• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Boem

I wonder how long the wait until Christmas is going to be. Meaning: are they going to end on a cliffhanger that's going to lead us straight into the final Capaldi story, or is it going to be the more standard end-of-season ending where everything is more-or-less tied up with a nice bow.

If a certain rumor about a certain character (you know the one if you know the spoiler, the biggest one) popping up is true, I wouldn't mind seeing a quick glimpse of him at the end of this one. Very curious to see how that's going to work out.

My biggest worry about the next time trailer was that it was going to be big and frantic, and that it would lose all the atmosphere and interactions of WEAT. Glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case.

I wonder how long the wait until Christmas is going to be. Meaning: are they going to end on a cliffhanger that's going to lead us straight into the final Capaldi story, or is it going to be the more standard end-of-season ending where everything is more-or-less tied up with a nice bow.

If a certain rumor about a certain character (you know the one if you know the spoiler, the biggest one) popping up is true, I wouldn't mind seeing a quick glimpse of him at the end of this one. Very curious to see how that's going to work out.

They will wrap up the story from part 1 and then tease something for the Christmas special as they have done a few times in the past. That's what I assume.

iFirez

We're not going to get a Christmas trailer until later this year right? Probably won't see footage from it until maybe even November (they're filming right now).

I just want to see more of the cold open we got last week, Moffat has returned to the idea of the Doctor regenerating outside the Tardis and I love it. (I know 11 did too but he didn't change until he was back in the Tardis).

We're not going to get a Christmas trailer until later this year right? Probably won't see footage from it until maybe even November (they're filming right now).

I just want to see more of the cold open we got last week, Moffat has returned to the idea of the Doctor regenerating outside the Tardis and I love it. (I know 11 did too but he didn't change until he was back in the Tardis).

We'll get a small 10 second trailer with 5 seconds of that being text.

At best.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Nardole is actually the regenerated Jenny. So is Missy. And the Doctor can't handle all this Jenny so he runs away to the Pole and regenerates because being a clone father is tough.

Sorry.

bth_Obvious.gif

The same Twitter account from above (@GirlyLetters) has posted a excerpt from the most recent Doctor Who magazine

that says there will be an official announcement from the BBC on the 13th Doctor shortly after the finale airs (around July 1st).

I'm curious as to how Moffat will explain the wig (it looked like a bad wig) Capaldi was wearing in the regeneration tease.

Or if it was just a really bad hair day

SpaceWolf

Banned
The same Twitter account from above (@GirlyLetters) has posted a excerpt from the most recent Doctor Who magazine

that says there will be an official announcement from the BBC on the 13th Doctor shortly after the finale airs (around July 1st).

It'll be a woman, I feel it in my bones.

I don't think DWM actually said that the Thirteenth Doctor's imminently going to be announced; reads more like its talking about the cast for the Christmas Special to me.

Could you good folks please put responses like this in spoilers? I can infer exactly what you're talking about. Thank you.

There is nothing remotely spoilery about the discussion.

There is announcement for the 13th Doctor coming in the near future.

I don't think it'll be a woman (which sucks, because I also been calling Olivia Colman since Chibnall got announced) primarily because of Chibnall's botching the question when it was lobbed at him, and making it sound like he believed casting a woman as the doctor was somehow akin to "gimmickry" or whatever.

So if we're getting some sort of announcement about the 13th Doctor after Saturday's episode, it'll probably be one of the three beardy attractive younger men that keep getting rumored.

(beardy Doctors are cool, too)

(but I'd love it if it was Colman)

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think it'll be a woman (which sucks, because I also been calling Olivia Colman since Chibnall got announced) primarily because of Chibnall's botching the question when it was lobbed at him, and making it sound like he believed casting a woman as the doctor was somehow akin to "gimmickry" or whatever.

So if we're getting some sort of announcement about the 13th Doctor after Saturday's episode, it'll probably be one of the three beardy attractive younger men that keep getting rumored.

(beardy Doctors are cool, too)

(but I'd love it if it was Colman)

Nerdist seemed strangely adamant that it was going to be
Michaela Coel
, but I don't know how reputable they usually are.

In terms of female contenders, I'd be pretty onboard for Keeley Hawes, despite that choice being painfully unimaginative. Then again, I'm one of those weirdos who'd like to see her come onboard the show one day as Romana or The Rani someday. I'd be interested in seeing another female timelady character for changing up the dynamic of the show, perhaps even as a temprorary companion.

It's my theory that to find the best Doctor, you take someone who might usually be cast as a villain, but has a bit of wit. There's a bit of menace that runs through almost every incarnation. So that's the kind of woman I'd cast. Scary and funny.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Michaela Cole (who would be an amazing fucking choice, I thought) already said she wasn't going to be doing it, unfortunately.

Well, surely she would be contractually obligated to deny she's doing it until the BBC get the chance to announce it in their own time.

There could still be a chance.

Well, surely she would be contractually obligated to deny she's doing it

I believe you actually can't do that due to the way the BBC works. Like, if she was doing it, and someone asked, she couldn't flat out lie about not doing it.

I think someone's broken down why that is earlier in the thread? I didn't know about it prior, either.

I believe you actually can't do that due to the way the BBC works. Like, if she was doing it, and someone asked, she couldn't flat out lie about not doing it.

I think someone's broken down why that is earlier in the thread? I didn't know about it prior, either.
Something to do with the BBC being a government entity I believe

Ruff

I for one really appreciate the character arc and growth that Capaldi's hair has shown through his tenure as the Doc

SpaceWolf

Banned

Wow, if true, I had no idea about this. Thanks.

Gotta admit, as much as I love Missy & Twelve (and even Bill & Nardole - who'da thunk I'd be missing NARDOLE) I sorta like the idea of everything getting clean slated. There's a refreshing aspect to it that we haven't really gotten since Season 5.

Mariolee

Gotta admit, as much as I love Missy & Twelve (and even Bill & Nardole - who'da thunk I'd be missing NARDOLE) I sorta like the idea of everything getting clean slated. There's a refreshing aspect to it that we haven't really gotten since Season 5.

Not surprised about Nardole, Matt Lucas is a funny dude and a perfect comedic relief character whose aloofness is perfect alongside the Doctor's more serious side.

I maintain that I'll be astonished if Chibnall casts a woman on his first go. I feel certain it'll be somebody in their thirties, a dashing Tennant 2.0. Especially given the comments from he and some of his closest collaborators that seems to repeatedly suggest a 'return' to the more fast and loose family-friendly style of Davies' work - there's an air of "let's emulate the series at its most successful [in the UK]", and that was Series 4, and I have a feeling the casting will reflect that.

This is how it is, yes. When Eccleston's departure leaked right in the middle of the Series 1 production cycle, they had to confirm it, because RTD and Gardner couldn't sit in interviews and lie, and a no comment gives them no scope to control the message, since a no comment basically serves as a confirmation. When The Sun got hold of Catherine Tate's casting two weeks before they'd planned to announce it, they pressed the nuclear button when the Sun reached out for comment and announced it straight away, thus ruining the Sun's scoop, ha. They can't lie. Not about casting and things where taxpayer money is involved, anyway. Plot points not influenced by things like casting, they lie all the time. It's a weird line.

In this sense I'm more suspicious of the people who have said nothing (IE: Kris Marshall) than those who have spoke up about it in any way, be that denials or people saying "well, that'd be nice". Matt came out of nowhere, but Tennant leaked too and was connected to RTD/Gardner because of Casanova, and notably for the two weeks before he was actually announced but his name was all over the part in the papers, nobody said anything - not the BBC, not RTD, not Tennant's agent...

Yeah, that's a great way to put it. It woulda never occurred to me to think of him like that, but now that it's just plainly stated - yup. Nardole is a great update to the K9 role.

Boem

Also from DWM, and I'm just going to quote the full piece here, is this lovely thing from Moffat describing writing his last script. No big plot revelations or anything, just a last hurrah from the man himself. Him answering letters from fans was always the best part of DWM, and even if many here seem to have fallen off the show a bit, I think we can all agree the man deserves a lot of credit for all of his hard work. I thought this was heartwarming in a weird way:

The Last Time Round

I've delivered! I've delivered the last Doctor Who script I'll ever write! Only counting solo-written ones, and ignoring credited and uncredited rewrites and minisodes, that's 42 in total, I think. Good number, 42. The Douglas Adams number. Back in the day I wrote 43 episodes of Press Gang, but they were shorter, so I suppose that I've written more Doctor Who than I've written anything else. Who cares about this? Me, that's who. Nobody else in the whole world gives a damn about those numbers (not even Tom Spilsbury, and numbers are his favourite thing), but what are you going to do about it - fire me?

Oh, but it's such a simple thing to say, that I delivered a script - so as it's my last go, let's unpack that a little.

A few weeks ago, I was slaving over my first draft. That's the big one, the first draft. Don't let anyone tell you that the first draft is just a discussion document or a Work In Progress - it's not 'just' anything. It's your honest, heartfelt, flailing attempt at perfection. You're aiming for the top of the mountain. You're going to miss, of course, but you've got to try or it means nothing. Whoever got out of bed who didn't have hope?

Something else: the first draft isn't the first draft - it's just the first draft you let anyone read. No idea how many before that. How many times you write each scene, in fact. The first draft is just where it starts for everyone else.

I finished, I pressed SEND and because it was a warm evening, I went out to sit in the garden. I made it halfway to my chair in confidence. Then I started worrying about just how bad that script might be...

The next day, after a production meeting, I sat in the Soho sunshine, on a bench with Brian Minchin, and because time was pressing, he gave me a few notes. Delicate and kind, of course. I listened, and didn't agree, but I promised to have a look.

And when I read it again, oh, I didn't like it at all. Argh, the pain. The parts I worked hardest on seemed scrappy and disjointed. The few sections I'd rushed a bit were the only ones I liked at all. And of course, all Brian's notes were entirely correct. "Not up to scratch," I sighed to my wife that evening. I went back in from the garden, sat down at my computer, and started the second draft.

Ah, the second draft. It sounds so simple, doesn't it? What it means is this: I wrote it all over again. That's what you do. You start from the beginning, you remember what the point of the story was, you fight your way back to what you were trying to say in the first place, and you start climbing back up the mountain. Hopefully the right mountain this time. Oh, and you add more jokes. Always add more jokes. No sane person ever objected to laughing. If you're the only person not laughing at the joke, good news - you are the joke!

I slashed and burned and rearranged. Yeah, that third word really lets that sentence down, doesn't it? That wouldn't make a Game of Thrones - they slash, they burn, they move things around a bit. But hey, I'm a writer, I'm not supposed to be exciting.
This time I pressed SEND and made it all the way to my garden chair, before the stomach-clenching dread and the certainty that I'd get fired.
"They can't fire you this time, dear" said my wife without looking up.
"Did I say that out loud?" I asked.
"You don't need to," she said.

This time everyone seemed happy. Rachel Talalay, who had been happy the first time, was even happier now.
Nick Lambon, our script editor (whose brain is so clever his hair stands vertical in the updraft) said he'd had a few logical problems with the first draft, said they'd all been solved. But he had some new ones. His hair remained vertical. Mine remained curly, like it was all being sucked back down by the vacuum below.

A day passed, as days do, and everyone remained happy. I considered being happy myself, but I'm from Scotland where happy is worse than naked. Speaking of Scottish, Peter Capaldi emailed. He was mostly happy (that's Glasgow for ecstatic) but had a couple of thoughts. I read the email on my phone, held discreetly under a restaurant table as I was out for dinner with friends - they'd never have suspected a thing if I hadn't shouted, "I've got an email from Doctor Who!!"

I agreed with the first of his points immediately, but wasn't sure about the second. Peter is always clever, though, so I promised to give it a go.
The next day I sat down to my third draft. And I mean third draft. Because you can't just fiddle about with a couple of scenes, you have to start from the beginning again. You need to know the new stuff fits. So you start at the foot of the mountain and climb it all over again, making sure all the hand-holds still work. Everything must still link together, the new stuff must look like it was always there - like it's necessary. And you know what? Peter's first point worked perfectly well, but his second - a subtle realignment of the Doctor's attitude in the final scenes - was bang on the money. The ending was suddenly so much better. Doctor Who is always right.

Then, of course, the readthrough - my very last one. It went well, most of the jokes got laughs, and everyone seemed happy and/or vertically haired. I noticed there was a missing beat towards the end of the story, and we all worried there was a plot-fudge in the middle (no, really??) so I went straight home, worrying about what to do. I wrote my fourth draft the next day. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Changed more than I expected to, but it all felt sound and clear and strong. I added a joke for luck. And there it was at long, aching last - the shooting script.

Pressing SEND! Good luck studio!

We're a week into shooting now. I had a chat with Peter on the set, and we came up with a new take on a moment, which I'll try to make work later today. I have a few other ideas, and possibly a tiny extra scene, but by the time you read this, the script should be done. Well, till we tear it apart in the cutting room, and make a whole new show!
So that's how it was, the last time round. That's how it always was, back then, in those lovely days that still make me still smile as I nod to sleep in my garden chair; those dear, dead, distant days when I used to write Doctor Who.

doop_

Banned
When i heard Nardole was returning i groaned internally but he actually turned out to be a pretty great addition to the series.

foltzie1

When i heard Nardole was returning i groaned internally but he actually turned out to be a pretty great addition to the series.

See also for this phenomenon: Donna.

One time guests seem to be encouraged to ham it up, which makes sense there isn't a lot of time to develop a character so you lean into archetypes and stereotypes.

Both Tate and Lucas opted for more subtle actions for their ongoing characterizations and it helped a lot.

Top Bottom