• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i quite like her accent and the way she talks. it makes me wonder what kind of doctor she will be. i've only really seen her in serious roles so can't imagine her being as excited/happy as 10 or 11 could be. i loved capaldi's grumpy attitude but i want to go back to someone like 10 + 11.

i'm going to miss capaldi though because he talks exactly like i do (he's from the same part as glasgow as me) so it's a lot easier to understand when the audio quality is poor. for some reason i always have trouble understand dialog in Doctor Who so put subtitles on. maybe it's the way it's mixed? i have no idea really

I am finishing up Broadchurch season 3 and it's weird watching Jodie Whittaker in any scene now. I am constantly looking for any flashes of the Doctor in her performance, which is absolutely ridiculous. But then she has a scene with Rory and fan fiction in my head starts to go to work.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Could you imagine if she goes to that space bar we last saw him at and he starts chatting her up not knowing she's The Doctor? That would be a phenomenally fun moment.

tumblr_mgj2e1TpXZ1rvzu9do1_500.jpg

tomtom94

I am finishing up Broadchurch season 3 and it's weird watching Jodie Whittaker in any scene now. I am constantly looking for any flashes of the Doctor in her performance, which is absolutely ridiculous. But then she has a scene with Rory and fan fiction in my head starts to go to work.

Adds even more to this. (No, it's not just a re-enactment of that scene from DOTD, keep watching)

I can't wait till we get our first Brummie Doctor.

Adrian Lester (from Hustle) has talked very openly about wanting the role - though I can't recall the last time I saw him speak in a Brummie accent on TV, he is from Birmingham. I was never sure he'd fit the Doctor though... in a sense he's more of a Bond type.

mclem

Adrian Lester (from Hustle) has talked very openly about wanting the role - though I can't recall the last time I saw him speak in a Brummie accent on TV, he is from Birmingham. I was never sure he'd fit the Doctor though... in a sense he's more of a Bond type.

I'd say Mickey Bricks isn't a million miles away from the Doctor; uses his intelligence to outwit his enemies.

Was trying to think of male heroes whose default behavior isn't to punch the problem and kind of a bummer how hard it is to think of one.

But finally I got one -- Burn Notice. The format of the show was similar to DW, with a hero arriving at a new problem to solve each episode, and doing his best to fix the problem with as little blood as possible.

Slowdive

Banned
The reveal video has 16 million views.

The reveal has been watched 9.8 million times on the BBC One Facebook channel so far, with over 2.5 million views on the Doctor Who Twitter account – making it the most successful tweet of all time for Doctor Who.

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama, says: “To see the overwhelmingly positive response to the news that Jodie Whittaker will star as the Thirteenth Doctor, and know that the reveal has had over sixteen million views online so far, is just phenomenal. It’s exhilarating to see Doctor Who engaging with people on so many different levels and I cannot wait for the audience to see her in action on BBC ONE this Christmas.”

The teaser trailer, which debuted on Friday evening before the BBC One 6 O’Clock News, has been watched a further 4.8 million times online.

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-reports-overwhelmingly-positive-response-to-13-reveal-85918.htm

Was trying to think of male heroes whose default behavior isn't to punch the problem and kind of a bummer how hard it is to think of one.

But finally I got one -- Burn Notice. The format of the show was similar to DW, with a hero arriving at a new problem to solve each episode, and doing his best to fix the problem with as little blood as possible.

You know who else was like that?

JIM ROCKFORD

(watch the Rockford Files. It's a very good show)

SpaceWolf

Banned
Please don't bring back Captain Jack.

His time has passed, his story is over. The Doctor's farewell to him in the bar was the perfect capper to their relationship.

I wouldnt mind multiple companions or 1 main companion and some side ones and come in and out like they did during the RTD era or last season with Bill, Nordal and Missy.

And it would be cool for them to do something with Captain Jack eventually. Gonna be interesting to see if they do many call backs like that TBH. I would guess they leave stuff like that for after the first season while CC sets up his take on Who.

louiedog

Psych. A male hero and sidekick who, like The Doctor, use their brains (and nose) to solve problems and run away even more often.

Maybe USA was onto something.

tchocky

The American show I always thought was similar to Dr Who was Quantum Leap. Main character put into a different time and place every episode to solve a problem.

tomtom94

Okay, since this thread has calmed down, I have a question:

What is "Nevertheless, she regenerated" a reference to? I've seen it EVERYWHERE.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Okay, since this thread has calmed down, I have a question:

What is "Nevertheless, she regenerated" a reference to? I've seen it EVERYWHERE.

I believe it's a play on the phrase "Nevertheless, she resisted".

"Nevertheless, she persisted" is an expression adopted by the feminist movement, especially in the United States. It became popular in 2017 after the United States Senate voted to silence Senator Elizabeth Warren's objections to confirmation of Senator Jeff Sessions as U.S. Attorney General. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell uttered this sentence during comments following the vote in an effort to defend the Senate's actions and blame Senator Warren.

Not

Banned
Just imagining her doing all the Doctor things and being the cleverest and most resourceful person on the show and being the main HERO seems like a major step forward in general to me

Like something completely new we haven't seen before on TV

And people still think it's being unfair to men

timewyrm

My name is the Doctor, and I used to be a man until...

Tregard

Soothsayer
Doctor Who Series 11 |OT| Quel Dommage, Davros!

What is the deal with the line of logic I've been seeing recently "Aye well Moffat wrote that so it doesn't count as canon"? I swear I've seen a dozen or so different people say this.

SpaceWolf

Banned
What if the OT title had nothing to do with her being a woman

Could we do it, GAF?

I don't know. I think Doctor Who getting its first female lead is a really cool thing that should be celebrated. But then again, I can see the complaint how drawing attention to it might buy into the perception that Whittaker's hiring was nothing but a gimmick.

The S11 OT thread title will be a random quip from the xmas special and you all know it.

I certainly hope she brings some joy back to the role. The tone just got too bleak under Moffat.

Outside of early Capaldi which was a bit emo I wouldnt say that is true. Well I guess the darker points where darker for sure though but the joy and gladding about was always there.

And its not like RTD didnt get grim at points to.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I certainly hope she brings some joy back to the role. The tone just got too bleak under Moffat.

Agreed. Capaldi is a very good actor, but he was my one of my least favorites overall just because of how dark they wrote him.

Top Bottom