• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Off-Season | Hey Missy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the movie, McCoy started with a fairly bog standard tardis and in his later episodes they were barely ever in it as Cartmel wanted him to be more proactive then reactive(which was a brilliant decision).

I'm not sure the who budget at the time could have afforded what the movie tardis must have cost to make!

The sad thing about what happened to that TARDIS is that the set was preserved by somebody who worked on the movie in his garage - the console, the struts, etc, and right before Doctor Who got huge again in 2005 he was struggling to find somebody to take it off his hands... and I believe the original stuff has now been destroyed.

The sad thing about what happened to that TARDIS is that the set was preserved by somebody who worked on the movie in his garage - the console, the struts, etc, and right before Doctor Who got huge again in 2005 he was struggling to find somebody to take it off his hands... and I believe the original stuff has now been destroyed.

Would have been nice to flash back to in that "console error" Day of the Doctor bit.

PaulloDEC

You'll be pleased to know that the console at least survived, and has actually been lovingly restored by the fan who now owns it.

Fireblend

Banned
Rewatched the finale yesterday with my brother, and honestly the only part I would say I dislike without any doubt is Danny's speech right at the end. It just doesn't suit his character to say a speech that isn't really that good or inspired to being with. In fact it sounds really cheesy. "This is the promise of a soldier!", uh, alright? Just go blow yourself up and get it done, man.

Also, I got to see one of the only TARDIS(s) in Latin America yesterday at a con. And to the guy who said he hadn't seen people cosplaying as Capaldi, this is about as geek as I'll ever get
KuGsj.gif

M.Bluth

Rewatched the finale yesterday with my brother, and honestly the only part I would say I dislike without any doubt is Danny's speech right at the end. It just doesn't suit his character to say a speech that isn't really that good or inspired to being with. In fact it sounds really cheesy. "This is the promise of a soldier!", uh, alright? Just go blow yourself up and get it done, man.

Should've been edited out, just have him turn after saying "Exactly" to Missy, show he has control of the Cybermen, then turn to Clara, say "you'll sleep safe tonight" and just fly.

Fireblend

Banned
Should've been edited out, just have him turn after saying "Exactly" to Missy, show he has control of the Cybermen, then turn to Clara, say "you'll sleep safe tonight" and just fly.

I thought exactly the same. That line is Robocop-ish enough to make it seem like he's fighting against the emotion inhibitor. It seems awkward after the speech, though.

M.Bluth

I think this current console, plus having more roundels on the walls,and maybe scale it down a tiny bit would be godtier

Scale down what, the console room?
Because I'm very happy about the way the TARDIS interior was shot this series, making it feel bigger than it looked in 7B.

Part of why I adored the first Smith TARDIS is how so much bigger it looked, with all those doors leading somewhere deeper inside the ship. Makes it more believable that it might indeed go on forever in there.
This actually made me wonder if we've ever seen any other bits of the 9/10 Doctor's TARDIS, aside from that closet in the Christmas Invasion. I can't remember any.

Totally unrelated, but every time I see a clip of Tennant from "Day of the Doctor" it reminds me of how gorgeous the series became once they switched cameras post-2009. The RTD TARDIS set looked incredible under the new production team:

Some End of Time shots contrasted with Day of the Doctor.

I think the main difference is the smokiness being used to cover up the non-HD nature of the set, really... the show looks tons better now in general, but the biggest problem with the 2005-10 TARDIS isn't the way it's shot, it's that the set itself wasn't built with HD in mind and so in that last year in particular it looks a bit crap as the increased resolution exposes details never meant to be seen.

Scale down what, the console room?
Because I'm very happy about the way the TARDIS interior was shot this series, making it feel bigger than it looked in 7B.

Part of why I adored the first Smith TARDIS is how so much bigger it looked, with all those doors leading somewhere deeper inside the ship. Makes it more believable that it might indeed go on forever in there.
This actually made me wonder if we've ever seen any other bits of the 9/10 Doctor's TARDIS, aside from that closet in the Christmas Invasion. I can't remember any.

Nope, just the wardrobe. Which did, to be fair, look lovely:
20120307191928!TARDIS_wardrobe_room.jpg

Ophelion

Good. I have a fever and it can only be cured with more Capaldi. Here's hoping that he stays manning the TARDIS for many years to come.

That said, I hope for his second season (especially since it marks the tenth anniversary of the rebooted show) that in the next season finale, the Doctor can end on a resounding victory.

I can completely understand what they were doing this season by making the new Doctor less reliable and more unpredictable. As a result of that, several of the episodes ended with the resolution not being down to the Doctor at all. Sometimes, it was on Clara (Day of the Moon, sorta Flatline) sometimes, it was a team effort (Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Death in Heaven) and sometimes, there was only a perceived threat that actually turned out to be ultimately no threat at all (Listen, In the Forest of the Night.) That last one kinda bugs me actually. Hopefully that doesn't become a thing.

But I really just want to see Capaldi hand a villain their head. I want a Family of Blood "He was being kind" level of complete and utter obliteration of an evil threat. Just once, not every episode of the season. After just barely squeaking by at the end of this season, it would be nice I think to have a resounding win. Especially if it starts off looking like the situation is out of hand and the Doctor turns it around at the last second. I eat that stuff up.

Blader

Good. I have a fever and it can only be cured with more Capaldi. Here's hoping that he stays manning the TARDIS for many years to come.

That said, I hope for his second season (especially since it marks the tenth anniversary of the rebooted show) that in the next season finale, the Doctor can end on a resounding victory.

I can completely understand what they were doing this season by making the new Doctor less reliable and more unpredictable. As a result of that, several of the episodes ended with the resolution not being down to the Doctor at all. Sometimes, it was on Clara (Day of the Moon, sorta Flatline) sometimes, it was a team effort (Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker, Death in Heaven) and sometimes, there was only a perceived threat that actually turned out to be ultimately no threat at all (Listen, In the Forest of the Night.) That last one kinda bugs me actually. Hopefully that doesn't become a thing.

But I really just want to see Capaldi hand a villain their head. I want a Family of Blood "He was being kind" level of complete and utter obliteration of an evil threat. Just once, not every episode of the season. After just barely squeaking by at the end of this season, it would be nice I think to have a resounding win. Especially if it starts off looking like the situation is out of hand and the Doctor turns it around at the last second. I eat that stuff up.

Well he did talk that clockwork droid-cyborg in Deep Breath into killing itself. And exorcised the mummy ghost in Orient Express.

Ophelion

Well he did talk that clockwork droid-cyborg in Deep Breath into killing itself. And exorcised the mummy ghost in Orient Express.

They were good, don't get me wrong. I loved those moments. But I don't feel like I've seen this Doctor cross swords with an equal and come out the victor yet. I was hoping to get that from Death in Heaven, but instead we got a final episode where the Doctor's trajectory through the episode looks like this: He is caught by surprise, he's saved by UNIT, he's knocked unconscious, humans make him the president, he gets bushwhacked by a Missy-made ambush before doing anything as the president, he gets monologued at, he passes the ball to Danny Pink, he tries to kill the Mistress (but doesn't), he gets lied to...twice. He has like no agency for the entire episode, which was really disappointing to me because I wanted to see how this Doctor would fight back against this Master and then he kind of...didn't.

It makes sense for the arc of the season, but I really want to see this wily new doctor tested to his limits and I'd like to see him come out the victor when he does. Not all the time, just one really good one.

Peter Capaldi turned down an audition for The Doctor in the 1996 TV Movie.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a610715/doctor-who-peter-capaldi-turned-down-audition-for-1996-tv-movie.html#~oVU8OXixcLYn3u

Peter Capaldi said:
"I knew I wouldn't get it," Capaldi explained at an event today (November 7) to launch the Doctor Who series 8 DVD box-set.

"I loved the show so much that I didn't want to have anything to do with it, unless it was going to be me [definitely playing the part].

"I didn't want the disappointment [after] going through all the palaver - jumping through hoops for something I would never get."

Well, I did not know that!

Ophelion

Didn't he say that he thought he'd totally failed his audition with Moffat before he got the call saying he got the part? I'm sure I either heard him say that or read it somewhere.

Capaldi has serious self-esteem issues confirmed?

Still chugging through season 2, and I have a dark revelation: I actually like Love & Monsters. Or rather I almost like it. I think the idea is fantastic: you have these deeply pathetic people bond over their chance encounters with the Doctor. It's essentially a good-natured ribbing of Doctor Who fans, so it was a bit distressing when it dropped the silly antics in favor of everyone being murdered by a shitty looking alien. It's just rotten, and the oral-sex with a stone slab thing is just so bizarre. I think if they had removed the alien or even just refrained from murdering everyone in LINDA, then the episode would have been much better.

Fear Her is still the worst episode of anything ever, though. Jesus Christ. The breathy voice that the child actor does is incredible in its terribleness.

They were good, don't get me wrong. I loved those moments. But I don't feel like I've seen this Doctor cross swords with an equal and come out the victor yet. I was hoping to get that from Death in Heaven, but instead we got a final episode where the Doctor's trajectory through the episode looks like this: He is caught by surprise, he's saved by UNIT, he's knocked unconscious, humans make him the president, he gets bushwhacked by a Missy-made ambush before doing anything as the president, he gets monologued at, he passes the ball to Danny Pink, he tries to kill the Mistress (but doesn't), he gets lied to...twice. He has like no agency for the entire episode, which was really disappointing to me because I wanted to see how this Doctor would fight back against this Master and then he kind of...didn't.

It makes sense for the arc of the season, but I really want to see this wily new doctor tested to his limits and I'd like to see him come out the victor when he does. Not all the time, just one really good one.

The Ninth Doctor never got to cross swords with anyone, either. He was always bailed out by someone else, be it Rose swinging on a chain or inexplicable super hacker Mickey firing a missile or Bad Wolf Rose. He inspires other people to be better and take agency in solving their own problems. I think that's a key part of the character. But, yeah, it's not as exciting, and I'm sure we'll see him play the traditional hero soon enough, as we did frequently with Ten and Eleven.

Ophelion

The Ninth Doctor never got to cross swords with anyone, either. He was always bailed out by someone else, be it Rose swinging on a chain or inexplicable super hacker Mickey firing a missile or Bad Wolf Rose. He inspires other people to be better and take agency in solving their own problems. I think that's a key part of the character. But, yeah, it's not as exciting, and I'm sure we'll see him play the traditional hero soon enough, as we did frequently with Ten and Eleven.

That is something I would've liked for the Ninth to get as well! Aw, poor old Ninth. He'll probably never have his day in the sun since his actor has so thoroughly divorced himself from the show. Even though it wasn't a climactic showdown with a worthy foe, he did get a crowning moment of awesome with "EVERYBODY LIVES!"

That will have to do.

Blader

I just realized, the Doctor (in new Who at least) has never actually beaten the Master himself. Lucy shoots him in Last of the Time Lords and he stops himself from regenerating; he actually saves Ten from Rassilon and goes back to Gallifrey in End of Time; and Missy is shot by cyber-Brig.

Ophelion

I just realized, the Doctor (in new Who at least) has never actually beaten the Master himself. Lucy shoots him in Last of the Time Lords and he stops himself from regenerating; he actually saves Ten from Rassilon and goes back to Gallifrey in End of Time; and Missy is shot by cyber-Brig.

Maybe they're wary of the Master coming off as a less credible threat if the Doctor keeps beating the Master solo. That could be.

Though I will say that while Lucy did shoot the Master, every little bit of the plan that brought the Master to a place where he could even be shot was the Doctor's doing. It was check and mate long before he ever took a bullet.

Boem

So I might be going to the new Doctor Who Experience in a couple of weeks! Exciting!

I'm not sure if I should order tickets in advance or not. When I went to the Matt Smith version I just walked in and I could join a group right away, but that one was a bit older at that point. Not sure how popular these things are in the beginning. We'll be travelling around, and I know the interactive part is pretty short (about 15 minutes according to some reviews), so I wouldn't want to spend the entire day waiting. We'll probably be going to Scotland on the same day so that we don't have to spend the night in Cardiff. Oh well, we'll see. Still, exciting!

Quick

Banned
Totally unrelated, but every time I see a clip of Tennant from "Day of the Doctor" it reminds me of how gorgeous the series became once they switched cameras post-2009. The RTD TARDIS set looked incredible under the new production team:

Some End of Time shots contrasted with Day of the Doctor.

I think it also helps that they had to film those TARDIS shots within the Doctor Who Experience, since they deconstructed the whole 9/10 TARDIS set. Atmosphere was already set. I can imagine how odd it might be filming within a smaller soundstage though.

The interior looks smaller in DOTD because it was re-assembled as a smaller area. The ramp from the door to the console is shorter, and the railing is way too close as well.

The pillars with his coat hanging are different from each other. I remember the Confidential episode for The End of Time Part 2, where they only had one take to blow out a bunch of the coral pillars. I don't think they blew out the one with his coat, but they probably had to cut it down for the exhibit.

One of those things I wish we got to see more of inside 9 and 10's TARDIS are areas like his wardrobe:

wardrobe-1.jpg

Areas connected by a giant staircase.

PaulloDEC

I think the main difference is the smokiness being used to cover up the non-HD nature of the set, really... the show looks tons better now in general, but the biggest problem with the 2005-10 TARDIS isn't the way it's shot, it's that the set itself wasn't built with HD in mind and so in that last year in particular it looks a bit crap as the increased resolution exposes details never meant to be seen.

The smokiness definitely helps, but the switch in camera equipment made a world of difference too. The HD cameras they started using in 2009 certainly added a lot of detail, but they never managed to escape that flat, soap-opera look until 2010.

I think perhaps they had some extra time to spend on the lighting in Day of the Doctor too.

I think it also helps that they had to film those TARDIS shots within the Doctor Who Experience, since they deconstructed the whole 9/10 TARDIS set. Atmosphere was already set. I can imagine how odd it might be filming within a smaller soundstage though.

The interior looks smaller in DOTD because it was re-assembled as a smaller area. The ramp from the door to the console is shorter, and the railing is way too close as well.

The pillars with his coat hanging are different from each other. I remember the Confidential episode for The End of Time Part 2, where they only had one take to blow out a bunch of the coral pillars. I don't think they blew out the one with his coat, but they probably had to cut it down for the exhibit.

That's interesting, I hadn't noticed all those little changes.

The smokiness definitely helps, but the switch in camera equipment made a world of difference too. The HD cameras they started using in 2009 certainly added a lot of detail, but they never managed to escape that flat, soap-opera look until 2010.

I think perhaps they had some extra time to spend on the lighting in Day of the Doctor too.

That's interesting, I hadn't noticed all those little changes.

The Tenth Doctor TARDIS set is basically about a third of the size that it was - there's a very small section of the wall compared to how it was (previously it was a pac-man sort of shape, now it's more the inverse) - it's tiny compared to how it used to be. Plus all the crawlspace (that was barely used in the show) underneath the console is gone, too. It's why you basically only see the set from one very tight, very specific angle in Day of the Doctor.

In an absolute heartbreaker the 2010-13 TARDIS is gone, too, as it was built on top of the Torchwood hub, which had all concrete foundations, making it nearly impossible to move. The actual console area survives, and there's two relatively accurate replicas of the console part around, but the majority of the actual set was destroyed when they had to take it down.

That was what forced the set change at Christmas, too, they were moving studios. It would've been as expensive to remake as to make a new one, and Moffat knew he wanted the 12th Doctor to have a more machine like interior, so he just made it change sooner. The original plan was probably not to change the TARDIS until the 12th's era, but production realities.

kyser73

I think Capaldi is a great Doctor...now he just needs some great episodes.

The last season had no real standout episodes, some that were utterly dire (Kill the Moon) and for me didn't really start to work until Listen.

I was thrilled to see Michelle Gomez as a female Master (my wife and I exclaimed 'IT'S SUE WHITE!!!' when we saw her) but very upset with the somewhat summary method of her demise.

Did like the downbeat, lying to each other ending though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

Wonderful! I love Capaldi's doctor, easily my favorite of the new who doctors. He can pull off episodes that I would have rolled my eyes in with Tennant and Smith, so that is rather refreshing.

Here is hoping that now that Capaldi has his doctor that he can spread his wings and create a magical Series 9. Series 8 was fantastic, looking forward to buying the blu ray of it :)

Didn't he say that he thought he'd totally failed his audition with Moffat before he got the call saying he got the part? I'm sure I either heard him say that or read it somewhere.

Capaldi has serious self-esteem issues confirmed?

I don't think it was self esteem issues, I just think that he was just being pragmatic. After all, the last couple of doctors were much younger than him.

He probably did the role thinking that he was a last place position.

Thankfully he got it (even if Moffat just wanted him for the 12th doctor and none other), because he is such an amazing doctor :D

PaulloDEC

The Tenth Doctor TARDIS set is basically about a third of the size that it was - there's a very small section of the wall compared to how it was (previously it was a pac-man sort of shape, now it's more the inverse) - it's tiny compared to how it used to be. Plus all the crawlspace (that was barely used in the show) underneath the console is gone, too. It's why you basically only see the set from one very tight, very specific angle in Day of the Doctor.

In an absolute heartbreaker the 2010-13 TARDIS is gone, too, as it was built on top of the Torchwood hub, which had all concrete foundations, making it nearly impossible to move. The actual console area survives, and there's two relatively accurate replicas of the console part around, but the majority of the actual set was destroyed when they had to take it down.

That was what forced the set change at Christmas, too, they were moving studios. It would've been as expensive to remake as to make a new one, and Moffat knew he wanted the 12th Doctor to have a more machine like interior, so he just made it change sooner. The original plan was probably not to change the TARDIS until the 12th's era, but production realities.

Oh wow, I didn't know most of that! I'm impressed at how good the RTD console room looked considering how little of it they actually had.

Real shame about Smith's set though, especially given we live in an age where an army of fans would willing descend upon the studios to meticulously catalogue and remove the console room piece-by-piece if asked. I hope they kept as many bits as possible in storage.

The stuff about 12's console room makes sense too. The current set never felt like a good fit for 11, IMO.

Ophelion

I don't think it was self esteem issues, I just think that he was just being pragmatic. After all, the last couple of doctors were much younger than him.

He probably did the role thinking that he was a last place position.

Thankfully he got it (even if Moffat just wanted him for the 12th doctor and none other), because he is such an amazing doctor :D

Well, that explains this time, but what about the 8th Doctor potential audition that he just didn't do because it didn't feel like a sure thing. Though it looks like there's a big difference, Peter's not that much older than Paul McGann who got the part. He could've gone for it!

Of course, then he would've been relegated to audio adventures and probably wouldn't have gotten to be Scottish. So this is still better. That Capaldi is currently the Doctor makes it clear to me that we do not, in fact, live in the darkest possible universe. I guess the fact that all of us don't have beards should've clued me into that as well...

I watched the Ultimate Time Lord "documentary" the other day with Peter Davison. Thought it was funny that when he interviewed Capaldi, Davison mentioned that when talking to Moffat about casting Capaldi, Moffat remarked that he "Couldn't bear to pass up the opportunity to make another man that happy."

And indeed, Capaldi seems over the moon to be doing the job. Hope that means we get many years with him yet. He seems like a very good man, actually.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
One of those things I wish we got to see more of inside 9 and 10's TARDIS are areas like his wardrobe:

wardrobe-1.jpg

This is why I felt Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS was so underutilised, would have neat to see the Doctor running through bedrooms/bathrooms/cupboards etc. Yes the novelty would wear off in a matter of minutes but I still think it would be neat.

Ophelion

So...this might mean nothing, oh who am I kidding it probably means nothing, but I noticed something kind of...odd last night.

I was writing in bed last night and had Doctor Who on in the background, Listen specifically, when a bit of dialog knocked me out of what I was doing and made me rewind to make sure I'd heard it right. It was from the scene where Clara goes back to her date with Danny after having seen his childhood. It goes.

DANNY: I don't know what to say.
CLARA: Then don't say anything...or say something nice.

Emphasis mine. Yeah, probably just a quirk of Moffat's writing for women, but it just struck me as odd/uncomfortable/bizzare that Clara would use Missy's exact catchphrase on her first date with Danny.

Capaldi doesn't plan to regenerate "for a while"

Speaking at An Afternoon with Mark Gatiss and Friends, he said:”At the end of the day, the job is all-consuming, it’s a factory – a Doctor Who factory! I get to run up and down corridors, escape through ventilation shafts and fight Daleks.

“But it is every day for eight months and you can get tired; you keep trying to come up with ideas. And sometimes you run out of ideas.”

He later added: “If I did have an ambition it would be not to regenerate for a while.”

Yay. I think the character has so much more to offer. I hope he strikes a balance though; Eccleston went too quick, but I felt Tennant and Smith (especially Tennant) stuck around a little too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom