• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

If you want to get a taste of the sort of bombastic speeches we might hear from her role as the Doctor, watch this vid.

I'm so excited!

And if they ever do a multi doctor story she already has practice arguing with Doctors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgsYfRPmNDs

I wonder what accent they are going to go with. I do love her natural accent but maybe they will go with something less distinct like how they had Tennent lay off his natural Scottish accent..

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
If there was a chance Matt Lucas would be back, they wouldn't write him off the way they did. Ditto with Bill. Those were "outs" for both characters.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't cast a single companion: a 20-something year old man.

i miss Bill, i hope we see her again in the future. i was glad she was just a companion and didn't have some prophesy around her like claire, donna and rose.

Davide

From a story perspective, I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with this yet.

From an entertainment perspective though, it's going to be fresh and a lot more interesting. Might as well be positive about it since it's happening. I'm no where near as excited as I was for Capaldi as the Doctor but that would probably be true for whoever would be picked.

Now would be the best time to bring back Captain Jack. Maybe even for a series, not going to be happen but it would be less odd than the Doctor suddenly picking a male companion.

One thing I miss is the audio commentary that used to be put up on the BBC website during the Davies/Gardner period. Unlike Doctor Who Confidential, which was big enough to be vulnerable to cost cutting, this was a straightforward commentary from those involved in the production of each episode.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Oieeeee yooouuuu watch your tone misteeeeerrrr krane

Let's not throw shade at Frasier. The Moons all having different accents despite being from the same area and no one ever mentioning it was always genius.

It was like this weird thing which turned Frasier into a Twilight Zone sporadically.

Not

Banned
lol. Try Downton Abbey, most of the servants and normal people in that are from Yorkshire.
Isn't Daphne supposed to be from Manchester?

I DUNNO YES MAYBE I JUST WATCHED BROADCHURCH AND I WAS LIKE WHY DOES THAT VOICE SOUND FAMILIAR AND I REMEMBERED I HAD BEEN WATCHING A LOT OF ANOTHER SHOW

Would it help if I actually knew what a Yorkshire accent sounded like?

I DUNNO YES MAYBE I JUST WATCHED BROADCHURCH AND I WAS LIKE WHY DOES THAT VOICE SOUND FAMILIAR AND I REMEMBERED I HAD BEEN WATCHING A LOT OF ANOTHER SHOW

Like a Yorkshire pudding in human form

Sean Bean (Ned Stark) and Mark Addy (King Robert Baratheon) speak with their natural Yorkshire accents in Game of Thrones. Contrast this with the accent of Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister). Although Headey's father is from Yorkshire and she spent much of her childhood there and could probably speak with that accent, in the show she plays a woman from a southern kingdom of Westeros and uses a generic, vaguely southern English accent which sounds a little posh to English ears.

https://youtu.be/e_LpTmWGLHk

I like her natural accent, she sounds like Daphne from Frasier

The actress who played that part was raised in East Grinstead, a very long way from the North. Her accent wobbles quite a lot but evidently she was trying for Manchester (not in Yorkshire, but northern).

Mr. Sam

Frasier's one of my favourite shows but accurate English accents are not its strong point. I do like the episode where Niles goes to England to get Daphne's dad and ends up in a pub from 1908.

sturmdogg

I have never heard Jodie talk before, never seen her before really, but my gawd she has the cutest accent...and when she talks ( on the BBC interview in the Doctor Who FB page) she's like so animated and cute...golly gee.

And then she appears on Doctor Who and she's the meanest person ever...lol.

I have never heard Jodie talk before, never seen her before really, but my gawd she has the cutest accent...and when she talks ( on the BBC interview in the Doctor Who FB page) she's like so animated and cute...golly gee.

I am going to be extremely bummed if they have her do a straight English accent for Who.

Platy

Which means she is perfect for the character.

A good doctor can do both "cute old granpa who can't hurt a fly" and "i will muder you in ways that would make a mexican cartel afraid" when the situation requires

mclem

They should pay him to overdub some classic episodes in broad Yorkshire accent: would make for delicious special editions.

I was actually thinking the other day that a great Easter Egg for the season Blu-Ray would be to get Nick Briggs to overdub all of Bill-as-human's dialogue from the last episode in the sing-song Cyberman voice - strictly speaking, that's what they'd be hearing, after all...

tomtom94

I was actually thinking the other day that a great Easter Egg for the season Blu-Ray would be to get Nick Briggs to overdub all of Bill-as-human's dialogue from the last episode in the sing-song Cyberman voice - strictly speaking, that's what they'd be hearing, after all...

I think there's an implication that the Cybermen "translate" Bill's dialogue like the Dalek speech in Witch's Familiar as well, isn't there? As hilarious as it would be to hear Briggs do it word-for-word...

EGM1966

That would be good one.

image.php

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/11/new-doctors-costume-revealed.html

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Good promo shot. Very warm colors. Digging her style. Hopefully they nail hers right off the bat. Took them awhile to settle on 12 just being a middle age rocker.

Top Bottom