• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker announced as the 13th Doctor!

Camwi

Perhaps I didn't phrase my opinion well enough: I meant that Silence in the Library, where River Song first appeared and helped Tenth, was a great episode that instantly made me interested in her character.

Then she showed up in Season 5 onwards, and I didn't like her then despite really liking her introduction. I surmise it's mostly because of Moffat. Moffat-era Who just doesn't do much for me. It's not exactly an uncommon opinion to hold that the series started to go to crap once he became showrunner, so I don't know why you're acting so surprised. Again, maybe I just phrased my post poorly.

[EDIT] The one exception is Rory. I usually don't care for male sidekicks, but he's great in a way Mickey can only dream to be.

Yep, loved that episode, and her character was fine, but I absolutely fucking hated her after that. She's so damn annoying.

Nice.

lnKRknO.png

tomtom94

Jodie Whittaker is a thief!

Getting into character nicely then.

I mean the point is a valid one - that the Doctor was (mostly) a good positive male role model and we need more. But I don't think that casting a woman as the Doctor is any reason to assume there won't be positive non-violent male roles... because a key part of travelling with the Doctor is understanding her morality. Which is not going to change.

Lame. Cannot give a female lead her own show so gotta steal one. It the only good sci-fi where the male lead not all guns and action as an answer to problems.
New show runner wanted to do this. Nothing is stolen. What a silly perspective. Doctor Who wasn't yours to get stolen from you.

Blader

No. River was able to speak the name to the door quietly so no one saw/heard it.

Yes it was a complete cop out. And I'm still confused by that episode, esspecially the doctor telling River 'you should have faded by now" Like wtf does that mean? Also (I'm on season 8 right now) Do we ever see River farther into the future than that? As obviously that was while she was in the computer system. Is it ever explained how she was able to exist in that moment of time, how the doctor could see her, and why she continued to exist even after Clara disappeared?

River appears one more time in Capaldi's run, but you don't get any further than Silence in the Library/Name of the Doctor. That's the end of her timeline (since she's, uh, dead).

River had opened a mental comms link with Clara and the others. The Doctor has some low-level telepathic abilities, so he could hear and see River talking to Clara the whole time but just didn't want to acknowledge her because he didn't want to face her dying again.

If there's a reason other than simple sexism that one could be opposed to this, I sure as hell can't see it. We're talking about a character that regularly dies and regenerates into a completely different "person".

Obviously I don't know the answer.

That's why I asked.

What I've learned is that the doctor has a name, but no one knows it.

I'm referring to this: If not, are people just crying because it's a woman after being a man for so many years?

Not the name thing. You basically answered your own question with another question.

Jodie literally broke into the TARDIS and stole it from the BBC set:

Which would make her a natural fit for the role.

Chibnall: So would you consider auditioning for the part, Jodie?
Jodie: Hmm... I'll be back in a little bit.

[two hours later]

Chibnall: Okay, she's probably n-

[The TARDIS slowly materializes in the middle of Chibnall's office. Chibnall stares in shock, as the door opens and Jodie steps out of the TARDIS]

Jodie: [grins] Well, seems I can pilot the box! When would you like the audition?
Chibnall: Screw it, you're hired.

~

I'm just going to pretend that this is how she got the job.

Well, I can see where people are coming from since a lot of these decisions these days seem to be coming from knee jerk places of wanting to change the status quo for the sake of changing it.

But it has to happen at some point. Whether it's a natural progression, a completely new character, or however this "regenerating" character works. Actually seems like it works for something like this where it's sci fi magical nonsense.

Someone had to the be first. It's more important that the person playing the role is a good for that role.

Do the doctors know that they were different people in the past? This new female version of the doctor will be making references to her past lives as a man? Or is it a completely new story with this new doctor that just happens to be a woman?

Kinsei

Banned
Well, I can see where people are coming from since a lot of these decisions these days seem to be coming from knee jerk places of wanting to change the status quo for the sake of changing it.

But it has to happen at some point. Whether it's a natural progression, a completely new character, or however this "regenerating" character works. Actually seems like it works for something like this where it's sci fi magical nonsense.

Someone had to the be first. It's more important that the person playing the role is a good for that role.

Do the doctors know that they were different people in the past? This new female version of the doctor will be making references to her past lives as a man? Or is it a completely new story with this new doctor that just happens to be a woman?

The Doctor retains all of the memories of their past selves when they regenerate. They have a new body and personality but it's still the same character.

Yes they remember their previous regenerations.

Time Lords switching genders has been done before on the show as well, it's happened twice in the past 4 years, just hasn't happened to this particular Time Lord until now. The creator of Doctor Who wanted a female Doctor in the 80s too.

While on one hand I can understand people not wanting things to be changed flippantly, I feel the idea that they're knee jerk is almost insulting to the people behind the show and what matters to them. These things have to/will happen at some point and I guess the most important thing is that when change happens its done well and with care.

We'll just find out next year if Chinball and Co are up to the job of being good Dr Who storytellers or not.

Well, at least that should be something fresh that has never happened on this show.

I edited this bit into my post when you were replying, in case you missed it:
Time Lords switching genders has been done before on the show as well, it's happened twice in the past 4 years, just hasn't happened to this particular Time Lord until now. The creator of Doctor Who wanted a female Doctor in the 80s too.

zeemumu

Never seen Doctor Who, other than maybe one or two random episodes that I found so terrible that I wrote the entire series off.

With that said, is there any reason in the Doctor Who mythology that says it must be a man?

For example, does the doctor have an actual name if it's the same person? Like his name is John, and now they've just turned into Joan or something to that effect?

If not, are people just crying because it's a woman after being a man for so many years?

The opposite, actually. The Doctor's outright said at some point that Time Lords pretty much don't give a damn, sex/gender-wise. We've already had a couple of other notable Time Lords in the past who have regenerated into women.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The opposite, actually. The Doctor's outright says that Time Lords pretty much don't give a damn, sex/gender-wise. We've already had a couple of other notable Time Lords in the past who have regenerated into women.

In addition, regenerated into women wearing meticulous makeup, naturally.

latest

Its kind of a bummer there is no anniversary coming up.

The multi doctor cross over will be fun whenever it happens.

I know it's doubtful, but there's still the chance that if Christmas really is Christmas Carol / It's a Wonderful Life we still might get 13 showing up early as a Ghost of Christmas Future type deal. There is something mindbendingly awesome about her seeing Capaldi and Bradley as her young selves.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I know it's doubtful, but there's still the chance that if Christmas really is Christmas Carol / It's a Wonderful Life we still might get 13 showing up early as a Ghost of Christmas Future type deal. There is something mindbendingly awesome about her seeing Capaldi and Bradley as her young selves.

We've had a Moffat penned Christmas Carol pastiche with the ghosts as a Doctor Christmas Special quite recently. It's been done.

Top Bottom