• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Off-Season | Hey Missy, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That clip got me more interested in the Santa thing, looks like an interesting spin.

Quick

Banned
Santa Nick Frost?? Now we need Simmon Peg as his ally and we'd have all be correct in the universe.

snapshot200505072000051lo.png

Bluth54

I wanted Capaldi to have a new screwdriver so I can add it to my collection.

Yeah I think it's strange he didn't get a new one, a new one would of meant a new toy they could sell.

Plus I feel like Matt's sonic screwdriver was made for him. It's much larger then most sonics and it works well with the type of physical acting Matt did. I think Capaldi should of gotten a newer, smaller screwdriver.

Quick

Banned
Yeah I think it's strange he didn't get a new one, a new one would of meant a new toy they could sell.

Plus I feel like Matt's sonic screwdriver was made for him. It's much larger then most sonics and it works well with the type of physical acting Matt did. I think Capaldi should of gotten a newer, smaller screwdriver.

The Twelfth Doctor seems like a pretty low maintenance guy when it comes to tech. Keeping his sonic screwdriver the same from Eleven seems like something he would do.

Now I'm excited.

Also, someone explain the tangerine thing. I know as a kid I'd heard something about them but I assume it's a UK thing? I never got tangerines as a kid.

They symbolise the bags of gold from one of the original st nicholas stories. Plus just after WW2 it was a luxury so satsumas were a welcome sight in christmas stockings for a generation.

So, I picked up the latest DWM and in the Ask Steven Moffat section there's some neat questions and responses:

Q: Was the barn Clara visits in Listen on Gallifrey, or a different planet? The sky didn't look burnt orange when we saw the outside of the barn in The Day of the Doctor, so does this mean its another planet?

A: In my head, he's in the wastelands of Gallifrey (where the burnt orange dims to a lovely blue.) Originally the script specified this, but I cut that, to give myself some wiggle room, should i ever need it. I wonder if this is a Time Lock question? Gallifrey and the events of the Time War are supposed to be held in a Time Lock, preventing the Doctor's return. However, in The Day of the Doctor, the Moment not only unlocked those events, she also allowed them to change. The Doctor doesn't realise it yet, but, as demonstrated in Listen, the Time Lock no longer holds.

Q: Do you think the Twelfth Doctor and Amy Pond would get along if they ever met?

A:
AMY: Doctor!!
The Doctor: Amy! It's me.
Amy: This is amazing! I never thought I'd see you again.
The Doctor: It's me, the Doctor.
Amy: I know it's you. Why do you keep saying its you?
The Doctor: I changed my face.
Amy: A bit I suppose.
The Doctor: I look completely different. I look older.
Amy: A bit older.
The Doctor: I'm a completely different Doctor!
Amy: A bit different.
The Doctor: Completely different.
Amy: Tell you whats good, though.
The Doctor: Oh, Fine, tell me! Tell me what's good, Pond!
Amy: You've managed to lose that accent.

Interesting that the Time lock is no longer in place, I mean it makes sense not to be, but I hope at some point they make reference to it.
And I imagine the meeting of the Twelfth and Amy might be a bit different to the above, but its nice to imagine that with Capaldi and Gillan.

Interesting that the Time lock is no longer in place, I mean it makes sense not to be, but I hope at some point they make reference to it.
And I imagine the meeting of the Twelfth and Amy might be a bit different to the above, but its nice to imagine that with Capaldi and Gillan.

It also means all the horrors like the nightmare child and the could've been king should be out there now.

hamchan

If the time lock doesn't hold and a TARDIS can get in and out of pocket dimension Gallifrey so easily using that memory travel, then why aren't all the time lords out of there by now?

If the time lock doesn't hold and a TARDIS can get in and out of pocket dimension Gallifrey so easily using that memory travel, then why aren't all the time lords out of there by now?

"Current" Gallifrey is in the pocket dimension, the tardis took them to a Gallifrey sometime in the past, I assume

I've been re-watching early New Who because whenever I attempt to remember the Tennant-era, a red mist descends and I am filled with a sense of righteous indignation. But it can't possibly be that bad since everyone seems to like it so much. Hence, the re-watch.

I've barreled through Eccleston's run. I've noticed a few things that I've forgotten.

The pilot is bizarre: The music is terrible and way too loud; the characters speak really quickly and have thicker accents; Mickey is immediately likable; there's clearly romance brewing between the Doctor and Rose, even before he regenerated; the Doctor says some really weird shit like he can feel the Earth rotating; and Rose clumsily swings on a chain to save the Doctor.

Other stray observations: RTD really, really likes killing one-off characters. The show is horribly pessimistic about like everything, especially with the Fourth Great Human Empire stuff. Parting of the Ways is bullshit; Rose becomes like a time wizard and just beats all of the Daleks with magic. Also, the Daleks literally fell through a time-hole and escaped the Time Lock, so no one should be shocked that similar bullshit can be pulled to save the Time Lords.

Overall, however, I liked the first season a little more than I remembered. Even though not every episode was great, it was still fun, and I could tell they were trying really, really hard to modernize the show. I think they went a little overboard with stuff like killer reality shows (except the Anne Droid, which is a really good gag), but at least it wasn't boring. Even the farting alien episodes were vaguely entertaining.

Moving on to Ten, The Christmas Invasion is also better than I remember, even if it has that weird, misogynistic ending and the aliens look like the bad guys from Galaxy Quest. I liked that he just fucking iced that guy. Then I fell asleep during New Earth because it was so boring.

Fox Mulder

I just started watching this a few weeks ago on Netflix and like it. Better late than never.

just finished Girl in the Fireplace and whoa. Great stuff already.

Quick

Banned
I just started watching this a few weeks ago on Netflix and like it. Better late than never.

just finished Girl in the Fireplace and whoa. Great stuff already.

Girl in the Fireplace is one of my favourite episodes. It personally still holds up on multiple viewings.

I've been re-watching early New Who because whenever I attempt to remember the Tennant-era, a red mist descends and I am filled with a sense of righteous indignation. But it can't possibly be that bad since everyone seems to like it so much. Hence, the re-watch.

I've barreled through Eccleston's run. I've noticed a few things that I've forgotten.

The pilot is bizarre: The music is terrible and way too loud; the characters speak really quickly and have thicker accents; Mickey is immediately likable; there's clearly romance brewing between the Doctor and Rose, even before he regenerated; the Doctor says some really weird shit like he can feel the Earth rotating; and Rose clumsily swings on a chain to save the Doctor.

Other stray observations: RTD really, really likes killing one-off characters. The show is horribly pessimistic about like everything, especially with the Fourth Great Human Empire stuff. Parting of the Ways is bullshit; Rose becomes like a time wizard and just beats all of the Daleks with magic. Also, the Daleks literally fell through a time-hole and escaped the Time Lock, so no one should be shocked that similar bullshit can be pulled to save the Time Lords.

Overall, however, I liked the first season a little more than I remembered. Even though not every episode was great, it was still fun, and I could tell they were trying really, really hard to modernize the show. I think they went a little overboard with stuff like killer reality shows (except the Anne Droid, which is a really good gag), but at least it wasn't boring. Even the farting alien episodes were vaguely entertaining.

Moving on to Ten, The Christmas Invasion is also better than I remember, even if it has that weird, misogynistic ending and the aliens look like the bad guys from Galaxy Quest. I liked that he just fucking iced that guy. Then I fell asleep during New Earth because it was so boring.

There was a bit of talk about it earlier in the thread, but I think one of the key differences between Moffat and RTD is that the latter writes a very pessimistic view of the universe; he writes a Doctor who is tortured and constantly facing a series of bad choices where he tries to pick the least bad thing, and that often involves death and destruction all the same, hes a universe where it's a constant battle for survival -- he ultimately writes that humanity becomes desperate at the end of the universe and tries to travel through time to murder and steal from their own! It's grim. Even the reality TV show stuff; you look at it and on the surface it's silly and camp, and it is -- but then you actually think about what's being said about the nature of humanity in those shows existing in Doctor Who's vision of the future and you realize how awful it is. Or you have The Master being camply evil and dancing around, but then suddenly he's revealed to be beating his wife and suddenly everything else he does is tainted (in a good way for the story) by it.

Moffat's view of Doctor Who, as personified in Day of the Doctor's time war reveal, is that there isn't a single situation where the Doctor wouldn't somehow find a better way. It's generally an optimistic world view versus a pessimistic one, and it's actually a fascinating way in which their eras differ! Neither one is better or worse for it, IMO, just... different. Interestingly, Series 8 has trended back towards how it was under RTD, with Moffat depicting a much less kind worldview, which is interesting; so I guess a degree of it had to do with Smith being an incredible fairytale Doctor.

That 'turn of the earth' speech is, I think, one of the best snippets of dialogue there's been in the show. It's just great:
"Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it... The turn of the earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour. The entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty seven thousand miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world. And, if we let go...

That's who I am. Now forget me, Rose Tyler. Go home."​

It's just a great 'who are you' moment for the character that's rarely bested. There's a lot of charm in the other way, too... one of my favourite moments in New Who history is the Amy/Doctor exchange at the end of The Eleventh Hour -- "Are you from another planet? // Yeah. // Kay." So simple. In, out, done.

A-V-B

The Time Lock no longer applies to people who were outside it when it was created. They can now enter and leave Gallifrey at any time. Hence why the Doctor and the Master can travel freely (remember: Master was at the end of time as Prof Yana)

Those who were in Gallifrey when it was instated? Still boned.

Voila. I fixed it.

xandaca

The details in RTD's tenure got insanely dark at times. I remember in the Dalek attack in Parting Of The Ways being described as so severe that entire continents started melting away. In Sound Of Drums, it's suggested that the Master took Lucy Saxon to see mankind disfiguring itself in despair at not finding Utopia at the death of time, which is what drove her mad. Then there's Turn Left, in which the human race quickly descends into authoritarian fascism and labour camps after a series of disasters (a damningly likely probability, despite being presented as camply as expected). It might be why, for the many positive aspects of Moffat's tenure as showrunner, the series has felt more disposable with him in charge. Under RTD, the Whoniverse was a place where terrible things not only could happen, but could happen easily, so whenever the Doctor failed, there was a real sense of catastrophe as you knew the suffering that was likely to ensue. Under Moffat, you get told a lot about the end of this, that and the other, but never see the actual damage. Might also be why it's easier to forgive some of RTD's deus ex machinae (not so much Floating Angel Doctor, but possibly the others), where they're a relief, compared to Moffat's, where they're highlighted because the gravity of the situation they're supposedly relieving has not been adequately communicated to viewers.

It's a theory, anyway.

(And before someone comes charging in with accusations, I don't hate Moffat at all and think some of his work both as a writer under RTD and showrunner has been outstanding. I do think he needs a break though, as the quality has been unsurprisingly wobbling since he's been in charge of both Who and Sherlock)

I finally saw the 96 movie. I kinda liked it.

That's with seriously lowered expectations, of course, and a lot of handwaving away stuff that doesn't really fit with Who. But McGann and Roberts were great. I really likeEric Roberts as the Master, in fact. He did that balance between camp and menacing very well, and had some really great lines.

Anyway, this is reinforcing my love of the 8th, based previously only on Night of the Doctor and two Big Finishes. He was a great Doctor, and I'm looking forward to more Big Finishes.

I think Capaldi is the only Doctor who can pull off a hoodie.

Probably because he's already quintessential for the role by his very nature, so any deviations against the stereotype fit in a lot smoother. As opposed to how Matt's wardrobe department had to work overtime to make him look suitable.

Holy shit, was he? Where was that, I must've missed that bit.

Lucy's got a (healing) black eye, some marks on her arms etc, and flinches every time he goes remotely near her (and then ultimately betrays her) in the second part, yeah. They never say 'he's beating her' because children, but it's there. I really love her characterisation throughout; great little performance considering how few lines she speaks. Meant to be the anti-Rose, and it works perfectly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think Capaldi is the only Doctor who can pull off a hoodie.

Probably because he's already quintessential for the role by his very nature, so any deviations against the stereotype fit in a lot smoother. As opposed to how Matt's wardrobe department had to work overtime to make him look suitable.
It does look great, yeah. Capaldi really rocked his whole wardrobe, I liked the direction they went with his clothes a lot. I found myself looking forward to seeing the differences in the outfit and it's something I usually don't pay much attention too.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
He said he requested the suit be easy for cosplayers to replicate.

Still haven't seen one.

Where are you at? I saw several 12th doctor cosplayers in San Diego Comic Con and Comikaze Expo,

At least in the California Anime and Comic Con circuit, Capaldi's doctor is enormously popular. Heck, there were some running around in Pacific media Expo last weekend.

I finally saw the 96 movie. I kinda liked it.

That's with seriously lowered expectations, of course, and a lot of handwaving away stuff that doesn't really fit with Who. But McGann and Roberts were great. I really likeEric Roberts as the Master, in fact. He did that balance between camp and menacing very well, and had some really great lines.

Anyway, this is reinforcing my love of the 8th, based previously only on Night of the Doctor and two Big Finishes. He was a great Doctor, and I'm looking forward to more Big Finishes.

What did you think of McCoy's tardis? Personally my favourite one ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom