• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

timewyrm

Also from DWM, and I'm just going to quote the full piece here, is this lovely thing from Moffat describing writing his last script. ...

Do you guys know if there are any books that go into details about first draft scripts etc ? I'd be really interested to know how some of the stories could have turned out.

Do you guys know if there are any books that go into details about first draft scripts etc ? I'd be really interested to know how some of the stories could have turned out.

Not so much for Moffat, but if you haven't read Russell T. Davies' The Writer's Tale, you absolutely need to. It's an essential text for Doctor Who in particular and for script-writing in general, and it's crammed with early Series 4/Specials ideas.

timewyrm

Not so much for Moffat, but if you haven't read Russell T. Davies' The Writer's Tale, you absolutely need to. It's an essential text for Doctor Who in particular and for script-writing in general, and it's crammed with early Series 4/Specials ideas.

Cheers, I'll have a look into that!

Yeah, that's a great way to put it. It woulda never occurred to me to think of him like that, but now that it's just plainly stated - yup. Nardole is a great update to the K9 role.

Yeah, Mickey wasn't the tin dog. The tin dog often though it knew better than the Doctor. Like Nardole!

Very, very Pertwee.

From this

_76810894_76808870.jpg

8567_1.jpg

to this

Peter-Capaldi-s-Doctor-992986.jpg

p01b4054.jpg

Missy's hair is pretty spectacularly insane right now.

I am going ALL IN on my crackpot theory that Missy was 13 all along. Peter will regen into her, and she will regen into the new doctor.

I semi-genuinely can't go back to Series 8 now because of Capaldi's flat hair.

Early Capaldi is terrifying out of context. I watched Into the Dalek recently and he's just extremely unnerving and cold.

All of which is purposeful and totally makes sense if you take Series 8 as a whole, but in comparison to now its night and day. He may actually be the Doctor who's visually as well as tonally changed the most over his run.

Vibranium

Banned
I semi-genuinely can't go back to Series 8 now because of Capaldi's flat hair.

I will never understand why the production crew made Capaldi cut his hair, after he was already shown with somewhat longer locks post-regeneration from Smith. Basically, fans had to come up with justification that his body was still stabilizing and his hair retreated a bit. I wish somone asked Moffat just for laughs.

Boem

I will never understand why the production crew made Capaldi cut his hair, after he was already shown with somewhat longer locks post-regeneration from Smith. Basically, fans had to come up with justification that his body was still stabilizing and his hair retreated a bit.

The wild hair totally suits him.

It was bitten off by that T-rex that ended up eating the Tardis during his unseen first pre-series 8 adventure.

I'm writing the script for Big Finish as we speak.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I don't think it'll be a woman (which sucks, because I also been calling Olivia Colman since Chibnall got announced) primarily because of Chibnall's botching the question when it was lobbed at him, and making it sound like he believed casting a woman as the doctor was somehow akin to "gimmickry" or whatever.

So if we're getting some sort of announcement about the 13th Doctor after Saturday's episode, it'll probably be one of the three beardy attractive younger men that keep getting rumored.

(beardy Doctors are cool, too)

(but I'd love it if it was Colman)

Bearded Colman would be a wonderful Master/Missy.

I'm sure most of you watched the live facebook interview after saturdays episode, but for those who didnt, it gave us the most clean version of Breaking The Wall, performed by The BBC National Orchestra of Wales.

Its not the long one from the episode, but this one doesnt have the added sound effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZHH2WUZZgE

Cleanest version I can find of it from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkd1eZUxzUo

It is such a beautiful piece of music, top 5 from the show since its revival. The way it just keeps building and building is amazing.

I'm truly gutted that right now theres no series 9 OST with this as a proper track.

Part of me is hoping because this has a name for the track, that theres some movement on a series 9 OST.

I really hope they do a 9 and 10 OST release after series 10 is over.

3FvdDjO.jpg

This would have been amazing to see in live action.

It's such a shame about John Hurt

I was thinking about this earlier and realized it's incompatible with canon anyway - 10 doesn't recognize him in Utopia, so they can't have met in that incarnation even if that version did fight in the war.

Ade

I was thinking about this earlier and realized it's incompatible with canon anyway - 10 doesn't recognize him in Utopia, so they can't have met in that incarnation even if that version did fight in the war.

They don't have to be in the same scenes to be in the same story.

Bluth54

I don't think DWM actually said that the Thirteenth Doctor's imminently going to be announced; reads more like its talking about the cast for the Christmas Special to me.
Given the cold open from episode 11 it wouldn't shock me if the 13th Doctor is revealed in episode 12.

Given the cold open from episode 11 it wouldn't shock me if the 13th Doctor is revealed in episode 12.

I'm totally expecting Moffat to something really, really daring with the regeneration, that also breaks the concept, will be totally retconned by Chibnall, gives us a stopgap Doctor who won't end up being the next Doctor for whatever reason. Here's where I wouldn't put it past Moffat to have a female Doctor working alongside Capaldi.
It could even be Pearl Mackie.

Razmos

The Doctor gives his heart to save Bill, the doctor dies for real when his regeneration fails and Bill becomes the new doctor and regenerates.

Kuraudo

Banned
Doctor dies outright before he can regenerate. A reformed and newly regenerated Master steps forward and says "from now on, everything I do, I do in the name of the Doctor". Then they reveal their first incarnation was Clara Oswald.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Every episode of the show so far is revealed to have been part of the computer simulation ran by those monks, who were running a simulation within that simulation with an easily discovered "flaw" of no random numbers to lull the people in the layer above into thinking they were real.

Tizoc

I'd like recommendations on more Doctor Who Audiobooks or dramas. I tend to enjoy listening to them when I am working out at the gym :p

Every episode of the show so far is revealed to have been part of the computer simulation ran by those monks, who were running a simulation within that simulation with an easily discovered "flaw" of no random numbers to lull the people in the layer above into thinking they were real.
The show or the series. Because I could go with the latter being true.

Berroclese

Neo Member
I'd like recommendations on more Doctor Who Audiobooks or dramas. I tend to enjoy listening to them when I am working out at the gym :p

Big Finish audio are great these are in no particular order but I've enjoyed them

Spare Parts

Master

the I, Davros mini series and if you enjoy that follow it up with Davros

The Chimes of Midnight

Jubilee

The Holy Terror

Ade

Follow the entire 8th Doctor Lucie Miller plot-line.

Beyond that, Spare Parts, I, Davros, Jubilee

HigXx

Finale and Xmas Spoilers
Looks like David Bradley appearing is cliffhanger. Hes been spotted with Capaldi and theres 2 Tardises on set for Xmas filming. Looks to be the WW1 Xmas Truce

SpaceWolf

Banned
Finale and Xmas Spoilers
Looks like David Bradley appearing is cliffhanger. Hes been spotted with Capaldi and theres 2 Tardises on set for Xmas filming. Looks to be the WW1 Xmas Truce

Hmm.
According to canon, the WW1 Xmas Truce was instigated by the Ninth Doctor. Guess that's about to get retconned.

Boem

What I really want is the Doctor to regenerate outside of the Tardis once again. If only to break up the tradition of the most recent 3 regenerations a bit, just go for a different visual. The Antartic thing at the beginning of the last episode looks great, for example (and it's an obvious callback to Doctor 1's regeneration, especially combined with the old Cybermen - although he also ended up regenerating in the Tardis itself right at the end).

Spoilered because it concerns a semi-confirmed returning character for christmas:
Moffat mentioned that he mostly wanted to show McGann's (and by extension Hurt's) regeneration during the 50th because the nerdy fan in him couldn't stand a Doctor's regeneration being "missing" within the tv show. Technically, the only Doctor whose regeneration is still missing is the First Doctor, since only the audio and a couple of seconds of grainy moving images exist of his ending. Could Doctor 1 showing up at Christmas be an attempt to show that again?

Maybe not since the focus will be on Capaldi's own regeneration, but it was just a thought.

Finale and Xmas Spoilers

Oooh the first Tardis is quite a bit smaller than the modern one, hope that's accurate

Hmm.
Still not sold on Bradley as the First Doctor, I'm afraid; he's was excellent in AAISAT, but his Doctor wasn't all that similar to Hartnell's.

Still, it's a killer premise; Moffat's said all along that the First is the Doctor that you'd want to have for a multi-Doctor story above all others, and he could do some genuinely incredible things with it.

iFirez

Oooh the first Tardis is quite a bit smaller than the modern one, hope that's accurate
It is. They rebuilt the exact same one from the first doctors era for An Adventure in Space and Time, it's smaller. What you can't tell is that in the 50th Anniversry episode the War Doctor and 10th Tardis' are also a bit smaller. It wasn't until Eleven's Tardis that it really bulked up... sure it's grown and changed a little over the years but they really revamped the Tardis design when Moffat came onboard.

I'm not a fan of the WW1 setting for Christmas though. I was hoping for something more epic and conclusive. Such as showing Capaldi's Doctor helping at Galifray during the 50th as we've not seen it from his perspective yet. I'm still excited for Christmas but the I prefer Doctor Who when its spacey and alien. I hadn't watched a bunch of the period episodes from 9 and 10s era until a couple of years ago purely because I didn't want to see the past when I watched doctor who, only the present and future. I have come to enjoy the more period episodes as I got older though so I'm sure Christmas being WW1 will be fine when I'm actually watching it.

I'm tempted to figure out a way to watch the final episode live. The episode will air here the following day but of course there's going to be all kinds of spoilers by then.

iFirez

I've seen so many people surprised and wondering why Capaldi is wearing a wig at the start of the episode that we got on Saturday (you know in the scene where
he starts to regenerate
). This is his actual hair, its just grown a lot since they last filmed... or thats what I've read. That scene at the start of the latest episode was also filmed very very recently and was supposedly added into the episode very last minute - early previews of the episode didn't have it included either.

Boem

I'm tempted to figure out a way to watch the final episode live. The episode will air here the following day but of course there's going to be all kinds of spoilers by then.

Are you in Europe? I think all(?) countries get BBC1. It's how I watch it, even though we also get BBC First which is apparently meant as BBC1 for anything outside of the UK, even though everyone gets that anyway.

I believe you can also pay for iPlayer outside of the UK, which would mean you could watch it right after it finishes airing. That would mean just avoiding the internet for 1 hour.

Apzu

But if she was a villain than that means that she is actually the Valleyard =O
Would Moffat really retcon the Valleyard as a woman? And the answer is, probably.

In a way, Missy being an evil doctor would mean the Doctor actually succeded in making her a good person, I guess.

Boem

You guys with your "Missy is the Doctor" or "Someone is the Valeyard" are all missing the real reveal playing out between the lines.

Nardole is the Meddling Monk.

Top Bottom