• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

Veelk

Banned
I didn't much like Capaldi's run because they never figured out quite what to do with him. He starts off as a magic Sherlock (even using some of the same lines), they realize that's not working, so they have him be silly another episode, dark yet another, blah blah blah. It's the same problem as with Clara where they never solidified what kind of companion she's supposed to be.

I don't blame Capaldi himself at all. He did an admirable job with the material given. But Moffatism has long since set in and not much of it worked anymore.

7th Doctor got course corrected pretty hard. Was basically a clown minus the technicolor of Six, and then halfway through dude basically became the fuckin' Joker.

Then he gets mopped by walking out of his Tardis without checking anything and immediately takes like three bullets to the torso.

His TARDIS interior for the movie is my absolute favorite TARDIS interior, too.

They is too often used as a collective term. I'm just going to keep on referring to the doctor as "him" unless I otherwise mean Whittaker's version. If people don't like that then tough, they can invent their own weird little gender pronoun to account for the gender fluidity of a regenerating alien.

No need to invent. That's what singular they is for.

I'm not getting into this. It's just too strange for an individual that also happens to be different people.

Maybe they should just pick the person best suited for the role and not do it just to piss people off like some trolling juvenile.

I like sampling a thread by reading the first and laast few pages before diving in, but tell me this is not why this thread is 18 pages long.

Still in the middle of s2 of Broadchurch. She's still great in that.

Also Just saw the Black Mirror episode about the memory chip with her in it. She's also really great in that too since she has to convey so many stages of a relationship and the minute reactions to specific characters.

I like sampling a thread by reading the first and laast few pages before diving in, but tell me this is not why this thread is 18 pages long.

Thanks for selectively picking out a few key posts and being a complete asshole about the whole thing. Shall I cherry pick posts from your history and build a narrative of you being an utter a-hole?

It does my fucking head in having to be policed and judged for every fucking thing. There's no half measures here. You've either gotta be fully for it or fully against, if you're not a narrative is built against you as one or the other.

tchocky

If you want to be pedantic about it, it took a while extra day for 12 to hit 18 pages so this thread is moving faster. It took 11 days to hit 23 pages.

So while it's longer over time, this thread still has some time before you can make such claims.

Also in that thread the announcement of Capaldi doesn't happen until halfway through the thread because of the way BBC announced it, so this thread is already longer.

maruchan

7th Doctor got course corrected pretty hard. Was basically a clown minus the technicolor of Six, and then halfway through dude basically became the fuckin' Joker.

Then he gets mopped by walking out of his Tardis without checking anything and immediately takes like three bullets to the torso.

His TARDIS interior for the movie is my absolute favorite TARDIS interior, too.

Once ace joined the 7th he just becomes awesome. Ace is still my favorite campainion.

I like capaldalis tardis book shelve because it reminds me of the movies tardis a throw back to that tardis..

Vagabundo

That episode was so silly I almost stopped right there

Dr Who has always been silly, crazy and/or terrifying; part of its charm.

Tom Baker was my favourite. There was a great one called the Ark In Space. Loved it.

I haven't much watched the newer series. I should do a catch up, skipping the kruft.

tomtom94

To try and bring this thread round to a slightly more positive discussion, series 10 is going to be on the iPlayer for the next 12 days which gives you just enough time to watch/rewatch one episode a day before it disappears.

Even if you gave up on Capaldi early on I strongly recommend checking out at least the highlights (World Enough and Time, Thin Ice, Oxygen).

tomtom94

Official BBC response to complaints: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/DoctorWhoJodieWhittaker/

BBC One, Doctor Who casting announcement, 16 July 2017

BBC Logo
Complaint:

Some viewers contacted us unhappy that Jodie Whittaker has been cast as the new Doctor.

Response:

Since the first Doctor regenerated back in 1966, the concept of the Doctor as a constantly evolving being has been central to the programme. The continual input of fresh ideas and new voices across the cast and the writing and production teams has been key to the longevity of the series.

The Doctor is an alien from the planet Gallifrey and it has been established in the show that Time Lords can switch gender.

More at the link but yeah there are only so many ways in the English language to say "shut up and stop whining".

Jodie's a puppet!

https://twitter.com/drpuppet/status/887698519456436224

jnrRLOR.jpg

I know it's besides the point but I just finished watching fleabag and that girls (forget the name right now) seems like she would have been fun it was her

Blader

If you're finding series 8 a slog, honestly I'd just skip to series 9. Maybe watch Mathieson's two episodes (Mummy/Flatline) because they're really good. But series 9 was top drawer.

It was just the opposite for me: series 8 has a ton of top-notch episodes (but also a handful of stinkers), whereas series 9 is more consistent, but outside of a strong start and finish, it's a lot of so-so episodes in a row.

I rather loved Robot of Sherwood. I usually enjoy Gatiss's writing in the series, though I suspect my tastes in this may place me in a minority here. This was the lightest ever of Gatiss's Doctor Who scripts, and in my opinion all the better for not taking itself too seriously.

Audience appreciation and critical response were quite respectable, too. It's easy to get caught up in a fannish echo chamber and forget that this is a TV show with a viewership rivalling some popular soap operas.

I have enjoyed Peter Capaldi's run, and particularly loved the Michelle Gomez Missy arc, which came to a satisfyingly strong ending. I have always enjoyed Michelle's comic talent and would not have been disappointed if she had been chosen to look after the TARDIS key.

In other highlights, the two-episode finale of Series 9 (three if you count Face the Raven) was some of the finest television I have seen, though not exactly the most accessible to the casual viewer. Moffat had much longer to establish a presence and make a mark as show runner, and also built on a solid record of award-winning writing (not to slight Davies, who is also a superb writer). He attracted new writers to the show, including Richard Curtis and Jamie Mathieson whose episodes frequently appear in best-of lists.

Another show runner comes in, and we're promised a very different new actor in the role. I'm sanguine about the show's future.

Sheroking

Robots of Sherwood may not be a good episode, but it will always hold a special place in my heart because it had The Doctor flipping off Robin Hood in it.

mclem

Official BBC response to complaints: http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/complaint/DoctorWhoJodieWhittaker/

More at the link but yeah there are only so many ways in the English language to say "shut up and stop whining".

Now, admittedly it might just be press-release-speak, but I'm interested to hear that she has a specific vision for what she wants her Doctor to be. IIRC Matt Smith didn't, really, until he'd done a bit of research, particularly of Troughton?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Now, admittedly it might just be press-release-speak, but I'm interested to hear that she has a specific vision for what she wants her Doctor to be.

Pretty much all Doctors do, don't they? I vaguely remember Capaldi saying he wanted his Doctor to be more Pertwee-like. I mean, he didn't always get written that way (Robots of Sherwood...) but he tried his best to bring that across.

mclem

Pretty much all Doctors do, don't they? I vaguely remember Capaldi saying he wanted his Doctor to be more Pertwee-like. I mean, he didn't always get written that way (Robots of Sherwood...) but he tried his best to bring that across.

I elaborated on that a bit, in that - like Jodie - Matt Smith is another who wasn't really 'a fan' prior to the role.

Sulik2

A new show runner is coming on board as well right? I still think Moffat should have left in of series 7. I'll be happy to hop back onto the doctor who train with a new doctor and show runner. Are they changing companions too?

tomtom94

A new show runner is coming on board as well right? I still think Moffat should have left in of series 7. I'll be happy to hop back onto the doctor who train with a new doctor and show runner. Are they changing companions too?

New showrunner is Chris Chibnall (Broadchurch, Law and Order UK). There will be a new companion, there is a rumour that Matt Lucas might come back from series 10 as well though.

Sheroking

If there was a chance Matt Lucas would be back, they wouldn't write him off the way they did. Ditto with Bill. Those were "outs" for both characters.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't cast a single companion: a 20-something year old man.

If there was a chance Matt Ryan would be back, they wouldn't write him off the way they did. Ditto with Bill. Those were "outs" for both characters.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't cast a single companion: a 20-something year old man.
Matt Ryan was in a single episode of Torchwood and never once came into the main DW universe.

Top Bottom