• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

You mention a female Doctor mattering to girls (because so few female leads), can you not see a male lead not conforming to expected stereotypes being appealling for the same reason?

You got that for 50+ years.

The show's fandom is pretty evenly split male and female these days, so let's let the girls have a lady Doctor for at least a bit.

tomtom94

I didn't even really think about it, but the "pacifist" Doctor has such a high body count he make a death-obsessed space executioner go "oh what the fuck" at his record this past season.

I mean the Smith era literally ended up being all about this. (I hadn't realised until today when I rewatched Big Bang and Name of the Doctor back to back but "the Doctor is actually bad and everyone's teaming up against him" is in every Smith finale)

I seem to recall Colin Baker shooting the crap out of Cybermen back in the day. Or was it the 5th Doctor? Hmmm, can't remember. But he definitely used a gun a bunch in the old stuff.

As for Jodie as the newest Doctor Who, I'm all for it. A while back, I remember thinking it wouldn't work if the Doctor regenrated into a woman, but after Michelle Gomez absolutely KILLED it as the Master/Missy, I think it could work really well.

5 blasted Cybermen. 6 tripped someone into a vat of acid (arguably by accident) and then made a joke about it immediately afterwards.

Nine was clearly a war vet after whatever the war Doctor went through.

Basically, the Doctor is fine with killing so long as she doesn't pull the trigger or hit the button that does it. It's a very thin line she tries to walk in order to justify her actions.

And yes, that's something I'm doing now.

pariah164

After sleeping on it, I'm still pleased with the change. I can't WAIT to see how Jodie Whittaker takes the role and makes it her own.

Also, the negativity just makes me laugh. The Master is female? NBD. The Doctor is female? TORCH THE EARTH.

Seriously, get the hell over it if you don't like it. It's happening whether you want it to or not, so may as well try and be positive about it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Saw this news yesterday, and spent the better part of the day avoiding social media comments.

I'm only familiar with Jodie from Attack the Block and Broadchurch, but I think she's a fine actress and will do the Doctor justice. That character seems to have a way of bringing out the best in every actor that's play him/her.

I'm really excited for this new season. I had always hoped we'd get a female Doctor, and it's crazy to think that it's finally happened. As a long time Doctor Who fan (I used to watch it back in the 80's on PBS when I was a kid), I'm stoked for this development. But she's not a ginger either!

tomtom94

~46,000 upvotes on the official upload to ~26,000 dislikes, 1.3m views I think we can safely say it's a vocal minority who are against the casting.

BTails

6 tripped someone into a vat of acid (arguably by accident) and then made a joke about it immediately afterwards.

Vengeance on Varos is an amazingly underrated story. It hits all the same satirical beats as Robocop, two years before the latter was released.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
~46,000 upvotes on the official upload to ~26,000 dislikes, 1.3m views I think we can safely say it's a vocal minority who are against the casting.

I still see the "angry" reaction on facebook is the third most popular on any BBC/Doctor Who related post at the minute. That'll take time to dissipate.

tomtom94

I still see the "angry" reaction on facebook is the third most popular on any BBC/Doctor Who related post at the minute. That'll take time to dissipate.

I think it will dissipate more once people know a bit more about the rest of the series. Right now it's actually coming across as a more drastic change than it actually is. Also right now it's being used by conservatives to push the "feminists and political correctness are coming to ruin everything white males like!" narrative, but they'll get bored and move onto something else.

People are already making fanart of 13:

wzai727mk6az.jpg

btsgyh79r7az.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
5 blasted Cybermen. 6 tripped someone into a vat of acid (arguably by accident) and then made a joke about it immediately afterwards.

Nine was clearly a war vet after whatever the war Doctor went through.

Basically, the Doctor is fine with killing so long as she doesn't pull the trigger or hit the button that does it. It's a very thin line she tries to walk in order to justify her actions.

I've completely forgot about seeing the doctor as a peaceful character, especially in the new ones. They use science and smarts instead of guns and swords, but their enemies still usually end up dead by the end of the episode.

M.Bluth

A Gamergater should be the new companion. He is shot down by the Doctor every time he says sexist bullshit.

It might not end up being a great episode, but I'd enjoy it if they reused some of those idiotic FB/Twitter sexist comments and gave them to the Daleks that'll come across 13 for the first time.

Bit hard for me to entertain the idea boys are losing a pacifist role model in the Doctor who doesn't often solve things with violence.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=picbpoP2OMw

Hahahahhaha
Honestly, what's with this whole male role model nonsense they keep bringing up? There are plenty others to go around. Besides, it wouldn't hurt a boy to look up to a woman for a role model once in a while...

9th was all ready to blast a Dalek to pieces with a giant scifi gun. But I think the point is more than he's portrayed as an intellect-driven type who does the right thing (most of the time) rather than a dumb-as-a-rock gun nut.

Maybe if they work together they can come close to matching the Doctor's body count.

I didn't say any differently, did I?

You brought up Star Trek to (I assume) make a point about other male leads in a scifi show who aren't all-guns glazing stereotypes, to which I said they do that on a regular basis. I mean Sisko was an immensely destructive war-mongering a-hole at times.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder how long it'll be before the doctor finally gets to be the ginger she's been hoping for.

YouGov poll says 14% are negative (male: 17%/female: 12%). It's just getting dislike bombed, they're not going to lose that high a proportion of viewers.

It really depends on what she's like as the character in the stories created for the new season. If Chibnall runs this shit into the ground, well...

Anyway, I'm still not thrilled by the casting as it is a departure from the norm that I'm not entirely comfortable with. But I'll give the new season a shot. However, I certainly can't join the chorus of people doing backflips and jumping for joy simply because the new Doctor is a woman.

Whittaker has to earn it as much as anyone else who has had to step into those shoes.

I seem to recall Colin Baker shooting the crap out of Cybermen back in the day. Or was it the 5th Doctor? Hmmm, can't remember. But he definitely used a gun a bunch in the old stuff.

As for Jodie as the newest Doctor Who, I'm all for it. A while back, I remember thinking it wouldn't work if the Doctor regenrated into a woman, but after Michelle Gomez absolutely KILLED it as the Master/Missy, I think it could work really well.

The Doctor can be dark, look how he punished the Family of blood. (Though impossible)Shooting them dead with a gun would be more merciful.

tomtom94

People are already making fanart of 13:

wzai727mk6az.jpg

btsgyh79r7az.jpg

Honestly right now I can't wait for that moment when the synth kicks in and "JODIE WHITTAKER" appears on screen
and hopefully Chibnall keeps the face because RTD leaving that out was a travesty

For some reason I'm imagining her having a slightly more "busy" costume than more any of the other NuWho Doctors. Maybe more in line with 5 through 7. Return of the celery?

Shoeless

I'm not yet all caught up on the latest Doctor shenanigans, since the last time I saw it was the first season of the new run with Capaldi. I'm basically okay with this new change, what I'm really more curious about is the change in showrunners. I'm one of the viewers that preferred the Davies run to what happened when Moffat took over, so I'm a lot more focused on the new blood in charge of the show rather than who the latest regeneration is. That, for me, is the far bigger deal, and I really want to see how it all plays out.

All I really remember about Capaldi's first season as the Doctor was that I got the sense he was a really good actor hamstrung by some of the material he had to work with.

I'm loving the salt. Saw someone comment last night that the Doctor fits the "boys and their toys" type that can't be replicated as a woman. Just reads like "Haha you don't hear girls and their toys" ever used. Checkmate feminists!"

For some reason I'm imagining her having a slightly more "busy" costume than more any of the other NuWho Doctors. Maybe more in line with 5 through 7. Return of the celery?

V-neck weater w/ collared dress shirt underneath, (untucked), plain black pants, with something like that pea-coat over the top.

And a scarf like 7's.

edit: somethin like this

trenchcoat-v-neck-sweater-dress-shirt-large-24463.jpg

tomtom94

All I really remember about Capaldi's first season as the Doctor was that I got the sense he was a really good actor hamstrung by some of the material he had to work with.

That's about right. Do try and catch up with series 9 and 10 if you get a chance, though, they have much better storylines in (9 is arguably up there with the best of RTD) and Capaldi is freed from the writers' desire for him to be quite such a jerk to everyone which permeated series 8.

mclem

That is going to be an interesting wrinkle; pronouns are going to be fine when talking about specific incarnations of the Doc, but when talking about the long-term character, I wonder if we ought to move to 'they'?

I'm not really a fan art kind of guy, but see it, knowing how much Whittaker is and will continue to inspire girls and women in genre fandom just really warms my heart.

I think she totally needs to incorporate a leather jacket because she pulls it off too well:

250574-jpg-r_1920_1080-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx-tt-width-400-height-227-crop-1-bgcolor-000000-responsive-1-nolayzr-1-lazyload-0.jpg

Maybe different colours in each episode like McGann's Big Finish costume.

That is going to be an interesting wrinkle; pronouns are going to be fine when talking about specific incarnations of the Doc, but when talking about the long-term character, I wonder if we ought to move to 'they'?

Or just call the doctor "the doctor" and refer to each incarnation by their number... as we've already been doing.

Despite the different personalities it is one individual that share the same memories, burdens, and impulses to help others. So "they" wouldn't fit.

Here is more because tumblr

And yes, there are already fanarts with missy and river....
I fucking hate the tumblr bullshit. I mean, properly hate it.

Fury451

Banned
I mean the Smith era literally ended up being all about this. (I hadn't realised until today when I rewatched Big Bang and Name of the Doctor back to back but "the Doctor is actually bad and everyone's teaming up against him" is in every Smith finale)

It's also touched on with the "Am i a good man?" Thing with Capaldi in his second episode, when it's revealed that he's kind of a huge asshole and the Dalek is inspired by his hatred.

Too bad that never really comes up again and Capaldi is never that dark in the series after. Damn great actor and a hugely nuanced Doctor, shame the scripts were so inconsistent.

Blader

One of the things that's really exciting about this is how it completely blows open the doors for casting future Doctors, too. The pool of potential actors to play the 14th, 15th, 16th, etc. Doctors just doubled. The Doctor can be anyone now.

One of the things that's really exciting about this is how it completely blows open the doors for casting future Doctors, too. The pool of potential actors to play the 14th, 15th, 16th, etc. Doctors just doubled. The Doctor can be anyone now.

You read my mind, I was thinking that just a few minutes ago - I agree, it's pretty exciting :)

Same way as we talk about the Master.

JoeBoy101

Just saw this and No. Absolutely fucking not! What is this ridiculous shit that we got to shoehorn something to appease a particular group and make someone feel better.

I mean, goddammit, she looked fantastic as a ginger. Why she gotta be blonde? That's the important bit here.

/s for those not paying attention

Fury451

Banned

Really not expecting this to come up- probably won't refer as "they" either; it'll continue to be the Doctor as it usually is, and for specifics they'll probably just reference as appropriate.

Top Bottom