldn't tell

beril

I'm with Donna Noble on this one. Skinny bit of nothing.

I like him as a friend.

Yep none of the doctors have done anything for me in that regard. Which is fine; the doctor isn't really supposed to be sexual imo.
But I hope this move means we get some hot male eyecandy for the companions now instead.

Kuraudo

Banned
The only problem I see now is that they've finally cast a woman as the Doctor but at the same time given the show to Chibnall.

What's that quote, "backwards and in high heels"?

Chibnall's first move as showrunner was to cast the first female Doctor.

I'm a lot more confident in him now than I was before.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They've had black companions before, they faced the race issue already. Heck, half the episodes are usually set in space and then another percentage in the future so Earth history can easily be made a non-issue.

Not seen anything with Jodie in it. Looking forward to seeing her first appearance.

jwk94

I'm starting to think some people here haven't watched the show. You do know the last assistant was a black lesbian right?
True, but they even had Bill pause for a second when she realized they were in the past. The main villain in that episode even looked down on her for being black. Everyone else was fine with it though. Overall, that was a really good episode.

I think the small problem you run into when comparing a black companion and black Doctor is that the companion would be the doctor's associate. The companion is with the doctor so everyone doesn't bat an eye at it. However, if the doctor is the POC in the past, then the people of that Era might have a problem with this person bossing em around or being more intelligent than them.

jstripes

Banned
First interview:

8. What are you most excited about?
I’m most excited about becoming part of a family I didn’t even know existed. I was born in 1982 - it’s been around longer than me, and it’s a family I couldn’t ever have dreamed I’d be part of.

tfw the new Doctor is younger than you. -_-

Wew lads, the new showrunner will have to work his ass to prove his new direction, with a a female doctor to boot!

Congrats to the actress, i'm sure she'll have the time of her life.

In all honesty, this series is so broad in scope and appeal that it regularly alienates entire segments of its fanbase no matter what they do and who is running it. Don't like this run? Eh, give it three years.

Top Bottom