• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who now officially eligible for the Emmy awards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

DOCTOR WHO IS OFFICIALLY AN EMMY CONTENDER

Heaven-Sent-Review-112815.jpg
As an American fan of perennial British program Doctor Who, I’ve more or less grown accustomed to it not receiving any award consideration outside of the BAFTAs and other UK societies, and the Hugos. But this year changes everything; BBC America is now co-producing the show officially, which means there’s significant enough American involvement to make Doctor Who eligible for Emmy consideration…and they’re lobbying for it hard! In a recent overview of the 2016 Emmy ballot, Variety noted that Peter Capaldi, showrunner Steven Moffat, and director Rachel Talalay have all been placed on the voting sheet, meaning we could see them all at the ceremony if they get nominated.

Doctor Who itself was not placed on the ballot for outstanding dramatic series–where it would have had a tough time getting nominated in the same group with Game of Thrones and House of Cards–but Capaldi is included in the lead actor category and Moffat and Talalay are both included for their writing and directing, respectively, for the penultimate episode “Heaven Sent,” and the series could also snag noms for costumes, production design, prosthetic makeup, and visual effects.

If you read my Doctor Who reviews for series 9, you were aware that I thought this was a particularly strong year for the sci-fi staple, with episodes like “The Magician’s Apprentice,” “Before the Flood,” and the Zygon two-parter being favorites. But “Heaven Sent” is easily the best episode of the year, and might even be one of the best episodes the show’s ever done. It featured Capaldi’s Twelfth Doctor completely on his own in a castle that was itself a puzzle box full of mysteries to uncover and a slow-walking beast always on his trail. It was a tour de force for Capaldi, proved that Moffat still has it in him to write a perfect slice of science fiction, and firmly established Talalay as one of the best directors of television working today. She had to make a one-hander taking place in a location that looks pretty much the same all the time both exciting and easy to follow and she did that in spades. A brilliant piece of short narrative fiction all around.

I have to agree-Heaven Sent is seriously one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen-the climax is unforgettable. That said-this past season was a real mixed bag. But I'd love to see Peter Capaldi recognized for this genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-RFzZutkc

Heaven sent was amazing. We need more doctor who episodes like that where the environment itself is a puzzle. Hope it wins something.

TyrantII

The last two and a half of the final episode were a fantastic return to something great. Mist if the last two seasons have been uneven and hit or miss. Even recycling stories and conflicts.

I'm hoping next season goes a little less episodic, more serial and is edited / telecast a bit tighter.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So this show is worth it to keep watching? I'm still on David Tennant's (who I think is fantastic) last season.

Volimar

Far too late for the obvious winner of Best Tall Gorgeous Scottish Redhead Companion.

So this show is worth it to keep watching? I'm still on David Tennant's (who I think is fantastic) last season.

Tennant was the best Doctor, but his successor (that word doesn't look like it's spelled right) Matt Smith has some good stories. You can quit after that.

Fuck yes. Such an amazing episode in every aspect. The writing, acting...and damn, was it gorgeous. It's just too bad that the whole point of why he was there, was terrible.

Matt took a while to grow on me, but he is easily my favorite Doctor now. Really grew into his own with his second season.

Ophelion

It's really hard to say. Some people who prefer Tennant violently reject what follows him. Some people enjoy it as basically more of the same. I'd say give it a season past Tennant and if it's not for you, just know that the show has held a fairly consistent course since season five, much as it did from seasons 1-4.

Volimar

I find Capaldi's Doctor violently boring, but people tell me there's some good stories under his watch, so I dunno. All this Tennant talk is making me want to rewatch Jessica Jones.

NNNNOOOOWWWW JESSIICCAAAAAAAA!

So this show is worth it to keep watching?

Absolutely.

Even if the highest highs that follow don't manage to hit the highest highs contained within Tennant's run (and that's really arguable), the whole of what follows is still very much worth sticking with.

Just because something might not be as good as it used to be at its best, doesn't mean it suddenly it deserves no time spent on it at all.

And again, I don't know that Tennant's run is overall the best one. The best single season of the show since it was relaunched back in 2005 is Matt Smith's first, for example.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Man, I'm way out of the loop of DW. Started watching during the Jon Pertwee years all the way to Colin Baker (and that shit US made for TV film with Roberts as The Master). Maybe one day I will catch up.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I binge watched til Capaldi's run where I stopped because it got rather tiresome and redundant for me narrative wise.

That said, there's still a lot of great things to see if you keep pushing on so I suggest you stick with it anyways and see if you can commit to it after becoming up to date with the show.

Also, I think Matt Smith's run had way better moments for me than Tennant's. Hell, one moment that nearly made me tear up came from a filler episode of all places that dealt with a certain painter.

As someone who's never seen Doctor Who, start with Eccleston (2005)?

This question ends up being more contentious than it would seem.

You can jump on whenever, really. The producers/writers try to make it so whenever a Doctor switches up, new audience can join at that point. Eventually they'll start dropping hints and at that point you can go back (or just wikipedia shit, more likely) to fill in the holes, but usually A new doctor's first episode is the best jump-on point for a new viewer.

I personally think Smith's first episode is maybe the best modern episode for a newcomer, but then again I also think starting with Eccleston's first episode makes a hell of a lot of sense, being as it legitimately roped in a ton of new fans all by itself, even if it hasn't aged very well in the meantime. Not as if "aging well" is a thing one should particularly value that highly if you're going to be a fan of Doctor Who anyway.

Either start with Eccleston, Smith, or Capaldi. (if you start with Tennant you might as well start with Eccleston)

Though if you start with Eccleston, you will have to get used to production values that are... less... than you are accustomed to.

Eccleston and Smith are the cleanest jumping on points, though.

If you want, but it has aged horribly. David Tenant still has that RTD cheese, but it is still a huge leap in quality. Ultimately though, for a newcomer Matt Smith's era onwards is probably the easiest to swallow.

ElRenoRaven

Yup you really should. Since you'll never get the old stuff complete it's best to just start there with the start of the newer Dr Who. Eccleston is slow to find his footing but he ended up damn good by the end. Tennant was excellent. Still my favorite so far although Smith isn't far behind. Capaldi is quickly moving up though.

thefro

I personally think Smith's first episode is maybe the best modern episode for a newcomer, but then again I also think starting with Eccleston's first episode makes a hell of a lot of sense, being as it legitimately roped in a ton of new fans all by itself, even if it hasn't aged very well in the meantime. Not as if "aging well" is a thing one should particularly value that highly if you're going to be a fan of Doctor Who anyway.

You just have to be aware and prepared for the production values being equivalent to a 90s kids TV show if you start with Eccleston's season, The show doesn't really get its footing until the back half of series 1.

The modern series is fun to watch nearly all the way through, outside of a few clunker episodes that are dull.

MMarston

By the way, more of a personal note, but it's funny seeing Rachel Talalay up for an Emmy because the first thing I think of isn't "congrats to her" but instead it's "this is the person that has consistently turned me down for an interview every time my editor assigns me to a story involving her"

Still, great for her anyways. I don't know how much accolades she got for Tank Girl back in the day considering that's more of a niche cult classic.

jerry113

Banned
As someone who only watched halfway into the Smith run, can I watch that episode in isolation and enjoy it?

Omph, I'm sure you would enjoy it but it's spoilerific and serves as a continuation from the events of the episode right before.

That's why I would give Blink the edge because it's standalone.

By the way, more of a personal note, but it's funny seeing Rachel Talalay up for an Emmy because the first thing I think of isn't "congrats to her" but instead it's "this is the person that has consistently turned me down for an interview every time my editor assigns me to a story involving her"

Still, great for her anyways. I don't know how much accolades she got for Tank Girl back in the day considering that's more of a niche cult classic.

She was also pretty instrumental in keeping the Freddy Krueger train going.

MMarston

She was also pretty instrumental in keeping the Freddy Krueger train going.

Just looked this up. Didn't know really she's invested that much into the franchise.

Kinda odd how that factoid never came up since I've studied under the same Film Studies faculty she currently works at (when she isn't directing that is).

Dryk

Heaven Sent and the ending to The Zygon Inversion are goddamn masterpieces. I mean it's a ten minute scene of people talking in a dark room with no music and it's so engaging.

Bobby is right though, Series 5 was the best. Even The Hungry Earth has this brilliant moment from Matt Smith in it.

"Heaven Sent" was great, and certainly much better than the following episode, "Hell Bent", so this is nice to see.

As for where to start, you really can just start with any season in theory, especially the first episode of a Doctor actor, though I'm not a fan of Capaldi's first episode (until it finally got going toward the end). As for episodes to check out, some good standalones are (not necessarily super amazing):
Season 1 (Christopher Eccleston) :
Dalek
Father's Day (warning, cheesy special effects)
The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances

Season 2 (David Tennant):
The Girl in the Fireplace
The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit

Season 3:
Human Nature / Family of Blood (does require some familiarity with the Doctor to appreciate)
Blink (doesn't actually have the Doctor much)

Season 4:
The Fires of Pompeii
Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead
Midnight (does require familiarity with the usual formula)

Special:
The Waters of Mars (though you may need context for the Doctor's moodiness)

Season 5 (Matt Smith):
The Eleventh Hour (also good starting point for the series)
Vincent and the Doctor

Special:
A Christmas Carol

Season 6:
The Doctor's Wife

Season 7:
*shrug*

Season 8 (Peter Capaldi):
Mummy on the Orient Express
Flatline (does require familiarity with the usual formula)

Season 9:
*shrug*

Gattsu25

Banned
Omph, I'm sure you would enjoy it but it's spoilerific and serves as a continuation from the events of the episode right before.

That's why I would give Blink the edge because it's standalone.

Damn...going to have to just start catching up it seems.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom