• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Off-Season | Hey Missy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM86

I for one think the Pasternoster crew are a blight on the show really. Hate 'em. Shame, since they were good in their first few appearances.

Also: Santa is an interesting one, because they won't be able to have the Doctor play it like Robin Hood; the Doctor can't deny his existance on Christmas day at prime time with tons of kids who still believe watching... so I'll be interested to see how it handles that bit.

One of the best lines Moffat ever wrote was about him, mind: "Look at you, bouncing about, you're like Father Christmas! // Who says I'm not? Red bicycle when you were twelve. // *Rose looks dumbfounded*)

Don't forget that in A Christmas Carol, the Doctor referenced knowing Santa Claus down to a photo with him, Santa and Frank Sinatra if memory serves...or was it Einstein? He even called Santa Claus "Jeff". I do wonder if Moffat will continue that

There is no way he's even going to try to explain Santa. He may try to explain certain aspects of Santa, but it's just going to be taken as fact that Santa is real in a universe where the Doctor exists. Because of course he does.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I've decided to go back and watch all of NuWho sequentially since I honestly haven't rewatched most of it, well, since I first saw it starting circa 2007. Oh I've gone back and re-watched the highlights but not most of them

And watching through Rose and The End of the World its shocking, having the context I have now not just for the revival but for Doctor Who in general, just how well it hits the ground running. The End of the World especially. Sure some of the special effects are dated, but otherwise I think this holds up as a contemporary episode. Its especially fascinating seeing the clear balance they're trying to strike in maintaining this as an essential part of the Doctor Who continuity while keeping it from getting frontloaded with lore and complexity

I think it'd be really fun during the off-season to do Watch/Discuss together. Pick an episode, maybe two, per week, watch, encourage discussion of those episodes as we would when the show is on air. Realistically speaking there's almost 40 weeks until we'll get any new Who, christmas aside, so it could be a fun sideshow.

I began rewatching most of New Who just before Series 8, inspired by a discussion in this thread. My intention was to go through each series and score each episode out of 10 individually to work out an average series score, and I've been doing that. I'm about halfway through Series 3 at the moment.

Fireblend

Banned
I should get around to watching some pre-2005 Doctor Who. What do people usually recommend for that? Is there any particularly good source for episodes?

Ceej

Few questions.

Found this BBC exclusive set for series 8 http://www.bbcshop.com/science-fiction/doctor-who-series-8-bbc-shop-exclusive-blu-ray/invt/bbcbd0289

I'm in the US. Will this special series 8 set play on my Xbox One?

EDIT: Found a pic on Amazon UK saying that the Season 8 blu-ray (the normal one) is 1080i. WTF? Deep Breath standalone, box sets and other specials are all 1080p why are they backtracking on this? Disappointed if universal.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Tdb+djcEL._SL1417_.jpg

Also, is it just a special packaging or are there likely to be the same/more extras than the standard release based on past special editions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3JRCCO/

Have any others in the US ordered from BBC shop and how long did it take to get?

Finally on a different note, any idea how long a series soundtrack would typically take to come out?

hamchan

I'll be back listening to the large Big Finish backlog. So many hours of quality content there.

Will also be up for a rewatch or maybe a run through some classic episodes. Always wanted to try some classic Who but haven't had the good impetus to start it.

A-V-B

I for one think the Pasternoster crew are a blight on the show really. Hate 'em. Shame, since they were good in their first few appearances.

I was soooo excited after Good Man Goes to War. I was like, finally, the Doctor has a crew! I can't wait to see what they're like elsewhere!

...repeat joke recycling ad infinitum. Poor, poor Paternoster Gang. They coulda been contenders!

Few questions.

Found this BBC exclusive set for series 8 http://www.bbcshop.com/science-fiction/doctor-who-series-8-bbc-shop-exclusive-blu-ray/invt/bbcbd0289

I'm in the US. Will this special series 8 set play on my Xbox One?

EDIT: Found a pic on Amazon UK saying that the Season 8 blu-ray (the normal one) is 1080i. WTF? Deep Breath standalone, box sets and other specials are all 1080p why are they backtracking on this? Disappointed if universal.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81Tdb+djcEL._SL1417_.jpg

Also, is it just a special packaging or are there likely to be the same/more extras than the standard release based on past special editions?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00I3JRCCO/

Have any others in the US ordered from BBC shop and how long did it take to get?

Finally on a different note, any idea how long a series soundtrack would typically take to come out?

You might want to try asking on Roobarb's forum at
http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/
There's a Doctor Who forum with a DVD/BR subthread.

So I've decided to go back and watch all of NuWho sequentially since I honestly haven't rewatched most of it, well, since I first saw it starting circa 2007. Oh I've gone back and re-watched the highlights but not most of them

And watching through Rose and The End of the World its shocking, having the context I have now not just for the revival but for Doctor Who in general, just how well it hits the ground running. The End of the World especially. Sure some of the special effects are dated, but otherwise I think this holds up as a contemporary episode. Its especially fascinating seeing the clear balance they're trying to strike in maintaining this as an essential part of the Doctor Who continuity while keeping it from getting frontloaded with lore and complexity

Call me crazy, but I always thought that Eccleston was the best reboot Doctor. He and Tennant are very close in their personality, but Eccleston just has this undertone of being a lot more serious underneath the layer. Tennant had it too, but he was also quite a bit more goofy.

Plus, Eccleston's run has some of the best episodes in general. I think there's not a single episode in that run that I genuinely dislike. Dalek also is my top Dalek episode in all of the new serials.

I think it'd be really fun during the off-season to do Watch/Discuss together. Pick an episode, maybe two, per week, watch, encourage discussion of those episodes as we would when the show is on air. Realistically speaking there's almost 40 weeks until we'll get any new Who, christmas aside, so it could be a fun sideshow.

I began rewatching most of New Who just before Series 8, inspired by a discussion in this thread. My intention was to go through each series and score each episode out of 10 individually to work out an average series score, and I've been doing that. I'm about halfway through Series 3 at the moment.

I was thinking the other day of going through and rewatching all the Christmas episodes before this years. Then I remembered 90% are of questionable quality so decided against it.

A rewatch would definitely be good though. Maybe go through and take a random 9th Doctor story one week, then 10th the next, 11th after that. Otherwise we may end up watching zero Season 1 stories. Possibly throw in a few classic classics as well, to give people an excuse and opportunity to watch some of that stuff? I'd love to have a big discussion of a Baker or McCoy episode. And those are probably more readily available. By purchasing legally acquired DVDs naturally.

The Technomancer

Call me crazy, but I always thought that Eccleston was the best reboot Doctor. He and Tennant are very close in their personality, but Eccleston just has this undertone of being a lot more serious underneath the layer. Tennant had it too, but he was also quite a bit more goofy.

Plus, Eccleston's run has some of the best episodes in general. I think there's not a single episode in that run that I genuinely dislike. Dalek also is my top Dalek episode in all of the new serials.

The volume of Tennant's episodes with the corresponding number of high points just pushes him over the edge into being my favorite, but yeah, Eccleston was damn good. I would pay most anything if we had gotten just a second series with him

Eccleston is still currently my favourite nuwho doctor.

listage once more:

McCoy
Eccleston
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Tennant
Capaldi
Hartnell
McGann
Smith
Davison
CBaker

I can imagine Capaldi going up if he gets more to put his teeth into.

Ranking Doctors is tough, because I love all but one of them. However, if I had to make a list, I think it would look like this:

Tom Baker
Colin Baker
William Hartnell
Christopher Eccleston
Jon Pertwee
Peter Davison
Patrick Troughton
David Tennant
Sylvester McCoy
Paul McGann
Peter Capaldi
Matt Smith

My Top 6 are all a little bit distanced from the pack, but I could put them in just about any order. Everyone else aside from Smith is pretty close. Capaldi could definitely move further up the list with another good season.

Man the hate for Colin Baker makes me so sad. I think he's sincerely underrated, and his performance is really good. It's not his fault the scripts were so bad lol.

xandaca

Man the hate for Colin Baker makes me so sad. I think he's sincerely underrated, and his performance is really good. It's not his fault the scripts were so bad lol.

Colin Baker would be at the bottom of my list too, but it is mostly down to the scripts: his performances were as good as they could've been given the material, but every Doctor IMO has at the very least been interesting and brought something different to the character, so in the end it really does come down to a large extent to who got the best material to work with.

Also, McCoy No.1.

Listwars? Listwars.

Tom Baker
Pertwee
Troughton
Capaldi
Hartnell
Tennant
Eccleston
Colin Baker
Hurt
Smith
McGann
McCoy
Davison

Ugh. That was hard. I get the sense that if I did it again in 6 months, it'll be completely different.

The Technomancer

Peter Davison was the one I most remember from childhood, although I couldn't for the life of you tell you what any of the stories I saw were about, except that I'm almost positive one involved the Silurians (or some other race of ancient people who lived underground) because that one always kind of stuck with me

Top 4, order changes: Smith, Tom Baker, Eccleston, Troughton.

The rest:

Hartnell
Capaldi
Tennant
Hurt
Davison
Pertwee

McGann
McCoy

Colin Baker

Camwi

The volume of Tennant's episodes with the corresponding number of high points just pushes him over the edge into being my favorite, but yeah, Eccleston was damn good. I would pay most anything if we had gotten just a second series with him

It really is a shame he didn't get a second season. There was a darkness to the character that he did really well.

My intention was to go through each series and score each episode out of 10 individually to work out an average series score, and I've been doing that. I'm about halfway through Series 3 at the moment.

I did the same thing, in fact, when i did a classic rewatch a couple of years i gave every story a score out of 100. I have list for best season, best doctor, best writer lol

my scores for new Who (need to rewatch season 8)

5 - 71.7
1 - 69.7
6 - 67.818
7 - 66.8
8 - 62.909
4 - 59.3
2 - 58.36
3 - 57.43
2009 Specials - 50.625

I did the same thing, in fact, when i did a classic rewatch a couple of years i gave every story a score out of 100. I have list for best season, best doctor, best writer lol

my scores for new Who (need to rewatch season 8)

5 - 71.7
1 - 69.7
6 - 67.818
7 - 66.8
8 - 62.909
4 - 59.3
2 - 58.36
3 - 57.43
2009 Specials - 50.625

Surprised to see such a low score for the season that had Human Nature, The Family of Blood, Blink & Utopia. Dalek in NY & the master stuff post-gollum are clunkers, but overall it's better then any of the moff seasons imo

Fine, have at thee. Keep in mind I've watched very little classic Who.

Matt Smith
David Tennant
Peter Capaldi
Paul McGann
Christopher Eccleston
Patrick Troughton
John Hurt
Tom Baker
Peter Davison
William Hartnell
Sylvester McCoy
Colin Baker
Jon Pertwee

Degree of Difficulty: I'm incorporating Big Finish Dramas where I can, and I've listened to a LOT of them. This obviously helps McGann, Colin Baker, Davison, and McCoy, while slightly hurting Tom Baker.

13) William Hartnell
12) John Hurt
11) Jon Pertwee
10) Colin Baker (normally he'd be dead last - This is the biggest Audio Drama boost)
9) Peter Davison
8) Sylvester McCoy
7) Patrick Troughton
6) Peter Capaldi
5) Matt Smith
4) Paul McGann (2nd biggest Audio Drama boost. He's really damned good in almost every one)
3) Christopher Eccleston
2) David Tennant
1) Tom Baker

I'm looking forward to it.

I find episodes that I wouldn't have liked if Matt had done them I really like because of Capaldi, His roughness is a great quality, one of the reasons I really liked CE as a doctor.

But what do I know, I like episodes that all of GAF seem to hate so.

I love both Capaldi and Smith, and the prospect of a 55th anniversary episode with the two of them makes me a little bit too excited. Dat banter tho.

I love both Capaldi and Smith, and the prospect of a 55th anniversary episode with the two of them makes me a little bit too excited. Dat banter tho.

If I had my way I'd see a Hurt + Capaldi + Smith + Mcgann + Eccelstone + Tennant episode but it's never happening. 50th was the only time something that big would happen.

If I had my way I'd see a Hurt + Capaldi + Smith + Mcgann + Eccelstone + Tennant episode but it's never happening. 50th was the only time something that big would happen.

Eh, minus the Eccleston there's absolutely no reason why that wouldn't happen again in the future. And I guess probably Hurt due to his age and very limited character nature. Capaldi loves Who, Matt Smith sounded super-conflicted about leaving in the first place, Tennant has said he'd come back, and McGann inevitably would too. I know Moffat said he didn't want to do loads of multi-Doctor episodes, but for special occasions, why not? Also... Moffat won't be round for the 55th most likely :)

I really really want a Sonic Screwdriver. How many hints must I drop to my girlfriend that I want it as a "gag" gift... except I'll use it all the time as an actual thing...

Metalmarc

I should get around to watching some pre-2005 Doctor Who. What do people usually recommend for that? Is there any particularly good source for episodes?

I grew up in The Sylvester McCoy era, and for a couple of years thats all i saw, then sometime early to mid 1990's (when Dr Who had its dark times much like Star wars had) we got a channel called UK Gold which started us brits right back at the beginning with William Hartnell

Me and my dad would mostly make sure to watch every single:

Dalek and Cybermen stories of every Doctor. Then we'd watch The Three Doctors, the Five Doctors and the Two doctors episodes. Thats what i'd reccomend first, unless you want to watch them All.

Blader

Eh, minus the Eccleston there's absolutely no reason why that wouldn't happen again in the future. And I guess probably Hurt due to his age and very limited character nature. Capaldi loves Who, Matt Smith sounded super-conflicted about leaving in the first place, Tennant has said he'd come back, and McGann inevitably would too. I know Moffat said he didn't want to do loads of multi-Doctor episodes, but for special occasions, why not? Also... Moffat won't be round for the 55th most likely :)

and Eccleston will get old and desperate for it eventually anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom